Quantcast Questions for WDW CM's. Is working there all that it is believed to be? - Page 3

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile

wow. Thanks for the info and the link. I think that is a great idea. I will apply and work something else and put my name on a list for Trails End. I love that place.
    Not much longer to go. We are looking a moving to Windemere. Anyone have any comments about that place? It is right next to where my DH will be going to school.
    01/08- Ft Wilderness
    02/07 - PO Riverside
    12/06 - Pop
    10/06 - Pop
    10/05 - Ft. Wilderness Cabins
    03/05 - POP
    04/04 - ASM/Ft. Wilderness Cabins
    12/04 - PO Riverside
    08/02 - Coronado Springs
    08/01 - Boardwalk Villas
    03/99 - Boardwalk Villas

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

windemere looks like a cool place to live and it's not to far from Disney. In fact the apparment complex behind Cast parking for the Magic Kingdom says it's located in Windemere. So happy hunting, and I look forward to being able to say welcome to the "family".
    Sandy °o° VFK name DisneyDreamin,First trip in 1972-Off site ,In between so many I can't count,3/04 PC,11/28-12/05/04 POR,Feb,13-22,'06 PC,Dec,4, 07 FWR,DVC,AKV07, DLR's DPPH 9-13-20,'09,Stitch/Buzz Complex Cast Member

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. I thought is look like a nice little place too. Hopefully the hunting goes smoothly.

By the way.....isn't it nice to finally have Intercot back today?!!
    01/08- Ft Wilderness
    02/07 - PO Riverside
    12/06 - Pop
    10/06 - Pop
    03/05 - POP
    12/04 - PO Riverside
    08/02 - Coronado Springs
    08/01 - Boardwalk Villas
    03/99 - Boardwalk Villas

CaptainJessicaSparrow Guest

Yes, it is nice to have Intercot back!

You know, that's the nice thing about Disney. They really want to find the right people for the right job. If you wanted to, you can change position every 6 months and try out everything! You can start in Merch and then decide to switch to F&B if you wanted. Or Attractions to Entertainment and back again. They want you to enjoy what you are doing so they don't mind moving people around.

I might be trying to go to Entertainment again...and risk losing the seniority I'm building for leadership through Merch just because I really want to try and see how I can do. Unfortunately, being 5'5 by Disney's height stick....(I'm actually 5'6)...

Post Thanks / Like

That's good to hear. Most companies see you working in so many jobs and wonder why you need to move around so much. I can't wait!
    Also, is there a height requirement??????
    I'm 5'2 Are they going to measure me???
    01/08- Ft Wilderness
    02/07 - PO Riverside
    12/06 - Pop
    10/06 - Pop
    03/05 - POP
    12/04 - PO Riverside
    08/02 - Coronado Springs
    08/01 - Boardwalk Villas
    03/99 - Boardwalk Villas

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainJessicaSparrow View Post
    I might be trying to go to Entertainment again...and risk losing the seniority I'm building for leadership through Merch just because I really want to try and see how I can do. Unfortunately, being 5'5 by Disney's height stick....(I'm actually 5'6)...
    I will never stop trying. My next audition will be my 5th (most likely it will be next March/April). It stinks being 5'2.

Quote Originally Posted by Harley-Davidson_Guy View Post
    That's good to hear. Most companies see you working in so many jobs and wonder why you need to move around so much. I can't wait!
    Also, is there a height requirement??????
    I'm 5'2 Are they going to measure me???
    Only if you plan on auditioning.
    Cruises:
    Feb 12-16, 2012 (Dream), Oct 20-27, 2012 (Fantasy Eastern), Sept 8-12, 2013 (Dream) Jan 20-24, 2014 (Magic) Sept 14-18, 2015 (Dream) Sept 25-29, 2017 (Dream) Sept 22-29, 2018 (Fantasy Eastern) Sept 23-27, 2019 (Dream)

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

I see! Well I don't ever plan to try out for anything so I think I'm safe.
    01/08- Ft Wilderness
    02/07 - PO Riverside
    12/06 - Pop
    10/06 - Pop
    03/05 - POP
    12/04 - PO Riverside
    08/02 - Coronado Springs
    08/01 - Boardwalk Villas
    03/99 - Boardwalk Villas

Post Thanks / Like

I would LOVE to be a performer, but have a feeling from the previous posts I would be too short

I think after hearing what Jessica has to say that merchandising is for me. I wouldn't even mind one of the smaller carts in like the AK.

DH and I were actually talking about a possible move to FL. I can't believe he even was talking about it, never thought he would even consider moving back to Orlando.

I have a question, and maybe nobody here knows but DH has *extensive* mechanical background (motorcycle, cars, jet skis, golf carts, etc). I would assume that is part of maintenance? He would love to work at the Lights, Motor, Action show because of the motorcycles and the little cars that use motorcycle engines. What are the odds? Can he be that specific in an interview? Should he bring all of his certifications etc to show his background? He would like to be hired in at a higher position because of all of his experience in this area. What do you guys think, possible?

Thanks for all the info, this thread has been facinating.
    Sarah

Next Trips:
    09/08 - CBR
    12/08 - BC

The Kids: Nala, Scooter, Pinto, Minnie, Daisy, Dory, and George

Post Thanks / Like

How tall are you? In Disney, being short can be a good thing (especially if you are 5'0 or shorter).
    Cruises:
    Feb 12-16, 2012 (Dream), Oct 20-27, 2012 (Fantasy Eastern), Sept 8-12, 2013 (Dream) Jan 20-24, 2014 (Magic) Sept 14-18, 2015 (Dream) Sept 25-29, 2017 (Dream) Sept 22-29, 2018 (Fantasy Eastern) Sept 23-27, 2019 (Dream)

Post Thanks / Like

Just curious what happens if you don't get offered a job the first time you go in? I'm starring to worry about all the "what if's". I really want to work at Disney and we are picking the Disney area to live but that is with the assumption that I'm going to get a job there. How long do you have to wait before applying again? I'd even pick Tampa if I would be offered a Reservations job. I'm easy!
    01/08- Ft Wilderness
    02/07 - PO Riverside
    12/06 - Pop
    10/06 - Pop
    03/05 - POP
    12/04 - PO Riverside
    08/02 - Coronado Springs
    08/01 - Boardwalk Villas
    03/99 - Boardwalk Villas

Quote Originally Posted by joanna71985 View Post
    I will never stop trying. My next audition will be my 5th (most likely it will be next March/April). It stinks being 5'2.
    I could be wrong, but I'm 99.99% sure that my friend is 5'2 and in Entertainment for Munks.

If I don't make it this audition (May 15th-ish), I'll switch to Ops for a bit and then try again in November!

Post Thanks / Like

Unfortunately munk is very common height.
    Cruises:

Post Thanks / Like

Just curious what happens if you don't get offered a job the first time you go in?
    As long as you meet the appearance guidelines and can smile, you will most likely be offered a job. If not, you can return the next day to try again.

Your concern here, if there is one, is that they might not be currently hiring for a role that you want. For instance, at this moment they are not hiring for full time food service positions. But you can get part time. That may change tomorrow or at any time after that. The Casting Staff hires according to the demands coming in to them from the parks and resorts.

The CMs who have responded to you in this thread (including me) have failed to provide you with an important phone number. If you call (407) 828-1000 you will get a recording that tells you what positions Disney is currently hiring for, and will give you some more information about applying for Disney jobs. But keep in mind that the available jobs, especially for full time jobs, can change from day to day.
    Ron
    INTERCOT Staff
    WDW Cast Member
    Expedition: Everest
    Kali River Rapids

Post Thanks / Like

Oops
    I knew there was/is a reason I like you Ron aka WDWdriver.
    Working in attractions is not bad, but you want to work in food and beverage. starting pay for attractions in MK is a bit lower then what jesseca posted. If you go that route I would suggest going to an attraction that is on the laid back side and not an attraction like say Space Mountain which is the opposite of say Stitch or Buzz. well anyway good luck and hope to meet you guys down here after you get down here.
    Sandy °o° VFK name DisneyDreamin,First trip in 1972-Off site ,In between so many I can't count,3/04 PC,11/28-12/05/04 POR,Feb,13-22,'06 PC,Dec,4, 07 FWR,DVC,AKV07, DLR's DPPH 9-13-20,'09,Stitch/Buzz Complex Cast Member

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Thanks for the phone number Ron!

I don't want to undercut myself and pick a "role" that pays less when I could pick one that might pay more. I would think the ride operators get paid less in general because that seems like a role that college kids would do and therefore could get away with paying less. I can't really think of seeing a lot of older people working the rides. I am leaning toward something like front desk reservations. I would enjoy doing that but I rarely run into any that look like they are very happy. I would think this is the most important place to "smile" and be friendly. That is the first contact with someone at Diseny in general and the person who can set the tone for someones vacation. I guess if given a choice of full time front desk and part time server (which I have no experiance with) I would choose front desk and know that I can put my name on a list. But I guess that list would do no good if there is someone with experiance as a part time server on the same list.
    I got a little frusterated yesterday because I went to city data web site and read some post about Orlando area and working for Disney. Some people really make Disney sound like a slave driver and called it the "evil empire". That sounds scary.
    01/08- Ft Wilderness
    02/07 - PO Riverside
    12/06 - Pop
    10/06 - Pop
    03/05 - POP
    12/04 - PO Riverside
    08/02 - Coronado Springs
    08/01 - Boardwalk Villas
    03/99 - Boardwalk Villas

Post Thanks / Like

Default single dad help

this thread is great! i have long thought of moving to and working at disney world. i dont mind the pay or hours, but with such odd hours i cant figure out how ttake care of my son and work there. any other single parents work there? how do u do it?
    Sao Feng... He's alot like me, absent my merciful nature and sense of fair play.

Post Thanks / Like

I am leaning toward something like front desk reservations. I would enjoy doing that but I rarely run into any that look like they are very happy. I would think this is the most important place to "smile" and be friendly.
    I've never worked at a resort, but I have heard that front desk can be difficult at times. If a guest is having a bad experience at a resort, the first person to hear about it will be the poor soul at the front desk.

I got a little frusterated yesterday because I went to city data web site and read some post about Orlando area and working for Disney. Some people really make Disney sound like a slave driver and called it the "evil empire". That sounds scary.
    Yeah, we all hear stuff like that. But keep in mind that there are 55,000+ CMs here. You can't expect all of them to love their jobs. As in any other job, it all comes down to whether you like your role, your work area and your managers. A good manager will do everything possible to maintain morale and a pleasant work environment. I have been lucky to have had some outstanding managers. But there are some managers here who don't measure up to the Disney standard and who don't support their people well enough. You will encounter one of those sooner or later.
    Ron
    INTERCOT Staff
    WDW Cast Member
    Expedition: Everest
    Kali River Rapids

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by parrothed26 View Post
    this thread is great! i have long thought of moving to and working at disney world. i dont mind the pay or hours, but with such odd hours i cant figure out how ttake care of my son and work there. any other single parents work there? how do u do it?
    I know of a part time server at Ft. Wilderness that works there and is a single mom. She said that Disney is very open to her needs. She picks the hours that will work out for her. She works around her son. She said that she loves Disney because of this flexability. I don't know if every department is this good.
    Thanks again Ron. I guess looking for reviews for anything you will find good and bad. I have learned that about cruises. I just don't even look anymore because it is a personal pref. For every good review there is usually a bad one to go along with it.
    I want to believe that I will get hired right away and love my job!
    I do have a small fear though. My mother is very sick and lives in Illinois. I'm sure they will be understanding if there is a death (at least I hope they will be) but I don't think I will have the ability to leave for a week to visit her if she starts her decline. I worry about that. I have had flexability for the last 15 years that if I need to leave we just leave. I haven't had to work for someone else for a long time.
    01/08- Ft Wilderness
    02/07 - PO Riverside
    12/06 - Pop
    10/06 - Pop
    03/05 - POP
    12/04 - PO Riverside
    08/02 - Coronado Springs
    08/01 - Boardwalk Villas
    03/99 - Boardwalk Villas

Post Thanks / Like

How about Character Handler? That sounds fun! Is this in the Entertainment Dept?

It would be fun to be a ride greater but I don't think I'm interested in operating a ride. Is that something that is in rotation? I guess come to think about it, you don't want to be standing there for 8 - 12 hours a day doing the same thing. Oh, well. I think it would be cool to work at the Pin Trading store! Maybe I'll ask for that! I am afraid of ending up at DAK. We went there one time in the summer and about croaked!
    01/08- Ft Wilderness
    02/07 - PO Riverside
    12/06 - Pop
    10/06 - Pop
    03/05 - POP
    12/04 - PO Riverside
    08/02 - Coronado Springs
    08/01 - Boardwalk Villas
    03/99 - Boardwalk Villas

How about Character Handler? That sounds fun! Is this in the Entertainment Dept?

It would be fun to be a ride greater but I don't think I'm interested in operating a ride. Is that something that is in rotation? I guess come to think about it, you don't want to be standing there for 8 - 12 hours a day doing the same thing. Oh, well. I think it would be cool to work at the Pin Trading store! Maybe I'll ask for that! I am afraid of ending up at DAK. We went there one time in the summer and about croaked!
    Character Handler is part of Entertainment. I might try that soon since I am not feeling challenged enough at Emporium.

I think DAK would be one of the better parks to work at because of the hours. You'll almost always be done before midnight. In fact, it'd be very rarely, if ever, that you'd be there that late. With MK, it's almost every other night. Epcot isn't so bad but I think MouseGears is always there until just around 12 or 1am.

With merchandise, however, there is no guarantee you'll have an inside job. Actually, unless you specifically request the main stores in each park, there is a 80% of you being outside or in an open store (meaning, not closed in such as carts or pin traders, etc). Which is what I love about the Emporium, nice AC all day.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: