Quantcast Questions for WDW CM's. Is working there all that it is believed to be?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Questions for WDW CM's. Is working there all that it is believed to be?

We are thinking about moving and since we think of Disney as our second home, FL seems like the place we should go. I really want to work at one of the hotels or parks. On the outside Disney seems like a great place to work. I have heard that the pay isn't all that great but then again, where is the pay great. A server at Disney told me that only a very small percent of people who apply actually get hired. I'd hate to move there and find out that I have no chance of working there. Most people probably don't typically move to FL so they can work at Disney but my DH can find work anywhere and if I have to work, it might as well be at the Happiest Place on Earth! I'd love to hear from CM's who could give me some insight! Anything would be very helpful.
    Is there anything I can do to increase my chances of getting hired? I'm sure it won't help my case for hire if I tell them upfront that I wouldn't be very good at cleaning bathrooms but I gotta tell you that I really wouldn't do it. Anything other than that, I'd be happy. I just want to work and talk with people, people who are coming to Disney to have a Disney experiance. There is nothing worse than being on vacation and everything is perfect until that one CM that is having a bad day says or does something that isn't very Disney like. It shatters the illusion.
    Also, do you know the mininum age to work there? I'm quite I'm old enough (36) but my kids would like to work there too someday. Thanks!
    01/08- Ft Wilderness
    02/07 - PO Riverside
    12/06 - Pop
    10/06 - Pop
    10/05 - Ft. Wilderness Cabins
    03/05 - POP
    04/04 - ASM/Ft. Wilderness Cabins
    12/04 - PO Riverside
    08/02 - Coronado Springs
    08/01 - Boardwalk Villas
    03/99 - Boardwalk Villas

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

My DW has worked there for almost 5 years. She works in a behind-the-scenes office where she has a lot of contact with both guests and other CMs. She definitely likes her job, but like any other job there are times when it's very frustrating. But she says the good times far outweigh the bad times.

Some of the "cons" include relatively low starting pay, odd working hours and days off, occasional mandatory overtime, and (to be expected in ANY business with 55,000+ employees) some friction among co-workers.

As far as the hiring process goes, WDW seeks people who are "people persons" with a quick smile, with a "can-do" attitude, having good work histories, and who fit the grooming standards required by the company. They look for people who are able to quickly and accurately assess problems and come to reasonable conclusions. Good oral communication skills are required. Fluency in another language is always a plus, but certainly not required.

It is true that WDW is pretty picky about who they hire, and they're usually pretty quick to weed out new hires who don't make the grade.

If you haven't already, check out the WDW Career Opportunity site; you'll get a lot of the company's side of the story there, then sit back and wait to hear from some CMs right here.

Good luck!
    Ed
    Senior Imagineer Emeritus

Welcome to the INTERCOT forums !

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your quick reply. I can't wait to hear more. I had to laugh about the "gooming standards". I am sure that my Intercot name immediately brings a picture of a rough and tumble Harley guy to mind. You know, the type that would NOT meet the grooming standards. I have wished so many times that I could change my name on here! What was I thinking when I picked that name? We dont' even own a Harley any longer. We have a Goldwing and no tatoos, no piercings, and are very clean cut.
    Anyway, thanks for the tips. I am going to keep all of this info in a file so I can be ready.
    01/08- Ft Wilderness
    02/07 - PO Riverside
    12/06 - Pop
    10/06 - Pop
    03/05 - POP
    12/04 - PO Riverside
    08/02 - Coronado Springs
    08/01 - Boardwalk Villas
    03/99 - Boardwalk Villas

Post Thanks / Like

I have worked at WDW on and off for 3 years now, in 3 different roles (soon to be 4). I love working at Disney. It's awsome getting to help make magic for the guests. I can't wait til next May, when I can move down to FL for good.
    Cruises:
    Feb 12-16, 2012 (Dream), Oct 20-27, 2012 (Fantasy Eastern), Sept 8-12, 2013 (Dream) Jan 20-24, 2014 (Magic) Sept 14-18, 2015 (Dream) Sept 25-29, 2017 (Dream) Sept 22-29, 2018 (Fantasy Eastern) Sept 23-27, 2019 (Dream)

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by joanna71985 View Post
    I have worked at WDW on and off for 3 years now, in 3 different roles (soon to be 4). I love working at Disney. It's awsome getting to help make magic for the guests. I can't wait til next May, when I can move down to FL for good.
    Thanks for the info. Is it typical to change jobs at Disney? Are CM's always changing around?
    01/08- Ft Wilderness
    02/07 - PO Riverside
    12/06 - Pop
    10/06 - Pop
    03/05 - POP
    12/04 - PO Riverside
    08/02 - Coronado Springs
    08/01 - Boardwalk Villas
    03/99 - Boardwalk Villas

Post Thanks / Like

Me And My Sister Both Worked For Disney And Loved Every Moment Of It. But It Is True Like Any Other Job There Are Pros And Cons. You Have Your Good Days And Your Bad Ones.
    Jason
    Returning guest since 1982
    1980s Poly x 5
    1990s Caribean Beach, Port NO, Coranado, AS Sports, Y & B Club x 10
    2000s POP AS SPORT, Music, Movies, CARIBEAN BEACH x 11
    Last Trip Nov 09
    NEXT TRIP Sept 11
    501st member since May 2007

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Harley-Davidson_Guy View Post
    Thanks for the info. Is it typical to change jobs at Disney? Are CM's always changing around?
    Nah. It's just because I've done 3 different College Programs (and had to keep going back to school).
    Cruises:
    Feb 12-16, 2012 (Dream), Oct 20-27, 2012 (Fantasy Eastern), Sept 8-12, 2013 (Dream) Jan 20-24, 2014 (Magic) Sept 14-18, 2015 (Dream) Sept 25-29, 2017 (Dream) Sept 22-29, 2018 (Fantasy Eastern) Sept 23-27, 2019 (Dream)

Post Thanks / Like

I met a woman working at Epcot and we spoke a boit about it. She's an RN like me and her and her DH moved to Orlando to work at Disney. They both still worked part time in theor original jobs. She said the pay was really low at Disney and they had to work other jobs. She said Disney does that in the beginning to weed out the people who don't really want to be there" It made sense to me. I think it's not just about the money. I have a good job but it's so depressing at times. I would love a job where I bought the "magic" to people. What a change that is instead of telling people how sorry you are for the death of their loved one.

'the only thing that counts is the love of duty; when love & duty are one, then grace is in you & you will enjoy a happiness which passes all understanding.

Post Thanks / Like

Default cm jobs

I do have cm friends and one imagineer is my friend he loves it,the others most do love it in time they have worked up in the co. and the pay may not be so high but they say is a lot of perks..when I move to Kissimmee I will work part time ..
    Dory luvs Eeyore!!

Post Thanks / Like

It's true the pay isn't great...but where else do you know it's time to go home because there are fireworks. There are definately pros and cons, you'll have days when you're so exhausted you can't see straight, then someone will smile and tell you you just made their trip...if you truly love Disney and you can work out the finacial portion of your life, it's wonderful. Any questions just ask

CaptainJessicaSparrow Guest

I'm sorry, you think we get to leave after the fireworks?

The parks don't always close with the fireworks. In fact, most of the time, fireworks mean mid-shift. Recently, Wishes is at 10, but the park clsoes around 12-1am, which means stores are open until 1 hour later. Then there is 2-3 hours for clean up and restock. For Epcot, Illuminations means 'almost there' since they are almost always at 9 pm unless it's winter. Then they still have the hour and clean-up/restock times. It's not easy keeping all those parks stocked with merchandise and looking good.

Now, just imagine what happens on the nights when it's EMH until 3-4am, which means we are there until 6am or later, when morning crew is still coming in to open at 8am. Yeah, that's been fun.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainJessicaSparrow View Post
    Now, just imagine what happens on the nights when it's EMH until 3-4am, which means we are there until 6am or later, when morning crew is still coming in to open at 8am. Yeah, that's been fun.
    I think we have a different defintion of the word "fun".
    Cruises:

Post Thanks / Like

I have now worked for the mouse for almost nine years. I wouldn't trade my experiences there for anything.

As for getting hired, it's really not all that difficult. As Ed said, there are more than 55 thousand CMs at WDW. Turnover is fairly high, and they are therefore almost always hiring. The process begins by simply walking in to the Casting building across from Downtown Disney. You will be asked to fill out an application and given an appointment time to return for an interview. You don't need a resume, and there is no background check.

The interview is critical. Your interviewer will be relaxed and friendly. But you will be looked at closely. It is important to look and act "Disney". Dress nicely, but it is not necessary to dress up. No need for a suit or sport coat. Smile a lot. You should have no visible tattoos or piercings. You should be ready to tell them where you want to work. They don't want to hear "I'll take any job". Your major choices (on stage) are transportation, attractions, indoor foods, outdoor foods, merchandising, horticulture, recreation, and resort front desk or resort staff. Custodial and housekeeping are perhaps not for you (the bathroom cleaning thing).

Once you are hired, you might be given a choice of which park and which area of the park you want to work in. As the others have said, wages are low. Starting pay is only a dollar or two above minimum wage. If Disney pay is your only source of income you will be struggling to make it here at first. Use the internet to check out local housing costs and cost of living. I'm retired and don't do this for the money.

The others have also commented on the long hours and difficult situations. Yes, there is some of that. All of us have had to deal with backstage disagreements and rude and abusive guests. But the one thing that overrides all that is the simple fact that you are a Disney Cast Member. You have the pixie dust - the power to bring out smiles and totally make someone's day. There is no other job like it in the world.
    Ron
    INTERCOT Staff
    WDW Cast Member
    Expedition: Everest
    Kali River Rapids

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Wow. Thank you so much for the information. That is exactly what I was looking for. We have officially decided to move to FL. In fact we are looking to move next month. Just curious how long after I go in there an fill out an application do you think the call will come for the interview? We are planning to go down there in 2 weeks to look around for housing. Is there a way to fill out an application online? I am very serious about working for Disney. They way I look at it is that we have always felt like we were part of the Disney family and now I want to work for the family. I love it when a CM tell me "welcome home" as I enter MK. That just blows me away and makes for a great start. I want to be that CM the says that! I would probably choose Front Desk ,indoor food, or merchandising. I was told when we were there last January by a CM that they weren't hiring servers. I think that would be the best job there because I know I fork out a lot of tips while I'm there. It seems like decent pay. I'm glad you said don't say you'll do anything because I probably would have said that. I would prefer to be in a job that I can be in contact with guest. I think that as a vacationer there I know what guest are looking for when they enter those first set of Disney gates. They, just like me want to enter those gates and feel like they have left the outside world and escaped to a world where anything can happen.
    I was going to ask what to wear to an iterview so thanks for that information. I think once we get down there I will find perhaps a Disney polo shirt and I might even wear my pin lanyard with maybe 10 pins on it. I think the rule for CM is no more than 12 right? Would this seem too weird? I want to look like I belong as a CM with out going overboard. I think I'll leave the ears in the car though!
    Any other advise would be greatly appreciated. I'm counting on you guys!
    01/08- Ft Wilderness
    02/07 - PO Riverside
    12/06 - Pop
    10/06 - Pop
    03/05 - POP
    12/04 - PO Riverside
    08/02 - Coronado Springs
    08/01 - Boardwalk Villas
    03/99 - Boardwalk Villas

Post Thanks / Like

Just curious how long after I go in there an fill out an application do you think the call will come for the interview?
    You will be given an appointment date and time immediately upon turning in your application, and you should get your interview in the next three days or so. They don't take applications by mail, internet or phone.

I wouldn't wear the pin lanyard to the interview. There is such a thing as being TOO Disney! By the way, the pin lanyards you see CMs wearing are not their own. The lanyards and the pins are provided by the company so CMs can trade pins with the guests.

Your enthusiasm and love of everything Disney is just what they are looking for. You should have no trouble getting through the interview and hiring process, and you will soon be a first rate Walt Disney World Cast Member. Good luck!
    Ron
    INTERCOT Staff
    WDW Cast Member
    Kali River Rapids

Post Thanks / Like

1) I enjoy working at WDW and think it as fun.
    2) Was semi-retired and did WDW full-time for a while.
    3) Was lured back to work as a CEO, so stayed "seasonal".
    4) If you can get along on the wage scale, it can be a great job.
    5) There are good and bad things about WDW.

Bad:
    . . . low wages - as low as $7.56/hr to start
    . . . odd daily hours - union seniority governs job bids
    . . . usually work afternoons and every weekend until seniority builds
    . . . mandatory overtime - up to 14-hrs straight
    . . . poor/terrible retirement benefits

Good:
    . . . lots of friendly coworkers
    . . . ability to make people happy
    . . . clean working environment
    . . . great medical insurance coverage
    . . . able to work unfettered by managers *
    . . . discounts on purchases
    . . . free entry for employee & up to 12-times yearly for dependents

* Disney does not train it managers very well, so most leave you alone. As long as complaints don't go above their management level, managers are happy.
    Average Banjo Picker. Pretty-Good Sailing Master. Newly Ordained.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Thanks. I think I can live with the bad. Our schedule has never made the weekends all that big of a deal. A week day is no different to us than a Sat. or Sun.
    I read on another search that the interviews in Disneyland are done in a group. Is that the same as in FL?
    I'm really curious about the jobs in the restaurants. Is there anyone out there that can give me some info? Is it useless to tell them that I would prefer a job as a server? Is that a job that is only hired within the company? Seems like they can make a lot of money in tips. Am I wrong?
    01/08- Ft Wilderness
    02/07 - PO Riverside
    12/06 - Pop
    10/06 - Pop
    03/05 - POP
    12/04 - PO Riverside
    08/02 - Coronado Springs
    08/01 - Boardwalk Villas
    03/99 - Boardwalk Villas

Post Thanks / Like

Hope ya don't mind me asking.

I am a tile installer, ceramic and other stone, does Disney have full time installers around the WDW resort? Do they have there own workers or hire outside? I would guess they would have a ton of tile around to be repaired and new places being built or remodeled needing tile.
    Off Site-- All Star Movies-- Pop Century-- Coronado Springs-- Port Orleans French Quarter
    Walt Disney-"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."

Post Thanks / Like

Is it useless to tell them that I would prefer a job as a server? Is that a job that is only hired within the company? Seems like they can make a lot of money in tips. Am I wrong?
    No, you are not wrong about that. Servers earn tip money that greatly boosts their income. That is why server jobs at Disney are hard to come by (so I've been told), and it is not likely that they will be hiring for server positions. Most openings are filled by transfers from within the company. I'm not an expert in server positions, so I hope someone with experience in that area will come along to post in this thread.

When you submit your employment application you will be given a list of positions they are hiring for. If a server position is listed, then you should certainly ask for it.
    Ron
    INTERCOT Staff
    WDW Cast Member
    Kali River Rapids

Post Thanks / Like

. . . I'm really curious about the jobs in the restaurants . . .
    . . . server jobs are tough to get, since they are tipped positions
    . . . if you get one, it would start as part-time
    . . . usually for quite some time
    . . . line cooks are easier, based upon experience
    . . . better cook jobs go to culinary graduates

Quote Originally Posted by caryrae View Post
    . . . I am a tile installer, ceramic and other stone, does Disney have full time installers around the WDW resort . . .
    . . . yes, there are tile folks
    . . . they are part of Maintenance
    . . . but, maintenance folks are usually high seniority
    . . . if you have specific skills, you can break in
    . . . I personally know a roller-coaster repair guy that started immediately
    . . . but, he had prior amusement park experience
    Average Banjo Picker. Pretty-Good Sailing Master. Newly Ordained.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: