Quantcast Is Fantasmic to intense for 5yr. old

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Is Fantasmic to intense for 5yr. old

I have a 5 yr. old Autistic son and was wondering if the Fantasmic show might be too intense or frightening for him. Any thoughts?
    Thanks.
    °O° Von Drake °O°
    10 trips before 2000 | 2001 Offsite | 2001 SOG | 2002 CR | 2005 ASSp & SOG | 2006 OffSite | 2006 Disneyland | 2007 POP | 2008 POP & SOG

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

None of my kids are scares of Fantasmic & they are ages 2, 4, & 5. My 5 year old has mild PDD & ADHD & it doesn't bother him. My 4 yr old daughter has some sensory issues, one of which includes loud noises, & is doesn't bother her either. It really depends on what triggers your son. There are some fireworks & explosions, if you think that might be too intense, then try to prepare him for that. If the loud noises scare him, one suggestion might be earplugs if he'll wear them. It's really a great show. I would give it a try & just sit in the back, if things start to become an issue, you can always get up & leave. I would also recommend getting a Fantasmic dinner package to limit your wait time to get in.
    many, many trips as a child
    WDW 2000 - offsite
    WDW 2001 - offsite
    WDW 2006 - Pop Century
    WDW 2007 - Poly Concierge / OKW
    October 2007- Became DVC Members!!
    February 2008 - Saratoga Springs
    May 2008 - Boardwak Villas
    August 2008 - Beach Club / Wilderness Lodge

Post Thanks / Like

My DS has gone to Fantasmic since we was 3. If anything the sounds, lights and flames have captivated him. If you are concerned choose a seat towards the rear of the amphlitheater. Otherwise unless your child is extremely sensitive, I can't imagine fantasmic being anything but a joy and delight.
    It's not 'work' if your doing something you enjoy. Let's just say that I 'work' 5 days out of every 7.

And why do I work? So that I can take my family to WDW, silly goose!

00 - Swan
    03 - Caribbean Beach
    04 - Animal Kingdom Lodge
    06 - POR
    07 - Contemporary
    08 - POR
    09 - POR
    2010 - Disney Wonder

Post Thanks / Like

It really depends on your child. Fantasmic does have some pretty intense scenes and loud sounds. You have to realize your son may be in sensory overload by evening and not able to tolerate the show, or he may be in great shape for it. (bring earplugs - we used children's target shooting earmuffs for my son). A trip to Disney is great, but between the crowds, the rides, the food smells etc. it is easy to get overwhelmed, especially if you have sensory issues. We first brought my son to WDW at 7, and I don't think he could have handled the show then, but at 11 and 12 he did just fine with it.
    Life is Beautiful - pass it on. Sign your organ donor card.

Post Thanks / Like

The seating at Fantasmic is very large and I have learned that the closer you seat down toward the water, the more intense it feels and appears. I believe that if you sit at the top of the seating, which is farther away from the show, your child will not be intimidated, yet be able to see a full view of the show without the feeling of the heat and water effects. I will be fine! The Queen
    Queen Stephanie
    1997 Allstar
    1998 CBR
    1999 Poly
    1999 Wilderness Lodge
    2000 POR/Vero Beach DVC
    2001 Disneyland Hotel
    2002 OKW
    2003 Poly
    2004 OKW
    2005 OKW
    2006 OKW
    2007 OKW
    2008 OKW & SSR
    2009 AKL & OKW

Post Thanks / Like

My DD 5 hates fireworks and scary things. She loved it. We sat near the top and it wasnt that bad. In fact she wants to go back and see it in Feb. again.
    Walt will always be my HERO.

1973 - 1999 Disneyland twice a month
    2003 June offsite WDW
    2004 & 2006 Dec. AK
    2007 Feb. PP Disneyland
    2008 Jan. All Star Movies
    2009 Jun. DLH Disneyland

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all your input. I listened to the soundtrack for Fantasmic (with all the show effects) and wanted to get some opinions from people who have actually seen the show. Before my son was born my wife and went to see it and about 5 minutes in, everything stopped. After about an additional 10-15 minutes the lights came on and they announced the show was canceled due to pyro-technical difficulties. We were bummed out big time. We had awesome seats, we got their way early to get them. I believe we will try and make it this time, but will probably sit near the back and see how it goes. Thanks Again.
    °O° Von Drake °O°
    10 trips before 2000 | 2001 Offsite | 2001 SOG | 2002 CR | 2005 ASSp & SOG | 2006 OffSite | 2006 Disneyland | 2007 POP | 2008 POP & SOG

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with everyone else. Sitting towards the back of the theater might be a good idea if you think your son will be scared.

My kids have been going to Fantasmic since their first trips. They love it!

I hope you have a great trip!
    DVC Members @ SSR
    19 Trips since 1996:
    Caribbean Beach Resort-2x's, Dixie Landings-2x, POFQ-2x's, POR-3x's All Star Movies-4x's, Pop-1x, Saratoga Springs-2x, BWV-1x, OKW-2x

Just got back: August 17th-22nd POR

Post Thanks / Like

I took my DS when he was 4 and didn't seem scared at all.
    I am going to take the twins (DS2, DD2) in October. They are scared of the trashtruck, helicopters and fighter jets that fly over our house. But, I have no concerns about this.
    I don't think it is any worse than fireworks. You know how fireworks are, they are loud and scare the kids at first. But, they get over it. So, I really think that a five year old would be okay!!
    Have fun!!

Post Thanks / Like

Okay, dumb me. I just read that your son is Autistic. I think it depend on how severe his autism is. I know that all kids are different and that autism varies in severity! I have a five year old with apraxia and have had him tested by the special school district a couple times. He is okay, but apraxia runs hand in hand with autism. So, I know pretty much about autism from all my research.
    So, Fantasmic is of course loud like fireworks and has lasers. You know your child so go with that. I am going to check something and then send you a PM!

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Fantasmic

I think that if you sit towards the back, that your son will do just fine. Make sure, if you can, that he gets some rest in between. Because it's light later, the show goes on a little later. That might be something to consider. Overall, I think it is a great show.
    Keep smiling and Have a magical day!!!
    It's all good.

We love to serve fun, food, and deliciousness.

AKA: Jean and Marty

Post Thanks / Like

We went with our almost 3 year old twins and sat in the back and the were very frightened and had to leave. It was just too much for them. We will try again next year with ear plugs.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey,

Fantasmic is my very favorite show in Disney, but I think some parts could be scary for sure. In addition to a couple of (very) loud noises, there's a rather extended sequence of the Night on Skull Mountain Fantasia scene in which that mountain-guy hurls skulls and souls scream and stuff. I would give it a try. If your son is able to tough out that stuff, the end will completely erase it from his memory.

Post Thanks / Like

I went to youtube last night and found some videos of Fantasmic. We will probably sit near the back and leave if we need to, but I hope he will be able to make it through. My wife has wanted to see this show for a long time.
    °O° Von Drake °O°

Post Thanks / Like

My DD5 was a little bit scared but finally loved this show!

Post Thanks / Like

We were there in Jan with my dd6 ds5 and ds2, my two year old did not seem scared but did want to hide his head, I think he was just tired. But my 5 and 6 year old were glued to everything going on! Should be fine IMO!

Steve
    1982 Off Site 4 Days
    2006 All Star Music 10 Days
    2008 Pop Century 10 Days

2009 all star movies 10 days
    2010 all star Music 5 days
    2011 Port Orleans Riverside 10 days
    2013 Port Orleans Riverside 9 days
    2015 Caribbean Resort 10 Days

Post Thanks / Like

I say pop in Sleeping Beauty. If Maleficent on the TV screen is a problem (when I was five, she was. A BIG one. Now she's my fav. ) then I say skip.
    Contemporary Resort, 06/03
    Pop Century Resort, 6/05 and 12/08
    Disneyland's Paradise Pier, 10/06
    Carribbean Beach Resort, 09/07
    Coronado Springs Resort, 01/10
    Wilderness Lodge, 6/14 - The Susie Angel Celebration
    Pop Century Resort, 02/16 - Princess Half Marathon

Post Thanks / Like

Hi VonDrake! I have a 9 yr old with Asperger's and a 4 yr old autistic son. They both LOVE Fantasmic. Our 4 yr old has many sensory issues including lights, sounds and heat -- and he can't sit still. We like to sit where we can make a quick exit if need be.

We booked the Fantasmic Package last time we went to minimize the waiting for the show. I loved that the kids didn't have to endure a long wait, and our fidgety quirky autistic 4 year old was MEZMERIZED. He wasn't frightened and didn't fidget for the whole show (except in an appropriate "Hey what a great show!" manner).

I say go for it, but highly recommend doing the package (dinner at Hollywood and Vine is a nice cool place for kids!).

Jennifer (aka Mickey'sGirl)
    INTERCOT Staff: Guests with Special Needs, Dining and Disney Characters

Last trip: March 2016 - Fantasy
    Next trip: Aug 2017 - Aulani

I am a Galactic Hero once more!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: