Quantcast Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort and Campground Gets a Facelift

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort and Campground Gets a Facelift

Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort and Campground Gets a Facelift

Walt Disney World Press Release
    March 10, 2008

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla., – An outdoor adventure that has been a favorite with Walt Disney World guests since 1971 is receiving some enhancements. As part of a resort-wide renovation project, on now, changes are coming or already in place across the 700 acres of Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort and Campground.

"Over the last 37 years, the average length of an RV has increased by 27 feet," says Fort Wilderness spokesperson Darcy Cormier, "Many feature ‘slide outs' that mechanically extend from the sides of the vehicle."

To address the needs of today's larger vehicles, an intensive effort will begin to widen and lengthen the concrete parking pads, while maintaining privacy and tranquility provided by natural vegetation. A new "Premium" campsite will be available that feature extra large concrete pads for larger vehicles -- also upgrades to existing amenities such as picnic tables and grills.

The main pool at Fort Wilderness will be enhanced with a themed water slide, hot tub and children's wet play area. The pool's deep end has been made shallower.

Nestled in the woodlands, the Resort's 409 Wilderness Cabins feature brand-new furniture, carpeting, fixtures and linens – plus a fresh coat of paint. Each spacious cabin features more than 500 square feet of air-conditioned living space as well as a private patio deck with a charcoal grill and picnic table. The master bedroom sleeps four with a full-sized bed and set of bunk beds, while the separate living room sleeps two with a full-sized pull-down bed. All cabins also feature vaulted ceilings, color cable television, DVD player, telephone and a spacious oval dining table. Daily housekeeping service is provided to all Wilderness Cabins.

"With all of the comforts of home, the Wilderness Cabins are perfect for guests who want to wind down in a tranquil, relaxing atmosphere after a fun-filled day at the theme parks," said Jean Gallagher, general manager of Fort Wilderness.
    Fort Wilderness has always been the pet-friendly choice for guests to Walt Disney World Resort, and now dogs are getting a playground of their own at the newly-opened Waggin' Trails Dog Park, an off-leash play area.

Of course there is plenty of recreation for humans, too; horseback riding, fishing excursions, nature trail exploration, boat rentals, volleyball, tennis, bike rentals and the new Wilderness Back Trail Adventure, where guests can experience, first hand, a Segway X2 Personal Transporter. Guests can unwind on a white sand beach, play a leisurely game of shuffleboard, take the little ones on a pony ride or enjoy an evening horse-drawn wagon ride around the resort.

Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort and Campground is located in the Magic Kingdom resort area on the banks of Bay Lake. Convenient boat transportation to Magic Kingdom and motorcoach transportation to all Walt Disney World destinations, including Epcot, Disney's Hollywood Studios and Disney's Animal Kingdom, is provided.

For more information, or to make reservations at Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort and Campground, visit wdwcamp.com or call 407/WDW-CAMP. To book the two-hour guided Segway X2 experience, contact 407 WDW-TOUR.
    Figment! aka Jason ºoº
    INTERCOT STAFF
    News, Rumours & Imagineering
    Dining
    Vacations Beyond Disney

~It’s what us storytellers do; we restore order with imagination, we instill hope again and again~

~We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things~

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks! It is good to hear and "finally see" that they will be addressing the pool issue!
    first visIt: November 1973
    next planned visit: October, 2013 with friends
    resident Fairy Godmother

hearts are warmed when friends meet

see ya real soon

~*~*~*disneydeb*~*~*~

Post Thanks / Like

We love FW, so I am happy about a "facelift". Very glad to hear that they will keep the " privacy and tranquility" of the campground
    1975-2000 Family Trips, FW
    Nov 2005- FW
    June 2006- FW
    Feb 2007- FW
    Dec 2007- POFQ
    Feb 2008- POR
    July 2008- WL
    Dec 2008- FW
    Feb 2012- POFQ
    Herb
    Proud Passholder

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Thanks

Thanks Jason. It great to hear that my family's favorite place will be getting some much needed primping.
    Lanny
    Have been going to WDW since 1981
    Have a Great Day
    Health and Happiness to all Disney Freaks

Post Thanks / Like

Any speculation on when this will be finished? The one reason we still have yet to stay there is the lackluster pool - so I'm glad to hear they will be upgrading it!
    Rebecca
    mom of Jenna (Cindewella) & Lucy (Sleepingbooty)

Next visit: September 2010, Caribbean Beach Resort

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Thanks Jason!
    ºoº David, Lisa, Aaron and Allison
    98-PO
    00-CB & ASMo
    01-Swan
    02-CS
    03-POR
    04-POP
    05-PO / CR
    07-PO / CR
    08-ASMu
    09-AKL
    10-CR, CS & PP DL
    11-NB DLP & SSR
    12-BLT & BLT
    13-GC DL & BLT
    15-Aulani & BLT
    16-ASMu & GC DL
    17-BWI, THV, CSR, BLT
    18-BLT, OKW, OKW, CBR, GF & BLT

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if the new "premium" sites are the same as the "preferred" sites now, but will be larger. We have a 33 ft. motor home with a slide on each side and the sites are a little too tight, but we've managed. I honestly was hoping for some pull thrus. And I hate to be negative, but I hope they don't increase prices over this.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DNS View Post
    . . . I honestly was hoping for some pull thrus. And I hate to be negative, but I hope they don't increase prices over this . . .
    1) It is nice to see all the Fort Wilderness enhancements.
    2) It has been a ling time coming.
    3) Remember, PREMIUM = MORE MONEY.
    4) You have to charge more for wider and longer slots.

NOTE: Fw has always been fun to visit and fun to work at. Now even more so.
    Average Banjo Picker. Pretty-Good Sailing Master. Newly Ordained.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm so excited about the pool.
    2001 ASMo, 2003 Royal Pacific and Poly, 2004 Beach Club, 2005 Cabins at FW, 2007 Poly, 2008 Poly and Hard Rock, 2009 Portofino and Poly, 2014 Royal Pacific and Kidani

Post Thanks / Like

...now if they would just do something with River Country!
    Too many trips to keep track of now! Vacation WDW twice a year so any questions ask freely ☺️

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Sounds awesome... someday we'd like to stay there with family, and this sure makes us want to do it sooner rather than later!!
    Blythe

Past trips -
    3x offsite,May 06 CBR,Oct 07 I'cot 10,Dec 08 CBR,Jan 09 ASMu,Oct 09 CBR/AKL,Jan 11 AsMu,Aug 11 CBR, Oct 11 AKL,Oct 12 I'cot 15,Aug 13 CBR,Aug '14 mini AKL trip

Next -
    May '17 DL OR June '17 CBR

Post Thanks / Like

I am glad they are doing something about the pool, even though I have never used it in all our visits. No pizzaz to it!!

As long as the "wilderness" feel is still there, then this is a good thing. I have seen, over the years, too many big rigs squeezed into an area too small for them...then you have little room for slide outs.

Great to hear....love Ft. Wilderness.
    Disney Institute December 1999
    Ft. Wilderness June 1993, 1997, 2002, 2006-December 2007
    Caribbean Beach January 2008
    Port Orleans Riverside - January 2009
    Pop Century January 2007, December 2009, November 2010
    Pop CenturyOctober 2011

SFTrny Guest

If the cabins are getting DVD players....will the trading posts be offering DVD rentals? We loved renting the old Disney VHS tapes and watching them at night.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: