I was just about to go to sleep around midnight when I changed the channel to the news and was completely shocked to see this. The SEC tournament is going on here and there are a lot of people in town, and this hit about 9:45 or so tonight. It hit the Georgia Dome, Philips Arena, the CNN Center, the Georgia World Congress Center... it's crazy. The footage is incredible.

This is really hitting home with me because I work right downtown. I haven't been able to recognize my building on the news, but they have mentioned that at least one SunTrust building was damaged, I think. I have no idea what will happen come Monday in regards to work. Luckily, I have my laptop and I can work from home, assuming the data center is fine and the servers are up. I am about 16 miles from work, and it's just weird to think that I had absolutely no idea this was going on. We got rain and a little thunder, but nothing out of the ordinary. But downtown, wow what a mess.

I just can't go to sleep watching all of this. My thoughts go out to those that were hurt or have lost their homes and belongings. So far they don't think there were any fatalities, which is good, but there were some people seriously injured. It's miraculous more people were not injured considering how many people were attending events downtown. This is just surreal.

(BTW, I said possible tornado because from the footage I'm watching, they're still debating whether it was a true tornado or just "severe weather" including very high winds.)