Quantcast September and Free Dining

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default September and Free Dining

I've been seeing on different websites and travel books that September is a great time to visit WDW and the crowd levels are usually pretty low. But I keep hearing about free dining in September. I'm planning on visiting September 28th to October 2nd. Will this free dining cause the crowd levels to be unmanagable? Thank you.
    Carribean Beach '95
    Wilderness Lodge '96 '97 '98
    All Star Music '00 '01 '04
    Off-site '03
    All Star Movie '05 '06
    All Star Music 07'
    Pop Century with DBF Sep 08'
    Pop Century with family March 09'

Next trip: Disney and Universal Studios April 2015!

PINK!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

We went this past Sept. and it was great. Crowds were bigger on the weekend but that's to be expected. But overall we had a great time.

We usually go to WDW in early February when the crowds are very small. We decided to go this past Sept. also (only because free dinning made it possible) and didn't know what to expect due to the promotion, but it honestly wasn't bad at all.

It's a tough time for so many because they don't want to (understandably) take their kids out of school to go to WDW.

For the free dining you have to make sure you book by a certin date. Usually June, I think.....

Hope this helps!!

77-DL
    89-DL
    94-ASSp
    95-OKW
    98-WDW Hol.Inn MG
    99-WDW Off Prop
    06-ASMov
    07-Pop 2/4 - 2/14
    07-ASMus 9/11 - 9/17
    08-ASMov & DCL 10/27 - 11/2
    09-ASMov & DCL Wonder 9/21 - 10/1
    10-WDW Off Prop 4/23 - 4/25
    10-DCL Magic 7 nt EB 10/23
    10-CSR 10/30 - 11/1
    12-POR 1/8 - 1/15
    12-CSR 12/20-27

lockedoutlogic Guest

I always ask this....so here goes again....

How can you have "free dining" if gratuities are no longer included?

any thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like

Perhaps it should be renamed...almost free dining. The dates the last two years didn't include the every end of September...so unless you can move your dates up a bit, you will probably miss the offer...if it comes...we are going on bounce back...we paid the $200 deposit last September to get the almost free dining for this September...and we were there last Sept...too late for 'free dining'...but not too late to get the bounce back offer. If you are really interested book with MJ and if and when the announcement comes out they will automatically try to convert to new package, sometimes that may involved a different hotel, but same value.
    Pirate Granny

October 2020 — 3 nights OKW, 3 nights Poly Lakeview and 1 night BWV studios
    November 2020 — BRV studio 9 nights
    December 2020 entire family GV OKW
    December 2020 January 2021 BCV studio

OH YEAH BABY !!! Proud owners at OKW + BCV + BRV + RR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post
    I always ask this....so here goes again....

How can you have "free dining" if gratuities are no longer included?

any thoughts?
    Because you're "dining" for free but tipping for the "service" of the waiter/waitress.
    șoș Joe șoș
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Dolphin - May '99
    Pop - July '04
    ASMu - Sept '05
    Pop - Sept '06
    Pop - Sept '07
    Pop - Sept '08
    Pop - Sept '09
    Pop - Sept '10 HONEYMOON
    Pop - Sept '11
    Pop - Nov '12
    Pop NYE '13/'14
    NEXT TRIP - Pop - Nov 9th-16th '14

Post Thanks / Like

I think the free dining ended on 9/22 last year but I'm not positive. If you can, have MJ handle your reservations & tell them to keep an eye out for free dining.
    But if you just want to know about the crowds, they really weren't too bad last year.
    șoșKathyșoș TimeShare 12-12
    GKTW June 2011,Off site Feb/March 2011
    Dolphin and POFQ 8/10
    POFQ Sept 08
    ASMu Aug-Sept 07
    Dolphin & CS-12/05. Mousefest & Dis Cruise
    Dolphin & POR July 04,WDW-Dolphin June 02Dolphin 6/2000
    Swan 6/99 -Dolphin March 98, March 94
    +many more times offsite

Post Thanks / Like

We were at Disney twice during the free dining, and the crowds were still great! We didn't have long waits for much, and with FastPass found it to be very easy to get everything done.

The restuarants were a different story though, we overheard tons of people complaining that they couldn't find TS places to eat!
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

The free dining ended last year on 9/22. We went the following week and we had a blast! We walked on so many rides. DH said that he would never visit WDW during another time period. I'm not sure if this is typical but this year, it rained a LOT that week. I understand that if you're on the tail end of free dining you may have some trouble booking some of your TS meals if you wait until the last minute to book them but as long as you're not trying for CRT or LeCellier you should be fine.
    -Laura
    Engineer by Day... Imagineer in my Dreams!

Post Thanks / Like

Disney stated that free dining ended on 9/22. However it DID NOT end then....it ended on 10/1. I received the free DDP from 9/21-10/1 last year. I called Disney and asked. They said it was available through the end of Sept. If they offer it again and advertise it the same way.....just call Disney directly to book.

I have been in Sept in 2003, 2006 and 2007. I will say that due to the free DDP that the crowds are getting bigger and bigger every year. They are still much smaller than going in the spring or summer.

I really hope that enough people complain about the inconvenience of the tip not being included that Disney adds it back in. I really liked not having to worry about anything.
    Go Nashville Predators!
    9/09 ASMo
    10/08 ASMu
    9/07 Caribbean Beach
    1/07 Marriott - family trip

9/06 Coronado Springs

09/03 Coronado Springs - Honeymoon
    10/99 Coronado Springs

06/96 Old Key West
    07/93 Beach Club
    12/91 Offsite - High School Trip

Post Thanks / Like

We were there last year during Sept - the parks are not crowded at all but ADRs are pretty necessary. We tried changing a few things up while we were there and it was the only time we couldn't (including previous years we were there during the free dining promotion).

lockedoutlogic Guest

Quote Originally Posted by SHORTY View Post
    Because you're "dining" for free but tipping for the "service" of the waiter/waitress.
    oh..I understand that....

but wouldn't those that are colorblind to greyscale think "free" meant "free"? and "Money" means "money"?

Post Thanks / Like

We were at WDW the end of DDP season last year and the resorts themselves were packed to the max!! We probably won't go again at that time because it made the stay at the resort miserable. On the other hand, MK & Epcot were great - practically walkons to most of the rides. AK & DHS were another story though - they were packed, hot and DHS was so packed on the day we were there that we actually left & went home. We have AP's so we could hop from park to park but the heat and the rain/humidity just about did us in & we live in Florida!! I don't think I'd go during that time period again - January for us was the best time ever. Not too cold or crowded.

Me & DH
    AKL, CBR, WL & ASMu '08, POP '07 & '05, POR '01, AllStar Music, Sports & Movies & Ft. Wilderness - our fun homes away from home!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post
    oh..I understand that....

but wouldn't those that are colorblind to greyscale think "free" meant "free"? and "Money" means "money"?
    It really isn't free regardless, since you are having to pay rack rate for the room.
    Day trips:
    WAAAAAY too many to count...

AKL Mar 7-9 One Year Anniversary!

Post Thanks / Like

If they offer it this year here is an example of the deal. Last year was the 1st year we took advantage of the "free" plan. We stayed at a moderate resort, CBR, and stayed 10 days 9 nights with an 8 day park hoppers. There were 4 of us and the resort and tickets and food for 9 days cost each person $650! We did the bounceback program for this coming september staying at POR, still the same although there are 5 of us this year, cost=$650 per person for resort, 8 day park hoppers and food for 9 days. We totaled up the receipts from last year and the food totals not including tips was almost $1800! I know this year we are responsible for our own tips but even still most TS meals cost 4 people roughly $150. I will be happy to leave the tip, still a savings in my book! Now if you stay at a value your savings will be greater. Work the numbers, even paying rack rate and leaving tips you may still come out ahead.
    Next Trip: POP Century...September 16th to September 26th!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BelleLovesTheBeast View Post
    Disney stated that free dining ended on 9/22. However it DID NOT end then....it ended on 10/1. I received the free DDP from 9/21-10/1 last year.
    The last check in date was 9/22, I believe. So people checking in on or before 9/22 had "free dining" for the length of their stay.
    If it's offered this year, it may have similar dates.

The parks have been OK during this time, but the restaurants are crazy busy.

I will be there from 9/26-10/3. Same time as you will. I will be making our ADRs at the 180 day mark. I suggest you plan to do the same- whether you are participating in a Dining Plan or not.
    Linda
    aka: wendy*darling

INTERCOT Staff:
    Disney & Orlando Dining/Nightlife, Shopping & Water Parks/Disney Vacation Club

DVC owners at WLV, BCV and SSR
    Next up: VWL & POFQ Dec 2009 - just adults!
    On Deck: DCL Wonder Dec 2010... but I'm sure we can come up with something before then!

lockedoutlogic Guest

Quote Originally Posted by FlaTinkRAMESAM View Post
    It really isn't free regardless, since you are having to pay rack rate for the room.
    The Disney shell game?

I know that...and you know that.....

but many still wish to think that they're getting this fantastic deal.....but in reality...rack rate....plus reduction in sitdown food....plus gratuity not included....probably makes it a wash for disney....

Post Thanks / Like

I still don't understand all the hate for this promotion. You're getting the room for the same rate as you would if they didn't run the promotion. Those who aren't need to question your TA or wherever you booked your trip because I always get the same rate. Then people complain that you're getting smaller portions of food. Personally I've noticed no difference and even if it were, you're getting the food for free (minus gratuity now). As for the service. Again, we always get excellent service. Most of the servers make conversation as well as stop at our table multiple times to see if we need anything. This is during our stay the past 3 years when gratuity was included in the plan. So with the server knowing they're guaranteed a tip they still don't slack off on the service. The only thing I can understand people not liking is the extra crowds and more difficult time booking ADR's.
    șoș Joe șoș
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Dolphin - May '99
    Pop - July '04
    ASMu - Sept '05
    Pop - Sept '06
    Pop - Sept '07
    Pop - Sept '08
    Pop - Sept '09
    Pop - Sept '10 HONEYMOON
    Pop - Sept '11
    Pop - Nov '12
    Pop NYE '13/'14
    NEXT TRIP - Pop - Nov 9th-16th '14

BMan62 is offline Team INTERCOT Cast Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SHORTY View Post
    You're getting the room for the same rate as you would if they didn't run the promotion.
    Lockedoutlogic (LOL) likes to bring this up all the time because, unless you always stay at a value resort, you may get better savings out of a AAA discount or AP discount on rooms. Plus, AP discount on DDE makes it a better deal all around - 20% off meals including alcoholic beverages.

Those of us who do not have APs and always stay at value resorts find the Free DDP, with or without the tips included, a pretty good deal. Definitely better than the ticket upgrades they have been offering at other times.

Post Thanks / Like

Wouldnt we all prefer that the DDP ("Disney Dining Plan" not the "Disney Free Plan") stay the same? Of coarse. It was great having tips included. DDP is a great deal. WD has changed it and now we'll have to pay the tip. The food is STILL free.

It's like inflation, as time marches on, you get less bang for the buck. As time marches on, the value of promotions shrink. I wish WD would keep it the way it was because it was better. However, I still find it difficult to give much weight to complaints about a plan that still gives you something for free. They could just end the promotion all together ya know. After all it's their "Dog and Pony show"
    77-DL
    89-DL
    94-ASSp
    95-OKW
    98-WDW Hol.Inn MG
    99-WDW Off Prop
    06-ASMov
    07-Pop 2/4 - 2/14
    07-ASMus 9/11 - 9/17
    08-ASMov & DCL 10/27 - 11/2
    09-ASMov & DCL Wonder 9/21 - 10/1
    10-WDW Off Prop 4/23 - 4/25
    10-DCL Magic 7 nt EB 10/23
    10-CSR 10/30 - 11/1
    12-POR 1/8 - 1/15
    12-CSR 12/20-27

Post Thanks / Like

I don't have any complaints about the free DDP but if I'm paying for the DDP I have a complaint. For only a dollar less - no appetizer or gratuity included is less of a deal.

I would recommend to anyone to go in Sept. Less crowds, cooler temps and free dining plan (when they offer it) = a great vacation. At least to me.
    Go Nashville Predators!
    9/09 ASMo
    10/08 ASMu
    9/07 Caribbean Beach
    1/07 Marriott - family trip

9/06 Coronado Springs

09/03 Coronado Springs - Honeymoon
    10/99 Coronado Springs

06/96 Old Key West
    07/93 Beach Club
    12/91 Offsite - High School Trip

Share This Thread On Social Media: