Quantcast (Vent) Car repairs with dealers

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default (Vent) Car repairs with dealers

My boyfriend just found out his car needs about $7000 worth of work! If we pay for this guess what may need to get sacrificed - our WDW trip for next year!

It's a 2000 Corolla, and needs a new catalytic converter, a mess of sensors . . . and a whole new engine. (!) We took it in for an oil leak that's been going on for some time and an idiot light check and the dealer says it has about one month before it dies. Now, BF did buy it used and he's not kept up on his maintenence like he should have (another vent for another time), but his normal mechanic said the leak was untraceable and minor, but still . . . . it's only got 100K miles on it. Thank God it's paid for.

The dealer is of course try to upsell BF on a new car. We're on our way in a few minutes to my trusty mechanic to get a second opinion. They said the price sounds higher than they charge but if it is indeed all that stuff, we're still looking at a lot of money to fix it.

I'm gonna be SO upset if the dealer is trying to pull a fast one. I don't often get righteously angry but when I do . . . whoo boy . . . there's a reason I have the avatar I do.

So to any car folks on here, I *know* an engine without proper oil is doomed, but what do you think? It leaks about one quart a week, and it's burning oil really bad. The exhaust pipe is black, the gaskets are dripping, the spark plugs are a mess, and the timing belt needs to go, for starters. I trust my mechanic to tell us the truth, so let's hope they find everything. BF may need to buy a new car.
    Next trip DLR in February 2014

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Laura read this part of your post again!

>It leaks about one quart a week, and it's burning oil really bad. The exhaust pipe is black, the gaskets are dripping, the spark plugs are a mess, and the timing belt needs to go, for starters. <

This engine is doomed don't you think?

This is what happens when you forgo regular maintenance. You save money but you end up paying it back in the end ten fold!

If the repairs are too expensive, I would take it as a lesson learned and go and buy another used vehicle. This time find a reputable mechanic and let him/her inspect first any potential used car you wish to buy.

Post Thanks / Like

I feel your pain. We just deep-sixed our old '95 Honda Civic. It's okay. I have hated that car since the moment I first drove it back in '02.

I can believe that the repairs can cost that much. We were looking at almost $4000 for a car not worth $500. We decided on a used Sebring instead. Great car and I don't hate it.

The only thing I can say about your old klunker is for you to think about the environment. Using a quart of oil a week is wasteful and expensive. If your car's sensors are not functioning properly, you will be using more fuel than you need to (more cost to you), and sending more green-house, toxic, acid-rain and asthma-causing gases into the atmosphere than you need to. The long-term cost of this may be small, if it was only your car doing this, but, you know yours is not the only car in this condition. The short-term cost for you and DBF will be high, but hopefully he will get a great car that runs properly, cleanly, cheaply and reliably. (By the way: Dun him constantly on the idea that preventive maintenance is cheaper that reactive repairs)

The problem with the timing belt is: when it goes it goes, and you don't! And there is no telling when it will go.

I know; you might not be able to get to WDW next year. That is a bummer. I hope you can afford to drive your new car to WDW next year. We are sending you some

Officially too many trips to list here!

Post Thanks / Like

I could go so many different directions with this. Plain and simple: Cars are expensive. Proper maintenance is expensive. As with most things it's a pay me now or pay me later situation. If you choose to wait to pay you WILL pay in the end. The Dealer didn't say forget having the regular work done. In fact, the dealer will tell you that any vehicle still under warranty may not be covered if you don't do the regular maintenance. If you choose to junk your current vehicle (which I would suggest by the number of miles/age of the car -you'll never get back what you will be putting in it in repairs either at the dealer or mechanic ) then please take better care of the next vehicle and "don't shoot the messenger" when they are giving you bad news.
    ~~~~~~Stephanie~~~~~~

December 3-7, 2010 Poly LVC
    April 13-18, 2009 Poly LVC
    Feb 8-11, 2008 Poly LVC
    March 07 - Poly LVC
    December 06 - Poly LVC
    October 05 - CR
    June 04 - Grosvenors
    March 02 - Off Site
    November 00 - CBR

Post Thanks / Like

I hope it all works out for you. Years ago I had a Mazda Protege. The check engine light kept coming on. I took it to the local Mazda dealership and was told it was not worth putting any money into the car that it was about to die. I gave the car to my nephew and bought a new one and it lasted for two more years. There is no telling how long the car would have lasted but he lost it in Katrina. I think it is a very good idea to get a second opinion.
    LORI

Post Thanks / Like

For all intents and purposes, that car is totalled. I would get rid of it any way you can (It sounds like you'll get the most money if you donate it to an charity and take the write off on taxes).

Put that 7K into a new car (I don't buy used). Even a cheaper reputable mechanic, they do exist, would still rack up quite a bill. A new motor will run a few thousand plus the labor, and honestly, once you put in a new motor, the additional strain on the older components will probably cause them to fail too. Like the tranny, etc. I've seen it happen.. Cut your losses!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone. I needed to vent more than anything. I was restraining my irritation well until it looked like my next trip was in danger becuase BF had been silly about taking care of his car.

You're preaching to the choir in regards to preventative maintenence - my last car lasted for nearly 300K because of it. I think there may still be echos in the stratosphere of my "conversation" with BF when I found out he's not kept up with the recommendations in the car manual. I was so mad at him!

We've not heard yet from my mechanic this morning, but I would be surprised if the repairs are less than the worth of the car. We both feel it's a better idea to get him a new one as long as he can take care of it. (I hope he doesn't make that mistake again!)

This may be a rhetorical question, but why are younger men in general so shortsighted? He doesn't think much of consequences and so many of the guys I know around my age (30) aren't much better!

Post Thanks / Like

I stay away from the Chevy Dealer at all costs!!

I'm lucky however, that I have a friend who is a Service manager at a Chrysler dealer, and is a trained mechanic. He enjoys a side job here and there in his driveway, so when I need brakes, belts, window motors, or whatever I'll ask him first. Oh, how that cuts down on my cost. It's a win/win. He charges me a fair price and I'm getting a deal. I would much rather put the money in HIS pocket than the greedy dealer.
    Case in point... dealer charges $500.00 to replace the burned out motor in the window, Glenn got the part and charged me $250.00 for the total repair.
    Maybe you can find an honest person to work on your car.
    Good Luck!
    Julie
    Next Up:

Summer 2018... WE ARE BACK!!!
    2 families
    4 teenagers and Larry
    Taking on the parks!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by princessgirls View Post
    Maybe you can find an honest person to work on your car.
    I did! I just want to mention how wonderful my mechanic is - they told us the actual cost to fix the car would be about $1300, not $7000, because the dealer assumed a lot of things needed to be replaced when they didn't actually look at them. (Note to self there.)
    So now we'll decide if we want to fix or wholesale the car.

Yay, I can still go to WDW next year! (Okay it sounds juvenile to be more excited about the trip being on, but c'mon it's DISNEY!)

Post Thanks / Like

Great news Laura!One more piece of advice, in case your BF is the type that "won't ask for directions", buy yourself a GPS in case he gets you lost one the way down to WDW.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by princessgirls View Post
    I would much rather put the money in HIS pocket than the greedy dealer.
    Sure the dealer is going to make more money, but they also have a much more to pay out. Your friend is working in his driveway (oh how I love when my neighbor runs a similar business at his home) so he doesn't have the costs of maintaining a physical plant. He also doesn't have to pay for his employees' PTO, employees' social security, unemployment taxes, health care, and worker's compensation. And, if the truth be known, he probably isn't going to pay any federal, state or local taxes on that side income.
    SteveL

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: