Quantcast Land and Sea questions...

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Land and Sea questions...

Hi everyone! I'm contemplating doing a Land/Sea package in June 2010. This would be a complete surprise for our kids, around the time of 3 of their birthdays...and right when school gets out. I had originally thought about doing a surprise WDW trip & staying in a value resort. We're DVC members, but won't have any points left for that year (since we're borrowing to use them in '09). I digress, sorry. Anyway, I was talking to DH about this last night and he mentioned a Disney Cruise instead. I called DCL and they started telling me about the Land/Sea pacakages. It seems that those require you to stay in a moderate resort and do the hopper passes. Is it possible to just book a 3 day cruise with them and a couple nights in a Value resort on your own instead? Would it be too hard to figure out all of the transportation factors if you don't arrange it all through them? Thanks for any help, I'm completely clueless about the Cruises
    BCV- April '09 Beach Club Villas w/friends (9 kids- 18 of us total)
    ASSp- Aug '08- free dining
    AKV Savanna and SSR - Sept-Oct '07
    DVC Members-Saratoga Springs as of Aug '06
    YC- Oct '04 (first trip for our 5 kids)
    Former FL resident w/numerous day visits in '80's & '90's.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

You absolutely can book the different parts of your vacation separately... we do land/sea vacations and since we're DVC members as well, I never do them as a formal "Land/Sea vacation." You can chose to use DCL's transportation or rent a car (one way) to go out to Port and return as well (I'd recommend Budget) even if you're not doing the formal "Land/Sea" combo. Renting a car would allow you to visit the Kennedy Space Center on the day you debark.

Two tips:
    1. if you can swing it, book a 4 night cruise. We found the 3-night to be TOO short!
    2. Book using a travel agent (like many others here, I use Magical Journeys) as they will be on top of any possible savings opportunities that may arise (our MJ travel agent saved us a bundle on our February cruise).
    Ellen
    INTERCOT Staff: Dining, Disney Cruise Line, Guests with Special Needs

Next up:
    Christmas with the Mouse
    President's Week 2013

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ElenitaB View Post
    You can chose to use DCL's transportation or rent a car (one way) to go out to Port and return as well (I'd recommend Budget) even if you're not doing the formal "Land/Sea" combo. Renting a car would allow you to visit the Kennedy Space Center on the day you debark.[/LIST]
    Thanks for the tips. Where do you turn the rental car in? Is there a Budget near the Port? Do you usually fly into Orlando, rent a car and head straight to Canaveral or do you go to WDW first and then leave from there for the cruise?

Post Thanks / Like

Ellen is all over the place! I tell you!

There is a Budget rental place near the port, and they offer complimentary shuttles to the port. Its easiest if someone drops off everyone with the luggage, and one person take back the car.

Booking land and sea seperately is actually cheaper, and provides a great deal more flexibility.

If you stay at WDW before the cruise, you can use Disney transport, only you need to be at a resort that has DCL pick up (confusing?). You don't have to stay at that resort, you just need to get there, which can be a hassle.

I haven't done a land/sea, but I would do the sea last, as a nice relaxing end to a great vacation. It would be really hard after having all those days of doing practically nothing but enjoy the ship, to getting up and getting to parks at opening, but that's just me!

So what would my plan be? I would fly into MCO, and rent a car (we always rent one). I would then enjoy my time at WDW. When the day of the cruise comes, I can load my own luggage and leave for the port anytime I want to. I can choose to be first if I wanted, or I can wait and take my time. I would then head out, and have my dad drop us off at the port, and we'd take care of the checking in and stuff while he returns the car. He would take the shuttle back and we'd be good to go! On debarkation day , I would take the Disney transfer back to MCO. Its just easier that way!

If you don't rent a car, it can get a little confusing, but we can help you with that!
    Morgan- DVC, AP, Perfect Princess, Married at Disney
    Off-site * POFQ * ASMu * POR * FW * BWI/V * Dolphin * AKL-Jambo/Kidani * WL * ASSp * Swan * POP * CBR * OKW * CSR * ASMo * BLT * SSR * AoA * DCL-Platinum * DLParis * DLR

Post Thanks / Like

Hi again! This is great, thanks for all this info! We don't normally rent a car, we take the Magical Express. This is primarily b/c with a family of 7, we'd have to rent a suburban or mini van ... and with the Mag. Exp. being free...that works best for us Would that just be way too confusing to try to work it all out w/transportation?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 5fromabove View Post
    Hi again! This is great, thanks for all this info! We don't normally rent a car, we take the Magical Express. This is primarily b/c with a family of 7, we'd have to rent a suburban or mini van ... and with the Mag. Exp. being free...that works best for us Would that just be way too confusing to try to work it all out w/transportation?

It really all depends on when you want to do the land part of your trip.

If you want to do the land before your cruise, it would be the most confusing, but really, just a small snag in a great trip! You can use ME to your resort. The only problem would be getting to a resort that has pickups for the DCL transport (which are GF, AKL, BC, Poly, SS, Swan and Dolphin, POR, POFQ, and CBR and all DVC resorts, from what I understand). Since you want to stay at a value, you will somehow need to get there (cab, towncar, etc), plus all luggage.

If you do the land after your cruise, you can take Disney transport to the port, then Disney transfer to any resort (from what I understand, they will drop you off at any resort). Then, you can take ME back to the airport.

Now, if money is an issue, be aware that Disney transport is $35 pp/ each way, which for all of you to do it, would be about $500. You may want to look for a towncar service that provides you with vans, which can hold all of you and your luggage! It can possibly be a cheaper option, especially if you book a round trip (Your resort to port, then port to airport OR airport to port, then port to your resort). Quicksilver tours and transportation is an INTERCOT sponsor, so you can look into them. Be sure to shop around!!

Ok, now that I've succeeded in making your head spin, I shall stop! Look for a PM from me!
    Morgan- DVC, AP, Perfect Princess, Married at Disney
    Off-site * POFQ * ASMu * POR * FW * BWI/V * Dolphin * AKL-Jambo/Kidani * WL * ASSp * Swan * POP * CBR * OKW * CSR * ASMo * BLT * SSR * AoA * DCL-Platinum * DLParis * DLR

Post Thanks / Like

I'll just add on to what Morgan has suggested,

Land/Sea vs Booking on your own: The land/sea can be very convenient and sometimes it is a cheaper option. As you mentioned though, value resorts are not included, so you'd need to book that way on your own.

WDW before or after: The cruise is so relaxing, we found it hard to gear up for Disney afterwards. Our first day in the parks, we all left early because we were so tired. Also, it was kind of strange standing in ride lines and experiencing that swaying motion as we got our land legs back. I would definitely go to WDW first.

Transportation: With 7 people, you are going to get a much better rate from a van service. I think Quicksilver has a $285 roundtrip rate from the airport to WDW, then WDW to the port and the port back to MCO. I would look into that option, plus you can go when you're ready.

It can be a bit overwhelming to book everything on your own, but just do your homework and feel free to ask us any questions you might have.
    Tammi, Team INTERCOT Moderator
    Disney Cruise Line & Accomodations

Please visit our Sponsors

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: