Quantcast Who still wears them? - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

View Poll Results: Who wears a fanny pack?

Voters
271. You may not vote on this poll
  • I can't go to a park without one?

128 47.23%
  • I left that back in the 80's.

143 52.77%
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

We are ones that carry a backpack every day since we still like to bring a camcorder, camera, sunglasses, baseball cap, etc. We also usually rent lockers to stash a spare pair of shoes per person and coats/jackets as we usually go when its chilly. I really don't care for fanny packs under any other circumstances (my mother wears one), but on a 10-day trip when my DH has finally had it with the backpack, I will use one maybe for a couple hours in an evening just to stash 'the essentials'. We got ours at WDW on our first trip, so its not stylish, but at least it fits in.
    Nov 1973 - OS
    Apr 1982 - OS
    Jan 2001 - ASM
    Dec 2001 - ASSp
    Jan 2002 - CBR
    Jan 2003 - CBR
    Dec 2003 - AKL
    Jan 2005 - CBR
    Jan 2006 - CBR/AKL
    Dec 2006 - CBR/OS/POFQ
    Oct 2007 - ASSp/CBR
    Jan 2009 - CBR/AKL
    Jan 2010 - POR/AKL
    Jan 2012 - CBR
    Jan 2013 - CBR
    Feb 2015 - GF
    Feb 2016 - GF

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I would never wear a fanny pack and I would lose a backpack.

Cargo Shorts!

And I have one or two quart sized ziplocks in the pockets for wallet, cell phone, camera, etc to protect when I go on water rides. Looks a little less dorky, too.

Post Thanks / Like

I could never figure out what people had in those huge backpacks either (unless you have little ones in tow) until I saw a friend pack hers -- about a dozen water bottles (I am not kidding), 2 lbs grapes, a full size bag of pretzels, 4 sweathirts, and her purse! I don't know if I was able to turn away quick enough to
    hide my mouth hanging open!
    I am on an eternal quest for the perfect bag to keep my hands free and still keep money, tickets and fast passes close at hand and safe. I like the cross body bags although sometimes they cut a girl in half in an unflattering way . The fanny pack is fine looking on tiny little people, a group that I no longer belong to, but is still by far the most convenient!!
    Sainter
    Oct97 AS Sports/Trop Palms
    Oct00 AS Sports/4 Pts Sheraton
    Oct01 Condo Nov02 POR/Calypso Cay
    Oct 03 POR Nov04 Pop
    Oct05, Mar07, June08 POR
    Mar09 AS Sports, Sept09 POR
    Mar11 Pop/CSR, Jan12 AS Sports
    Oct12 POR/CB, Oct14 OKW
    Sep15POFQ, Oct16 Pop/POR
    Sep17 AKL

Post Thanks / Like

I have the absolute best solution to the fanny pack. It's a smallish purse with a short strap that connects to the purse via a trigger snap. I unsnap it, thread the strap through two belt loops on my shorts, then snap it back on.

It gives me a place for sunglasses, cell phone, camera, cash and passes without a tight waste strap around my middle. And it stays in place but out of the way when I use the restroom!

From most angles it looks like I have a small purse slung over my shoulder, it hits just below my hip. The only drawback is you can't put anything super heavy in it (like a cell phone from the 90's). It will pull too much on the belt loops.

The purse I have I bought at Wal-Mart for $5. I'm getting ready to take it on my third trip to Disney in June.

I highly recommend you give it a try.
    Goofy Texan

August 2010 AS-Movies • June 2008 Pop Century • June 2006 AS-Movies
    May 2002 POR • May 2000 AS-Music • May 1998 AS Sports

Post Thanks / Like

There is a HUGE difference between the big ugly fanny packs of the eighties/nineties and the stylish Gucci or Louis Vuitton belt bags or waist packs that are around now. The designer ones are meant to look sleek and up to date. Its so embarrassing to see someone with a giant fanny pack, i feel like I've time warped. I realize they are convenient but they are god awful (no offense to all of you who love them). My dad had this awful purple one when i was a kid and he took it on all our Disney trips. Thanks dad, now when i look at our pictures, that fanny pack is the only thing i see! LOL
    Ariel
    Disneyland Annual Pass Holder

VMK Name: IzzyInWonderland

1996-Disneyland Hotel
    1998-Disneyland Hotel
    2002-WDW All-Star Music Resort

COUNTLESS TRIPS TO DLR BUT ONLY 1 TRIP TO WDW

Charleston, SC- 395.4 miles/6 hrs. & 15 min. from WDW
    Post Thanks / Like

When we went back in October with 5 other couples, I had big purple bruises on both arms from being punched every time somebody in the group spotted a fanny pack. One day they decided to play "punch buggy" but instead of spotting Volkswagens, they were spotting fanny packs in the park. I never realized how many there were!

Personally, I try to go "bagless" when I can. I carry my camera and room key in my pocket. We usually go back to our room mid-day, but if we aren't planning to go back, I will take my backpack/purse. That holds snacks and things. I just hate going through bag check and then lugging it around.
    Tara °O°

AP holder since '03 and DVC owner since '08

Next Up:
    April '10--DH, DS11, and me--Spring break/Saratoga Springs Resort/ Flower and Garden Festival

Post Thanks / Like

I used to wear one but when you had to stop to get your bags checked after 911 i couldnt be bothered with all the extra queuing so changed to wearing cargo pants with all the extra pockets ..Not that i carried that much anyway

Post Thanks / Like

just can't do it - there are way too many cute bags out there these days for me to have to break down and wear a fanny pack - i would rather get cargo shorts if i absolutely could not find another bag - plus just imagaine the disney pics when we look back later and im standing there in a fanny pack - just can't do it.
    playdead88

boardwalk villas may 2005
    boardwalk villas may 2006
    beach club villas april 2007

wilderness lodge april 2008
    DVC member april 08
    animal kingdom villas may 09

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by McGoofy View Post
    When we went back in October with 5 other couples, I had big purple bruises on both arms from being punched every time somebody in the group spotted a fanny pack. One day they decided to play "punch buggy" but instead of spotting Volkswagens, they were spotting fanny packs in the park. I never realized how many there were!
    lol! that is too funny we did that with mullets last year - maybe we should play the punch buggy fanny pack game this year
    playdead88

boardwalk villas may 2005
    boardwalk villas may 2006
    beach club villas april 2007

wilderness lodge april 2008
    DVC member april 08
    animal kingdom villas may 09

Post Thanks / Like

DH sometimes takes afanny pack so he can carry his glasses and the small camera. However, I have a nice big satchel bag that I take everywhere we go. It holds so much that I usually end up carrying everything in it. I tend to see more people with backpacks now.
    Wife of Wooly șoș
    2001 (July)- Polynesian Resort
    2003 (Jan) - All Star Movies
    2003 (Aug) - All Star Sports
    2004 (Oct) - Polynesian
    2005 (Aug) - All Star Sports
    2006 (Oct) - Polyneisan
    2007 (Aug) - Yatrch Club/Polynesian
    2009- a nice long one I hope:)

nikki'smom Guest

The only time I do wear one is at WDW but it is a must.

Post Thanks / Like

We carry one, to hold the camera (easy and quick to get to), rain ponchos, and our passes. We also are able to keep some medicines in there if needed. We bought ours at EPCOT in 2001. It is so convenient for us. But I will admit I am ready for a day at the parks with no extras to worry about keeping up with. Think our next trip we are going with my parents, maybe I can convince them to let me put our rain ponchos and camera in their backpack they plan on taking.
    Last edited by Von-Drake; 03-11-2008 at 10:02 AM. Reason: added information
    °O° Von Drake °O°
    10 trips before 2000 | 2001 Offsite | 2001 SOG | 2002 CR | 2005 ASSp & SOG | 2006 OffSite | 2006 Disneyland | 2007 POP | 2008 POP & SOG

Post Thanks / Like

I voted that I still wear one but I actually voted for the DW. I don't wear one but she swears by it. I have an old army pack that I use as a backpack. It has served for years working in the field and numerous vacations.
    "Believe me, it's the most exciting and challenging assignment we have ever tackled at Walt Disney Productions."
    Walt Disney speaking on the future Disney World

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tinksalot View Post
    I use to love my fanny pack! Hands free! Whats not to like? My kids made fun of me and what a dork I looked like so I gave it up. I still have it in my drawer, can't part with it.
    I totally understand that! I still have mine too! My family banned me from using a fanny pack a few years ago. Now is it a backpack all the way.

Visits:
    1997 - day trip
    Sept. 2006 - WL
    May 2007 - WL
    May 2009 - WL
    May 2010 - WL
    May 2012 - WL
    May 2015- WL Girls Trip!!!
    May 2017 -POR Girls Trip!
    May 2018 - WL Girls Trip
    May 2019 - WL Girls Trip!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whistlewhileyouwork View Post
    I am always amazed at the size of the bag people carry around.....We bring $$, our room keys and a camera. THATS IT.....I wonder what people carry in those huge backpacks. Other then if you have a baby with a diaper bag...whats so important?

We carry our camera, room keys, park tickets, husband's inhaler, my migraine medicine, Advil, other meds just in case because they are so expensive in the parks, a jacket because I'm always cold ( even when it's hot it's chilly in the stores and attractions) plastic bags, powder mixes for water, maybe a small snack or two and there is plenty of room in the back pack for things we buy. It's light and easy to carry. We take turns and our backs never get sweaty, thank God

'the only thing that counts is the love of duty; when love & duty are one, then grace is in you & you will enjoy a happiness which passes all understanding.

Post Thanks / Like

I wear what I call a hip pack...I guess it's like the fanny pack but I consider the fanny pack the thing that goes around your waist but it behind you, my "hip" pack is on my front. I only use it for Disney and I love having my hands free. I have used a backpack before but do not find it convenient.

I also have some capri's with pockets and if it's a day I am not using my camera I will just put my money and passes in my pockets and go like that!!

I'm not at Disney to make any sort of fashion statement (like I could anyways ), I just want to do whatever is easiest for me!
    Jeri Lynn

Fantasy 9/18 Dream 5/16 Fantasy 9/15 Wonder 10/14 Dream BCV ~ 12/09, BC ~9/18, 12/17 10/15 10/12 11/11 10/10 10/08, 11/07, 9/07, 11/06, 9/06, 12/05, 12/04, 9/04, 9/03, 9/02, 9/01, 12/2000, 9/99
    YC 9/16
    AKL 12/05, 9/05, 11/13
    DXL 9/98
    CBR 9/96
    DXL 5/93
    Off-site 1984, 1908

Post Thanks / Like

We are a cargo short family but I hate to lug anything but if you must wear a fanny pack DO NOT hang it off of your shoulder like a purse that just makes ugly go to hideous!
    '89 Grand Floridian
    '89 Carribean Beach
    '93 Offsite :(
    '94 Day Trip
    '99 Wilderness Cabins
    2006 Animal Kingdom Lodge
    September 2008 Coronado Springs!!

We are looking to try them all!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyAD View Post
    Eh, I'll take ugliness any day if I can avoid having a sweat-soaked back after wearing a backpack all day...which I would have to do if I didn't carry a fanny pack.
    AMEN! Okay, yes, I'm a product of the 80's, and spent many years in the parks during that time period. I bought black Disney fanny packs during our trip in 2001, and I've used them every trip since. I know they are considered "dorky", but I don't go to Disney to make a fashion statement anyway.

I feel much safer carrying my money, credit cards, and tickets in the fanny pack because it's close to my body, and it zips. Plus, it's much easier to go through security. So, to each his/her own....it makes my life easier, and my vacation more enjoyable, so I'll use it until it wears out.

And no, I don't use it anywhere else but Disney.

~Michelle~
    1980, 1983-1986, 1988, 1992, 1993
    1995 -Disneyland
    July 2001 -POFQ
    May 2006, May 2008, May 2010 -Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 2011-Port Orleans Riverside
    Sept. 2012 - Port Orleans Riverside Royal Room
    May 11-25, 2013 - Polynesian Resort
    Next trip: Dec. 14-20, 2014 - Wilderness Lodge

Post Thanks / Like

for me and dw it's an absolute must! personally i could care less about trends, we do what's more comfortable for us. to me i can't see how people walk around all day long in that Florida heat with backpacks on, trecking all over the parks, but that is of course (imho). fanny packs also provide security in the fact that everything is secure in there. no chance of losing anything. i guess it's just a personal peference.

Victor
    95-97,99(dixie landings)
    06/06(asmo- mighty ducks)
    06/07(asmu - jazz inn)
    12/07(asmu - broadway)
    06/08(asmu - calypso)
    12/08(asmu - rock inn)
    09/09(asmu - broadway)
    03/10(boardwalk)free upgrade
    09/10-(asmu- rock inn)
    10/11-(asmu-country+7 day west carib cruise)
    3/12- (okw resort dvc)

Post Thanks / Like

I would NEVER wear a fanny pack anywhere but a theme park. There, and espcially at Disney I must have it. i refuse to carry a big bag around all day. In normal everyday life i am very fashion conscience, but at Disney I'm on vacation and I don't care what you think about my fanny pack.
    Last edited by the real Alice; 03-11-2008 at 10:37 AM. Reason: spelling
    Alice
    Disney Junkie and vacation planner
    10 trips and counting
    Next up June '14 very quick trip :)

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: