Quantcast Am I wrong for being upset?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Am I wrong for being upset?

I'm so upset with my mom right now, but even worse, feel guilty for being upset. Our ds turned 7 yesterday. He had decided he did not want to have a birthday party. He felt too "old" for the kind we've been having (at Chuck E Cheese or wherever) And I was fine with this too as those parties get expensive Plus, it's so cold here now, if we just had something at the house, they couldn't go outside and play. So we had talked and agreed we'd forego the party, and go out to dinner and we'd spend more money on the presents (which is an idea he really loved!) Plus, I sent cupcakes and stuff to school yesterday for a little class party. Well, after a week with my mom while we were gone, I come back to hear how he wants a party so she's gonna have one at her house. I was miffed, b/c it seemed to be more about her than him, but went along with it since she was gonna do all the work, etc. Next thing I know, she's calling telling me she's decided to move his party to my house since we have more room and they've invited more people than they planned. Says she's planning it for a Sunday. I asked if we could switch it to a Saturday b/c we had family plans on Sunday. Of course we couldn't b/c my stepdad had to work Saturday. Still, I'm dealing. Well, she just called now wanting to know what I had planned for everyone to do since it was gonna be cold and rainy the day of his party? What???? Wants to know what kind of gift bags I'm getting, how many kids from the neighborhood I've invited, etc. And then gets angry at me because I don't seem to be enjoying the planning? Really, I appreciate her caring, but this just keeps getting worse and worse. I even talked to ds last nite to make sure he hadn't cried to her how much he wanted a party? In which case I'd understand a little more of this. But he said he didn't want one, he was too "big". Aaggghhhh!
    [I]Hello. We are the Bradshaws. And We are Disneyholics.

September 2000- Music
    June 2004- Pop
    June 2006- Movies
    February 2008- Offsite (Won't Do That Again!)
    May 2009- First Ever Disney Camping Trip!
    June 2011- Pop
    Feb 2012- Sports
    Dec 2012- Movies
    May 2014- Pop

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

No. You're not wrong for being upset. I would be too. I think any rational person would be. I know this doesn't make you feel any better, but maybe it will help some.

Post Thanks / Like

Do not be upset. Cancel the party and then both you and your son will be happy. Just make sure you do something special with him, and include your mom if you would like.
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe you can cancel it and blame it on the weather?
    Disney World: 10/92 Yacht Club, 11/96 Disney Institute, 12/00 Yacht Club, 6/05 Beach Club, 8/06 Shades of Green, 8/07 Caribbean Beach Resort, 10/07 Coronado Springs, 12/08 French Quarter, 3/10 All Star Sports, 4/12 Port Orleans Riverside

Disneyland: 1987, 1997, 2002, 2008, 2010, 2013

Post Thanks / Like

Upset would be an understatment. I can sympathize with the guilty part though. I would call her immediately and cancel the party. Explain you and your son already had the agreement. Be honest not emotional. Explain that doing this would send your son the wrong message. He gets the best of both worlds more presents or a larger one and a party. Maybe explaining it that way will lessen her hurt. I have found the best thing is honesty, honesty, honesty. Good luck, sometimes not wanting to hurt others really puts you in a strange place. If it happens once, it will happen again, I have learned my lesson some time ago.
    Next Trip: POP Century...September 16th to September 26th!

Post Thanks / Like

Clearly your mother is in the wrong for pushing this party agenda. You don't want it, the birthday kid himself doesn't want it so I agree with canceling. Maybe you can include your mom in your dinner plans and make sure they bring him out some cake so you can sing to him. I think that she probably feels every kid should have a party and that she wants to celebrate his special day in a fun way, and can't grasp the fact that he doesn't care about the party.
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scar View Post
    Do not be upset. Cancel the party and then both you and your son will be happy. Just make sure you do something special with him, and include your mom if you would like.
    I completly agree with you, I'd have Mom get on the phone with the people she invited and explain that she made a mistake. It never ceases to amaze me what people do and feel that they have the right to do. Your son, your rules.
    Up Next
    15 Disney Hilton Head Jul 5 - Jul 7
    15 Disney Dream Jul 1 - Jul 5
    15 Beach Club Jun 27- Jul 1
    14 Dolphin Resort Jun 12-16
    13 Fort Wilderness Christmas Dec 20- Dec 26

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with you, I'd be upset to. I'd cancel the party and explain to your mother what you and your son had planned.

Salisbury, Md 14 hours, 21 minutes or 903.36 miles From Disney
    Post Thanks / Like

Is your mom's name by chance Maryanne? you have just described my mother to a tee. you have every right to be upset as I have been in teh same situation as you many times thanks to my mom.Sending lots of pixie dust your way in hopes this might help the situation.
    șoș Josette șoș
    ~*~Next up~*~
    November 2015
    Surprise trip(Pop Century)

Just because I cannot see it, doesn't mean I can't believe it! -Jack Skellington

Post Thanks / Like

I agree you have every right to be upset. If DS doesn't want a party, then his wishes come first. Cancel the party, blame it on the rain, or a sore throat or whatever. 'Course if your mom is like mine, an argument will ensue, so be prepared.
    "Oh that clock, even HE orders me around!"
    -Cinderella
    ~~~~~~
    Next trip: DLR February 2015
    Last trip: January 2014.
    7 trips to the World.
    1 trip to Disneyland Paris.
    25 trips to Disneyland.

Post Thanks / Like

I would say that you have 2 choices
    cancel the party-tell her that you son does not want a party and you did not want to host one anyway.
    or
    tell her that because she is the one who insisted on the party ask her what her budget is and when she plans on reimbursing you for the gift bags etc.
    If she is insistant on a party, have it on the day that works for you. Invite her/stepfather and whomever else in the Family that wants to be there. Serve pepperidge farm cake and vanilla ice cream, blow out the candles serve the cake and ice cream, give your son the presents then send everyone on their way!

WAY back in the day birthday parties were for immediate family only. at least in my house it was. that was the routine, pepperidge farm cake, ice cream, blow out the candles. (relight and let the smaller siblings blow them out as well)
    Open presents and then leave.
    there were no gift bags!
    Good luck
    Dolphin & POFQ 2010

POFQ 2008

ALL STAR MUSIC August 2007

POP August 2006

Coronado Springs 2005

DCL trip December 2005

WDW DOLPHIN July 2004

WDW DOLPHIN JUNE 2002

WDW DOLPHIN March 1998

WDW OFF PROPERTY March 1994

DL Honeymoon 1987

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies everyone, and support. I'll probably just grin and bear it through the party, as now ds is expecting it. But it will NOT happen again.
    [I]Hello. We are the Bradshaws. And We are Disneyholics.

September 2000- Music
    June 2004- Pop
    June 2006- Movies
    February 2008- Offsite (Won't Do That Again!)
    May 2009- First Ever Disney Camping Trip!
    June 2011- Pop
    Feb 2012- Sports
    Dec 2012- Movies
    May 2014- Pop

Post Thanks / Like

Sending for strength and patience for the weekend. Your choice is probably best for all because you can avoid the guilt and the fallout and your son won't feel like he's torn between making grandma happy or you and himself. I do agree that you are right to make decisions for your child and then to change it to your house is out of line. Good luck with it and sending Happy Birthday wishes for your son!
    Next
    DD, DS @ AKV Dec 12 SSR 12-16

AKV Savannah 8/08
    ASMu my BD 4/08 w/ Angel & MrsSgtT
    SSR 10/07 BWV-12/06
    Pop-05 04 03 1st Nighters
    OKW-97 96 Poly- 89 87 86 CR:72
    Offsite:8xs FW:83 82 82 DL 67,68,71

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tinklover View Post
    Is your mom's name by chance Maryanne?
    Lol that's actual my name, spelled that exact way. It's very rare to find someone who spells it all one word with an E at the end. Too bad I share my name with such a pushy woman
    Quote Originally Posted by crazypoohbear View Post
    WAY back in the day birthday parties were for immediate family only. at least in my house it was.
    We still do this. I think I had big parties with friends in 2nd through 5th grade, but we always have a separate family party. Ours used to include a personalized cake, cupcakes made from my grandmother's secret recipe when she was still alive and well, carvel ice cream cake, and chips, pretzels and cheese curls.

Hang in there and make your mother help you more with this party. Good luck to you and let us know how it turns out.
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

Default party

Last year we let our kids have 2 friends come over and spend the night for their party. We went out to dinner, to a movie and then came home and they stayed up really late playing video games. The deal was that they could have a big party and a small gift or a small party and $75.00 cash. Well, they took the money and the 2 friends and ran with it. Btw, my sons were turning 8 and 12 at the time. After the 8 yr old saw that the 12 yr old did his party this way he did the same thing 4 months later. This has since turned into a popular thing for their friends and the parents love it!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: