Quantcast "Forgetting" the tip on DDP

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default "Forgetting" the tip on DDP

Now that the tip has not been included for over a month on the DDP, I was wondering if there were any incidences of not leaving a tip. I was thinking that when they took the tip away that it may be a problem. I know that they probably remind you when you purchase the plan but some people may not tip as well as the 18% before or not tip at all.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

When we were just there.. All the waitstaff was ontop of reminding you about the tip and asking how you would like to pay for it. Almost to the point, that if I wanted to just leave cash, I had to make a point of telling them a few times I was leaving cash.

If you "forget" it will be on purpose..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VRod RS View Post
    All the waitstaff was ontop of reminding you about the tip and asking how you would like to pay for it. Almost to the point, that if I wanted to just leave cash, I had to make a point of telling them a few times I was leaving cash.
    See to me this is really bad show having a waiter reminding you to leave a tip and asking how you would like to pay for it
    Jeff (aka JPL)
    Former VMK alias figgiefig
    Intercot Staff
    Disney Tech - Software, Games & Web
    The Locker Room
    Disney Vacation Club

[email protected]

"Remember it all started with a Mouse"

Post Thanks / Like

I agree totally!! A waiter nor anyone else in a resturaunt should ever have to "remind" someone about a tip. As far as I am concerned if they were to mention it I might not give them anything at all. We do tip appropiately at all times but I would consider someone discussing it an insult, uncomfortable , and just plain rude. Bad move disney!
    2003- Oct.-Carribean Beach Resort
    2006- Oct/Nov.-Carribean Beach Resort
    2007-Nov.- POFQ
    2008-Nov.- POFQ
    2009- Nov.- POFQ
    2010- Nov.- PO Riverside
    2011- May- PO Riverside
    2012-May- Coronado
    2013-May- PO Riverside
    2014-May- PO Riverside
    [B]2015-April- Coronado[B/]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JPL View Post
    See to me this is really bad show having a waiter reminding you to leave a tip and asking how you would like to pay for it
    That in itself is grounds for me not leaving one...

Post Thanks / Like

Agreed. Well said, Jeff. And Disney's supposed to hire the best professional servers around.

The poster formerly known as Disney_nut

Last Trip: 5/11 -- Swan

Next Trip: 10/11 -- Port Orleans - Riverside

Natazu Guest

Woe be unto the server that asks me how I want to pay for the tip if I didn't bring it up... like, wow.

Post Thanks / Like

I would love to hear from someone on the "inside" who is or knows CMs who are waitstaff to see how tips have been running vs last year's plan w tips included. While I think most folks (at least those of us here) appreciate wait staff and tip well, I don't think we are the majority.

Post Thanks / Like

I was there during MLK weekend. I overheard more than one of our wait staff said that they were being made by their managers to remind you of how the DDP works. They would say that you are entiltled to one non-alcholic beverage, one entree, and one dessert. Apps and tips are no longer included. I did not think it sounded demanding at all. They actually looked embarassed to have to say it! I did notice that our receipts had on the bottom suggested tip and then had the amount for 18% and 20% so you didn't have to figure it in your head.
    Dec 08 SSR & first trip at holidays!
    Jan/Feb 09 Girl's only weekend with McGoofy!
    Sept 09 bounceback free dining again!

"I just want to live happily ever after every now and then." Jimmy Buffett

Post Thanks / Like

Let's not be too harsh on the servers.
    The fact of the matter is that the way their system is designed, if youw ant to pay for a tip with your room card, they need to print out a second receipt ( one for the dining plan credit, and one for the tip ) and a lot of people have complained about the hassle of having to ask for that. I guess management's solution is to have the servers hassle you with the option to pay cash vs paying to your room.

It's annoying and "improper", I agree. but I don't blame the servers.
    Stephane Morrell

[B]"Here we see Schweitzer Falls, named after the famous scientist Albert Falls"

Next Trip March 2008 - AKV/BCV split stay

Post Thanks / Like

Instead of the wait staff reminding you continuously to tip them, which I agree is rude, it should just be pre-printed on the bottom of the receipt. Disney should be watching this as a corporation, since they decided to remove the tipping. If someone forgets, Disney should foot the bill discretely, at least until everyone gets the hang of things. I certainly don't want to be reminded to leave a tip!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~
    º0º Monica º0º

Resorts visited to date: *CR * ASSp * CBR * Poly * POFQ * AKL * POR *

Most recent trip: Aug '08 - Disney Cruise Line and Poly!!

Year off and then Off-Site Timeshare and WL July 2010!

"It all started with a mouse"

Post Thanks / Like

I agree not to take it out on the wait staff. They are in a awkward position. Disney themselves have put us and them in this position to pad their pockets. greedy and deceptive, if you ask me. If I was a waitress I would be worried sick someone would not know to leave a tip with the plan, lets face it, that's where they make their money. Disney put them in the position of "reminding" the customer, which is in poor taste. I feel sorry for the waiters/waitresses. It tells you right there Disney does not take too much interest in wether or not someone leaves a tip, they know they don't cover it anymore so that's all they are worried about. I agree it should be posted well in all dining correspondance from Disney via travel documents, posted on menus or printed at the bottom of receipts. Telling employees to remind patrons for a tip is awful.
    Next Trip: POP Century...September 16th to September 26th!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by #1disneyfan View Post
    ... If someone forgets, Disney should foot the bill discretely, at least until everyone gets the hang of things. I certainly don't want to be reminded to leave a tip!
    HAHA Yeah, getting money from Disney is like getting blood from a stone. It's almost a proven fact that Disney wanted the tip removed from the DDP to increase profits, they don't care about the waitstaff.

Post Thanks / Like

Just to clarify.. when I said.. reminding you, they don't even give you a chance.. They approach you with the bill and almost to a 'T' say.. "Can you total this out for me please..", The bill then shows the total of the bill and the 18% and 20% gratuities..

Then you add your gratuity to the bill and total it. When you give it back to them, you have to tell them to put it on your room if you want that or give them a credit card. If I am leaving Cash, I had to tell them I was doing that because if they get the bill back and it hasn't had a tip put on it, they then go into their explanation about the tip and DDP.

Is it bad form? SURE it is.. But Disney put them in this position I guess.. I talked to a few servers about the changes and they really feel awkward with the whole thing and it does show how they approach you. I suspect, they will come up with a "smoother" line as things go on, but right now it as rough..

What was bad form is when someone didn't leave a tip and I saw the server coming out to try and find the person to ask if they forgot it.. That was just horrible I thought.. Other servers have just let it go and chalked it up to being stiffed..

I tried to be fair to all servers and tipped pretty good.. I paid cash for a lot of tips and also put them on the room.. The room was easier and less touchy than cash.. so I ended the trip that way.

Post Thanks / Like

I think on our upcoming trip, I will let the server know in the very beginning,

"yes, we are on the dining plan, I am familiar with the changes, and to put your mind at ease, I will be charging the tip to my room."

Maybe this will help? Who knows.

We only had bad service once where we never saw the waitress and we were on the plan, so she got 18% for nothing. I will still tip appropriately and sometimes even above if the server is excellent!!
    Kristen and Ben
    Next - 8/7-15 @ OKW w/Kakn7294 & Taylor & Joline; 12/16 Disney Wonder&12/19 SSR; July '10 @ VWL w/Kakn7294 - Nursing School Graduation Party ; Aug '11 Disney Dream; F&WF '11
    DVC Owners @ SSR & AKV & BLT

Post Thanks / Like

Default Question?

I will not be on DDP, how do they know that you are not on it? I will be solo and didn't fell like being told what I can or can't order like no app, or one non al. drink.
    I'll be paying full fair and want to enjoy my meal?

Sounds like Disney took the fun out of eating.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisF View Post
    I will not be on DDP, how do they know that you are not on it? I will be solo and didn't fell like being told what I can or can't order like no app, or one non al. drink.
    I'll be paying full fair and want to enjoy my meal?

Sounds like Disney took the fun out of eating.
    Chris, they ask you upfront if you are on the DDP. So this way you can order whatever you like!
    Kristen and Ben
    Next - 8/7-15 @ OKW w/Kakn7294 & Taylor & Joline; 12/16 Disney Wonder&12/19 SSR; July '10 @ VWL w/Kakn7294 - Nursing School Graduation Party ; Aug '11 Disney Dream; F&WF '11
    DVC Owners @ SSR & AKV & BLT

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VRod RS View Post
    Just to clarify.. when I said.. reminding you, they don't even give you a chance.. They approach you with the bill and almost to a 'T' say.. "Can you total this out for me please..", The bill then shows the total of the bill and the 18% and 20% gratuities..

Then you add your gratuity to the bill and total it. When you give it back to them, you have to tell them to put it on your room if you want that or give them a credit card. If I am leaving Cash, I had to tell them I was doing that because if they get the bill back and it hasn't had a tip put on it, they then go into their explanation about the tip and DDP.

Is it bad form? SURE it is.. But Disney put them in this position I guess.. I talked to a few servers about the changes and they really feel awkward with the whole thing and it does show how they approach you. I suspect, they will come up with a "smoother" line as things go on, but right now it as rough..

What was bad form is when someone didn't leave a tip and I saw the server coming out to try and find the person to ask if they forgot it.. That was just horrible I thought.. Other servers have just let it go and chalked it up to being stiffed..

I tried to be fair to all servers and tipped pretty good.. I paid cash for a lot of tips and also put them on the room.. The room was easier and less touchy than cash.. so I ended the trip that way.
    The bold above is in VERY BAD taste, IMO. I've only stiffed a waitress once (not at WDW, but it was while on vacation). It was the worst service I've ever had, and I not only didn't tip, but talked to the manager. She then had the nerve to ask me if I forgot to tip her! I gave her a piece of my mind.

Hearing this practice of reminding to tip is making me re-think getting the DDP. Now that the ease of having everything taken care of his gone, there's very little still attractive about the DDP. It will only save our family about $100, and w/out the plan, we'd probably eat less TS meals anyway.

I know it's not the fault of the servers. Disney put them in this position. But I bet disney creating "pushy" servers will be turning a lot of people off of the DDP.
    "That’s the real trouble with the world, too many people grow up." ~Walt Disney

Disneyland 1987
    WDW 1992
    POFQ 6/25/01-7/1/01
    POP 6/26/06-7/1/06
    POP 8/4/08-8/9/08
    POR 8/5/09-8/12/09
    POR 10/27-10/31
    Next Trip- POR 6/23-6/28

Post Thanks / Like

We are here now and I must say this new system is confusing. Like another poster said, they bring the bill with the suggested tip and ask you to total it. I don't like this at all because they know if they are getting 15, 18 or 20% before they even run the card. If the service is bad (we had one today) and you leave 15%, you get "the look".
    At buffets they show 15 and 18%. At nicer restaurants they show only 18 and 20%.

Then, when they bring the bill, it looks like you have to put the tip again and sign. But NO... this line is for an ADDITIONAL tip. However, it does not say that. Our first night I double tipped... the waiter was nice enough to tell me and explain the double copies.

This is a real pain...
    ~Angel~
    Proud DVC owners!
    SSR January 2007
    Bay Lake November 2008

Post Thanks / Like

The new system is confusing, and I understand the servers are living off tips. Honestly, I would have no problem if at the beginning of the meal, instead of the end, my server politely explained that on the 2008 Disney Dining Plan, gratuity is not included in the total bill. If it was approached tastefully and appropriately, I wouldn't find it unprofessional.
    The poster formerly known as Disney_nut

Last Trip: 5/11 -- Swan

Next Trip: 10/11 -- Port Orleans - Riverside

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: