Quantcast How do you budget for souvenirs?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

View Poll Results: How do you budget for souvenirs?

Voters
101. You may not vote on this poll
  • Set an amount for each person for each day/park

13 12.87%
  • Set an amount for each person for the whole trip

42 41.58%
  • Don't budget anything and just buy what you want, when you want

46 45.54%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default How do you budget for souvenirs?

Just curious how people budget their souvenir spending. I am trying to figure out the best way and how much for each person (DH, DD2 and myself). Any suggestions are appreciated! Thanks!
    Amber
    3/08 - Coronado Springs
    12/08 - Coronado Springs
    5/09 - Beach Club
    9/09 - Caribbean Beach and Yacht Club
    2/10 - Yacht Club
    5/10 - Animal Kingdom Lodge and Polynesian

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Unfortunately, I don't. If I see something I or someone I know would like...I buy!!!!
    Polynesian and Wonder 3/14-3/23

Post Thanks / Like

I guess I really don't. My DS doesn't want a lot of sovineers except "maybe" for a T-shirt. Since he's my only one I limit him to maybe $200 at the lego store (I'll probably divide some of that to get a light saber this year). Me...all I want is a Christmas ornament.

Pictures are my biggest souvineer.

HOWEVER...when we go to Universal my DS LOVES his superheros so I can bank on at least 2-3 T-Shirts, hero clix (if they have them) and perhaps a superhero encylopedia of some sort. It may be a lot to spend but he loves to play Clix every weekend and he LOVES pouring over his superhero encylopedias. My Dad was a big comic book superhero lover so I guess the hobby passes down to both of us.
    Have no clue 1983
    Days Inn 1992
    Value Movies 2002
    Value Music 2003
    Value Movies 2004
    DisneyLand 2005
    Value Pop July 2006
    Coronodo Springs 2008

Post Thanks / Like

I have to set a budget. If I bought everything I wanted I'd spend more than my house is worth buying collectible pieces.

I'd set a dollar range. On our last trip (10 days) I planned on $100 - 150 for him. He doesn't usually get but a t-shirt and a couple of other items. I planned on $350 - 500 for myself. I on the other hand get several t-shirts to wear, pins, mugs, etc. Also I budgeted $1000 for him to spend on me for Christmas. I like the WDCC pieces so he was getting me some of those.

I found that to be the best way. If you set it for the trip then everyone can spend at their pace.
    Go Nashville Predators!
    9/09 ASMo
    10/08 ASMu
    9/07 Caribbean Beach
    1/07 Marriott - family trip

9/06 Coronado Springs

09/03 Coronado Springs - Honeymoon
    10/99 Coronado Springs

06/96 Old Key West
    07/93 Beach Club
    12/91 Offsite - High School Trip

Post Thanks / Like

Several trips with the trip home filled with "man..I wish I'd got that.." has taught me to pretty much buy stuff I like when I see it. I passed on a lot of things this time that I know I'd like to have, but I know now I should have just jumped on them.
    Luckily my Dad is sweet enough (read = loves any excuse to visit the World) to drive three hours from his house to pick me up some stuff at DTD if I really can't stand it.
    1/96- First trip to WDW (age 8)
    7/97- First trip to DLR
    '98-'06- Countless weekend trips to WDW
    12/2006- WDW for Christmas party
    8/07- All Star Sports
    1/08 - Coronado Springs
    9/2008 - DLR/Moving to CA

Post Thanks / Like

From the time my daughter was small, we set a limit. We would allow her to take like $75 out of her savings acct. She could also earn extra money for helping Grandma, baby sitting, etc that she could use however she pleased. We always buy her a couple of things from us. She learned early on not to buy the first thing she sees, otherwise her money would be gone 2 days into trip.

Post Thanks / Like

We try and set a general limit for the trip. We also try and think about what we need/want before we go.

Such as, I really want a Mickey sweatshirt this time, we want more stuff for the house, etc. This helps keep us on track when we see all of the "cute" stuff all over the parks.

We do tend to spend more than we intend to, especially since you don't really see the $$ when it is charged to the room key. It's funny, we buy the Dining plan, the packages, all so we can track spending, and this one always messes us up.

Last trip, we spent about $750 on "stuff", not too bad for the 3 of us!
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

Selected "Don't budget" but then we don't buy many souvenirs regardless of where we go. We tend to like to get a couple of things that act as reminders of the place. I get a shirt or two and a hat each year. WIth that little, budgetting isn't a concern.
    26 years staying at the Polynesian
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday...
    Twenty six straight years staying at the Polynesian
    Next trip: October 2018

Post Thanks / Like

Budget? What is budget?
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Ours really isn't a specific amount budgeted. We'll walk through most of the stores but not find things that my sons just have to have. If we do buy something it's usually one thing per day and not very expensive. Lego store is the one that hurts us most.
    First visit-1972
    Contemporary-Ft Wilderness-Royal Palace/DTD-AS Music-AS Movies-AS Sports-Coranado Springs-Pop Century-Animal Kingdom Lodge-Port Orleans Riverside-Hilton/DTD-Port Orleans French Quarter-Caribbean Beach
    Last visit-Mar 2011
    Next visit-Sep 2011

WarEagle

Post Thanks / Like

I don't set a budget. However, I've been enough times to have a pretty good idea of some of the things I want before I go, so I make a list of those and add it to my itinerary. Also, when I do see things that I want that I hadn't considered before hand, I think about if I will really use it after I get home, and also about if I would regret it if I didn't get it. I try not to be overcome by impulse buys and that crazy Disney emotion that they must pump into the gift shops.

Overall, I've been happy with the things I've brought home over the last few trips, and I don't feel like I've overspent.
    Disney World: 10/92 Yacht Club, 11/96 Disney Institute, 12/00 Yacht Club, 6/05 Beach Club, 8/06 Shades of Green, 8/07 Caribbean Beach Resort, 10/07 Coronado Springs, 12/08 French Quarter, 3/10 All Star Sports, 4/12 Port Orleans Riverside

Disneyland: 1987, 1997, 2002, 2008, 2010, 2013

Post Thanks / Like

I chose budget for the whole trip, but it kinda falls into each of the three choices. We have the boys save up their money, but we also give them some as well. Then we give them the choice of how much of their money they want to take, put it on a gift card or disney dollars, and let them choose when and how to spend it. If they spend it all on the first day, then so be it, it's gone. We try to discourage this, but also try to teach them lessons on how hard it is to come by and how easily it is to lose.

I still have trouble with this...
    °O°Amy °O° DVC Member
    2011 Dec-Poly with the grandparents--whoo-hoo!!!
    2011 June-SSR!!!!!
    2008 Aug-Colbey&Gray's Birthday surprise-SSR/OKW
    2008 June-SSR
    2006 June-Port Orleans Riverside
    2004 Easter-CSR
    1988 May-Graduation
    1982 Offsite
    1980 Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

As soon as we start planning and book the trip, I start buying Disney dollars anytime I have a few extra bucks to spend.

I also have tell the kids that they can save their money and buy Disney Dollars with them. I don't force them, but they know that whatever they save is what they have to spend. We spend as many DDs as we have, but no more.

Post Thanks / Like

However you decide to do it, I highly recommend waiting for a few days before purchasing anything but necessities. There is so much to pick from, I'll often see things I like better after I've spent my allotted money! Oh well, then you just have twice as much!
    Jul80 DLR, Dec75 FW, Sept91 offsite, Sept95 ASSp, June00 offsite, June01 ASMo, July02 WL, June03 ASMo, Oct03 POR, Poly, Aug04 Pop,ASMu, Oct04 ASSp, Sept05 CSR,Pop,CBR, Dec06 WL,Pop, Sept07 POP,POR, Dec07 POP,May08 POP, Sept08 CR,Sept09 POP,Aug10 CBR, Feb11 POP, July11 AKL, Nov12 POP, March13 offsite

Post Thanks / Like

I couldn't vote in the poll, because my budgeting method is to save as much as possible before the trip, and that's my spending money LOL

On our January 07 trip, DD pretty much got whatever she wanted, mainly because Grandma and Grandpa were with us. In September, I severely cut back on my spending (on her, anyway LOL). I also had a pretty detailed list of what I wanted to buy--for me, and for gifts for others. DD also had a list of things she wanted to buy.

Although, I guess that didn't work out too well, seeing as how I had to buy another suitcase the night before we left LOL
    Christi

2014: May--POR & US/IOA; Nov--POR (1st rD--JJ5k!)
    2013: May--POR
    2012: Jun--POP; Aug--POP/Hard Rock
    2011: Aug/Sept--US/IOA; Nov--POFQ
    2010: Dec--CSR
    2009: Sept--Poly GVCL
    2008: Sept--POFQ
    2007: Jan/Feb--POR; Sept: POFQ
    2004: Oct--CSR
    1987: off-site

Post Thanks / Like

We have never budgeted as such as we have always had a good idea what people want .Also when we have gone to the USA we tend to get our xmas presents for the following year as well in some cases

Post Thanks / Like

Well, for my family, it's really the first two...

For me, I have an allotted amount that I can spend the whole trip and I spend it as I see things that I would like. I also spend some of my allottment on DS. This budget amount is based on how much I have been able to save before we go. I do have an idea of what I will spend before I go, because I know I want a tshirt, and a mug, and a frame, and a... you get the point.

For DS, he gets an allottment that he can spend per day. Last trip he did very well with this and alloted so well that most days he had money left over; then we went to DTD for our last day and he was able to spend his daily allottment, plus the leftovers!

I must admit though... and let me qualify this by saying, I am cheap .... but that being said, I really didn't spend as much on my last trip as I thought I would. I brought home more than half of the money that I had budgeted; even with those little extras, and I really didn't feel like I missed anything or didn't do, because I didn't have. I had a great trip, got a lot of great souvenirs, and brought money home... how cool is that??

Post Thanks / Like

Well I voted for setting an amount per day/ per park, this is what I do for DS's, but DH & myself get an alottment for the entire trip. We all bring some of our own spending money for more spending power!

I'm weird, for our upcoming trip & our last trip, I made of a list of things that I wanted to get for myself! This years list includes an umbrella, another watch, and a long sleeve Tshirt! I said I was weird! Every year I also add to my kitchenware collection. Last trip I found an adorable clock that matched everything i had! I love my clock!
    Shari
    -"There's A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow..."

'02 - All Star Movies
    '04, '05, '06, '10, '11, '16, '19, '21 - Pop Century

'08 - Offsite/Pop Century
    '13, '21 - Offsite
    '17 - Port Orleans/French Quarter!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by biodtl View Post
    As soon as we start planning and book the trip, I start buying Disney dollars anytime I have a few extra bucks to spend.

I also have tell the kids that they can save their money and buy Disney Dollars with them. I don't force them, but they know that whatever they save is what they have to spend. We spend as many DDs as we have, but no more.
    what are Disney Dollars? Next week will be our first trip, and I have set the kids(4) on their own budget......just curious what a Disney Dollar is, lol, is it something I need??

Post Thanks / Like

If I like it I buy it, is pretty much what I go by.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: