Quantcast disney haters, are they nutz?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default disney haters, are they nutz?

hey all, not sure if i'm posting in the right place, but i wanted your opinion. we were talking the other day at work and my boss said she would not take her kids to disney because she hated disney!! is this crazy? i understand that not everyone is a fanatic like most of us, but i don't get how anyone could hate it. how could you not love how you feel while you're at disney? it's sooo magical. i just don't get it!!! any other opinions on this? just curious...
    RACHEL
    next visit sept 2008
    sept 2007
    feb 2007
    may 2006
    january 2005;
    january 2004
    march 2003
    june 2001
    all visits at all star movies

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    pogo Guest

I've got family members who say they don't care to go to WDW, but what they really mean is.... we can't afford to go to WDW. People will make excuses for not wanting to go.

Post Thanks / Like

Some people don't get it...

But I also think that a lot of poeple have figured out the whole profit first concept happening at the world and really don't enjoy having Mickey's hand in their wallet 24/7.

Probably 50% of the people that I talk to about recent trips all mention that it's really changed down there. I have to agree...

And yes, there is probably a lot of jealousy towards those that go a lot.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

You know here's my take on this ... to each his own. If you don't like Disney that's fine, but don't take it out on your kids.

I mean look ... WDW is not necessarily the pinnacle of culture, but it is something that all kids should have a chance to experience. Getting your picture taken with Mickey is a rite of passage that parents shouldn't deny their kids just because they claim to "hate" Disney.

There are plenty of reasons to hate Disney these days ... the parks aren't what they used to be, they've been largely taken over by corporate-minded bean counters, and (as Disney Rox said) they really seem to have a serious penchant for sticking their hands in your pocket any chance they get.

But for kids ... they don't know any of this. They think it's the most magical place in the world and I don't blame them. Just take them, gut it out, and do something selfless for your children.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox View Post
    Some people don't get it...

But I also think that a lot of poeple have figured out the whole profit first concept happening at the world and really don't enjoy having Mickey's hand in their wallet 24/7.

Probably 50% of the people that I talk to about recent trips all mention that it's really changed down there. I have to agree...

And yes, there is probably a lot of jealousy towards those that go a lot.
    i completely agree about the whole buisness/profit/ marketing thing. and the it has definately changed in recent years. but, we have taken several different vacations and we can stay at disney for the longest amount of time for the least amount of money.
    i also agree that even if you hate it, you should at least take your kids for the experience. i think some people (those who definately have the money) are selfish and only take their kids places they like. i mean come on, i don't really love playhouse disney, but we go everytime for the kids. when you have kids, you sometimes have to grin and bear it . just my opinion.
    RACHEL
    next visit sept 2008
    sept 2007
    feb 2007
    may 2006
    january 2005;
    january 2004
    march 2003
    june 2001
    all visits at all star movies

Post Thanks / Like

I have to agree with Ian. Going to Disney is a rite of passage. I know a lot of people can't afford it, but if you can you shouldn't deny your kids at least 1 trip.

When I was planning our last trip I took one of my Disney World books to a doctors office to read while I waited. When the doctor came in he noted the book and we had a very nice discussion about Disney World and how he enjoys taking his kids there at least once a year. We also talked about how its so much fun to have fun WITH your kids. Not just watch them or them sit by while you have fun. But, also mentioned to me that there was one thing that he didn't understand. How a mouse with such a big hand gets it in your wallet so quickly. He has a point. But, people need to remember that Disney is infact a corporation. A large corporation. Yes, I wish they would pay closer attention to the small details (I HATE to see dust on top of something and spiderwebs hanging, and I don't mean in HM) and the guests experience. But, at this point the bottom line is their bottom line is what matters most. I think at some point they'll have to explore the fact that if they pay to close attention to their $$ it's going to decrease. $$ playing too big of a part is going to take away from the magic.

I think that part of the reason for YOMD was to put some magic back that has been lost. Has it worked? I'm not sure. When we go to Disney World I go into it for the magic of the experience and the fun were going to have. I think most people here do. That's why it's still magic to us. If you go into it with a negative attitude your going to have a negative experience. You'll end up one of these people I've seen screaming at a poor CM.

I also think that we have the benefit of knowing how things work. If you don't know you need to make adr if you want to eat at specific places, don't understand EMHs, fastpass, etc I can see your trip being very frustrating.

Another thing that makes people hate Disney is too many people are too grownup or they try to be too grownup. Just like my siggie says, that's the real problem ith the world. If your too grownup you lose your ability to see and experience magic. You lose your imagination. You lose your wonder and want to learn and experience new things. To me, that's no way to live.

I know its hard for those of us who LOVE Disney to understand people who hate it and they don't understand us. But, they should keep in mind that everyone has their own opinion and own likes and dislikes. Too many times I've experience a person who doesn't like Disney shacking their head at me and trying to make me feel stupid for my love of Disney. To each his own.

It would take a lot for me not to change my mind about Disney, and I really mean a lot. I hope that never happens. Experiencing that magic is second to none.
    Melissa

4/87 offsite, 3/05 AKL, 10/06 WL, 3/08 GF, 1/09 WL, 3/09 Poly, 10/09 SSR, 1/10 AKV, 10/10 BLT, 12/10 AKV, 2/11 Poly, 5/11 BCV, 10/11 BLT, 12/11 WL, 5/12 1st Cruise on the Dream & BWV, 10/12 BLT!

"...That's the real trouble with the world, too many people grow up." Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

As the mom of a princess-loving daughter, I have been coming across a lot of anti-princess stuff - mothers who think it teaches them to be dependent on men, wait for a prince, be helpless, etc. But it doesn't bother me one bit. I loved the same things as a child and I grew up a strong, independent woman. I also pretended to be a soldier, a monster, an astronaut, Barbie, a pirate, an airplane, Jerry Lewis and a dog, and I turned out to be none of those, either.

There a lot of things that are MUCH worse in every magazine, billboard and on TV.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Disney Haters

I don't know if this has ever happened to anyone else, but I've had people tell me they don't go to Disney because they hate it and then admit they've never been before....well, I thought it was overrated before I went too....

Post Thanks / Like

I must admit I'm amazed at the people posting about "bean counters" and Mickey's "hand in your pocket." Yes, Disney is a business--that has to make a profit--and answer to stockholders! I don't know about you but I know our personal expenses (e.g.gas, utility bills, grocery bills) are going up. Think maybe costs are going up at Disney too?!?

I was actually amazed at the DDP prior to the changes and, even now, think they must be counting on a percentage of the people using it at the higher end table service meals. Otherwise, it just doesn't work for them at all.

Disney is not cheap but I can only imagine what their daily operating cost must be. Just the fireworks shows alone--name me another place that have shows like that every day! (Ask a local municipality what their July 4th display costs; not even factoring in liability insurance costs to set them off.)

Hate to tell you but the day the "bean counters" don't see a profit, we won't have anymore WDW!
    10/85 Off Site
    2/88 Disney Vil
    10/90 Disney Vil
    10/93 CB & GF
    5/94 WL
    12/95 Cont
    10/98 WL & CS
    12/00 DixLand & Poly
    12/04 Cabins & YC
    10/05 POFQ
    5/07 Cont & BCV
    10/07 Pop
    12/08 POR!
    5/09 Poly!
    5/10 WL
    10/10 POFQ
    5/11 CS
    10/11 PORS & BW
    5/12 Pop
    6/12 gave in & just moved

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I can understand people hating Disney. It's just not their thing and not everyone likes Theme Parks. It dosen't bother me that some people don't like it and I really can understand.
    If you don't like rides or can't tolerate crowds or standing in line Disney isn't for you. Those experiences aren't magical for everyone.

I try to think of it this way. I hate skiing. I hate doing anything thing out in the cold weather. When I was younger we went skiing all of the time with my parents because we owned a ski house in upstate NY. Going all the time didn't make me like it more. Some people love skiing and being in the fresh air on a beautiful mountain. I just don't and that's why I can understand why Disney doesn't appeal to everyone
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

My Brother in law is like this and hates his kids getting Disney stuff, although he is much better than he used to be, however he refuses to even think of taking his kids to any of the disney parks.

So when the kids get a wee bit older my twin sister and I will be kidnapping them and taking them ourselves with the help of their grandpareent on both sides.
    Dragongirlx (AkA Ruth)

Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

2004 - offsite
    2006 - Dolphin
    2007- WL
    2008 - Poly
    2009 - WL
    2010 - GF
    2012 - WL
    2013 - WL
    2014 - WL

Post Thanks / Like

I could see how if someone's only trip to WDW was on the 4th of July, Christmas day (read: capacity crowds) how they might not be able to stand it.

I know I hate being at Disney on "those" days and never will go during that time period.

Off season for me thanks!
    Disneyland: many, MANY times!
    WDW:POR POFQ BWV WLV ASMu POLY

Am I a huge disney fan? YOU BETCHA! I blame it all on my parents! They are the one's that walked around Disneyland all day to induce labor! Yep, I've been going to Disneyland since the day before I was born!

Post Thanks / Like

my mother hates disney... and i have the hardest time dealing with it. but she has hated it from the first time she went at like, 12 when my great-grandmother took her and my aunts... she read the entire time.

i really want her to to come with us, just once, because it isn't just me, it is me and my dd... n she gets to see all the characters and cinderella's castle and all. i want her to see how happy she is and how much fun she has whei don't understand how someone can hate it. it is so magical and happy. she laughs at me at how often me and dd go. kinda makes fun of me. i envy those families that have grandparents go along and everyone gets to experience all that together. but i can't make her enjoy it or want to go. i just wish i could...
    Day trips:
    WAAAAAY too many to count...

AKL Mar 7-9 One Year Anniversary!

Post Thanks / Like

I confess that the complaint that things are too expensive at Disney riles me a little as well. People want new and improved multi-million dollar exhibits at every turn, the best restaurants with world renowned chefs, firework shows everwhere and every night, luxury resorts with spotless conditions, but yet they will be the first to complain that there's a gift shop when they get off of an exhibit.
    All things considered I'm surprised that a family of four can do a Disney vacation with what Disney has to offer as inexpensively as they they do.
    Doug
    38 Trips to Disney World.

Post Thanks / Like

I started to love WDW after my first trip with the kids (they were 7 and 5 at the time). Before that, I wasn't a Disney hater, but it didn't appeal to me as a place that I had to go to. But after that first trip with them, I saw how they loved it and I was transformed. I have been back to WDW practically every year with them (they are 15 and 13), and I still look forward to it.

Perhaps your boss' perception might change if she just gave it a chance.
    Alex

4/1976 - offsite,4/1983 - offsite,5/1999 - CaribBeach,5/2000 - CaribBeach,
    11/2001 - Coronado,7/2003 - AKL, 8/2004 - POFQ, 8/2005 - Poly, 8/2006 - Grand Flo,10/2007 - POFQ, 8/2008 - Wilderness Lodge, 8/2009 - POR, 8/2010 - CaribBeach, 8/2011 - Coronado, 8/2012 -Coronado, 8/2014 - Coronado

Post Thanks / Like

Well....I am happy this was posted! It offends me when people put Disney down, but to each his own. I am not a fan of laying on a beach all day for my vacation, soooooo
    The last man I was involved with was a total NUT (which I unfortuntely did not see until towards the end). He was counter culture all the way and claimed that Disney was "The Anti Christ" (whatever that was supposed to mean!) He had never been, never took his now 21 year old son, and thought I should never go again because it's all , to paraphrase, "Manure to poison kid's minds" I kid you not...this 47 year old man told me this.....Turns out, I found out a whole heap of pretty 'manure-ish' stuff about him and dumped him! And promptly celebrated by calling my mother and planning a trip to Disney World for the next week! Ha ha to him.

Most of my friends are Disney fans. The others I know who are not have never traveled anywhere in this country or abroad. Maybe it is just a lack of interest in anythign different?

As far as Disney being a corporation and having hands in pockets...I guess we could say that about Blue Cross, Exxon, Wal Mart....At least when I go Disney I get to immerse myself in a happy place withere 98% of the other people who are there are happy, too. $70 barely fills my gas tank on my truck. But it gives me a heck of a time at Epcot for the day!
    1988,97,98*,99, 2000,01*,02*,04*,05*,07,08*,09,11,12*,13*'14*,15&, 16*,17(*=2x that year &=3x) on site WDW
    Next trip to WDW: Planning October 2017 and beyond! I love my AP!
    1991 DL 1993 DL Paris
    "If we can dream it, we can do it"
    "The harder I work, the luckier I get"

Post Thanks / Like

Last year DD and I finally took our kids relucantly to WDW because we felt as "Good Parents" we needed to give it to them. (DDs 9,7 and DSs 6, 4) Neither of us had been since childhhood and back then there was only MK.

We DREADED the trip. We hate lines, getting nickeled and dimed with kid yucky trinkets, and the thought of nasty parents screaming at their children and/or unruly kids running amuck! We moaned to all of our friends about going for months before.

Well...they were shocked when we came home as DVC owners! We LOVED the place. We didn't see the crazy people I expected to see (well, a couple of times) It was so well done and relaxing I would never have expected that we would be back 9 months later!

I guess I would say people can change, although I still am not a Disney freak, but I did find it a magacial place!
    Last edited by Beast_fanatic; 01-15-2008 at 03:00 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mickey&missy View Post
    . We also talked about how its so much fun to have fun WITH your kids. Not just watch them or them sit by while you have fun. .
    First of all- the above referenced quote was a terrific post- Thanks for taking the time to do that. You make a ton of sense and it hits home-

I enjoy Disney trips for a few reasons:
    1.) My kids love it-
    2.) I am happy when my kids are happy
    3.) we get to have fun as a family
    4.) i enjoy it as much as they do- i am able to put aside the stress of work and focus on enjoying it.
    5.) It signifies good- and we get too much "bad" on tv and news now a days.
    6.) There are so many resorts its not always the same experience.

Yes i have noticed the change in costs, I have noticed the extensive merchendising and ways to get more $$- But then we have to justify the cost of the togetherness my family feels vs how it would have been i we had gone elsewhere. We go on cruises alot, i spend way more money and for some reason its not as much of a family gathering.

I know alot of people who Hate Disney, but they trully dont know it like i do. Or we do ( i am assuming all people on Intercot love it )
    I also know that i have converted alot of people, helping them plan, giving them pointers, telling them what to expect- I am a pretty good embassador- I actually am helping a work colleague plan at the moment- He didnt know about ADR or magic hours, and would have gone down without reservations. Stuff like that makes it a better experience.
    I usually find the haters to be people with no imagination, or who never went as kids.
    Bryan

DVC since 02, Poly 89-90, Tokyo 98, CB 99, Swan 01, WL 06 ,08, 10, BLT 11, HHI 12, OKW 12-13, BC 03-05, 07-09, 11, 13,16 , 17
    Contemporary 05, 13, GC DLR 15, VeroBeach 16, AoA 16

"There's Blood on the saddle, and Blood all around...."Big Al-

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mackflava99 View Post
    5.) It signifies good- and we get too much "bad" on tv and news now a days.
    I usually find the haters to be people with no imagination, or who never went as kids.
    You were right on with these two points!
    1988,97,98*,99, 2000,01*,02*,04*,05*,07,08*,09,11,12*,13*'14*,15&, 16*,17(*=2x that year &=3x) on site WDW
    Next trip to WDW: Planning October 2017 and beyond! I love my AP!
    1991 DL 1993 DL Paris
    "If we can dream it, we can do it"
    "The harder I work, the luckier I get"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sinewiz View Post
    I confess that the complaint that things are too expensive at Disney riles me a little as well. People want new and improved multi-million dollar exhibits at every turn, the best restaurants with world renowned chefs, firework shows everwhere and every night, luxury resorts with spotless conditions, but yet they will be the first to complain that there's a gift shop when they get off of an exhibit.
    All things considered I'm surprised that a family of four can do a Disney vacation with what Disney has to offer as inexpensively as they they do.
    ITA! There is sooo much there for what you pay. Many trips I feel like I am getting a bargain. It would cost just as much for us to go to a beach somewhere in most cases.

There is also such a thing as a budget and self control. You can curb costs at WDW in a lot of ways and still have a great trip.
    Poly: 00, 03 x 2, 04, 05, 07 x 2, 09 x 2, 10, 11
    CR: 01, 02 x 2, 04, 06 x 2, 10, 11, 12
    GF: 01, 04
    F.W. Cabin: 07
    S/D: 01, 02 x 2, 03, 06, 07, 08, 09
    WL: 16
    POR: 14, 15
    DLR: 08, 13

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: