Quantcast Victoria and Albert's bans children under age 10 - Page 3

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default hmmm..

I would be OK with WDW having one very expensive (V&A) and one at least mid-priced restaurant that is adults only or at the very least a separate adults only section.

I am not bashing children or their parents here, but with all of the children running free in the parks and at the resorts, it would be nice for those of us who are child-free or parents who would like a night out alone together to go and be away from the usual noise levels that are "generally" associated with Disney Family-friendly dining.

D
    It's gonna be the future soon
    I won't always be this way
    When the things that make me weak and strange get engineered away
    -Emil Bleehall - Adventurer of the Year!

Next Stop... MNSSHP Oct. 2011! Oh boy here we go!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KAT1811 View Post
    We like fine dining in an atmosphere that is warm and inviting, not stuffy and stiff (even when it is just DH and myself).
    Just a side note....having eaten at V&A many times, I can say it's a very warm and inviting place. We've never found it to be stuffy and stiff. Staff is very attentive, informative and friendly, and we are always welcomed like we are sincerely wanted there.

Don't mistake professional and sophisticated with stuffy and stiff.

Okay, back on topic.......
    NEXT TRIP - DCL Fantasy Oct. 2016
    Yacht Club - Oct. '14, Dec. '15
    Poly - Dec. '07, '09
    Grand Flo - Too many times to keep track!
    CBR - May '10, Oct. '10, Dec. '11
    POR - Sept & Dec '03
    AoA - Oct. '12, Dec. '13
    Pop - May '11

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not surprised by this or offended by it either. I am actually surprised that this policy wasn't already in place. I figured a restaurant with a dress code wouldn't allow children anyhow... or are the "little men" required to wear jackets, also?

Quote Originally Posted by Natazu View Post
    On a side note. The only time we had a "less than enjoyable" atmosphere at Vicky's was when we were seated next to a table full of loud, giggly, teenage girls having a sweet sixteen dinner. Might as well make it 18 and up... or how about 25, then they can rent a car and drive themselves.
    I've wondered why the cut off is 10. At least a stern look often quietens a 5-8 year old, whereas it no longer works on many teenagers. If it's going to truly be adult-only, why allow 10-17 year olds?

Of course, this being said, I've never eaten at V&A's, and don't ever see myself doing so. Not that I think it's stuffy or anything of the like. There's just so many other things I'd rather do with my money than eat/drink it all up. Not to mention the fact that my husband is a jeans and t-shirt man. But to each his own...
    Susan °o°

You cheated.
    Pirate.

8/98 CBR; 10/00 ASM; 11/01 POR; 7/07 POR; 10/09 ASM; 10/10 Pop; 6/12 ASM; 12/13 ASM; 6/14 FWC; 7/15 FWC; 12/16 2 weeks at FWC!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Donald Duck Fan View Post
    I must say that I like the policy at V&A. I wouldnt mind seeing this policy either take effect at some other restaurants like the Artist Point or California Grill.

Maybe what Disney can do, is modify some of the upscale restaurants like Aritist Point and make a private dining room for adults 18 and older to enjoy a nice quite and romantic evening. This would allow both adults who would like a nice quite dinner to have one, and also allow those parents who fell that they need to bring the children with them to have dinner at the same restaurant.
    I love this idea!!
    Bethie aka BethieTink

DVC Member 2006 - BCV

Upcoming - Oct 09 - 1 night at AKL, 7 night Eastern Carribean Cruise on the Magic, 3 nights at BCV

Last Trip - Jan 09 - MLK Weekend at WLV

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Natazu View Post
    Then again, if you can afford $350 for dinner, you can afford a babysitter.
    Although I can afford both I would never leave my children with a babysitter. Many of our friends have nannies and some even bring them on vacation with them. I am proud to say that I put my career on hold to raise my children myself I would never leave them in a hotel hundreds of miles from home with a complete stranger. Again I don't completely disagree with the age restriction. As a side note I have been to dinner in some fabulous restaurants when the grown ups around me have ruined my meal. All-in-all it is a restaurant, nothing else.

Quote Originally Posted by Tigger&Stitch View Post
    Ehh..how do you know?
    Walt created WDW as a place where families could vacation together not a place where adults could go alone.

"We believed in our idea - a family park where parents and children could have fun- together." -Walt Disney

I'm pretty sure that the man who said this would be horrified to find out that children were being excluded from his dream parks just so adults didn't have to "deal" with them for a day!!!!!
    "All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them." - Walt Disney

"Too many people grow up. That 's the trouble with the world, too many people grow up." - Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SurferStitch View Post
    Just a side note....having eaten at V&A many times, I can say it's a very warm and inviting place. We've never found it to be stuffy and stiff. Staff is very attentive, informative and friendly, and we are always welcomed like we are sincerely wanted there.

Good to know but I guess what I meant to say is a more lively atmostphere, more like the California Grill. Thank you.
    "All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them." - Walt Disney

"Too many people grow up. That 's the trouble with the world, too many people grow up." - Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

Walt created WDW as a place where families could vacation together not a place where adults could go alone.

"We believed in our idea - a family park where parents and children could have fun- together." -Walt Disney

I'm pretty sure that the man who said this would be horrified to find out that children were being excluded from his dream parks just so adults didn't have to "deal" with them for a day!!!!!
    Maybe I am being really touchy, but I would like to think that even though my husband and I don't have or don't ever plan to have children, that we constitute a "family". We consider ourselves one. According to Walt's quote, maybe we should be excluded, since we don't have kids. I apologize if I am reading too much into this, but families do come in other varieties.
    Bethie aka BethieTink

DVC Member 2006 - BCV

Upcoming - Oct 09 - 1 night at AKL, 7 night Eastern Carribean Cruise on the Magic, 3 nights at BCV

Last Trip - Jan 09 - MLK Weekend at WLV

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BethieTink View Post
    Maybe I am being really touchy, but I would like to think that even though my husband and I don't have or don't ever plan to have children, that we constitute a "family". We consider ourselves one. According to Walt's quote, maybe we should be excluded, since we don't have kids. I apologize if I am reading too much into this, but families do come in other varieties.
    I'm not saying that you and your DH do not constitute a family, that would be very single minded. What I am saying is that the exclusion of a portion of a family, in this case children, from a WDW theme park is apalling. IMHO. I do have children and the thought of them not being allowed into the MK or even Epcot for the day so a bunch of "adults" can ride Space Mountain or Soarin' alone saddens me. Families come in all shapes and sizes; Our family is a bit larger than yours and includes children. We go to WDW to be with our children, every minute of every day.

I do not want to get into a debate, I just stated my opinion and was supporting my assumption, with a quote, that Walt would feel the same.

My sincerest aplogies to all for getting off topic.

Howell, MI (Detroit) - 1176 miles from the Wilderness Lodge
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BethieTink View Post
    Whether or not you have (or plan to have) children is irrelevant. The quote says 'a family park where parents and children could have fun together'. The suggestion to ban children from a park, for even a day, seems to go against the very basis underlying the creation of the Magic Kingdom by Walt Disney himself.

In contrast, Walt did not say 'a family park where a family could have fun together'. Then we could debate the definition of a family and all that jazz. But we don't have to as Walt is pretty clear about letting children into the parks.

IMO, adults-only restaurants is perfectly exceptable, but to exclude children from any of the Parks is too much.
    Up Next:
    1/2016 - VGC - Disneyland

1996 - Off Site
    1998 - Off Site
    1999 - FW Cabins
    2000 - ASM
    2000 - FW Cabins
    2001 - ASM
    2002 - Wilderness Lodge & Fairy Tale Wedding
    2004 - ASMu
    2006 - VWL
    2007 - CSR
    2008 - SSR
    2009 - VWL
    2011 - POR & BWV
    2013 - AKL - Kidani
    2015 - Disneyland

Post Thanks / Like

Good to know but I guess what I meant to say is a more lively atmostphere, more like the California Grill. Thank you.
    Got ya!

But.....V&A is much, much finer dining than Cali Grill. Don't get me wrong...we love Cali Grill (even though Narcoossee's is our fave), but it doesn't begin to touch V&A. Totally different leagues.
    NEXT TRIP - DCL Fantasy Oct. 2016
    Yacht Club - Oct. '14, Dec. '15
    Poly - Dec. '07, '09
    Grand Flo - Too many times to keep track!
    CBR - May '10, Oct. '10, Dec. '11
    POR - Sept & Dec '03
    AoA - Oct. '12, Dec. '13
    Pop - May '11

Post Thanks / Like

Although I've never personally been to V & A, I've looked over a sample menu and couldn't fathom bringing little ones there. Like some others have mentioned, what would they eat? I do think it's nice there is an adult only eatery though, especially if you're there for a honeymoon or something and want a nice, romantic atmosphere. As long as this doesn't spill over to the more casual eateries, which I couldn't ever see that happening, I don't think it's a big deal.
    CTennant

~For you see, in the end it is between you and God. It was never between you and them anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SurferStitch View Post

I agree. I ate there with my husband, parents, 2 brothers and their 2 girlfriends and we had so much fun. My family laughs a lot and my dad has a hilarious cuban accent so we would crack up every time he'd read something off the menu or talk to the staff. We were the loudest(relatively speaking) people in there and the staff loved us! They'd whisper jokes back at us and try not to laugh out loud. It was so fun and so delicious!
    "It's called a salute to all nations but MOSTLY America"

Been to WDW so many times, I've lost count

Visited Disneyland Paris in May 2002

Disneyland & Cali Adventure in June 2007

Hope to someday make it to Japan, China, and back to Paris for Disney Studios!

Post Thanks / Like

Apologies for getting off topic again...

Unless you knew Walt personally and could ask him this question, you don't actually know what he would think about any of this. Saying he would be "horrified" is meant to make the original poster feel guilty or ashamed of their comment, and it's not nice.

Walt also said this: "You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway."

What does it mean? Does it apply here? I have no idea. I didn't know him.

I can only assume you and those who feel the way you do either discount the Disney Cruise Line as "not Disney" or do not plan to ever cruise with them as they have adult-only sections and restaurants.
    '90 - High School Trip
    '05 - Animal Kingdom Lodge
    '06 - Wilderness Lodge (Honeymoon!)
    '08 - VWL and BCV

Next Up:
    '09 - Wilderness Lodge Villas

Post Thanks / Like

No big deal at all. Shucks why not have a handful of Adult Only...so many people honeymoon there and there are sooo many retirees in Florida...why not cater to adults too. I know I for one am a bit too poor for V&A and even though my DS is old enough to go...I'd rather find something more whimsical. It's just more MY speed. Alas I don't fault anyone for dreaming about one of those romantic "soap opera" dinners.

As far as an "Adults Only Day" at the park...I can go one better...How about a ME only day. Just ME and my crew and perhaps a handful of strangers to make it interesting. ...We all get to ride Segways between the rides... WHEEEE... Ok...Ok...I'll come down from my little fantasy now
    Have no clue 1983
    Days Inn 1992
    Value Movies 2002
    Value Music 2003
    Value Movies 2004
    DisneyLand 2005
    Value Pop July 2006
    Coronodo Springs 2008

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thrillme View Post
    No big deal at all. Shucks why not have a handful of Adult Only...so many people honeymoon there and there are sooo many retirees in Florida...why not cater to adults too. I know I for one am a bit too poor for V&A and even though my DS is old enough to go...I'd rather find something more whimsical. It's just more MY speed. Alas I don't fault anyone for dreaming about one of those romantic "soap opera" dinners.

As far as an "Adults Only Day" at the park...I can go one better...How about a ME only day. Just ME and my crew and perhaps a handful of strangers to make it interesting. ...We all get to ride Segways between the rides... WHEEEE... Ok...Ok...I'll come down from my little fantasy now
    I think that's an excellent idea! I wonder what the reception would be for each signature restaurant to have one adult only night a week.

Parks will never be child free, nor do I think they should be. Although I like where you are going with your "ME" day.

Howell, MI (Detroit) - 1176 miles from the Wilderness Lodge
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tigger&Stitch View Post

I can only assume you and those who feel the way you do either discount the Disney Cruise Line as "not Disney" or do not plan to ever cruise with them as they have adult-only sections and restaurants.
    I don't think that's a fair assumption to make. The general conscenus appears to be that adults-only restaurants are fine (so long as it remains within reason), but closing a park for the day is a little too much.
    Up Next:
    1/2016 - VGC - Disneyland

1996 - Off Site
    1998 - Off Site
    1999 - FW Cabins
    2000 - ASM
    2000 - FW Cabins
    2001 - ASM
    2002 - Wilderness Lodge & Fairy Tale Wedding
    2004 - ASMu
    2006 - VWL
    2007 - CSR
    2008 - SSR
    2009 - VWL
    2011 - POR & BWV
    2013 - AKL - Kidani
    2015 - Disneyland

Post Thanks / Like

Default Completely Appropriate

This new rule makes sense 100%. The write-up in CNN.com quoted a WDW spokesperson as saying there are 97 other full service restaurants at WDW.

There are some parents who think everything their little D-whatevers do is appropriate and charming.

I love my rambuncious toddler grandson as much as any grandpa could but I'm not going to take him to V&As 'til he's older.

I have a co-worker who says he dated his wife before he married her and doesn't plan to "date" her again until his kids are grown. I don't know wheather to congratulate him or feel sorry for her.

My wife and I dined alone one night at o'Hana. We were seated near the "MC" and he apologized to us for being right in the middle of the coconut races, hula dancing and all other o'Hana activities. I told him, "It's entirely fine...we weren't expecting Victoria and Alberts."

Post Thanks / Like

It's great that this discussion has remained friendly and on topic for three pages now, please let's make sure that we keep it that way. We do understand the need to make one's feelings felt, but please let's keep the tone of our discussion civilized and respectful.
    Ellen
    INTERCOT Staff: Dining, Disney Cruise Line, Guests with Special Needs

Next up:
    Christmas with the Mouse
    President's Week 2013

Post Thanks / Like

To my fellow Intercoters,

I would like to apologize to anyone I might have offended by any of my opinions. I was told, ever so inelequently, that I was malicious and rude in my stating that I feel that Walt would be horrified at the exclusion of children from his parks if even for a day. I would like to again state that these are only my opinions and I am in no way attempting to "speak for a dead man". I love Intercot and the occassional volly of radically different views. Unfortunatly I highly offended someone (not the op) and that was by no means my intent. There was absolutly no malice behind my words and I hope you all know that.

-Kimberly

Post Thanks / Like

Personally, I don't have a problem with the policy.

Money aside, my DH and I choose not to go to V & A's for our anniversary trip because we didn't want to have to dress up that much

Adults let children behave inappropriately all over the place at WDW, not just at restaurants. I admire Disney for saying "we'll give a place where adults can go and enjoy a meal without a misbehaving child sitting next to them."

By the way, I don't blame the children for this - I blame the adults who are with them!
    Have a Magical Day!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: