Quantcast Victoria & Albert's Institutes Guests 10 and Up Only Policy

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Victoria & Albert's Institutes Guests 10 and Up Only Policy

No Young Children at Victoria & Albert's

by Scott Powers
    Orlando Sentinel's Tourism Central Florida
    January 4, 2008

In a move to create at least one intimate, adult dining establishment on its property, Walt Disney World has banned young children from its swankiest restaurant, Victoria & Albert's at the Grand Floridian Spa and Resort.

Effective Jan. 1, children under the age of 10 are not permitted in the AAA five-diamond restaurant known for its Iranian caviar and Muscovy duck .

Not counting the adult-only policies at nightclubs at Downtown Disney's Pleasure Island, the move is the first time Disney World has set restrictions against young children for a dining or entertainment establishment.

Disney spokeswoman Kim Prunty said the move is being made because of guests' requests. Victoria & Albert's has long been cool toward young children, offering a fixed-price menu and no children's dishes.

"We find that our guests are really looking for an intimate experience and an adult-oriented atmosphere, and we want to make sure we meet those expectations," Prunty said.
    Figment! aka Jason ºoº
    INTERCOT STAFF
    News, Rumours & Imagineering
    Dining
    Vacations Beyond Disney

~It’s what us storytellers do; we restore order with imagination, we instill hope again and again~

~We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things~

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I didn't know they allowed kids at all, I mean you kind of figure it from the menu and prices. I saw a video on You Tube of this family taking their three kids to the Chef's Table at V&A, I couldn't even imagine! But the kids ate the food. I am hopeful this is the only place in WDW that would do this, Disney is first and foremost a place for families.

Post Thanks / Like

I can't imagine that many people even try to bring kids to V & A to necessitate a formal ban, but it doesn't bother me that they would do it. I think it's nice to have a few places on property for adults without kids.

My parents would have brought me when I was a kid. They brought me everywhere and I was a well-behaved, adventurous eater. They would have hated the idea of keeping kids out. Now that I'm a parent, I feel differently on the topic. There are some places that I don't bring kids out of respect for other eaters, or cost in the case of V & A. V & A is just not kid-friendly, even for sophisticated kids who might appreciate it.

At Disney, I really don't expect to not find kids-- but I normally do appreciate going out for the occasional adult evening without my kids and not being sat right next to the table of people who decided to bring theirs.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

I would have thought this was the case here long ago. I would have been very irritated eating (and paying) there while someone else's kid ran around my table. I also agree this should probably be the only restaurant on property that has this rule. But...imagine a quiet, serene Coral Reef dinner. Wouldn't that be nice too?
    1995 - Grand Floridian (Honeymoon)
    1997 - Fort Wilderness Cabins
    1998 - All-Star Music
    2005 - All-Star Music & Movies
    2006 - All-Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SBETigg View Post

My parents would have brought me when I was a kid. They brought me everywhere and I was a well-behaved, adventurous eater. They would have hated the idea of keeping kids out. Now that I'm a parent, I feel differently on the topic. There are some places that I don't bring kids out of respect for other eaters, or cost in the case of V & A. V & A is just not kid-friendly, even for sophisticated kids who might appreciate it.

ITA Sherri, this is my case. I know what my kids are and aren't capable of at certain ages, so I just go with that. My sister and I got "the Look" from my parents if we even thought of stepping out of line. I also haven't brought the 3 yo, just my 6 and 8 yo on trips, b/c I knew what that entailed if we were going somewhere she'd start getting a little antsy.

As far as the theme parks, kids are allowed everywhere. Some of those parents might be like me, without a babysitter and this might be the only meal they are getting to eat out for awhile.

Post Thanks / Like

I thought that this was already the case...I didn't know that kids were allowed at V&A's.

I hope that this is the only place they "ban" children...Disney is a family place after all. But, I agree 100% that V&A's isn't a place for kids, and I guess having the policy reduces any chance of friction and frustration with guests.
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

I have to be honest ... we eat at a lot of the higher end restaurants in Disney (although never V&A's) and I've really never had any people's kids bother me. Maybe I've been too busy watching my own, I don't know.

Anyway, I'm fine with it. There should be a place or two on property where adults can go for some peace.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know of ANY child 10 and younger who would understand and appreciate V&A fully. Is the "ban" a proper thing to do? Well, I don't know about that but I don't exactly have a problem with it.

I can't imagine parents complaining about not being able to take their children to a very formal eatery and forking out extra money for a child who probably won't like what they are eating anyway. V&A has a certain 'quality' about it that makes it so special.

I know that if I were a diner at V&A, I wouldn't want little rugrats interrupting my dinner.
    -Stacey

"There is a natural hootchy-kootchy motion to a goldfish.”

"To all who come to this happy place, welcome." -Walter Elias Disney

Post Thanks / Like

I know that if I were a diner at V&A, I wouldn't want little rugrats interrupting my dinner.[/QUOTE]

In all fairness, we were ALL little at one time or another!!!

Sorry, I just HAD to say it!!!

Post Thanks / Like

More power to 'em!

Maybe this is a move to gradually ban children from WDW altogether (just kidding.)
    "I wanted something alive, something that could grow. Something I can keep plussing with ideas. You see? The park is that. Not only can I add things but even the trees will keep growing. The thing will get more beautiful every year."

Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Peterpan,

I noticed you are in Gainesville! We are in Plano. We will be in your neck of the woods tom (Sanger). Take care

Post Thanks / Like

I actually had never considered taking my kids to V&A but mostly because I had never thought about going myself. Other people's kids generally don't bother me and my kids go nearly everywhere with me. I think there are some kids who could appreciate the experience. My oldest DD loves food and would have been able to fully enjoy V&A by the age of 8 or 9 and would have been very well-behaved. The youngest, at 8 now, still would not appreciate it or be well-behaved (at least for that long) and I would never consider taking her until she's much older and has settled down (or we have enough sedatives for all the other diners and V&A staff). It all depends on the kid. Regardless, I don't have a problem with an adult-only policy.
    Kathy ºoº

LET'S GO BUCS!

Next trip - June '14

Past trips:
    6/13, 4/13, 7/12, 7/11, 1/11, 8/10, 7/09, 3/09, 8/08, 8/07, 12/06, 9/05, 7/03, 7/98, 5/96, 8/93, '70's X 2

Post Thanks / Like

In a trade-off to appease the furious 10 and under crowd, nobody over the age of 10 will be allowed on Small World.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dixie Springs View Post
    In a trade-off to appease the furious 10 and under crowd, nobody over the age of 10 will be allowed on Small World.

Haha that's too easy
    I know a couple of guys I used to date that still aren't old enough to eat at V&A!

Post Thanks / Like

Believe it or not, this is now (evening, 1/5/08) one of the headline stories for the online version of the Chicago Tribune. They must be really hurting for news.
    1995 - Grand Floridian (Honeymoon)
    1997 - Fort Wilderness Cabins
    1998 - All-Star Music
    2005 - All-Star Music & Movies
    2006 - All-Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by murphy1 View Post
    Haha that's too easy
    I know a couple of guys I used to date that still aren't old enough to eat at V&A!
    Sherri

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dixie Springs View Post
    Funny

I would never have ever even thought to bring my kids. We can barley make it through McDonalds sometimes!

The AP article has a quote from a woman (Rosemary Rose) who is a VP or something of dining who basically stated that only about three families a month ever brought kids into V&As. What? Then why bother making a policy that get such attention? Wouldn't it be easier to seclude annoying, bratty little kids? Hmmmpf. I can just picture the marketing department scrambling.
    Last Trip: April 2015 CBR
    Next Trip: Sept 2015 Boardwalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by teambricker04 View Post
    Funny
    The AP article has a quote from a woman (Rosemary Rose) who is a VP or something of dining who basically stated that only about three families a month ever brought kids into V&As. What? Then why bother making a policy that get such attention? Wouldn't it be easier to seclude annoying, bratty little kids? Hmmmpf. I can just picture the marketing department scrambling.

On the contrary, it's probably a very smart marketing move to entice more of the travelers without kids. WDW is already well-established in the family travel market and in the honeymoon travel market, but why not get the word out to more adult travelers to say "hey, we're not all about the family market- there's more to see here!"

Especially with the baby boomer market coming to retirement age. They might bring their kids and grandkids and want a night alone, or they might decide on a trip without kids, and this would encourage them to think of Disney World as a vacation destination. At the same time, families know there are plenty of places for them at WDW and they aren't really alienating anyone. It's a win-win.
    Sherri

Post Thanks / Like

although I totally agree that many people do keep their kids well behaved, I have also seen MANY parents at Disney who let their children do whatever they want, regardless of where they were. We were at the french restaurant and there was a woman in there with three kids...two of them boys probably around the 6 or 7 year old range and they were playing tag. running up and down between the rows of tables. the woman just sat there and ate. Another time we were at Artists Point and there was a family with a young girl who was SCREAMING because she wanted something to eat that wasnt on the menu.
    Everybodys got a laughin place!

Post Thanks / Like

This sounds like a very good move for this particular restaurant though it wouldn't be appropriate for others. This is a a very high end restaurant and caters to a clientelle that wants the ultimate in elegant dining.

Disney is likely doing a marketing move to say to that level guest (remember it serves $100/half ounce caviar) will be more willing to book if they can be assured that the elegance they are paying for will not be disturbed.

Too expensive for me but I can sure see how this would be a very special dinner that adults would want to go just right.
    26 years staying at the Polynesian
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday...
    Twenty six straight years staying at the Polynesian
    Next trip: October 2018

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: