Quantcast You're not going to believe this...

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default You're not going to believe this...

Let me start by saying I don't think I've ever posted anything negative on these boards. In fact, I try to not even read negative posts. Call me naive, but I just like to keep a squeeky clean image on Disney World in my brain.

That being said, two things about my visit to Animal Kingdom this morning were very discouraging.

First, we rode Everest and it was my first time. I was highly anticipating this ride. When we got to the part where the Yeti is projected on the wall inside the mountain, it was also projecting a menu (like you would find on your computer, with options, tools, etc.) the menu box was just as big as the Yeti and practically ruined the whole experience.

But here is the thing that might really surprise you. We were taking our seats for Festival of the Lion King and a cast member (woman in her 40s) was telling people to move to the center. With a frustrated look on her face she said "those people aren't moving and i want to slap them accross their face." We were 2 rows behind the cast member, so it's not like it was under her breath. She said this so people could hear. I have never, ever heard of a cast member behaving like that!

Anyway, that's all. Had to get it off my chest! This was my first trip in 3 years. What in the world is going on at Disney!?

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    CaptainJessicaSparrow Guest

One word: Christmas.

I understand that it's supposed to be a happy season and it is. But it's also one of the busiest seasons at WDW. And it's getting stressful for all the CM's across property, myself included. I'm ready for it to be over. And if I never ear another Christmas carol in my life, I am perfectly content with that.

Sorry for the sidetrack, but to get back - I'm saying she was right and it shouldn't have been said onstage (I support the need for CM's to vent in the appropriate areas - offstage and out of Guest's view/hearing/lip reading).

Just pointing out that it's an all over issue with the season. We're all stressed out, overworked, and underpaid here. And yet, I still love it.

Post Thanks / Like

The incident with CM is dissapointing but understandable. CMs are human too. But the Yeti projection incident is completely unacceptable in my opinion.Did you report it to anyone?
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

That CM should have been fired on the spot. There's absolutely no excuse. I 100% understand the reasons, but they are no excuse to be talking to (or around) guests like that.

It comes as no surprise to me. Again, this supports my view that CMs these days are a shell of whet they used to be. The standards have dropped to the level where a SSN and a pulse are enough to get you a job. Yes, there are still a few good ones, but more and more these low quality CMs are taking over, pushing the good ones out the door.

I'm more likely to give them the benefit of the doubt on the Yeti projection than the CMs though. It's gonna happen. Had you mentioned it to the CMs on the way out, I would bet that if they had known about it, and it was fixed, you would have been allowed to re-ride without the wait or given a Fast Pass to come back.

Post Thanks / Like

WHAT?!.....

No excuses - her actions were intolerable. She should be fired. Period.

I don't care if that happened at Disney World, McDonalds, a nice restaurant, a shoe store, or a dentist's office ---- NO ONE should say that. Period.

Christmas or not....unexcusable. Christmas or not....she should be terminated.
    WDW is my happy place

Post Thanks / Like

While the CM's actions are unfortunate Guests this past week where downright rude and abusive. I know as a fellow guest I witnessed actions by others that turned my stomach. People cussing and screaming loudly in the middle of the parks, smoking in non smoking areas, ignoring cast members giving directions for parades, yelling at cast members for things they could not control, and worse (my vent here) people in ECV's and with huge battering ram strollers running people over and crashing into them without so much as a look back or a sorry.
    It was so bad Friday night that I actualy had to leave the Osbourn Dancing LIghts because people where pushing and shoving and both my husband and I at one point where hit by a stroller or EVC (and not a light tap I have the bruise to prove it).
    The Cast Member was probably fed up I know I was by the end of the week. If she had said it to a particular guest or directed it at someone I would say it required Corractive Action but seeing as how it wasn't at one person in particular I say she was fed up and most likely had every right. She is human, no one likes to be ignored and most people I saw this week where treating CM's rotten.
    DEC 2005 Pop Century
    Oct 2006 Old Key West
    Dec 2007 All Star Sports
    Sept 2008 Pop Century

February 2012 off property!

Post Thanks / Like

This just makes me sad. Maybe I'm naive but I still believe that WDW is the "happiest place on earth" and I'm bringing my kids there for a magical experience. Everyone wants the best view, everyone wants to get through lines quickly and get a good spot at the show but it makes me so upset that some people ruin the experience for others.

Is it too much to ask of people to keep their behavior and attitudes friendly and conscientious in situations where there are crowds? I know that pushing a stroller through a crowd is difficult, it's hard to gauge distances and people often stop suddenly and you accidentally hit them. I think most people would overlook it if you offered a sincere apology and a smile.

As far as the cast member, I understand the stress of big crowds but, working at WDW, what was this woman expecting? Was she going over to the people who weren't moving and letting them know specifically (rather than a general shout) that they needed to move? I hate the thought of someone losing their livelihood but crowds are a part of being a CM and she either needs more training or to be assigned to something else.

Wow, that's rambly.

in a lavender cottage - I mixed this color to create this wild color
    Post Thanks / Like

"Cast members are not what they use to be "
    I found several nasties on my last trip-
    I had to report them , and Disney didnt respond. That makes it even worse.
    A bus driver was so mean to a few older women- and a few teens. Real rude and abusive! A waitress at Port Orleans was rude and spoke under her breathe at us-
    It was for an interesting trip. I do not feel it is right to treat others with a quick mouth and a cruel look. I give people the benefit of the doubt( bad days happen) .. but they staff at Disney isnt at all what I exspect from a magical place like this. Suffering on the cast members and they need a sprinkle of fairy dust and a swift kick of an - attitude ajustment.
    I always treat my custmers with respect- even when Im tired and had it-
    sorry about your experiences- I too can relate

Post Thanks / Like

I love Disney World very much, but I have had some really bad CM experiences too. From them being flat out rude and saying things like that and one time I had 2 CM look right at me and when I ask my question they spouted off something rude that I could not understand and then just stood there ignoring me and my husband.

I had to rant too.

All we wanted to know if there were any reservation cancellations for the castle lunch. I have gotten in like that before and it was just a simple question.

Who knows, sometimes they need to take a day off instead of yelling at guests.
    1986 Off Site
    1994 Off Site
    2001 Off Site
    2004 Off Site
    2008 Pop Century
    2011 Off Site MNSSHP

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning McQueen View Post
    Let me start by saying I don't think I've ever posted anything negative on these boards. In fact, I try to not even read negative posts. Call me naive, but I just like to keep a squeeky clean image on Disney World in my brain.

That being said, two things about my visit to Animal Kingdom this morning were very discouraging.

First, we rode Everest and it was my first time. I was highly anticipating this ride. When we got to the part where the Yeti is projected on the wall inside the mountain, it was also projecting a menu (like you would find on your computer, with options, tools, etc.) the menu box was just as big as the Yeti and practically ruined the whole experience.

But here is the thing that might really surprise you. We were taking our seats for Festival of the Lion King and a cast member (woman in her 40s) was telling people to move to the center. With a frustrated look on her face she said "those people aren't moving and i want to slap them accross their face." We were 2 rows behind the cast member, so it's not like it was under her breath. She said this so people could hear. I have never, ever heard of a cast member behaving like that!

Anyway, that's all. Had to get it off my chest! This was my first trip in 3 years. What in the world is going on at Disney!?
    I understand how you feel when you say that you like to avoid the negativity on the boards. I am the same way.
    I wish you had gotten the person's name that made the remark about slapping people and spoke to a supervisor. This is not what Disney is about. There is no excuse, Christmas or just plain rude guests should not give her permission to make a statement like this.

Quote Originally Posted by kbarletta View Post
    (my vent here) people in ECV's and with huge battering ram strollers running people over and crashing into them without so much as a look back or a sorry.
    It was so bad Friday night that I actualy had to leave the Osbourn Dancing LIghts because people where pushing and shoving and both my husband and I at one point where hit by a stroller or EVC (and not a light tap I have the bruise to prove it).
    Please do not be too judgemental when talking about people in EVCs. I have had to ride in one my last 4 visits. I am only 44 and have heard some of the ugliest remarks you could ever imagine from people who think I am trying to beat the system. I am not a healthy person and hearing these things can be very hurtful.

It is a no win situation for us. If we go and bump into someone we are yelled at. No one looks down when they are walking so no one sees us. IF we stop short to avoid hitting someone the person behind us runs into us and yells at us for being an idiot and stopping in front of them.

I think everyone should have to ride in a wheelchair or EVC for 1 day just to see how miserable it is. I am lucky if I move 1 foot every 2 minutes during the busy time. NO ONE stops to help us get through.

Please be a little more understanding. I would take your bruises any day to be able to walk a week in Disney World. Forget the small stuff and thank the Lord for what you have.
    ~Angel~
    Proud DVC owners!
    SSR January 2007
    Bay Lake November 2008

Post Thanks / Like

... Guests this past week where downright rude and abusive. I know as a fellow guest I witnessed actions by others that turned my stomach. People cussing and screaming loudly in the middle of the parks, smoking in non smoking areas, ignoring cast members giving directions for parades, yelling at cast members for things they could not control, and worse (my vent here) people in ECV's and with huge battering ram strollers running people over and crashing into them without so much as a look back or a sorry.
    I see this EVERY time I'm at WDW, sounds there's no difference in the time you go, middle of the summer, XMas time, or any other week. Still no excuse, that CM is hopefully looking in the Sunday paper for a new job.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainJessicaSparrow View Post
    One word: Christmas.

I understand that it's supposed to be a happy season and it is. But it's also one of the busiest seasons at WDW. And it's getting stressful for all the CM's across property, myself included. I'm ready for it to be over. And if I never ear another Christmas carol in my life, I am perfectly content with that.

Sorry for the sidetrack, but to get back - I'm saying she was right and it shouldn't have been said onstage (I support the need for CM's to vent in the appropriate areas - offstage and out of Guest's view/hearing/lip reading).

Just pointing out that it's an all over issue with the season. We're all stressed out, overworked, and underpaid here. And yet, I still love it.
    Hi Jessica,
    I was wondering how long it would take to break me if I were in your shoes!?!
    I would think that people would see that dealing with the public, because we are idiots-especially on vacation, is not easy. Because we are never wrong nad our opinion counts more than yours.
    So thank you for putting on a smile and careing when things aren't going perfectly.
    2008 @ VWL Turkey Day 8 day Adventure
    2008 Oct. @ BCV can we not get rained out of MNSSHP?????
    2008 Easter @ BCV & AKV 8 Days of Joy!
    2007 Nov. DVC going home to VWL & MVMCP gotta do it twice!
    2007 Sept. DVC going home to BCV & 1st MNSSHP boo!
    2006 DEC. POLY MKV. Concierge & MVMCP

Post Thanks / Like

While the CM's actions are unfortunate Guests this past week where downright rude and abusive. I know as a fellow guest I witnessed actions by others that turned my stomach. People cussing and screaming loudly in the middle of the parks, smoking in non smoking areas, ignoring cast members giving directions for parades, yelling at cast members for things they could not control, and worse (my vent here) people in ECV's and with huge battering ram strollers running people over and crashing into them without so much as a look back or a sorry.
    The Cast Member was probably fed up I know I was by the end of the week. If she had said it to a particular guest or directed it at someone I would say it required Corractive Action but seeing as how it wasn't at one person in particular I say she was fed up and most likely had every right. She is human, no one likes to be ignored and most people I saw this week where treating CM's rotten.
    I totally agree with you. I'm sure she was at her wits end. I was there in October, and I encountered plenty of people I would have liked to slap across the face! The amount of people who bump into you, push/shove you, and smack into you with their strollers without saying sorry is amazing! This is why I could never work there. I would have a nervous breakdown! While Disney parks are my favorite vacation spot, they are where human nature is at it's worst!
    Trips to WDW:
    March 2007 Disney's All Star Movies
    Sept/Oct. 2007 Disney's Port Orlean's Riverside
    Dec. 2008 Pop Century
    April/May 2010 Polynesian

**Countless trips to the Disneyland Resort**

Post Thanks / Like

Bottom line....her actions were wrong. No matter how stressed she was.
    WDW is my happy place

Post Thanks / Like

I'm torn on this subject only because I really do see it from both angles. PEOPLE in general are more rude than they have ever been. I can't even imagine what things guests have said to CM because they feel entitled to things because they're on vacation. I also do know that when you spend the kind of money you spend to go to Disney it's a bummer when someone "ruins the magic" for you. To me everyone is human, and DH and I just try to be polite to people and treat people the way we would like to be treated and hope we get the same in return. Sometimes we do and sometimes we don't. There are rude people everywhere, guests and CM.

I'm sorry you had a rough day at the AK, hope the rest of the trip looks up!
    Sarah

Next Trips:
    09/08 - CBR
    12/08 - BC

The Kids: Nala, Scooter, Pinto, Minnie, Daisy, Dory, and George

Post Thanks / Like

I agree the CM was rude but fire her?...no. We all get stessed sometimes. How about when we yell at our own family members when we get angry? They still keep us (mostly cause they have too) but my point is we all have bad days and I feel for the CM's as I have seen by far worse behavior from guests that I would think about slapping too!!!
    Deb
    2012 Jan ALSM
    2011 July POFQ
    2010 July POR
    2009-Oct 3 days POFQ
    2009-June POFQ
    2008-Aug OKW
    2007-June WL
    2007-Jan POFQ
    2006-July Polynesian
    2005-June OKW
    2004-July BCV
    2004-Jan off site
    2003-July FWC
    2003-Dec/Jan CS
    2002-June OKW
    2000-July POFQ
    1999-July OKW
    1998-July OKW
    Have a Disney Day!!!

CaptainJessicaSparrow Guest

And holy moley...I did not realize the HUGE typo I made in my initial response.

I had meant to put that "I'm not saying she was right."

Can I be forgiven since it was 1 am and I had just gotten off of work?

I'll certainly say there are a lot of rough nights - I've had people yelling at me because we are out of stock on limited items (such as MVMCP shirts), cussing at me because I won't let them in the doors after the party starts, throw stuff at me (shirts, plush, costumes, food), snatch things from my hands, downright ignore me, pull stuff in my arms when I'm already holding more than Cinderella's stepsister's laundry, I've had kids kick me, step on my feet, punch my legs, slap my butt (not to mention their parents are LETTING them).

......wait, why do I still work there again? Oh, right. Things like meeting Kyle, Eva, and Hayden. Being the Fairy Godmother in Training, helping the couple who were just engaged in front of the castle get matching ears and comping them, finding the perfect costume for the little girls, watching Wishes every night, meeting people from all over the world, telling guests all about the little hidden gems of Disney, the trivia questions (of which, I like to think I am pretty good), seeing all the amazing costumes for Halloween, seeing Jack Sparrow every night during Halloween, and simply....magic.

Post Thanks / Like

I think this is a big part of why I just took a break from the world ( I grew up and lived there most of my adult life, too). Sometimes I keep thinking of how the place used to be and how maybe it's grown too big, I miss the old days. Snow white walked up behind me and my sister when we were kids and grabbed our hands and started walking with us, you just don't see this anymore. The CM was wrong to say that, I mean you may feel it, but don't be that way out loud, you don't make a lot of money, lady, I think you do it for the joy of Disney. You really don't see a ton of Florida residents wanting to work for the Mouse really, I admire those CM's even more b/c they know what's coming. I have been on both sides of the stroller issue, there are people who are rude on both sides, I always apologize if I bump someone.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine1010 View Post
    Bottom line....her actions were wrong. No matter how stressed she was.
    If you had to deal with horrible guests 24/7 you might have a different opinion....
    Trips to WDW:
    Dec. 2008 Pop Century

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by castlelady36 View Post
    I agree the CM was rude but fire her?...no. We all get stessed sometimes. How about when we yell at our own family members when we get angry? They still keep us (mostly cause they have too) but my point is we all have bad days and I feel for the CM's as I have seen by far worse behavior from guests that I would think about slapping too!!!
    Exactly. It's so easy for people to say "Oh, she should be fired" but we all have days where we'd like to strangle people we work with, customers, etc. It happens to all of us, and would we be saying to ourselves that we deserve to be fired? I think not!

Besides, it's not like she was saying it to any one person.
    Trips to WDW:
    Dec. 2008 Pop Century

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: