Quantcast Why DVC does or doesn't make sense for me - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

I know for us, right now a DVC does not make much sense. As we always stay at a value resort and spend most of our time outside of the resort at the parks or DTD.

I feel that the DVC is a good deal. I will probably buy it in about 10 years depending on finaces at the time?
    Off site Jan '92
    AS Music April '97, Dec '98
    AS Movies Oct 2000, Jan 03, Jan 05, Jan 06
    Pop Aug 06, Pop Jan 07
    Pop Aug 07, Pop Aug 08
    Pop Aug 09, Pop Aug 10
    Pop Aug 11, Pop Aug '12, AoA Aug '13
    Pop Dec '13 Aug '14, Jan '15, Aug '15

Next Trip: Pop Aug '16

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bjlaac View Post
    What does the Timeshare offer above Carribean Beach, Port Orleans or Coronado Springs that make it a deluxe in many of your minds? Transportation to the Parks, Restaurants? Maid Service? Pools? Food Court?
    The 1-BR units I typically stay in at the four DVC resorts I own have:
    • Room Service
    • Free Valet Parking
    • More Room (710-814 sq ft versus 314 sq ft at a moderate)
    • Jacuzzi tub
    • 1 King-size bed a Queen sleeper sofa
    • a full kitchen (with all the basic cooking utensils, pots, pans and dishes supplied)
    • a living room
    • washer and dryer in room
    • great onsite restaurants (Artist Point, Jiko & Boma, Yachtsman Steakhouse, Flying Fish Cafe, Spoodles)
    • Balconies (typically 2)
    • Indoor, A/C hallways
    • Elaborately themed pools with awesome themed slides
    • Boat service to parks
    • Character Dining
    • Fitness Center
    There is a huge difference between DVC and the Moderate resorts!
    DVC Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comicguy View Post
    I know for us, right now a DVC does not make much sense. As we always stay at a value resort and spend most of our time outside of the resort at the parks or DTD.

I feel that the DVC is a good deal. I will probably buy it in about 10 years depending on finaces at the time?
    I agree with you, comicguy. DVC won't make much financial sense to someone who always stays at a value resort or never spends any time at their resort.
    DVC Mike

Post Thanks / Like

I like the word "product" when you're talking about whether or not DVC makes sense. That's exactly what you're buying. If you buy another high-priced "product," like a car, everyone knows it depreciates and no one is likely to say, wow, that's a terrible investment. Because it isn't one. It's a car.

DVC makes sense to us because we already were buying the same "product," a two-bedroom villa for our extended family to vacation together, regularly, for a lot more money. So because we had the chance to buy the exact same product at a more reasonable cost, that made sense.

P.S. Stayed on one of the new sofa beds at SSR in December and it was like sleeping on a foam-covered board with a ridge right in my shoulder blade. Very uncomfortable, IMHO.
    Last edited by Aurora; 01-02-2008 at 10:53 PM. Reason: addition

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DVC Mike View Post
    The 1-BR units I typically stay in at the four DVC resorts I own have:
    • Room Service
    • Free Valet Parking
    • More Room (710-814 sq ft versus 314 sq ft at a moderate)
    • Jacuzzi tub
    • 1 King-size bed a Queen sleeper sofa
    • a full kitchen (with all the basic cooking utensils, pots, pans and dishes supplied)
    • a living room
    • washer and dryer in room
    • great onsite restaurants (Artist Point, Jiko & Boma, Yachtsman Steakhouse, Flying Fish Cafe, Spoodles)
    • Balconies (typically 2)
    • Indoor, A/C hallways
    • Elaborately themed pools with awesome themed slides
    • Boat service to parks
    • Character Dining
    • Fitness Center
    There is a huge difference between DVC and the Moderate resorts!
    I agree with everything you said. And, I want to add this...
    Depending on how you are able to do thing financialy, this almost becomes a mind game. We were lucky enough to pay for our 210 points at SSR in cash. So, we only have to consider the yearly dues with our membership. If we book right, we get 3-4 stays per year with our points, depending on season and length of stay.
    There is no way we could stay at a moderate resort for $745 (what we paid in dues this year) for more than 1 week per year. So, for us, we get Deluxe accomodations with much more room and we feel like we are getting something for nothing.
    So, like I said, it is a mind game.... "do you want to go to Disney World next month? The room is free!"

Quote Originally Posted by Aurora View Post
    P.S. Stayed on one of the new sofa beds at SSR in December and it was like sleeping on a foam-covered board with a ridge right in my shoulder blade. Very uncomfortable, IMHO.
    My DD and her friend stayed on the sofa sleeper and said it was horrible. We are going to start bringing an air mattress with us instead. That way we can lean it up against the wall during the day and not have to open and dlose the sofa.
    I wish all studios would have the 2 queen beds. The reason we are staying at OKW for the second time is because we can get the 2 beds.

And here is one more option to those thinking about just money...
    I rented points to a friend of mine so she could come with us in February. I only charged her the cost of our yearly dues for the 1 week she is staying. That came out to just over $10 per point. She could not have stayed at a value for what I rented her the points for and my dues were paid for the year. So, the rest of the year truely is free for us!! This was a win - win situation for both of us.
    ~Angel~
    Proud DVC owners!
    SSR January 2007
    Bay Lake November 2008

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Basically, we should just sticky DVC Mike's original post in this forum and close everything off to further discussion. He laid out, as clearly as you can, when DVC makes sense for you.

It's obviously not for everyone, for the reasons Mike specified. It's a personal decision, a primarily emotional one in some ways, that everyone has to make on their own.

One thing I will say, though, is that I think some people dismiss it out of hand without ever really stopping to listen to what's being said or to really think about the benefits DVC provides.

I can say that with a degree of confidence, because I used to be one of those people. I figured if Disney is pushing DVC on me so hard, it must be heavily slanted in their favor. But when I finally stopped and sat down and really listened to my Sales Guide I realized I was being foolish and really passing up a lot of benefits.

One other thing not mentioned here ... $100 off AP's ... if you have a family of four, that's $400 right in your pocket each and every year.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    One other thing not mentioned here ... $100 off AP's ... if you have a family of four, that's $400 right in your pocket each and every year.
    Ian, that benefit has only been around a couple of years and like all others could be changed at any time. I do agree that it is a great benefit while we have it!
    Mikki
    INTERCOT staff - DVC, Characters, Collectibles and Games

2017 Feb WDW Festival of Art and hopefully winter sunshine
    2017 Aug Disneyland bound

Post Thanks / Like

I am enjoying these posts. Both the pro's and con's. One question though...what are all of the abbreviations? Is there a cheat sheet somewhere that I can look up what all this means? (I am polish and I do things a little slow)!!!!!! LOL

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by adoptionislove View Post
    Is there a cheat sheet somewhere that I can look up what all this means? (I am polish and I do things a little slow)!!!!!! LOL
    Ask and ye shall receive!

Abbreviations
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

We are taking our first trip to Disney in March and I am strongly considering DVC. We are staying offsite this trip because we can't seems to make staying on property affordable to us. By staying offsite we are saving almost $1000. We have a family of 5 and would like to purchase points for a 2 bedroom villa. I guess no matter how many times I look at the points chart it just don't make sense to me. The chart I have seen shows 350 for example. Does that mean that resort takes 350 points to stay there?
    How do I figure out how many points it will take to stay at the resort we want? I have heard not to purchase more than we need to stay at the resort we choose.

My last question is if I bought 120 points and they are $13 a point does that mean we pay 1,560 every year for our points or do we pay 1,560 once and then just our dues every year.

I have read and read and I just can't understand things.
    Missouri Nurse
    Me (Kim), DH (Kenny), DS (Charlie)
    DD (Kimbra) DD Kaitlyn

March 2008 offsite-First trip Me and Kids
    March 2009 POR First Family Vacation

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on booking your first DVC trip!

In terms of the cost of points, the current price is $104 per point at Animal Kingdom Villas or Saratoga Springs.

The minimum initial purchase from DVC is 160 points.
    Ed aka Horizon93

"If we can dream it, then we can do it".

DVC owner as of July 07 at AKV, as of Oct 2010 at BWV

Just back from honeymoon at AKV Kidani, July 2013!

Next up...not sure yet, but going back soon! )

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Kim View Post
    We are taking our first trip to Disney in March and I am strongly considering DVC. We are staying offsite this trip because we can't seems to make staying on property affordable to us. By staying offsite we are saving almost $1000. We have a family of 5 and would like to purchase points for a 2 bedroom villa. I guess no matter how many times I look at the points chart it just don't make sense to me. The chart I have seen shows 350 for example. Does that mean that resort takes 350 points to stay there?
    How do I figure out how many points it will take to stay at the resort we want? I have heard not to purchase more than we need to stay at the resort we choose.

My last question is if I bought 120 points and they are $13 a point does that mean we pay 1,560 every year for our points or do we pay 1,560 once and then just our dues every year.

Have a look at info central for general information on how DVC works - or ask a general question in the forum. A lot of folks won't look here because it is just about pros and cons.

There are two costs with DVC - the initial points cost and the annual maintenance charge which is also per point and does change. Ball park figure $100 per point to buy and currently around $5 per year maintenance.

To use the points is more complicated because there are nightly and seasonal charges. If you go low season and Sunday - Thursday it will need far fewer points than high season weekends.

You may also want to look at Animal Kingdom Lodge villas as they actually have a one bedroom designed to sleep 5 people which would obviously be far fewer points for you than a two bedroom anywhere.

If you want to get a better feel for how many points you need just post a new topic in the DVC forum saying what time of year you like to go, where you want to stay and for how long. Folks will be happy to give you sample points usage based on that.
    Mikki

Post Thanks / Like

We are staying offsite this trip because we can't seems to make staying on property affordable to us. By staying offsite we are saving almost $1000.
    Cost wise, it will always cost less to stay offsite than onsite -- including DVC. If you're happy staying offsite, then don't consider DVC. For me, staying onsite is part of the magic of vacationing at WDW.

We have a family of 5 and would like to purchase points for a 2 bedroom villa. I guess no matter how many times I look at the points chart it just don't make sense to me.

How do I figure out how many points it will take to stay at the resort we want?

links removed as per terms of service
    Last edited by dlpmikki; 01-10-2008 at 10:45 AM. Reason: links removed by moderator
    DVC Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Default Dvc

Just to weigh in -- I was very thankful for the old thread and all the back and forth, even though it wasn't that productive - because it helped me to hear everyone's perspective (good or bad).

We decided YES to DVC. We also have the Disney Visa Card, which we have moved most of our bills to - and we earn Disney Dollars that we can pay our DVC yearly fees with. That takes the $700/yr fees out of the equation for us.

AND - we sometimes have to be forced to take vacations, so now, we are sure we'll take one yearly (2 this year!)
    Mother of 2
    DVC Member since 09/07
    ASM 09/07
    VB 01/08
    AKV Concierge 09/08
    AKV Studio Savannah View 12/08
    DCL - Wonder 10/09
    AKV Jambo House, Concierge 01/10

Future Trips:
    BWV 09/10
    Hawaii DVC in 2011! Woo Hoo!

lockedoutlogic Guest

Quote Originally Posted by magicofdisney View Post
    In the original thread that was closed, I posted that this last year my family stayed at Disney over 35 nights. Including tickets, we were able to do this for around $5300. Yes, we stayed at the value resorts in order to do this (and we're FL residents). My entire point is that I WANT to stay at Disney for more than 10-15 nights per year and I want to do it for the least amount of money as possible. We are a family of 6 and DVC will not allow us to affordable stay as long as we like. For whatever reason, this point was lost in the discussion.

Now, an interesting fact I learned from that discussion is that the point value system (i.e. 97 points a week during value season) will not change over the course of ownership. That is definitely food for thought.

Just one thing...you are from florida...which means you are more than likely never going to step foot on a plane to get to WDW....you most likely use Florida annual or seasonal passes...which provide a very good discount

So this discussion isn't really directed to those that are in your situation

If you want to spend 35 or more...or roughly 10% of the year...at WDW...more power to you.

But there are most likely very few of us outside of driving range that could even fathom doing that...with the added cost of airline, fuel....rental cars....or other transportation fees.

Those that aren't at WDW so frequently are often likely to spend more on food and merchandise per visit as well...as being there is more exotic. Not maybe to the adults...but definitely the children.

So I agree that DVC probably wouldn't be right for you for a long time....but it is more because the system isn't designed for those who are THAT into being there...and it is not meant to be offensive....just pointing out that it is a completely different scenario....

You would need a minimum of 240 points of year if you only stayed M-Thurs at OKW in a studio for 30 nights in low season...that is a minimum and provides no flexibility

So really...you are correct in that it's not for you....

for someone who loves deluxes, lives in the northeast, is a former local resident and employee, got married there, has traveled at least 3 times a year annually since leaving...is just starting a family...who has other family with DVC....who wants to use it outside of Orlando through exchange and now disney's expanded offering in California, Hawaii and beyond....
    ...it is perfect

I don't think that the point was lost in the discussion...it simply just doesn't apply in anything other than a tiny fraction of cases

lockedoutlogic Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Basically, we should just sticky DVC Mike's original post in this forum and close everything off to further discussion. He laid out, as clearly as you can, when DVC makes sense for you.

It's obviously not for everyone, for the reasons Mike specified. It's a personal decision, a primarily emotional one in some ways, that everyone has to make on their own.

One thing I will say, though, is that I think some people dismiss it out of hand without ever really stopping to listen to what's being said or to really think about the benefits DVC provides.

I can say that with a degree of confidence, because I used to be one of those people. I figured if Disney is pushing DVC on me so hard, it must be heavily slanted in their favor. But when I finally stopped and sat down and really listened to my Sales Guide I realized I was being foolish and really passing up a lot of benefits.

I agree, Ian...

But the one thing that I do put a little extra emphasis on is that you are paying a one time purchase fee at a locked in rate...

This is even more important if you pay cash for the sale...as then you can approximate a reasonable cash value per point that your purchase will yield over the course of the contract....even with escalating maintenance fees.

I figured my room night at Beach Club (a friday night...so 22 points in low season)...equated to somewhere in the range of 160-180 dollars a night in real money expenditure over the course of the contract....that is already a substantial savings on the room and will only increase based on the rise of room rates well into this century...

you have to consider that...it is the key to DVC use at WDW....now of course you will continue to have to pay more for all the other parts of your trips....but to almost lockin a fixed dollar amount for 40-50 years is a great buy

the moderates are up to 149 - 165 plus a night (in the case of CBR...probably 70% of the room inventory is either preferred, water view, or king bed by default...so the average starting rate is probably closer to 157 or so dollars - for example) That would mean that spread out over the contract a studio at OKW is already less than the moderates....

I cannot tell you how much of an increased value that is....it is not even realistic to think that spending out of pocket in the future will come anywhere close to the value of DVC from a ROOM perspective....

I just like to point out that the practical numbers involved are heavily in favor of the longterm value of DVC.

Post Thanks / Like

Default ?

What's so bad about a debate here? I don't own DVC but I've been kicking the idea around a bit. I think its very informative to get a little back and forth here as well and can't understand why the mod wont allow it. Well thought out point / counterpoint is one of the main benefits of this style message board. Strange......

77-DL
    89-DL
    94-ASSp
    95-OKW
    98-WDW Hol.Inn MG
    99-WDW Off Prop
    06-ASMov
    07-Pop 2/4 - 2/14
    07-ASMus 9/11 - 9/17
    08-ASMov & DCL 10/27 - 11/2
    09-ASMov & DCL Wonder 9/21 - 10/1
    10-WDW Off Prop 4/23 - 4/25
    10-DCL Magic 7 nt EB 10/23
    10-CSR 10/30 - 11/1
    12-POR 1/8 - 1/15
    12-CSR 12/20-27

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Donald A View Post
    ...I know that a good finance man could invest my money and get me a good return. I am a doctor, not a finance guy so I don't know.

I'll tell you what I do know. I love Walt Disney World. I can leave knowing I get to go back. In fact, as we leave for this trip we are going to make reservations for another next Christmas.

I literally feel like I am part of the magic. I actually own a percentage of a building on Disney property. That is neat for me. I get a special magazine and publications from DVC. I am reminded quite often that I belong to this. Some people buy season tickets to sports and I enjoy that too, but this is something better.

Material goods can get stolen and new cars break down and are eventually replaced. Memories, however, last forever. These trips are something I can always remember and are often something much more valuable than the money it costs to make them.
    Donald A. sounds like me.

I bought into DVC for the same reason my dad bought tickets 10 rows back from home plate during the 1970 Baltimore Orioles baseball season when I was 7 years old. Sure, he could have gotten seats in the bleachers and we would have seen the game and had a good time, and he would have saved money. But he wanted to make sure it was the best possible experience, because he valued the moment, valued the time, and valued the memories we made more than saving a few dollars.

I cannot imagine not having my DVC membership for the last 5 years. I cannot imagine being without the memories of the time spent there together with my all my family and friends. Those all too brief moments are priceless to me.

So feel free to make all the financial comparisons, the cost-benefit analyses, calculations of concerning the all-powerful investment theory of the "time-value-of-money."

If that's what's most important, then so be it...I will be the first one to step up and agree that DVC is not right for you.

But for me, I'll keep my memories and I'll keep my DVC.
    6/74- Offsite
    5/97 - Hilton LBV
    1/04- Offsite
    4/04 - Pop
    2/05 - GF
    4/05 - Poly
    6/05 - MG for 11 at BWV
    4/06 - BCV
    6/06 - MG for 15 at BCV
    2/07 - BCV
    2/08 - BWV (1st time no kids)
    11/08 - BCV
    *8/2010 - Grand gaterhing for 25 at the BCV

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by johnO View Post
    What's so bad about a debate here? I don't own DVC but I've been kicking the idea around a bit. I think its very informative to get a little back and forth here as well and can't understand why the mod wont allow it. Well thought out point / counterpoint is one of the main benefits of this style message board. Strange......

Nothing wrong with a well thought out debate on pros and cons. What is wrong is repeating yourself and beating a point to death - that's the kind of 'debate' I am aiming to prevent. I want useful information available to all, not lost in meaningless arguments. Does that make more sense to you?
    Mikki

Post Thanks / Like

Default My Thoughts

I don't have a DVC membership, can't afford one right now. However I look forward to my retirement (and possibly before) when I will have the time and money to join. The thought of being able to stay in large nice room with kitchen, washer/dryer while on property sounds good to me. I would love to able to stay for awhile and take things at my own pace and not feel rushed into cramming what I can into 5 day once every few years vacation. I'm not looking for a money investment, I would be investing in vactions or to put it better, the quailty of my life. If you can't afford this I totally understand. I would do this to bring the family together every other year and to take my own vactions without family. So for me this makes good since.
    Three years in Connecticut and loving it
    Next trip in Jan 2017 I hope!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: