Quantcast Hot Stove thread

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Hot Stove thread

As all teams can talk to any free agent as of midnight tonight, I think it is time to start a general baseball “hot stove” thread (and I want to get my mind off my bad football picks this season ).

This thread is not limited to a discussion of any one team; all 30 teams are up for discussion. As always, a little trash talking is fine, but bashing of fans and their opinions will not be tolerated.

I’ll start with what my team, the Phillies, have done so far. I have to say I am pleased. Yes, Lidge has risks, but really what trade doesn’t hold some element of risk? After Schilling decided to stay with the Red Sox, the quality of free agent pitchers decreased drastically. It really was smarter to put Myers back in the rotation as his stuff was better than anyone else out on the free agent market and the price for Santana is going to be too high. They are going to want someone like Cole Hamels for him (a good player many years from free agency) and that would be a bad move for the Phils in my opinion.

Very happy we resigned J.C. Romero. The Phillies bullpen had problems, but he was not one of them. Rowand wants way too many years. I’ll be curious if any team gives him the 6 years, $85 million (which would have made him higher paid than Chase Utley).
    Christine ºoº

Intercot Staff-Accommodations, Dining, Guests with Special Needs

Please support Intercot's Sponsors

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, the Red Sox and Lowell negotiations don't seem to be going good. It is either he still wants a 4 year deal, or he does not want to stay in Boston, and if he leaves that opens the door for Cabrera, who would be another great young player in the Red Sox organization. Speaking of young players, Dustin Pedroia was named AL Rookie of the year.
    Philly Eagles Fan! Red Sox Fan! Celtics Fan!

Post Thanks / Like

Also the Red Sox are looking at another Japanese pitcher, I just can't find his name right now. Also, I read a rumor of Coco Crisp being traded for Hank Blalock, but I think it is unlikely. I say this knowing that the Red Sox are capable of getting more talent for Coco.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry for posting so much so quick, I promise I'll stop for atleast an hour, but I just found out Mike Lowell and Mike Timlin filed for free agency today. Even the Red Sox offical site is missing Lowell and Timlin from the roster. And the Sox could afford A-Rod, but I don't want to see him in a Boston uniform unless Cabrera is off the block.

Post Thanks / Like

Pitching, pitching, and more pitching.

Starting pitching. Long relief. Middle innings. Setup. I’ll even take another closer if one better than Wagner is available.

The Mets haven’t really done anything yet except pick up Alou’s option.

I’ll take A-Rod as long as we don’t have to give him his own personal hair salon in the new stadium.

If the Mets could sign Santana to an extension, I’d trade Reyes and a prospect for him and sign A-Rod for SS.

Oh, and did I mention we need pitching.
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

In the report about that Japanese pitcher ( whose name I still can't find ) the Mets are also active in the talks with that pitcher. A few things I could remember off the top of my head is that he is 33, has a longer and more confusing name than Dice-K, and wants a deal in the same area as Dice-K's, but without the 50 million negotiations part. Also I think It will be a shootout for A-Rod between the Mets and Socks, knowing the Marlins are a little more interested in what the Yanks have than the Socks for Cabrera.

Post Thanks / Like

You have Andruw Jones out there. Just how much $$$$ will it take for him to be signed?

I think I read somewhere that the pitching market consist of older pitchers. I have not really keep up with them though. I think Tom Glavine is on the list. Does he have anything left for a long season?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by medic9016 View Post
    I think Tom Glavine is on the list. Does he have anything left for a long season?
    I think so, but not as a 1 or 2. Maybe a 3 or 4. I have a feeling he's retiring. He’s pretty much said he would only pitch for the Mets or Braves, and I don’t think either will offer anywhere close to the $13M option he declined.
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

Tom Glavine has enough for another season, but probably only for a six man rotation. I also saw Roger Clemens is a free agent, I'd say its time for these guys to retire. I think Roger took a job with the Astros to be a talent evaluator or something like that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    Rowand wants way too many years. I’ll be curious if any team gives him the 6 years, $85 million (which would have made him higher paid than Chase Utley).
    Probably.

I wouldn’t compare his contract with Utley’s. Utley was what, in his 2nd or 3rd full year when he signed his extension? I think he got the best contract ever signed by a player that green. Way better than David Wright’s. Rowand’s in like his 7th or 8th year.
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

I think the yankees would offer him a six year deal, Abreau should be on his way out he is out of his prime, and that would be a pretty good outfield for the Yankees having Matsui, Melky, and Rowand. But then again, Abreau could keep that job if the Yankees make a deal for Santana involving Melky, then they could fill that hole with Rowand.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by goofhook View Post
    Abreau should be on his way out ...
    The Yankees picked up Abreu's option for '08.
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

That is interesting that they picked it up, knowing with out A-Rod, the Yankees could use a power hitter, unless if they go for Cabrera. But I think they want Lowell. ( who will most likely get a deal like Damon ) I wonder if they have trade talks going on that we don't know about involving a power hitter, Travis Hafner or someone like that?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scar View Post
    Pitching, pitching, and more pitching.

Starting pitching. Long relief. Middle innings. Setup. I’ll even take another closer if one better than Wagner is available.
    As many issues as the Phillies have had with closers, I'm still glad we didn't resign Wagner. He is starting to break down, and once again he is airing complaints through the press. He is bad news in a clubhouse.

I’ll take A-Rod as long as we don’t have to give him his own personal hair salon in the new stadium.

If the Mets could sign Santana to an extension, I’d trade Reyes and a prospect for him and sign A-Rod for SS.

Oh, and did I mention we need pitching.
    Interesting idea. As a fan of another team in the NL East, I hope it never happens , but it's an interesting thought.

Probably.

I wouldn’t compare his contract with Utley’s. Utley was what, in his 2nd or 3rd full year when he signed his extension? I think he got the best contract ever signed by a player that green. Way better than David Wright’s. Rowand’s in like his 7th or 8th year.
    Even more reason not to give him such a long contract. The Phillies were burned by the long contracts they gave to Abreu and Burrell. We will finally be done paying off Thome (I think) at the end of 2008. The Phillies have reason to be leary on how many productive years they will get out of his contract.
    Christine ºoº

Intercot Staff-Accommodations, Dining, Guests with Special Needs

Please support Intercot's Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

The Yankees made their first smart move of the Off-season they signed Posada
    Jeff (aka JPL)
    Former VMK alias figgiefig
    Intercot Staff
    Disney Tech - Software, Games & Web
    The Locker Room
    Disney Vacation Club

[email protected]

"Remember it all started with a Mouse"

Post Thanks / Like

FYI,

I found a cool website that gives the details of every MLB contract.

Google "Cot's baseball contracts".

It appears to be very current, they even have Posada's new contract updated.
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

Cool web site. thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

That is an interesting site, for one, I did not think the Red Sox had that large of a payroll going into 2007. I'm also suprised to see most of our key players making such low amounts of money, I thought for sure Paps made atleast a couple million a year.

Post Thanks / Like

In other interesting news from the Yankees they offered Mariano Rivera a 3 yr $45M deal
    Jeff (aka JPL)
    Former VMK alias figgiefig
    Intercot Staff
    Disney Tech - Software, Games & Web
    The Locker Room
    Disney Vacation Club

[email protected]

"Remember it all started with a Mouse"

Post Thanks / Like

I found something very interesting on ESPN.com, and it just happens to deal with A-Rod. It says that the Yankees and A-Rod are negotiating about a deal to bring him back to New York. I thought the Yankees said if he opts out they will not pursue him. I have a feeling this is going to be a fun outseason, maybe more drama than the messed up Knicks?

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: