Quantcast Disney Being Sued Over Segway Ban - Page 6

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Post Thanks / Like

I think segways being allowed in Disney would be a horrific idea but not based solely on the operator's good or poor control of them. I was in Disney on Saturday and Magic Kingdom was pretty crowded I can't even count how many times I was bumped into by strollers (at least five times!), wheelchairs, and children (especially if they were wearing heelys! I can't say how much I think those are inappropriate for the parks).

In fact, most of the trouble comes from people, especially small children, suddenly stopping or turning right in front of you so imagine if you will little Timmy getting excited because he suddenly saw Tigger and running right in front of you. That's exactly what happened the other day and I nearly tripped over the poor kid. Imagine if I had a segway going 12 mph (albeit it is the worst case scenario).

And for the many people who actually would benefit from a segway, there will be those few who just use them to tour the parks faster (unless there is a concession made for those who truly need it but how that is to be determined brings about more problems).

My point is that Disney World DOES provide good alternatives to segways and as long as it continues to do so, I can only see disaster if they segways were allowed.
    ~All the time in a world that's not enough...~

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I just checked out that DRAFT website.

I think they should allow our disabled vets to use them in Epcot & Animal Kingdom (those parks seems to me, to have the most room for the segways to co-exist peacefully with the people walking, strollers, wheelchairs & ECVs).

I can see where it could be considered a safety hazard on the main streets of MK and MGM......
    SSR & BC DVC Member
    Coming up - BWV July '18
    BWI '98, BWV '05, '08-16
    BLT - '15, '17
    Beach Club '96, BCV - '04, '06, 09
    Swan '07
    Contemporary - '91, '94, '02, '04
    Wilderness Lodge '00, VWL, 08
    Off Site - '80's

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Snowgod View Post
    Now that you all have proved your bias by wanting Segways banned from WDW unless you are charged for the experience.
    Those who don't agree with you are "biased" - a classic redirect of an argument. Folks are welcome to their opinions. Having an opinion on a subject does not make one "biased".
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

Having an opinion on a subject does not make one "biased"
    From Wikapedia "A bias is a prejudice in a general or specific sense, usually in the sense for having a preference to one particular point of view or ideological perspective."

We are both Biased

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Snowgod View Post
    From Wikapedia "A bias is a prejudice
    There's my problem with "bias". I'm not talking about being prejudiced. I'm talking about having an opinion. We have opinions based on our experiences at WDW. We have experiences and observations with crowds, the flow (or lack thereof) with traffic, the set-up of lines and queuing areas. My opinions are based on my first hand observations of those things and how I believe Segways would fit into the above.

I am not biased or prejudiced; rather I have an opinion based on my experiences, observations and knowledge.
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

So, does your experience include Segways?
    Have you ever operated a Segway in a crowd? Have you ever been in a crowd with Segways operating around you?
    I have taken groups on Segways through crowded places including parks in Florida and have never had anyone hit or run over. I have used my Segway at WDW in the Boardwalk area and resorts and had nothing but good things said to me by the crowds. I love that WDW has some of the nicest places to glide on my Segway and hope to return many times. Do I wish I could use my Segway in the parks, Yes but I also worry about leaving it while I go to the rest rooms or in a store as people always seem to try to get on it when I park it. Just like our President they crash because the Segway is not turned on.
    As a last comment on this issue, in 2004 the Segway community had it's annual convention at the Coconut Point resort on the west coast of Florida and the resort let us operate in the resort and everywhere else including riding to and from our rooms and riding the elevators. The non-convention guests seemed to have as much fun as we were and the resort invited us back.

Post Thanks / Like

Just to chime in.....

The security guards at my local mall use Segways to patrol. The are actually very nimble little devices. It is a little intimidating to see this thing come bareling towrds you and I've stopped dead in my tracks a few time when I see it coming. A little bit of "deer in the headlights" syndrome I guess. These security guards who ride them are well practiced and I've never had a problem with being run over. I guess the issue would come in with people who are inexperienced and use them simply because they are allowed on Disney property. If someone gets hurt who's gonna get sued. Not the operator of the Segway, but Disney. I understand their trepidation on this issue.

People with certain physical disabilities use "standers" all the time. I've seen them used in the classroom. Instead of sitting all day the child will be held upright in order to do his work. It can be alot more comfortable.

When people sue it leaves a bad taste in everyone's mouth. I don't want my child run over by a Segway either, but the same can be said for any wheeled device. I've been smashed by more strollers at Disney world then I care to count, leaving bruises and scrapes. Should they be banned?

In my opinion Disney should allow them, but not provide them. If you wish to bring your own Segway, then that is your choice. The Disney company should not be held responsible for any damage caused by them or to them.

Just my

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by starryeyes21 View Post
    In my opinion Disney should allow them, but not provide them. If you wish to bring your own Segway, then that is your choice. The Disney company should not be held responsible for any damage caused by them or to them.

Just my
    The minute Disney gives the green light, you'll have a rental shop set up right outside the gates. They'll probably even offer to deliver your Segway to the front entrance of the park you're attending that day.
    Genna
    Always Enjoy the
    ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨Magic¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨

"Now approaching, Mickey's Star Traders"

If You Can Read This...
    ...Thank The Phoenicians!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thrillme View Post
    Segways seem to be very agile. They stop and turn quite quickly. I think the percentage of people that will want to use them (handicap or whatever) are quite likely to bring their own.

Why not simply require a "License to Operate" and require operators bringing in their own to carry some sort of liability insurance. I think the same could be said for EVC's as well. If they do end up injuring someone due to recklessness that person would be covered.

Of course a License to Operate and Insurance is not in the plans yet.

I just don't see them as being that much of a hassel anymore than an EVC, agressive stroller operator or an undisciplined child running and bashing into someone causing them to fall.
    Until you spend a day in en EVC in Disney World you will never know how hard it is on the person riding. For some reason everyone looks at an EVC as fun or an easy way to get around. Well, trust me, it is not.

I am only 44 years old and have had to use an EVC my last 5 visits and I HATE it. Aside from the ugly stares I get I also have to deal with the fact that no one will stop for me. If I am going down a walkway and someone decides to cross they just step in front of me. Is is because they do not see me? Is it because they think I can stop fast? Is it because they do not care about me? I don't know... I do know that no matter what happens next I get dirty looks. From the person I run into because I could not stop fast enough or the person who runs into me from behind because they think I am an idiot that can not drive just stopping short.

No matter what, I lose. I drive an EVC very well, but have had to have family members make a wall around me and move as a crowd to get from point A to point B just so we could move without being cut off.
    I would love it if everyone would just follow a person in an EVC for about 5 minutes in a crowd just to see what kind of obsticles they have to deal with. Maybe then you would understand.

Now, back to the original topic. For the reasons listed I would hate to see Segways in the parks. Not because I do not like them but because we have to remember where we are. There are kids everywhere with all things Disney on their minds. If they see something that catches their interest they are going to run. When they run in front of me in an EVC I am at least at eye level with them and have a good chance of stopping in time so I do not hurt them. (but I will make the person behind me mad)
    If a kid runs out in front of a Segway there is a very good chance that they will not be seen. I do not want to see what happens when they crash. And whose fault would that be? Disney? Segway?

I think the crowds are just too large to put anything else on wheels into the mix.
    JMHO
    ~Angel~
    Proud DVC owners!
    SSR January 2007
    Bay Lake November 2008

Post Thanks / Like

A final comment on this discussion. A Segway weighs about 80lbs. and can be picked up by 2 people with little trouble. An ECV takes 3-4 people to lift before you fill the basket and bags with stuff. The batteries are the heavy part of an ECV but on a Segway it is the tires and wheels that are the parts that weigh the most. I have been run over by both and the Segway was not painful at all. Larger wheels spread the weight.

Post Thanks / Like

Question

Did they never see an ecv????

Ecvs are just as dangerous... i swear they should give people a driving test before they let them drive an ECV. I cant count how many times i have been run over and the toes dont appreciate them. Segways will be just as bad.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: