Quantcast Disney Dining Experience Program Changes - Page 3

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

This complaint about automatic gratuity has been around for awhile (at least with DDP customers). But now that it's effecting DDE users, it seems to have taken on a new life. I'm not accusing everyone, but some have either had their head buried in the sand, or they just didn't care until it effected them. For the lucky few who've never had their service effected by an automatic gratuity, YAY for you, but for the rest of us, it stinks.
    Genna
    Always Enjoy the
    ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨Magic¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨

"Now approaching, Mickey's Star Traders"

If You Can Read This...
    ...Thank The Phoenicians!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, I forgot about places that don't have TS restaurants...we did use the DDE card there (like at Pop), but not in AK. We were actually turned down there (Tusker House and Flame Tree) and couldn't use our DDE card in 2005.....not sure why.

I looked at a couple other very informative Disney info sites, and they stated the automatic gratuity will be applied at TS locations only.

I've never had bad service at WDW, so I guess that's why I don't really care about the automatic 18% gratuity. I honestly can't EVER remember having bad service at all, even last year in the midst of the DDP when many here complained of bad service. So, I was more than happy to give 18% on the plan plus additional if the server really deserved it, and probably still will be.

I'm one of the lucky who has not seen any downturn in service or food quality since the advent of the DDP, so I just can't complain. Guess that's a good thing.
    NEXT TRIP - DCL Fantasy Oct. 2016
    Yacht Club - Oct. '14, Dec. '15
    Poly - Dec. '07, '09
    Grand Flo - Too many times to keep track!
    CBR - May '10, Oct. '10, Dec. '11
    POR - Sept & Dec '03
    AoA - Oct. '12, Dec. '13
    Pop - May '11

Post Thanks / Like

Default Added 18% gratuity starts 2008

I just read on another site that beginning 1/1/08 Disney will automatically add 18% gratuity to all TS meals, regardless of party size. Is this true? If so how does that affect the Dining Plan?

Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to close this thread as this is already being discussed here.
    Christine ºoº

Intercot Staff-Accommodations, Dining, Guests with Special Needs

Please support Intercot's Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

See Disney Dining Experience Policy Change & New Property Wide Gratuity Policy where this topic is already under discussion.

To keep discussion in one place, let's all follow along there.

Thank you.
    Figment! aka Jason ºoº
    INTERCOT STAFF
    News, Rumours & Imagineering
    Dining
    Vacations Beyond Disney

~It’s what us storytellers do; we restore order with imagination, we instill hope again and again~

~We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things~

Post Thanks / Like

FACT: It's not a gratuity if it is automatically added. It is a service charge.

Disney, don't call it a gratuity. You insult our intelligence.

Seems like it's going to be much simplier to get an ADR in 2008... I won't be taking any...
    Steve "I'm Grumpy because you're Dopey"
    90Treehouse, 93Clubhouse Villa(DD2), 96Hotel Plaza(DD5&2), 99CR, 01OKW(expecting DS), 03POR (luv the trundle), 04AKL, 06ASMo(DW40, DD2), 07DLRP/PC, 08Y&BC/PC/DLRP, 09ASMusic/Cruise, 10ASSp/Pop, 11POR/Cruise, 12DLR, 13PC/Cruise, 14ASMu, 15CRx2, 16CR&ASMo(DW50)

Post Thanks / Like

I called into Disney Dining to ask some questions. I was very respectful but firm.

1) Does the automatic 18% gratuity apply to only TS or CS as well?

TS only.

2) If the service from the server is unsatisfactory, what recourse does a diner now have?

Talk to the manager

3) And the manager can fix this problem?

Yes.

4) Will the servers receive all of the 18% gratuity?

I would assume so but they haven't discussed this with us.

I then voiced my complaint concerning the fact that gratuity by it's very nature should be determined by the person paying the bill and receiving the service and that more than likely some of the excellent servers at Disney will actually realize less in tips due to the facts that those who are more generous for excellent service will not wish to go through the extra hassle of adding more to a completed bill.

I then thanked her for her time and told her to have a good evening.
    My 3 favorite parts of the EPCOT Food and Wine Festival.. the food, the wine, and the festival!!

Jambo!! AKV Owners as of Oct '07

Most Recent Visits:
    CR/OKW/POR Nov 2006
    AKL Dec 2006 and Jan 2007
    AKL/CR Oct 2007
    Future visits:
    AKV/OKW Dec 2007
    AKV May and Sept/Oct 2008

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    Let the party decide the tip, and make the server work for the cash. I truly believe servers are more attentive to tables not using the Disney Dining Plan, and now folks with the Disney Dining Experience card will be stiffed.
    I honestly don't feel that I've ever been "stiffed" by a CM when using the DDP (though I am still waiting for my second lemonade ).

Quote Originally Posted by LibertyTreeGal View Post
    Ditto, this is placing WDW further and further down the list of future vacation spots. It's like they are purposefully pushing people away
    It's going to take a lot more than an 18% gratuity or "service charge" to keep me away! I normally tip at least 15% so this won't be a problem for me nor will it make me think twice about yearly visits to WDW.
    Ellen
    INTERCOT Staff: Dining, Disney Cruise Line, Guests with Special Needs

Next up:
    Christmas with the Mouse
    President's Week 2013

Post Thanks / Like

We should also look at how this will make the wait staff that do an excellent job everyday feel, now they see that the wait staff members who don't do as good can get the same in tips as they do. Isn't it possible that the ones that do a great job may sluff off a little more since there is no insentive to do a great job anymore unless people give the great ones another few % more tip?

What if our everyday neighbor resturants (i.e. Applebees, Red Lobster, ect) did something like this, would you still go to that resturant? I know some do with larger parties but what if they did it for any size party too?
    Off Site-- All Star Movies-- Pop Century-- Coronado Springs-- Port Orleans French Quarter
    Walt Disney-"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."

Post Thanks / Like

I would assume that if you are receiving stellar service, you can tip more than the 18% automatically added on. That is just the starting point of where the "tip" (and I use that definition loosely) begins.

Not so much for the DDP folks, but more for the DDE people . . . money is changing hands regardless, so it wouldn't be difficult to bump that 18% up to 20-25% on the final bill for excellent service.

Last trip, we received nothing but the best of servers and we usually tipped 20-25% at each TS location. I should also add that good service is incredibly important for us to enjoy our meal - it also determines in a big way if we will repeat that dining location again next trip.
    Carol (aka KylesMom)
    INTERCOT Staff: Mousellaneous & Trip Reports
    Last Trip: ICOT 15
    Happy A/P Holder 2002 - 2011

Post Thanks / Like

A Tip is a motivator for good service.

How does an automatic 18% gaurantee me good service??

To me this is taking all the power out of guests hands when it comes to dining and service. I am on vacation and don't want to waste my time talking to a manager to get my 18% back if the service was awful. And the answer you are going to get from the manager is sorry this is Disney's Policy nothing I can do for you.

I for one will be looking at heading off site more for dining options when I can. At least I know it wasn't booked solid 6 months in advance and server is still working for a tip not getting a gauranteed 18% for doing as little as humanly possible.

What's next pay for the dining plan and Disney tells you where and when you have to eat.
    Jeff (aka JPL)
    Former VMK alias figgiefig
    Intercot Staff
    Disney Tech - Software, Games & Web
    The Locker Room
    Disney Vacation Club

[email protected]

"Remember it all started with a Mouse"

7.37 miles from WDW. My retirement dream come true!
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree that they have just changed gratuity into a service charge....and it's just another bad "vibe" that we are getting from Disney.

But I still have not seen a difinitive answer....does this just apply to those using the DDE or will those using the "new DDP" have it added as well? What about the people who are not on any dining plan...maybe not even staying on site....they go to a restaurant to pay out of pocket and THEY WILL AUTOMATICALLY HAVE AN 18% Gratuity added???? That is really, really, really poor buiness for Disney...I mean really, most of us tip 18%+ anyway, it's just a matter that the server will not be "serving" to earn the tip....he or she just has to be breathing to earn the tip.....why don't they just pay them a decent wage and do away with tips all together!!!

I won't stay away from WDW....that would never happen......BUT, it will be counter service for us if not just on principal alone!

Glad we're going in December...the last of the "good dining plan" that not only included gratuity but dessert AND an appetizer....those were the days, hugh?
    I LOVE DISNEY WORLD!!!!!
    A dream is a wish your heart makes and mine came true when I retired here in December 2014! I go to a park at least once a week!

Post Thanks / Like

If the 18% 'gratuity/service charge' is just DDE I will think twice about whether to get it next year.

If the 18% 'gratuity/service charge' is all Table service locations I will be eating a lot less in Disney. The service I have had over the last few years has been getting a lot worse from Disney restaurants and does not warrant their price levels let alone an 18% tip on top. Maybe always renting a car will be a cost saving in future!
    Mikki
    INTERCOT staff - DVC, Characters, Collectibles and Games

2017 Feb WDW Festival of Art and hopefully winter sunshine
    2017 Aug Disneyland bound

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WheresWalt View Post
    I called into Disney Dining to ask some questions. I was very respectful but firm.

1) Does the automatic 18% gratuity apply to only TS or CS as well?

TS only.

2) If the service from the server is unsatisfactory, what recourse does a diner now have?

Talk to the manager

3) And the manager can fix this problem?

Yes.

4) Will the servers receive all of the 18% gratuity?

I would assume so but they haven't discussed this with us.

I then voiced my complaint concerning the fact that gratuity by it's very nature should be determined by the person paying the bill and receiving the service and that more than likely some of the excellent servers at Disney will actually realize less in tips due to the facts that those who are more generous for excellent service will not wish to go through the extra hassle of adding more to a completed bill.

I then thanked her for her time and told her to have a good evening.

First, thank you for posting the contents of your call! Regarding question 4, I don't think the Dining reservation CMs will be provided with that much information on tip calculation differences for WDW owned vs. non-WDW owned restaurants (most World Showcase restaurants, Wolfgang Puck, etc.), so he/she gave you the best answer she could. To get that answer, we probably need to ask the actual wait staff. From when I spoke with waiters on my trip in October, you have to ask them the question point blank (just like the poster did to the reservations CM) as they can not volunteer the information.
    Christine ºoº

Intercot Staff-Accommodations, Dining, Guests with Special Needs

Please support Intercot's Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, I am really bothered by all of this as well. I worked as a server in college and DH is a chef so we always tip around 20% unless the service is absolutely horrible. I just don't appreciate anyone forcing me to tip 18%. The word tips basically means "To Insure Prompt Service". When someone knows they are getting the moeny regardless of how they treat the customer how does that insure prompt and friendly service??

I have a trip booked in March 2008. It just so happens to be our very first trip to Disney and I don't want it to be spoiled by a series of miserable dining experiences. Hopefully the service won't be as bad as I fear, but when people know they're getting a fairly decent tip regardless of the work they put in, what else can you expect??

Should I try to cancel our deluxe dining plan, or just cross my fingers and hope for the best?
    Amber
    3/08 - Coronado Springs
    12/08 - Coronado Springs
    5/09 - Beach Club
    9/09 - Caribbean Beach and Yacht Club
    2/10 - Yacht Club
    5/10 - Animal Kingdom Lodge and Polynesian

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LibertyTreeGal View Post
    I'm a big tipper too, and I hate this!! I prefer to reserve the right to tip more or less based on the quality of service...
    Don't like this at all! We typically tip at least 20% (before the discount) at TS meals and we typically have good service, however on that rare occasion when we have bad/poor service, to be "forced" to pay a gratuity we feel is undeserved just feels wrong! Will make me rethink my TS ressies on principle alone!

I should probably know this but can someone
    post an email/snail mail address where we can write to voice our complaints?

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think I could have ever been more glad than I am right now that we had our wonderful annual pass year this past year, and not going forward. This is outrageous. If this is still policy in a couple of years when we take another trip it will definately change how many meals we pay for and how many we will eat at the villa. It's nuts. Won't stop me from going to 'Ohana though!
    Upcoming:
    October 2013
    8 nights at Pop Century with Free Dining to celebrate DS turning 4 years old!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! This really blows my mind! First, I'm a DDE card holder... and did not receive this email?? Wonder why? I am also a big tipper... especially when in Disney! My DH has to tell me to stop! but somehow it just doesn't seem right to HAVE TO tip big.

Will this new "gratuity policy" effect those using the dining plan also?
    3/88 & 3/91 off site
    3/02 ASMov
    10/03 ASSp
    5/04 adults only!(POP)
    11/04 ASMov
    1/06 CBR
    3/07 5th anniv.(POP)
    2/08 ASMov
    10/10 5k-solo trip!(ASMov)
    2/2011 princess half(POR)
    10/2012 MNSSHP(AoA)
    10/2014 ToT 10-miler(CBR)
    11/2017 family trip(POP)

FUTURE TRIPS
    1/2019 ASMusic

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DVC Mike View Post
    The email was sent to everyone who has the DDE card.

I always tip 20%, or more if the service is exceptional.

I guess I'm going to save 2% and complain to the manager if I get poor service.
    I did not receive this email either and I am a DDE member.

And I agree with you Mike, the server is going to be cheated out of 2% because I also usually tip 20% or more but it's doubtful I will add a few extra bucks now unless the service goes above and beyond.

Post Thanks / Like

Now I know that Disney has an army of attorneys to handle all legal aspects of their operations. However, I seriously question the legality of this move.

There was a case in New York City about 3 years ago where a man refused to pay the mandatory 18% because his party size was large (10 people or so).

The restaurant had him arrested as he left the establishment and refused to pay the entire "bill." The case went to court and HE WON. In other words, the courts sided with the customer - a gratuity is to be left at the customer's discretion. It is NOT up to the restaurant to pre-determine the amount of tip.

There were some legalities involved, namely the "naming" of the so-called gratuity. If it's called a "tip" or a "gratuity," it cannot be legally added to the bill. If it's called a "service charge," then it can be added at the restaurant's discretion - as long as advertised beforehand.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out in WDW.
    Frank

DVC Owner
    BWV, BCV, SSR

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: