Quantcast Splash Mountain

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Splash Mountain

Post Thanks / Like

Default Splash Mountain

How wet do you actually get riding SM? I hate water rides, just b/c I hate to get wet...alittle damp is ok, but not soaked! We are going in Dec. if that makes any difference.
    How about the other water ride @ AK? Do you get soaked on that one?

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Splash really varies. I have been on it and gotten a little damp, and then there are other times when it has been a soaker! There have also been times when I was barely wet and my hubby sitting right next to me got it pretty good. I guess I would say if you don't want to risk getting soaked, don't go.

As for Kali River Rapids in AK -- I wouldn't expect any part of you to stay dry on that ride!
    Jen

Always ready to talk Disney
    Grand Floridian**Contemporary**Polynesian**Wilderness Lodge**Yacht Club**Dolphin**Port Orleans French Quarter**All Star Movies**All Star Music**POP Century**Disney Wonder**Disney Magic**Disney Dream**VWL**Old Key West**Animal Kingdom Lodge**Bay Lake Tower

Post Thanks / Like

Hi!
    I, too, am not a big fan of walking around in wet clothes! I have ridden Splash Mountain before and gotten mixed results. Sometimes I've been soaked and others haven't been so bad. Guess you'd just have to chance it? As for the AK water ride, no thanks! I've seen far too many people come off of it dripping wet. I'll pass! We usually go to WDW in Dec, we're going the 9-14 this year. In previous trips I've found it too chilly to ride the water rides, or do the water parks. Although I'm from the south so anything below 80 is too cold for water activities for us! Hope this helps!
    CTennant

~For you see, in the end it is between you and God. It was never between you and them anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Actually, sometimes the wettest part of SM is not even going down the big hill. We've gotten soaked sometimes when we were outside the mountain - and they shoot a big stream of water in the air when another boat is coming down the hill. That stream of water has often come down right on top of us. If you can avoid that, it's not likely you'll get soaked on the hill - wet yes, but probably not soaked. But something to consider - instead of letting the fear of getting soaked ruin your day, all the parks have lockers. Take some dry clothes along with you to the park - go have a blast, get wet, and then get changed for the rest of the day.

Post Thanks / Like

As others have said, you can stay completely dry on Splash or you can get soaked. If you don't want to get wet but would like to ride, you can always wear a poncho. And don't wear a white shirt--my sister made that mistake once! You'll also have a better shot at staying dry if you don't sit in the front of the boat.

In December, if it is cold, they shut off the extra water cannon, so you sometimes don't have to worry about that. Splash is predictably less crowded on cold mornings--sometimes you get an entire log to yourselves if the temperature is in the 40s. I see no appeal to doing the ride in that weather, but my sister is a fanatic. Last year she got saturated, hair wet and everything, in the cold weather, but she survived.

Post Thanks / Like

The last few times I've gone on Splash Mountain I've gotten pretty wet, so that's a possibility for you too. If you want to try the ride but don't want to walk around the park soaked for the rest of the day, then make it the last ride of the evening. That way you can go back to your resort afterwards to dry out.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Two words for ya:

MICKEY PONCHO!!!!

People laugh at us at the beginning, but at the end when we're dry & they're soaked, no more laughing

Post Thanks / Like

For me, Splash Mt. has never actually been a soaker, but it does really vary. One time, I took a huge splash right to my face. I did not like that very much, at all.

Post Thanks / Like

We usually ride Splash Mountain right before closing on an EMH night. That way we can go back to the resort immediately and get out of our wet clothes without taking any time away from our day.
    ºOº April ºOº

Next trips: GF Sept. '14, WL Jan. - Feb. '15!
    Previous stays: WL, AKL, Polynesian, POFQ, Newport Bay Club (DLP), DL Hotel, GF, DxL

Post Thanks / Like

I've been soaked on both rides. The last time we road Kali, we wore ponchos. People said we were wimps but at least we didn't walk around sopping wet. That being said, I would do it all again!
    Go Redskins!

Magical Memories:

POFQ 1996
    POFQ 1999
    POFQ 2000
    Poly 2007 (spoiled forever!)
    2013...I hope!!

Post Thanks / Like

I agree that we got more wet by the other boats coming down the big hill as we were going around it than when our boat came down. I must admit I got alot wetter than I had thought. It was September first thing in the morning and we were still wet at lunch time!
    Dec 08 SSR & first trip at holidays!
    Jan/Feb 09 Girl's only weekend with McGoofy!
    Sept 09 bounceback free dining again!

"I just want to live happily ever after every now and then." Jimmy Buffett

Post Thanks / Like

You don't get as wet on Splash Mountain if you sit in the back and on the left.
    As for Kali, there is really no way to know, because you are spinning, but a poncho is definetly a must on that ride if you don't want to get wet, but I have seen people get off and barely be wet. It happened to me once, in the middle of summer!
    I've been going to WDW since birth, and now I work there.
    Proud Baton Twirler!
    "Oh look, my tax dollars at work coming to arrest me, " Reily Pool, NT2
    Go UCF and UF!

Post Thanks / Like

I thought I read somewhere that they changed Splash so that now you get more soaked than before? Am I imagining that?

Anyway, I've gone the poncho route before too and always get laughs. I just hate walking around in wet clothes afterward!

One thing I try to do is wear clothes (especially bottoms!) that are made of quick drying material. I just found a great pair of hiking-type shorts for our upcoming trip at our local discount store (regularly $43 for $5!!). The material wicks moisture and also dries super fast. Now I have to find two or three more pair and I'm all set...

Now if only I could find underwear in the same material!
    **mousetrapper**

CBR Oct. 1999
    Poly Nov. 2001
    CBR Oct. 2003
    BC Oct. 2004
    CBR Sept. 2005
    Poly Thanksgiving Week 2007
    CBR Nov. 2009
    Port Orleans Nov. 2011
    CBR May/June 2013
    AoA Sept. 2013

Post Thanks / Like

You get DRENCHED on Kali River Rapids at AK. But you don't get that wet on Splash. There is only one part of the ride where you get wet and that is in the beginning, when a car is going down a hill there are these spray jets that soak the other people on the ride. That is really it. Splash Mountain you just get a little damp and you can just sit in the back to avoid being wet, in Kali River Rapids however, every single rider gets drenched!!! Try Splash Mountain.

Post Thanks / Like

I spend a lot of time at work selling clothes to soaking wet people...they all come from SM, I recommend a poncho and doing the ride immediately before you're leaving the park. When the weather gets cold they do turn down the water levels on the rides but you still get wet.

488.22 miles from Walt Dinsey World - Alabama
    Post Thanks / Like

I rode SM in Feb. on a day when the temp. was in the low 50's. Yes...it was a crazy thing to do, but when you are with a 9 year old who has never ridden SM...need I say more? Anyway, I was prepared and had some ponchos. We put them on, walked right up and hopped on board (not many other people were wanting to ride due to the COLD). We had a blast and actually rode it twice in a row. We stayed pretty dry with our ponchos (that cost 88 cents at Wal-mart). When we got done we gave our ponchos to some other guests.
    The Kali rapids will get you pretty wet even if you wear a poncho - at least that has been the case for me! If you ride it, make sure you keep your feet on the bar in the middle, it'll keep your feet dryer than if you leave your feet on the floor.
    At least 14 trips before 1988
    Off-site - 3-92
    Off-site - 2-01
    ASM - 5-02, 7-03
    CBR - 11-05, 2-10
    Off-site - 2-06
    Pop - 6-06, 2-08
    Poly -12-07
    Cor. S. - 6-2010
    Cor.S. - 10-11

"A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ThanxForNoticin View Post
    Actually, sometimes the wettest part of SM is not even going down the big hill. We've gotten soaked sometimes when we were outside the mountain - and they shoot a big stream of water in the air when another boat is coming down the hill. That stream of water has often come down right on top of us. If you can avoid that, it's not likely you'll get soaked on the hill - wet yes, but probably not soaked.
    I agree, the same thing happened to us back in September!!! Luckily, it was in the 90's that day, so being really wet was a blessing. It took us almost the whole day to entirely dry out, though. I think that in the cooler months, they have the water cannons set lower so that you don't get as wet. That is what I ready anyway. Good luck!!!
    Waiting does not seem long once it is accomplished.Old Saying.

Feb '98, POFQ
    Nov '98, Car. Beach
    Mar 2000, All-Music
    Oct '01, Cont.
    Jan '03. All-Music
    Nov '03, Royal Plaza
    Dec '04, Pop-Cent.
    Sept '05, All-Sports
    Jan '06, POFQ
    Dec '06, WL
    Sept '07, AKL
    Apr. '08, Hilton/GF
    Dec. '08, GF

Post Thanks / Like

I agree, wear a poncho on both those rides. Better safe than sorry.
    ºoºKathyºoº TimeShare 12-12
    GKTW June 2011,Off site Feb/March 2011
    Dolphin and POFQ 8/10
    POFQ Sept 08
    ASMu Aug-Sept 07
    Dolphin & CS-12/05. Mousefest & Dis Cruise
    Dolphin & POR July 04,WDW-Dolphin June 02Dolphin 6/2000
    Swan 6/99 -Dolphin March 98, March 94
    +many more times offsite

Post Thanks / Like

I have never gotten more then a little wet on Splash.
    Kali is another story. I have never gotten off it not soaked.

But, we go in September so getting wet is never a problem!!
    DVC Members @ SSR
    19 Trips since 1996:
    Caribbean Beach Resort-2x's, Dixie Landings-2x, POFQ-2x's, POR-3x's All Star Movies-4x's, Pop-1x, Saratoga Springs-2x, BWV-1x, OKW-2x

Just got back: August 17th-22nd POR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ThanxForNoticin View Post
    Actually, sometimes the wettest part of SM is not even going down the big hill. We've gotten soaked sometimes when we were outside the mountain - and they shoot a big stream of water in the air when another boat is coming down the hill. That stream of water has often come down right on top of us.
    YUP!!!!!!!!! The water cannons are the WORST!! Splash is easily my favorite ride these days. We often ride it over and over. In May 04 we got somewhat wet, but I remember drying off quickly. In Dec 05 temps were COLD! We wore ponchos on the first ride but barely got wet, and took them off for subsequent rides. This past may however was terrible in terms of getting absolutely soaked. We wore cheap ponchos that we brought with up from home and when we got off the people getting on, seeing how soaked we were, said they would give us $5 per poncho. We gave them to them for free
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: