Quantcast New Disney's Hollywood Studios logo Unveiled & Name Change Date Specified

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default New Disney's Hollywood Studios logo Unveiled & Name Change Date Specified

Moving toward the big name change coming up in January, Walt Disney World has unveiled the new logo for Disney's Hollywood Studios -- featuring Mickey Mouse holding a clapboard.

The logo replaces the MGM lion logo that has graced Disney-MGM Studios since it opened in 1989. "Mickey still plays a prominent role for us," said Studios vice president Michael O'Grattan, "and Hollywood now truly is our middle name." Even as it announced the name change back in August, Disney revealed several entertainment changes that will debut at about the same time.

The new "Toy Story Mania"! ride -- the only major attraction currently under construction or announced at Walt Disney World -- will open.
    The current Disney Stars and Motor Cars parade will be replaced with "Block Party Bash," a higher-energy play, party and dance show that has been a hit at Walt Disney Co.'s California Adventure theme park in California. In addition, new characters from Playhouse Disney, notably those from Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, Little Einsteins and Handy Manny, will perform in the "Playhouse Disney-Live On Stage!" show. And this fall's release of the new Disney Channel movie Disney High School Musical 2: School's Out will coincide with a new theme-park street show to replace the existing "High School Musical Pep Rally."

The name change not only gives the park a broader, updated image, as Disney officials maintain, but also drops a name that caused some legal problems in the 1990s.

Disney officials insist that dispute, with Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Inc., is behind them and had no bearing on the decision to rename the park. In the 1990s, Disney and MGM were locked in lawsuits for many years over the name, until courts ruled that Disney could continue using the name at Walt Disney World.
    The name MGM was originally adopted for the park through a 1985 licensing agreement with the MGM and some related corporations. In addition to giving Disney rights to the name, the contract offered rights to some of the more famous images and characters from famous MGM movies such as The Wizard of Oz.

However, in the 1990s the two corporations sparred off and on over Disney's use of the name. In 1992, a Los Angeles Superior Court judge ruled that Disney retained rights to the name for Disney-MGM Studios at Walt Disney World. Another ruling in 1997 concluded that MGM had rights to the name in most other uses.

Even after the name change, Disney will continue to use some MGM properties. posted by Scott Powers (Orlando Sentinel) on Oct 25, 2007 11:07:41 AM
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Arrow

In addition to the image release, it has also the exact date of the name changed has been specified beyond "January 2008".

Here's the Press Release:

LIGHTS, CAMERA... LOGO!

Walt Disney World Resort Press Release

October 25, 2007

Disney-MGM Studios transitions to a new name -- Disney's Hollywood Studios -- effective Jan. 7, 2008. On Oct. 25, 2007, Walt Disney World Resort unveiled the new official logo the renamed theme park will take. The bright, new logo features a clapboard-holding Mickey Mouse. "Mickey still plays a prominent role for us," said Studios vice-president Michael O'Grattan, "and Hollywood now truly is our middle name."
    Figment! aka Jason ºoº
    INTERCOT STAFF
    News, Rumours & Imagineering
    Dining
    Vacations Beyond Disney

~It’s what us storytellers do; we restore order with imagination, we instill hope again and again~

~We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things~

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Eh.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Eh.

The logo doesn't do much for me.
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

I like it!

I think it's long overdue to lose the MGM from the park name.

Here's to looking forward by remembering DISNEY'S Hollywood past, instead of MGM's.
    Marker from MO

Post Thanks / Like

I like it too. It does a good job of combining Disney with the look of old Hollywood.
    Nov-Dec 2005- Port Orleans Riverside First Trip
    April - May 2007 - Port Orleans Riverside
    Nov-Dec 2007 - Wilderness Lodge for 40th Birthday
    April 2008 - Wilderness Lodge
    Next Trip - Nov-Dec 2010 - Wilderness Lodge for Mother's 75th Birthday

Post Thanks / Like

I get this really nice old time feel from it... the old glamour of the font is fun. I enjoy it!
    -Stacey

"There is a natural hootchy-kootchy motion to a goldfish.”

"To all who come to this happy place, welcome." -Walter Elias Disney

Post Thanks / Like

I think that people will still casually call it "MGM Studios", or even "MGM"... that's what we do.
    ºoº Matt | DisFan01 ºoº

"Playful spooks have interrupted our tour..."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PirateLover View Post

The logo doesn't do much for me.
    agree.
    and not much "new" that im interested in except for the Toy story ride depending on how it turns out.
    maybe if that NBC ride rumor were true or something..
    or the animation studio returned.
    Ill give them the benefit of the doubt for now
    BC 2
    WL CL 1
    AKL 4
    SOG 3
    POFQ 3
    POR 2
    CSR 4
    CBR 2
    Asp 3
    AS m 2
    POP 7
    12-13 WL CSR ASM
    3-14 POR, AS s Dolphin
    6-14 Us CSR
    1-14 Unv
    6-15 WL, SSR.
    11- 15. AOA, OKw
    7 16..CSR, FW, AKL, POR
    7 17..ASM, CSR, WL AKL club POP
    8 18 As sports, Pop
    DL 9-19
    DVC WL, CSR and idk 10-20

Post Thanks / Like

I really like the new logo too!

Post Thanks / Like

I like the logo - it's the name change that I'm having trouble with. I think it will difficult for me to change my thinking and will call it MGM for a long time to come.
    Kathy ºoº

LET'S GO BUCS!

Next trip - June '14

Past trips:
    6/13, 4/13, 7/12, 7/11, 1/11, 8/10, 7/09, 3/09, 8/08, 8/07, 12/06, 9/05, 7/03, 7/98, 5/96, 8/93, '70's X 2

Post Thanks / Like

When I first looked at the new logo, I didn't like it, but after coming back to it a couple times, it's starting to grow on me!
    Kristen :)

March 1999 - All Star Movies
    October 2001 - POR
    October 2003 - Contemporary
    March 2004 - POP
    October 2004 - SSR
    Feb 2005 - OKW
    May 2006 - BCV, October 2006 - POLY/VWL
    Feb 07 - SSR , April/May 2007 - BCV
    Dec 2007 - SSR
    Aug 2008 - Cont., Oct 2008 - BWL

488.22 miles from Walt Dinsey World - Alabama
    Post Thanks / Like

I like the new logo. I'm in the category of people who will probably still be calling it MGM because that's what I've always called it. It takes me time to adjust.
    At least 14 trips before 1988
    Off-site - 3-92
    Off-site - 2-01
    ASM - 5-02, 7-03
    CBR - 11-05, 2-10
    Off-site - 2-06
    Pop - 6-06, 2-08
    Poly -12-07
    Cor. S. - 6-2010
    Cor.S. - 10-11

"A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Marker View Post
    Here's to looking forward by remembering DISNEY'S Hollywood past, instead of MGM's.
    Sorry ... I guess I don't get your point here.

They're changing the name of the place, not the contents. It will be a park called "Disney's Hollywood Studios" filled with attractions based around MGM properties?

Makes no sense ... the logo I could care less about. It's okay, I guess. I just think the entire re-naming thing is sort of pointless. I mean if they were going to do what they're doing with DCA, maybe. But to me this is just going to cause confusion with guests who walk in expecting to see something ... well ... Disney.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

To add my full thoughts.. The logo is OK but it's not something that makes me go WOW! And Mickey just doesn't look right to me, like something is missing. Maybe if he had an old timey director's hat to fit the old timey font? I dunno.
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

With the Studios much like with DCA Disney is in Salvage mode as far as I'm concerned. Both parks lacked or lost their identities and became unimaginative and boring very quickly. They are looking at what stays and what goes most of the attractions will be in the scrap heap. The only thing that kind of saves the Studios is the fact it's grouped in with 3 other parks and in more of a destination resort than DCA.

As for logo it's ok but nothing special, it will be interesting to see if DCA comes out with a similar logo to link the parks.
    Jeff (aka JPL)
    Former VMK alias figgiefig
    Intercot Staff
    Disney Tech - Software, Games & Web
    The Locker Room
    Disney Vacation Club

[email protected]

"Remember it all started with a Mouse"

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

ºoº David, Lisa, Aaron and Allison
    98-PO
    00-CB & ASMo
    01-Swan
    02-CS
    03-POR
    04-POP
    05-PO / CR
    07-PO / CR
    08-ASMu
    09-AKL
    10-CR, CS & PP DL
    11-NB DLP & SSR
    12-BLT & BLT
    13-GC DL & BLT
    15-Aulani & BLT
    16-ASMu & GC DL
    17-BWI, THV, CSR, BLT
    18-BLT, OKW, OKW, CBR, GF & BLT

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

It will be a park called "Disney's Hollywood Studios" filled with attractions based around MGM properties?
    Ok, correct me if I'm wrong (like I needed to say that ), but the main thing that is MGM properties would be some of the scenes in The Great Movie Ride. Ok, I know there is also the "Singin' In The Rain" umbrella that you can take your picture with, but I really can't think of any other MGM property, except the name.

And, I'm not trying to bring up an old, often heated, topic but if they had to change out those scenes from The Great Movie Ride, it would eliminate all MGM references. If we want it to be more "Disney", then put Disney owned properties in TMGR. And other Disney Live Action references around the park. Just my opinion of course.

But to me this is just going to cause confusion with guests who walk in expecting to see something ... well ... Disney.
    Well, if the name change causes people to be confused..... maybe they are just confused to begin with.
    Marker from MO

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by JPL View Post
    With the Studios much like with DCA Disney is in Salvage mode as far as I'm concerned. Both parks lacked or lost their identities and became unimaginative and boring very quickly. They are looking at what stays and what goes most of the attractions will be in the scrap heap. The only thing that kind of saves the Studios is the fact it's grouped in with 3 other parks and in more of a destination resort than DCA.
    Wow, makes feel kind of foolish for liking that park.

Could it be better, sure. And I think it lost something when its use as a production studio went away. But I still like the park, and look forward to going there each trip. Even with the name change, I think I'll still like it.
    Marker from MO

Post Thanks / Like

I like the new sign. The name will grow over time I am sure. I just hopes that this can open a whole list of new rides and options for this park. This park has gotten better over the years but can do so much more.
    When is Toy Story opening??
    91 Off Site
    FT. Wilderness
    12/98 12/99
    12/00 12/01
    1/04 1/14
    ALL STAR SPORTS
    11/02 3/10
    ALL STAR MOVIES 12/04
    SSR
    10/05 2/07
    1/08 10/8 1/09 6/09 12/09 12/10 1/12 1/13