Quantcast Up or Down??? - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Up or Down???

Post Thanks / Like

I say "up" because on the map, you have to go "up" to get to the castle. The entrance is at the bottom of the page.
    ~ Carolyn ~ aka "CANADA!"
    Every year since 1979! Annual Passholder in CANADA!

* Old Key West
    * Saratoga Springs
    * Boardwalk
    * Coronado Springs
    * Contemporary & Bay Lake Tower
    * Caribbean Beach
    * Port Orleans Riverside
    * Fort Wilderness
    * Pop Century
    * All Star Music Movies & Sports

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I walk down Main Street USA to the Castle
    Next WDW Trip: July 13 - 22, 2016 Wilderness Lodge

"There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow shining at the end of every day!"

"Let's Don't be Silly..." - The Mad Hatter

Post Thanks / Like

I am now totally confused. .....everyone's reasoning seems legit. I guess if I were to be having a general conversation with someone, I'm pretty sure I would say ....." I'm gonna walk DOWN mainstreet". ( both entering & leaving MK )
    June 1985 - Disneyland
    Before 2005 - 8 x offsite (WDW)
    Nov. 2005 - All Star Sport
    Sept. 2006 - Fort Wild. Cabins
    Nov. 17-25, 2007 - Fort Wild. Cabins

Next trip MARDI GRAS 2009
    Feb. 21 - March 1, 2009

Post Thanks / Like

I would say also that you would walk down main street to exit.
    Pimpin aint dead.... its just renamed.... Frozen.

Bristol, TN but currently in Walland, TN in our motorhome
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by To WDW and beyond View Post
    When walking towards the Castle in the Magic Kingdom, do you walk up or down Main Street?
    Personally, who cares, so long as you're at the Magic Kingdom?!?!? (Just kidding--please don't take offense.)

I think of it as walking up Main Street when I'm heading towards the castle and down Main Street when I'm heading back towards the entrance.

Suzanne Q
    Bristol, TN
    Off site 1973 (ressies @ Ft W but locked our keys in trunk & couldn't get to our tent)
    Off site 1975, 1983, & 1987
    All Star-Dec 2004
    Ft Wilderness Cabins-May 2005
    All Star & Contemporary-Dec 2006-Jan 2007
    Ft Wilderness CG, Oct-Dec 2007
    Pop Century-Dec 2008
    Next up: Pop Century, Oct 15 - 30, 2009

Post Thanks / Like

Actually, now that I've given this a little more thought, I've come to the following conclusions:

-Main Street is a two way street. Therefore, it goes both up and down.
    -Towards the castle is "up" and towards the train station is "down", as evidenced on the Official Map.
    -However, I think in spoken terms many people will simply say they are walking TO the castle. As in, "let's go to the castle."

I will come back to edit this post if the need arises based on further thought.
    Disney World: 10/92 Yacht Club, 11/96 Disney Institute, 12/00 Yacht Club, 6/05 Beach Club, 8/06 Shades of Green, 8/07 Caribbean Beach Resort, 10/07 Coronado Springs, 12/08 French Quarter, 3/10 All Star Sports, 4/12 Port Orleans Riverside

Disneyland: 1987, 1997, 2002, 2008, 2010, 2013

Post Thanks / Like

I think that you go UP Main Street to the castle, and DOWN Main Street to the exit
    I've been going to WDW since birth, and now I work there.
    Proud Baton Twirler!
    "Oh look, my tax dollars at work coming to arrest me, " Reily Pool, NT2
    Go UCF and UF!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dteed View Post
    We always say "down the street," no matter which direction we are going.
    Agreed! Technically you are walking "Up" but I've never heard anyone say I'm taking a stroll up the street. So I walk "down" Main St. whether I'm coming OR going!
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

I go up Main St and then over to Frontierland. Or up Main St and over to Tomorrowland etc.
    ºoºKathyºoº TimeShare 12-12
    GKTW June 2011,Off site Feb/March 2011
    Dolphin and POFQ 8/10
    POFQ Sept 08
    ASMu Aug-Sept 07
    Dolphin & CS-12/05. Mousefest & Dis Cruise
    Dolphin & POR July 04,WDW-Dolphin June 02Dolphin 6/2000
    Swan 6/99 -Dolphin March 98, March 94
    +many more times offsite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dteed View Post
    We always say "down the street," no matter which direction we are going.
    Same with us. I think it's just how you talk which you use. I am "up" when I first get to the park and and truely "down" when I must leave, but either way I walk down Main St.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=. Also why would the singers on Main Street sing that they are walking right down the middle of main street when they are traveling towards the station from the castle?!

Please help to resolve our issues!!!
    [/QUOTE]

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think the singers walk towards the castle when they sing that song. It seems like I remember them going that way.

I think I have said before"I love when you go in and you're walking DOWN Mainstreet and you see the castle" and then when I leave I just say " leaving the park".
    1973 FW(in mom's womb)1974-1994 too many! FW1997,1998, 2000 WL Jan.2001, CS June 2001, FW 2002, 2004, July 2005-No Kids!, CS Nov 2005 Free Lady Emily Trip, AM May 2006, FW Dec-Jan 2006-2007, FW June 2009, House off site 2012, FW Spring Break 2013, FW Spring Break 2016, Staybridge 2018 No kids! AP

Post Thanks / Like

I popped in my Disneyland Fun DVD, purely for informative reasons, and saw the train station in the background as mary was singing that she was walking right DOWN the middle of Main Street USA, so hey, gotta go with Mary, eh?

Down the street = down towards the castle

DON'T MESS WITH MARY POPPINS... she's practically perfect in every way.

Oh, and it was consistent for the entire song, they never turned around and walked back the other way.
    The only life I can think of that would be worse than being a special needs mom is not being one...

Poly (04), WL (06), BC (07), AoA (20)
    DL (74, 75, 83, 87, 98, 07, 09. 10)

Magical Journeys is the ONLY way to go!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm on Main Street and I go both ways. Depending on where I am standing and my mood at the time, I can go Up to the Movie Theater if I am at Casey's Corner or I can go Down to City Hall, if I am in front of the statue of Mickey and Walt.
    Either way - I am so happy to be there.
    dm2K
    1993 - BC/Cruise; 1996 - BC; 1998 - BC; 2000 - YC; 2002 - FQ; 2004 - Campground/BC; 2005 - POR; 2007 - BWI; 2008 - AKL; Christmas 2010 - BC; 2011 - All Star Sports; 2012 - AKL & WL; 2013 - DL and CSR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by casey@bat View Post
    Correct me if I am wrong, but I think the singers walk towards the castle when they sing that song. It seems like I remember them going that way.
    There have been occassions where we have seen these singing trolley people going both ways on Main Street.
    We have seen them singing from the Emporium towards the castle and singing from the castle towards the station, but still singing, "I'm walking right down the middle of Main Street USA."

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Actually I'd never really thought about it before.

Unless there is an actual hill involved, I think "walking down the street" is generic and does not imply any particular direction.

However, if I were to label it one way or the other, I say walking towards the castle as up, and then "down" to be toward the train station and exit, as in "down and out".

Or, if you look at a map of MK, the direction going towards the castle is UP on the map, and towards the train station is DOWN on the map.

But I don't think I can truly give a fair assessment without actually examining the situation first hand. So, in the name of research, I think I'd better make a plan to head to Main Street to check it out for myself.
    Marker from MO

Post Thanks / Like

Now correct me if I am wrong. But if memory serves me correct, when my DS was around 2(almost 11 years ago)he had a Disney sing a long tape that had a song on it that used the words "Walking right down the middle of Main Stret USA". So if these are in fact the words ( I will check tonight when I get home and pull out the Disney Tape to confirm) then you do walk down main street. In the video they are walking from the entrance to the main castle passing the stores.
    Either way does it really matter when you are in the MK? As far as I am concerned your walking in to Happiness and walking out to __. (well you fil in the blank with what ever fits for you)
    91 Off Site
    FT. Wilderness
    12/98 12/99
    12/00 12/01
    1/04 1/14
    ALL STAR SPORTS
    11/02 3/10
    ALL STAR MOVIES 12/04
    SSR
    10/05 2/07
    1/08 10/8 1/09 6/09 12/09 12/10 1/12 1/13
    DISNEY VACATION CLUB OWNER04
    Animal kingdom villas
    3/11

Post Thanks / Like

I think I may just walk backwards on Mainstreet from now on.

I am with the people who said it's down both ways. Which ever side I am on I say lets walk DOWN Mainstreet.

Or maybe it is UP going to the Castle because your sprit is UP because you just got there and have all day to spend at MK and DOWN to the exits because you feel DOWN because your day at MK is over.
    Off Site-- All Star Movies-- Pop Century-- Coronado Springs-- Port Orleans French Quarter
    Walt Disney-"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."

Charleston, SC- 395.4 miles/6 hrs. & 15 min. from WDW
    Post Thanks / Like

I've never really put much thought into it as to why, but we always say "up" when we are headed toward the Castle and "down" when we are leaving. Maybe cuz it's such a downer to leave!
    Tara °O°

AP holder since '03 and DVC owner since '08

Next Up:
    April '10--DH, DS11, and me--Spring break/Saratoga Springs Resort/ Flower and Garden Festival

488.22 miles from Walt Dinsey World - Alabama
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EJS-Houston View Post
    I just watched a History Channel documentary about WDW in anticipation of being there in 2 weeks...and they talked about how the public areas of the park are all built up as if they're the 2nd or 3rd stories of a building, with the tunnel system for Disney cast members lying 14 feet below on the 1st story as it were...hence the reason you have to walk up an incline (if my memory serves correctly) to get into the park...and therefore (yes, I do eventually address the thread topic <G>) you walk UP Main Street toward Cinderella's castle, since you have to literally walk up to enter the park from the Transportation Center.
    I recently read this same thing. They also mentioned that the downward slope as you leave was done to help with tired feet at the end of the day.
    At least 14 trips before 1988
    Off-site - 3-92
    Off-site - 2-01
    ASM - 5-02, 7-03
    CBR - 11-05, 2-10
    Off-site - 2-06
    Pop - 6-06, 2-08
    Poly -12-07
    Cor. S. - 6-2010
    Cor.S. - 10-11

"A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes"

Post Thanks / Like

I'm walking right down the middle of main street USA
    The trolley show starts at the town square and moves towards the castle and the cast members sing" I'm walking right down the middle of main street USA"
    So... if the CM's walk DOWN main street to the castle...then so do I.

much mouse

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: