Quantcast Rumour: Space Mountain Major Refurb

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Rumour: Space Mountain Major Refurb

Screamscape has published that there is a rumour that Space Mt will close down in Jun of 2008 for a major, one-year refurb.

Personally, I'd be willing to forego riding the ride for a year if it would bring WDW's version up to the upgraded DisneyLand version.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Been hearing that one around a lot lately. In fact, no need to go to Screamscape for it ... someone mentioned that here like a week ago.

I agree with you ... I'd forego it for a year if they brought in DL's version, which is vastly superior.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

This was reported here a while back I think as far back as last spring when the information came in from my source. I laso know a few SM CM's have been moved to different attractions or are training on different attraction to work whils it's down. This is definatley a bit more than a rumour it's more of when will it go and exactly what will they do to it.

The same speculation that took place with the Mansion when it was scheduled to go down. I just hope we don't have the same impossible they would never close it that long and at time discussions again. At times I really wish we could disclose our sources but then the flow information would stop.

I have January 2008 as the month it will go down right after the holiday rush. I have herad information about it being closed for 12-18 months to complete the refurbishments. Of course as I will state with all information I get before it is officially announced it is all subject to change up until and sometimes even after the announcement.
    Jeff (aka JPL)
    Former VMK alias figgiefig
    Intercot Staff
    Disney Tech - Software, Games & Web
    The Locker Room
    Disney Vacation Club

[email protected]

"Remember it all started with a Mouse"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JPL View Post
    I have January 2008 as the month it will go down right after the holiday rush. I have herad information about it being closed for 12-18 months to complete the refurbishments.
    This is the information I remember reading about, quite sometime ago, probably in this forum.
    Genna
    Always Enjoy the
    ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨Magic¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨

"Now approaching, Mickey's Star Traders"

If You Can Read This...
    ...Thank The Phoenicians!

mttafire Guest

I always contact my buddy on Orlano Fire when it comes to Disney rumors...He says " Yep, You can bet your bottom dollar that S.M. WILL be closed for 1 year starting in 08."
    Now, This is NOT official obviously but he does seem to have some credibility. He aint been wrong yet..

mttafire Guest

Quote Originally Posted by JPL View Post
    This was reported here a while back I think as far back as last spring when the information came in from my source. I laso know a few SM CM's have been moved to different attractions or are training on different attraction to work whils it's down. This is definatley a bit more than a rumour it's more of when will it go and exactly what will they do to it.

The same speculation that took place with the Mansion when it was scheduled to go down. I just hope we don't have the same impossible they would never close it that long and at time discussions again. At times I really wish we could disclose our sources but then the flow information would stop.

I have January 2008 as the month it will go down right after the holiday rush. I have herad information about it being closed for 12-18 months to complete the refurbishments. Of course as I will state with all information I get before it is officially announced it is all subject to change up until and sometimes even after the announcement.
    Hopefully this IS a go. D.L. version of Space M. is AWSOME. If the M.K. does do this, Then they will have refurbed almost all of their "main" attractions.

Post Thanks / Like

It also makes sense with the timing of the BTMRR rehab, ensuring the other major coaster can go the year or two Space Mtn will be down.

What about Splash, though? I heard Splash might be in for a little refurb in January. They surely won't close their two most popular rides at once. Maybe a quickie Splash refurb after Christmas and then Space goes down in February or March, still giving it enough time to reopen for summer 2009?
    Walt Disney World:
    93, PO FQ
    94-95, Caribbean
    96, Off Site
    99, Coronado
    00, Caribbean
    03, Poly & Wilderness Lodge
    04, Pop Cent
    06, Contemp
    07, Beach Club
    07, Pop Cent
    09, Pop Cent
    10, Off Site
    11, PO FQ
    12, Coronado
    13, Off Site
    14, PO FQ
    16, PO RS

Only 1110.89 miles...

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a little surprised that they'll close SM for an entire year. I can see them close in Jan and then reopen in June...one year seems like an awful long time.
    Have no clue 1983
    Days Inn 1992
    Value Movies 2002
    Value Music 2003
    Value Movies 2004
    DisneyLand 2005
    Value Pop July 2006
    Coronodo Springs 2008

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thrillme View Post
    I'm a little surprised that they'll close SM for an entire year. I can see them close in Jan and then reopen in June...one year seems like an awful long time.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the DLR version down for about 2 years while getting its amazing refub? I hadn't ever been before (the refurb), but the new version is AMAZING! Yeah, I'll miss riding it Jan 2009, but when I go back again, it will be AWESOME! Doing what they did to DLR, 6 months is not nearly enough time.

And I don't like hearing about all that "Why not have it closed during off season" stuff. Well, this past weekend, I have to say, I've never seen Epcot and AK that crowded... EVER! I'm sure most will agree that last Saturday, Epcot was WILD. So, there really isn't an "off season" anymore, and I believe it.

It will be a welcome refurb, and no matter how long it takes, I will happily wait.
    Morgan- DVC, AP, Perfect Princess, Married at Disney
    Off-site * POFQ * ASMu * POR * FW * BWI/V * Dolphin * AKL-Jambo/Kidani * WL * ASSp * Swan * POP * CBR * OKW * CSR * ASMo * BLT * SSR * AoA * DCL-Platinum * DLParis * DLR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyDudet View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the DLR version down for about 2 years while getting its amazing refub?

Correct DLR closed SM for aproximately 2 years and gutted the entire ride system and rebuilt it from scratch. Still no word on this is what WDW will be getting. Just remember everyone doubted that they would close the Mansion and keep it closed for the entire summer the same was true when news of SSE came about with people saying it would not be closed during busy season. Sometimes there is just no good time to close something in order to get the job done especially when it needs to be a lengthy refurb.
    Jeff (aka JPL)
    Former VMK alias figgiefig
    Intercot Staff
    Disney Tech - Software, Games & Web
    The Locker Room
    Disney Vacation Club

[email protected]

"Remember it all started with a Mouse"

Post Thanks / Like

We didn't make it on Space Mountain at DLR when we were there this past June, but I would have liked to have been able to.

It may not take them as long to redo Space Mountain at Magic Kingdom since they have the experience of having already redone Disneyland's. Hopefully if they do shut it down for work, it'll be running by our planned 2009 trip.
    Steve (aka brownie)
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations & Mousellaneous
    ASMv 4/00, 10/01, 11/03, 5/21
    ASMu 8/12, 11-12/22
    AKL 6/18
    BC 9/94
    CSR 8/14, 3-4/22
    POP 11-12/10, 3/12, 10/12, 7/17, 4/22
    POFQ 10/01
    POR 9/04, 1/16, 11/19
    WL 12/03
    Disneyland 6/07, 1/15
    Disney Dream 8/14

Post Thanks / Like

I will definately be visiting the week before the ride goes down. I don't know if I will be able to stand not going on my new favorite ride for a year.
    ŴĐŴ∫âňăŧĭć aka David ºoº

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, 3,808.63 KM from the Magic Kingdom!
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Red Randal View Post
    It also makes sense with the timing of the BTMRR rehab, ensuring the other major coaster can go the year or two Space Mtn will be down.

What is BTMRR? I know when I hear I'll smack my forehead.

*added a few second later*

I got it. Big Thunder Mountain. DUH!
    Walt was ½ Canadian!

DL, Aug 97; DL, Jul 01; DL, Aug 05; DL, Jan 06; WDW, Oct 06; DL, Dec 06; WDW, Nov 07; DL, Dec 07; DL, Jun 08; DL, Feb 09; DLP, Apr 09; DL, Sep 09; TDL, Oct 09; DL, Jun 10; WDW, Oct, 10; WDW, May, 13; WDW, Sep 14; HKDL, Sep 15, WDW, Mar 17; WDW Jan 19.

Post Thanks / Like

Plus they need to plan around Jungle Cruise going under for rehab as well. At least our favorite attractions are getting treatment.
    ŴĐŴ∫âňăŧĭć aka David ºoº

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thrillme View Post
    Well...if its something that takes at least a year, they can't too well open it half way through it. Yes, I'm sure Disney would prefer to have one of their most popular rides open during busy season, but that would mean they could never really upgrade the ride.

Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you!

CaptainJessicaSparrow Guest

BTMRR = Big Thunder Mountain Railroad.

There are still off seasons, when the times are slower. It just depends on the year. There are a lot of factors that can affect tourism to WDW.

But SM needs the update, it's great but getting old.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, this past weekend, I have to say, I've never seen Epcot and AK that crowded... EVER! I'm sure most will agree that last Saturday, Epcot was WILD.
    I don't know about that. From the perspective of someone who has made many trips during the summer and Christmas week, this weekend was a WONDERFUL time to be at any of the parks. AK was mobbed on Monday, I'll admit, but we did just about every major Epcot attraction with little to no wait on Saturday morning. World Showcase was mobbed for the Food & Wine Festival in the afternoon and night though. I think that had more to do with it than anything else.

Also, on a completely unrelated (to the above) note, this might be a ridiculous and insane idea, but is there any way to refurb one side of the ride and not the other, then switch when the first side is done? I'm think it is almost surely "no" but I just thought I'd throw that out there.
    Walt Disney World:
    93, PO FQ
    94-95, Caribbean
    96, Off Site
    99, Coronado
    00, Caribbean
    04, Pop Cent
    06, Contemp
    07, Beach Club
    07, Pop Cent
    09, Pop Cent
    10, Off Site
    11, PO FQ
    12, Coronado
    13, Off Site
    14, PO FQ
    16, PO RS

Only 1110.89 miles...

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Red Randal View Post
    Also, on a completely unrelated (to the above) note, this might be a ridiculous and insane idea, but is there any way to refurb one side of the ride and not the other, then switch when the first side is done? I'm think it is almost surely "no" but I just thought I'd throw that out there.
    Interesting thought ... probably depends on what, exactly, they're going to do.

I wouldn't be horribly shocked to see them end up with a longer coaster and only one side. If memory serves, I don't think DL has two sides. Although honestly I really don't remember.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Interesting thought ... probably depends on what, exactly, they're going to do.

I wouldn't be horribly shocked to see them end up with a longer coaster and only one side. If memory serves, I don't think DL has two sides. Although honestly I really don't remember.
    No, DLR doesn't have two sides. There is one ride track. It took up the entire building and the new version is just so massive, that I don't think taking down one side is even possible.

They would need to make sure that is the only ride down, and hopefully not to many other attractions break down. It would need to be down for a long time, so I don't think they can avoid a busy season.

And RedRandall, I have been at Christmas and in the summer, and I have personally never seen Epcot or AK that crowded in my other 12 trips. It may be a matter of perspective, and I know the F&WF was the main reason, but still, not having room to move around on my way to Norway for the Mickey Meet and there not being any available space anywhere... that's crowded. Crowds I've never encountered before.
    Morgan- DVC, AP, Perfect Princess, Married at Disney
    Off-site * POFQ * ASMu * POR * FW * BWI/V * Dolphin * AKL-Jambo/Kidani * WL * ASSp * Swan * POP * CBR * OKW * CSR * ASMo * BLT * SSR * AoA * DCL-Platinum * DLParis * DLR

Post Thanks / Like

And RedRandall, I have been at Christmas and in the summer, and I have personally never seen Epcot or AK that crowded in my other 12 trips. It may be a matter of perspective, and I know the F&WF was the main reason, but still, not having room to move around on my way to Norway for the Mickey Meet and there not being any available space anywhere... that's crowded. Crowds I've never encountered before.
    Honestly, I intended on devoting my entire afternoon to the F&WF but when it became evident that it was going to take me longer to get two bites of chicken than it did to get on Test Track, I decided it was time to hit the road so we spent the afternoon at MGM. When we got back we only went from the International Gateway to Innoventions, then back to France for the Illuminations party. I noticed the UK was absolutely mobbed, but once I fought through the crowds outside Rose & Crown, I had no trouble getting across the bridge.

The morning was mostly empty IMO around Future World. I guess it's just a matter of who was where and when.

I guess I lucked out on the Epcot crowd. AK was admittedly a zoo, however, on Monday morning.

**Edited to add that I had literally no intention to word that last sentence that way, but now I think it's hilarious.**
    Walt Disney World:
    93, PO FQ
    94-95, Caribbean
    96, Off Site
    99, Coronado
    00, Caribbean
    04, Pop Cent
    06, Contemp
    07, Beach Club
    07, Pop Cent
    09, Pop Cent