Quantcast DLR -- DCA Expansion/Renovation Discussion [merged] - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Disney's World of Color
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I think that Cars land is wierd too ... but I suppose it's better than changing the name of California Adventure to Pixarland.
    Michael aka: NotaGeek

INTERCOT Insider Live Podcast Staff
    WDW 1/6/16 - 1/11/16 - BRING ON THE COWBELLS!

Please s
    upport INTERCOT Sponsors!

Post Thanks / Like

I LOVE California Adventure, it has started to really grow on me since i became an annual pass holder and i'm there so often. At first i thought it lacked the Disney feel but now i've come to love and accept it as a nice companion park to Disneyland.
    Sure i've always thought the park could be a bit bigger with some better rides but i really like the California theme and i hope they stick with that still. I get excited walking through that park now and i have many happy memories there already.
    I hope the changes are GOOD because if not, i know many people who will be dissapointed.
    Ariel
    Disneyland Annual Pass Holder

VMK Name: IzzyInWonderland

1996-Disneyland Hotel
    1998-Disneyland Hotel
    2002-WDW All-Star Music Resort

COUNTLESS TRIPS TO DLR BUT ONLY 1 TRIP TO WDW

Post Thanks / Like

The Disney owned ABC station in Los Angeles did a story this afternoon that featured more renderings (similar to what Jason posted) as well as some video of models. There are also some interviews there. The story is posted on their website under entertainment videos.
    Chris °O°
    DISNEYLAND AP - First visit 1969

WALT DISNEY WORLD - First visit 1985
    HONG KONG DISNEYLAND - First visit 2005
    SHANGHAI DISNEYLAND - First visit 2016
    DISNEY DREAM CRUISE - First Cruise March 2019
    FUTURE + WORLD SHOWCASE = EPCOT (Favorite WDW park)

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for all the news. It is downright crazy but the new management is admitting the problem. Euro Disney was a fiasco too so lots of tinkering was needed. So too California Adventure is in need of something. Hope these plans help...
    ~~Have a Disney Day~~
    șoș WDW 9-83, 9-84, 9-88, 9-93, 5-94, 5-95, 5-96, 9-99, 9-07
    șoș TDL 6-83, 9-91
    șoș DLR many, many

Post Thanks / Like

Default So Happy & Excited

Although it's a long way off (five years), I have to say I am so excited about all the upcoming changes at DCA. I don't post a lot, but I am first and foremost a Disneyland fan. I enjoy WDW, but there's nothing like Disneyland to really juice up the magic. This will make DLR a several day destination and the crowds will come which may inspire them to build that very controversial third gate!

I have put my trust in John Lasseter to really make California Adventure (or whatever they eventually rename it) a destination unto itself. If he can't do it, no one can!

Let's go John!

ps, I'm also happy to see that many of the renderings that were in the 2007 Annual Report are directly related to DCA! So many speculated that it would be attractions for WDW.

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if the Little Mermaid ride will be similar to the rendering on the Little Mermaid DVD. I certainly hope so, as both of my kids loved the rendering and made me watch it more than a few times.
    March '04 - BCV
    Sep '04 - VWL
    Oct '05 - SSR
    Sep '06 - Disneyland PPH 1/2 Marathon

Dallas, TX (1424.06 miles from the Disneyland Resort)
    Post Thanks / Like

While I have always enjoyed DCA, I am excited about the upcoming changes.

I will be sad to see the Maliboomer go.

I think Carsland is the worst name ever.

I really don't see the need for a lot of the changes, just think of how many new rides we could have if the billion dollars was spent on new attractions only...

Post Thanks / Like

Having only been to DCA once in 2002, I'm not an expert on the park. But I really enjoyed the day I spent there. I disagree that it feels like a non-disney park. No, it doesn't have the same magic as Disneyland but it has the Disney upkeep and attention to detail. I like the California theming so I hope that doesn't change too much.

I agree Carsland is a bad name but some of the attractions sound good.

It is good to see the new regime investing so much in the parks!
    "Jammin' in the jungle to the rhythm of one!"

Proud mom of Elias - born Sept 2008!

WDW College Program Alum-Fall 2001

I runDisney - 2010 DL Half, 2012 Coast to Coast DL Half and Wine & Dine, 2014 Tinker Bell Half, 2014 Avengers Half, 2015 Pixie Dust Challenge, 2015 Dumbo Double Dare

Post Thanks / Like

California Adventure has grown on me. I still think it is missing the Disney magic and I am very excited for the expansion. I hope they do bring Walt's history into the park.

One question... Where are they going to get the 12 acres they are talking about to do the expansion? All I can think of is the parking lot. They redid their parking to create the Calif Adventure Park originally and if they do use the parking lot, where are they going to park the cars???
    Disneyland many trips as a child
    Disney World 83 & 91
    Disneyland 94, 96, 99, 02, 03, 05
    Disneyland Grand Californian 2000 Holiday time
    Disney World Nov 06
    Disneyland 07 Holiday time
    Disneyland 08 June and Holiday time
    Disney World June 09
    Disneyland 09 Holiday time
    Disneyland 2010 June

Post Thanks / Like

Count me as one of those people who really like DCA. I think it's a nice little park and gets a bad rap. I spent a very nice day there last week, rode Soarin' twice, enjoyed Monsters Inc and Crush for the first time, had a better-than-expected lunch at Ariel's Grotto, and had a great time at the Aladdin show.

That being said, while I will be sad to see the "CALIFORNIA" letters and the Golden Gate Bridge go, I can live without Golden Dreams and the Timon parking lot. And the thought of a Test-Track type ride has me drooling.

So I support the changes, especially if it means it will stop being the "red-headed stepchild" of DLR. After all, look what a few new additions over at AK have done to help that park lessen the "natazu" tag. Even so, I'm glad I had two trips to enjoy this "nice little park" and will have plenty of pics to remind me of the original setup.

WDW:
    1991 (offsite)
    2001 (POR)
    2005 (POFQ)
    2006 (1 day trip to Epcot)
    2010 (POFQ)
    2014 (offsite DTD/Epcot)
    2014 (Holiday trip - Beach Club)
    DL:
    1990 (offsite)
    2003 (Paradise Pier)
    2007 (Grand Californian)
    2012 (Grand Californian)
    DCL:
    2012 (2 night cruise from NYC!)

Post Thanks / Like

Default DCA and Pixar Land

I know I am knew to these boards, so this may seem incredible but I stumbled upon this board. I love Disney and plan to work there, like all of my other siblings have. I live in Southern California, and know many people that work in Disneyland.

I am curious what people on this forum think about the new plans for Disney's California Adventure. It will be a billion dollar project that will be used to just add a few Pixar themed rides...

...it seems they've lost the idea of how to really "theme" their theme parks. The baboons that designed DCA have been assigned to this task too, so what is the protect Disney from a repeat of a failed investment? I just don't understand the concept of throwing money at things.

Personally, I wish that the billion dollars paid for some bulldozers, and either it became an expansion of an existing Disneyland, or an entirely new theme park. The idea of Californians (which occupy the bulk of Disneyland's attendance) visiting a park to experience California has always made me chuckle, but the idea of a billion dollars to develop DCA into Pixar World makes me cry.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tigereyes View Post
    I know I am knew to these boards, so this may seem incredible but I stumbled upon this board. I love Disney and plan to work there, like all of my other siblings have. I live in Southern California, and know many people that work in Disneyland.

I am curious what people on this forum think about the new plans for Disney's California Adventure. It will be a billion dollar project that will be used to just add a few Pixar themed rides...

...it seems they've lost the idea of how to really "theme" their theme parks. The baboons that designed DCA have been assigned to this task too, so what is the protect Disney from a repeat of a failed investment? I just don't understand the concept of throwing money at things.

Personally, I wish that the billion dollars paid for some bulldozers, and either it became an expansion of an existing Disneyland, or an entirely new theme park. The idea of Californians (which occupy the bulk of Disneyland's attendance) visiting a park to experience California has always made me chuckle, but the idea of a billion dollars to develop DCA into Pixar World makes me cry.
    to INTERCOT!

I think that DCA gets the worst rap for being this horrible park ... and to be honest, I love it. I think that it's amazing that the Suits at Disney have admitted that the HUGE corners they cut to build DCA quick were the wrong thing to do, and the fact that they allotted billions to fix it is admirable.

I think that the bulk of people that visit DLR are NOT from California, and the point of the park was to pay homage to the State where all the Magic started. Just think about how many people from all over he world visit Disneyland Resort and NEVER venture further than Harbor Blvd. I think the point was to show them some of the history and beauty of California and to say "thanks" to the Sunshine State for housing Disneyland, WDI and all the fun for so many years. But, that's just my view.

AND ... why do I love DCA? On ANY busy day where you can't take ONE more stroller, bottle neck, or tour group bashing into you ... you just mosey across the Esplanade and you have TONS of room to walk (even when crowded!) and even though the theming isn't perfect, it's comfortable and FUN!

Please s

Post Thanks / Like

The bulk of the money is not being spent to "add a few pixar themed rides"

The bulk of the money is for all new facades and entrance, Little Mermaid ride, new facades on Paradise Pier, new themed vehicles for transportation around the park. The Wonderful World of Color show, new dining, retheming many existing rides and lands.

I too love DCA and feel the money could have been better spent on attractions only and not to retheme a park which I found enjoyable from the day it opened.

DCA is not meant to be Disneyland. It will never live up to the standards set by Disneyland (and neither has any other theme park since). People need to stop comparing it to Disneyland and enjoy it for what it is...

Post Thanks / Like

I love California Adventure too. I hope they don't take away the Orange Spinner (it's my son's favorite!) They already took out my beloved skee ball - yep, we love that boardwalk area with the games. DCA is just such a fun place, I'm excited for the changes but love it as it is.
    As mentioned above, DCA is an homage to all things California - so much so that my son's school sends their entire 4th grade up there so they can 'study' what California has to offer. How cool is that!?!?

2000 - Infinity: DLR Premium Annual Passholder
    Sixty minutes from my front door to Sleeping Beauty's Castle!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MegaDisney View Post
    DCA is not meant to be Disneyland. It will never live up to the standards set by Disneyland (and neither has any other theme park since). People need to stop comparing it to Disneyland and enjoy it for what it is...
    I disagree. Disneyland is not some precedent that cannot be matched, I believe Walt Disney World did so quite well with theme parks like Magic Kingdom, Animal Kingdom, MGM, and especially Epcot.

The magic of Disneyland is in a particular meaning, as it was later inscribed into Disneyland's (and the Magic Kingdom's adaptation) Walt and Mick statue. Upon that statue which I regularly sit it says:

"I believe in our idea of a family park where parents and kids can have fun together" - Walt Disney.

That is the magic of Disneyland. All of the Disney theme parks MUST be held to that standard at all times. Although, in modern times Disneyland and its brother/sister parks have distanced themselves from that dream, it was that idea that was at the heart of Disney's dream for theme park building. Most places in Disneyland and the Walt Disney resort counterparts offer a family experience. Sure, there are polarizing attractions like Mission Space, arguably the World Showcase, and Rock Roller Coaster/Tower of Terror. However, it has always been theming which united these elements of the parks.

When California Adventure was built, these ideas that had always subconsciously built into the fabric of Disney theme parks was ignored. It is no wonder the park is a drain on finances and lags in attendance. I have a four year old niece, and its a drag to bring her over to DCA. She can't go on the fun rides, she's too small or doesn't get anything out of them. And Playhouse Disney is hardly a lunch hour well spent. (At Disneyland, she can ride the Matterhorn and
    Big Thunder as well as classics like Pirates and Mansion).

Now then, I don't believe DCA is compared, at least not by me, for the timeless qualities of Disneyland and the magic of having been built by Walt himself. However, DCA lacks the quality of a "family" park. I don't know many Families that like it, and those that do have kids above the age of 10 and enjoy the park because its comparatively not crowded. I think expecting DCA to, like all other Disney theme parks, to comply with the ideals of a "family park" in the sense of a unifying experience is not a vast leap. DCA has no coherent theming, no unifying message. I've had this debate before, and Epcot was served as an example of a mismatched park. But Epcot is the MOST unified, because its message is very clear. Its message is one of education, about the future and progress as well as global culture. DCA projects no sort of consistency, that is why it not only pails in comparison to Disneyland but also all of the Florida resorts.

Quote Originally Posted by NotaGeek View Post
    I think that the bulk of people that visit DLR are NOT from California, and the point of the park was to pay homage to the State where all the Magic started.
    I am 100% positive that of annual pass holders, which constitute the major income for the park, the bulk (by a large majority I can't seem to remember at this time) are mainly of California residence. This is because Disneyland, unlike Florida, is located in probably the most highly concentrated area of population in the entire country. It is very clear in Disney dynamics that Disneyland caters to SoCal guests, and that Walt Disney World caters to resort guests. The average return of a guest to Disneyland is 3 months, the average return to Walt Disney World is 4 years. This illustrates the localization of Disneyland's market.

This is why they built DCA, to expose Californians to California culture, and no other reason. However, this reason is insane and did not gain support... hence large lags in both profit and attendance.

I hate to say this, but from a business perspective DCA is a money loss and therefore a failure. It needs to be fixed, but having the same people who broke it desperately try and fix it will not solve the problem.

The best illustration I can give of that was already mentioned. Naming a land "Car Land" is just ludicrous... why one wouldn't call it "Radiator Springs" to establish atmosphere is beyond me...

DCA is a failure. I can say its a failure because it isn't a family park, or because its theming doesn't not project a universal message. But the bottom line makes it a failure because its in the red. This is why its being replaced, and they're cashing in on Pixar's success (because Disney has failed to create a unique character in quite a few years) to generate some sort of net to save DCA. This is sad, and the point I was trying to make in my initial post which was merged into this thread.

As mentioned above, DCA is an homage to all things California - so much so that my son's school sends their entire 4th grade up there so they can 'study' what California has to offer. How cool is that!?!?
    Really? I remember when that started, I was the first class to have a go at it. It was sort of like a dry run after it was designed (I knew the person involved, and I happen to be the target age). We (my friend and I, and a small focus group) got dragged all around the park. It was very interesting actually, as California history and history in general drives me wild. I don't think it sells tickets, but it was a great maneuvers to salvage DCA's attendance. Do they still do the walk around questions, because they tried 3 different "trials" on us, and two included a series of questions they asked throughout the tour.

The last was very odd, so I imagine they went with one of those adaptations. Although, honestly I did not know they had kept the program on board. I had heard it was scaled down recently, but had assumed that meant it was due to be eliminated... good to hear otherwise!
    "Fantasy, if it's really convincing, can't become dated, for the simple reason that it represents a flight into a dimension that lies beyond the reach of time." - Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

So, is it fair to assume that you in fact DO NOT like DCA?

We get it, BUT, do you really think that the bulk of Annual Passholders are from LA? REALLY? I am not sure what the source of all your information was, but it would be interesting to know.

Currently, most of the people I know that have Premium Annual Passes are from all over the country, including myself.

I would further question your essay to wonder where anyone has said you should compare ANY Disney resort in the entire WORLD to Disneyland? There is no ability to compare the intrinsic magic that exists in the very streets that Walt himself walked to another resort, regardless of size or planning involved in construction. DCA stands alone as an addition to the magic that exists, and in Walt's own words, "Disneyland is the star, everything else is in the supporting role."

I am sorry, but all your words will never convince me that DCA is a bad idea, or that it is not a "family park" ... and it is definitely not a bad idea to spend money to make it even better.

Please s

Post Thanks / Like

DCA is a failure in your opinion. I know many families that enjoy the park, some more than Disneyland.

We are all entitled to our opinions I suppose.

You dislike DCA, we get that. I like DCA, and nothing anyone says will change that.

BTW: I am also an out of state Premium Annual Passholder and I personally know others some from as far away as Chicago.

Post Thanks / Like

Very well said Michael and Bryant. I couldn't have put it into better words.
    I LOVE this park, i didn't used to but it grew on me. I am an annual pass holder and am from CA so i guess i "fit the bill". Anyways i support DCA having a bit of a make-over in terms of offering a bit more and making things better. For the most part, i like the theming a lot and this park has potential, I've always said that.
    Ariel
    Disneyland Annual Pass Holder

VMK Name: IzzyInWonderland

1996-Disneyland Hotel
    1998-Disneyland Hotel
    2002-WDW All-Star Music Resort

COUNTLESS TRIPS TO DLR BUT ONLY 1 TRIP TO WDW

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry I didn't get to read through all the info -- does anyone know when construction is scheduled to begin? DS and her family are going in July.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: