Quantcast Do you feel like you have truly been around the world?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Charleston, SC- 395.4 miles/6 hrs. & 15 min. from WDW
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking Do you feel like you have truly been around the world?

I love the World Showcase at EPCOT, so I tend to spend a lot of time there when we go to WDW. Is it possible to go too much? (Nah!) I was laughing at myself today because I was watching the Travel Channel and Samantha Brown was visiting Germany. She was eating a pretzel and drinking beer. I my mind, I was thinking, "Wow. That looks like Germany in the World Showcase. I wish I were there." I do this all the time. I feel like I have traveled around the world because I have been to Epcot so much. Does anybody else feel like their passport should have many more stamps in it? Do you find yourself saying to a friend, "Yeah...when I was at EPCOT..." and the friend is actually talking about a real international trip that they went on?
    Tara °O°

AP holder since '03 and DVC owner since '08

Next Up:
    April '10--DH, DS11, and me--Spring break/Saratoga Springs Resort/ Flower and Garden Festival

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes. its cheaper & the CMs are from the countries. so is the (well mostly) and the food types.
    i would love to go to Japan & China, thats why i spend most time there at Epcot....maybe someday.
    BC 2
    WL CL 1
    AKL 4
    SOG 3
    POFQ 3
    POR 2
    CSR 4
    CBR 2
    Asp 3
    AS m 2
    POP 7
    12-13 WL CSR ASM
    3-14 POR, AS s Dolphin
    6-14 Us CSR
    1-14 Unv
    6-15 WL, SSR.
    11- 15. AOA, OKw
    7 16..CSR, FW, AKL, POR
    7 17..ASM, CSR, WL AKL club POP
    8 18 As sports, Pop
    DL 9-19
    DVC WL, CSR and idk 10-20

Post Thanks / Like

Default World Showcase

I love the World Showcase and have spent many hours there! My favorite country is Norway because I love Maelstrom and I love the Norway film after the ride, Some people have said to skip the film but to me its my favorite part, the way it shows the people of Norway and their beautiful country is very inspiring to me!!! I cant wait to go home to EPCOT in 12 days!!!
    Like a grand and miraculous spaceship, our planet has sailed through the universe of time. And for a brief moment, we have been among its many passengers. From the very beginning, we have always sought to reach out to one another...to bridge the gaps between us...to communicate.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, I love Samantha Brown!

Yes, in my Disney-fied mind, the World Showcase and the actual world are one and the same. If someone says they've visited Italy, I get this smug feeling, thinking, "Oh, I've been there a million times."

I can't help but give recommendations, either. One of my friends told me they were planning a trip to Canada the other day, and I automatically told them to try to get reservations at Le Cellier. Now they're thinking about going to Disney instead of Canada.
    CEO: "So, what is it you hope to accomplish with this invention?"
    Bowler Hat Guy: "Oh, nothing of consequence...except to crush the dreams of a young orphan boy! After that it's kind of hazy."
    CEO: "So, you haven't thought this through?"

Post Thanks / Like

World Showcase and visiting the actual country is no comparison. However, if it is a choice of never experiencing the country or getting what you can from WS, then WS is a good alternative. Many countries were designed from architects from the respective countries. I believe Morocco had the King's personal architect on site designing the country.
    1 Week at Wyndham Bonnet Creek 06/17/17 - 06/24/17; 1 Week at Orange Lake Resort 06/24/17 - 06/30/17; 1 week at OKW 12/03/17 - 12/10/17

Post Thanks / Like

ive always loved Epcot and the World Showcase, but I find the countries to be even better after having visited the actual countries. Japan especially is one of my favorites to go to considering Japan was my first favorite foreign country ive visited. Japan in reality certainly isnt all about that pagoda type architecture, in general, but what really makes me feel sentimental for the real thing are the people...this is one of the true Disney masterpieces as far as casting is concerned. The cast members in Japan really make me feel like im back in Japan with those amazingly friendly waitresses/bullet-train girls. Not to mention...theres always been a special favorite candy of mine in Japan that I make sure never to miss...and the World Showcase version is the only place in America where ive been able to find it.
    Visits Since 1991:
    Yacht Club x13
    Grand Floridian x4
    Offsite x6
    Coronado Springs x2
    Port Orleans x1
    Boardwalk x1
    Caribbean Beach x1
    Disney Vacation Club x1
    Tokyo Disneyland x2
    Disneyland California x2

Post Thanks / Like

Default World Showcase

We love EPCOT. My wife shops around the world while I snack around the world.

Nighttime EMH when WS is dark is one of our favorite places and times at WDW.

Whenever I'm in World Showcase I take in all the sights and smells and sounds and it feels just like... a theme park in Central Florida.

On the othere hand, when I stand on pavement where people have stood for hundreds or even thousands of years I think, "Whoa, this sure isn't Disney World."

Post Thanks / Like

My first thought is do I feel like I've been to this country by visiting the American Pavilion? No....
    Do I think they have captured a hint or snapshot- yes. It can bring you back or give you the feel of the culture but it can't replace the experience.
    I do love it b/c I can feel like I'm there again.
    I do agree that the best part of WS is the experience with the CM's from their respective countries.
    Next
    DD, DS @ AKV Dec 12 SSR 12-16

AKV Savannah 8/08
    ASMu my BD 4/08 w/ Angel & MrsSgtT
    SSR 10/07 BWV-12/06
    Pop-05 04 03 1st Nighters
    OKW-97 96 Poly- 89 87 86 CR:72
    Offsite:8xs FW:83 82 82 DL 67,68,71

Post Thanks / Like

Yes - my sister and I definitely feel that way to some extent. We'll be talking to people and mention this really great wine we had in Italy...but we really mean the WS version of Italy!

I think it can be like traveling to another country when you take the time to talk to the CM's. That is what we do - we ask them about what region of the country they are from, etc. I think it can be a fantastic learning experience about different people and cultures if you can't make it to the actual country.
    Adults are only kids grown up...

March 2013 - Beach Club
    October 2010 - Wilderness Lodge
    September 2009 - Contemporary
    February 2009 - Yacht Club
    April 2008 - Contemporary/Grand Floridian
    October 2007 - DLR - GC -Honeymoon trip!
    March 2007 - Poly
    February 2006 - DLR - Grand Californian

Post Thanks / Like

I think the World Showcase is a good preview. If anything meeting the people and getting a snapshot of the culture makes me want to visit the actual country.

~Amanda
    "They punch a hole in the sky with FIRE and MATH!" - Gary podcast #19

Post Thanks / Like

Epcot is nice, but it is not another country. Nothing compares with going to Germany and experiencing their lifestyle 24 hours a day. I have been to quite a few European countries and I can honestly say that I never thought Epcot came close to imitating them. I know I have not left the USA when I am in Epcot. I would take a country any day over Epcot.
    Off-Site 1989
    Carribean Beach 2001
    Port Orleans 2004
    POP Nov 2007
    House Rental for 7 nights/Port Orleans for 5 nights Aug 2010

Post Thanks / Like

I love Morocco! It is so real to me. Not that I have actually been to Morocco but having been to Epcot's Morocco is good enough for now.
    Offsite...(12/97 & 10/99)
    DL...(10/02 & 5/05)
    CBR/Disney Wonder 2004, AllStar Music 2004, AKL 2006, POP 2006, POP 2007, Poly 2007, BWI 2007, WL 2008, CSR 2009, Poly 2009, CBR 2010, AKL 2011...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by McGoofy View Post
    I love the World Showcase at EPCOT, so I tend to spend a lot of time there when we go to WDW. Is it possible to go too much? (Nah!) I was laughing at myself today because I was watching the Travel Channel and Samantha Brown was visiting Germany. She was eating a pretzel and drinking beer. I my mind, I was thinking, "Wow. That looks like Germany in the World Showcase. I wish I were there." I do this all the time. I feel like I have traveled around the world because I have been to Epcot so much. Does anybody else feel like their passport should have many more stamps in it? Do you find yourself saying to a friend, "Yeah...when I was at EPCOT..." and the friend is actually talking about a real international trip that they went on?
    When I read your post the first time, I thought it was one of those joke posts in which people make outlandish statements as extended jokes. I now realize this is not the case. I'm honestly not trying to be critical, it's just how it struck me.

I can see from your signature that you've been to WDW many many times. You might also have a great time spending some of that time and money seeing the real places rather than the Disney impressions of what those places are like. I say this in a supportive way, not a critical way.

Post Thanks / Like

While I love the World Showcase and EPCOT is my favorite park there is no comparision to the real thing. The food in EPCOT is Americanized and you only have one replica building representing each country. We only go to Disney everyother year so in our off years we can experience different places in the world. There are so many really fun and wonderful places to go in the world and we want to experience as many things as we possible can.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NJGIRL View Post
    While I love the World Showcase and EPCOT is my favorite park there is no comparision to the real thing. The food in EPCOT is Americanized and you only have one replica building representing each country.
    Thank goodness for that, I don't think I could eat Turtle. Although never say never. I guess it is good to some people. Or did I completely overlook it on the menu.
    Offsite...(12/97 & 10/99)
    DL...(10/02 & 5/05)
    CBR/Disney Wonder 2004, AllStar Music 2004, AKL 2006, POP 2006, POP 2007, Poly 2007, BWI 2007, WL 2008, CSR 2009, Poly 2009, CBR 2010, AKL 2011...

Post Thanks / Like

I love World Showcase. It's a great Disney portrait of the countries, and to me each of them has their own distinct feel. But to me they feel more like movie sets than actual bits of foreign countries.

I remember visiting Paris (the real one) back in my mid 20's. Went to Saint-Chapelle and was enchanted with the history and true 'magic' of the place. Then the next day I went to Disneyland Paris and found myself a bit disillusioned. There was a stark contrast between Paris and its real world history and DLP's plaster and paint structures. It really opened my eyes to how I love Disney. Before visiting DLP I thought of Disney as the end all and be all of vacation spots. Afterwards I could see that Disney parks are theme parks -- entertainment venues. I now love Disney for its escapist possibilities -- being able to pretend you're in a foreign country or to just be a kid again, and the crazy amount of detail that Imagineering has put into the parks -- but they're not Paris.

TikiG
    Many trips from childhood to 2008, WDW/DLP
    8/09: Ultimate Adventurer Trip, WL Concierge/AKL
    6/10: POFQ
    12/10: Mousefan Reunion (Pop)
    8/11, 7/12: AKL Concierge
    10/12: ICOT 15th solo trip (Pop)
    4/13: Pop
    7/13: Hilton Bonnet Creek
    7/14: 3 nights at BLT
    12/14: US, IOA, and WDW

Post Thanks / Like

Seeing this thread made me remember an unforgettable moment in the Norway pavilion. My bro-in-law and I were drinking around the world, when we thought it would be fun to buy an item in the Norway gift shot with Kroner. Kroner is Norwegian currency and he had one in his wallet from a recent vacation.

Anyway...morale of the story is...if you don't want to look silly in front of a line of customers, as the cashier begins to process the transaction in Norwegian, don't try to use native currency when you're 'buttered' and haven't mastered the language.
    "And Kelp...
    Seaweed...
    Kelp..."

HORIZONS (R.I.P.)

Charleston, SC- 395.4 miles/6 hrs. & 15 min. from WDW
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CleveRocks View Post
    When I read your post the first time, I thought it was one of those joke posts in which people make outlandish statements as extended jokes. I now realize this is not the case. I'm honestly not trying to be critical, it's just how it struck me.

I can see from your signature that you've been to WDW many many times. You might also have a great time spending some of that time and money seeing the real places rather than the Disney impressions of what those places are like. I say this in a supportive way, not a critical way.
    I understand that you said that you were trying not to be critical, and I honestly don’t think you were trying to be rude. However, I feel that a few of the statements that you made to me were unfair. First of all, do you honestly think that I am naïve enough to think that EPCOT is exactly the same as going to the real country? I know that it isn’t, but I think that it is a fantastic sample of the countries that are represented. No, my post was not a “joke post” as you call it, but it also wasn’t stated to mean that going to EPCOT would void the need of traveling internationally. As evidenced by the little Mickey smile at the end of my post, I thought it was just a cute tongue-in-cheek way to talk about how when I see tv shows, videos, etc. about other countries, there are often things that remind me of EPCOT’s world showcase. Perhaps I worded things incorrectly and people are reading it incorrectly. If that is the case, I apologize. I sincerely intended this post to just be a fun way to compare the World Showcase to the real thing. Secondly, I also think that your statement “I can see from your signature that you've been to WDW many many times. You might also have a great time spending some of that time and money seeing the real places rather than the Disney impressions of what those places are like.” was unfair because what do you really know about me regarding my money and my travels? If you must know, until 2003 our family received MANY complimentary trips because we knew somebody who worked for Disney. I’m sorry, but if you can get a free trip to Disney versus spending thousands taking a family overseas, I believe that you would choose the free trip as well. We do not pay for airfare because we drive to Disney. That also would not be the case traveling internationally. However, what you still don’t know is that I have traveled internationally. I really have been to more places than Disney. I know that Disney is not the real thing, but when you don’t have the thousands of dollars to travel internationally, it is a great place to go to get a feel for another country. That’s really all that I meant in my post. So thanks for your support. Now can we get back to having fun?
    Tara °O°

AP holder since '03 and DVC owner since '08

Next Up:
    April '10--DH, DS11, and me--Spring break/Saratoga Springs Resort/ Flower and Garden Festival

Post Thanks / Like

This was a great question! It is so funny because I was just talking to some people at work who were asking where I was going on vacation. I told them WDW in FL, Mexico, Norway, China, Germany, Italy, Japan, Morocco, France, UK and Canada! WHy not go to the happiest place on earth, and get a small taste of the rest of the world! I know that I will probably never get to any of those countries for real, so it is nice to have a small taste and get to enjoy all the rest of WDW as well! I think it is part of the magic that really makes you think for a brief moment that you are really in those places!

Post Thanks / Like

I have another story like that. I was at a wedding reception the other day and they were playing this slide show of the happy couple. There were pics from when they were young, growing up, and when they became a couple. There was one "couples" pic in the show that I immediately recognized as EPCOT. They were standing outside Canada. Of course, people asked how i knew ...well when you spend as much time as we do there, you get to know the terrain well.

Made me want to go back even more!!
    Aubree

Disney Trips:

01/10 - Animal Kingdom Lodge
    02/05 - Port Orleans - Riverside
    03/01- Polynesian
    11/97 - Polynesian
    11/91 - Off-site

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: