Quantcast Pal Mickey-worth it?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Pal Mickey-worth it?

Can anyone tell me if the Pal Mickey is worth buying or is it filled with info that was already known?

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

It all depends on what you are looking for it to do. From what I have read, it gets loaded with info about parades, shows, ride wait times, and other things. It also has a few games it can play with kids while in the lines. I have not looked at the technology it uses, but it has to be some form of RFID. Some people get annoyed by it after some time, some people truly love them.

I will buy one for my DD for her first trip. If I get really annoyed, I am sure I can swindle it from her for a Mickey stuffed animal.
    1 Week at Wyndham Bonnet Creek 06/17/17 - 06/24/17; 1 Week at Orange Lake Resort 06/24/17 - 06/30/17; 1 week at OKW 12/03/17 - 12/10/17

Post Thanks / Like

We love Pal Mickey, and had that confirmed last week when we bought the newest model and brought him around the parks with us. He is just so fun and says the funniest/cheesiest things. His estimates on wait times for rides was spot on. At the end of the trip, we found a newlywed couple who happened to also be celebrating the new wife's birthday, and gave them to them as a wedding gift. I wish I had taken a picture of them. It was hard to let Mickey go! You get attached! But we won't be back for a while, and we figured he would be a better friend to them there than to us at home.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Clotho View Post
    At the end of the trip, we found a newlywed couple who happened to also be celebrating the new wife's birthday, and gave them to them as a wedding gift. I wish I had taken a picture of them. It was hard to let Mickey go! You get attached! But we won't be back for a while, and we figured he would be a better friend to them there than to us at home.
    WOW! what a nice gesture on your part!

Post Thanks / Like

That sure was nice!! What a great way to keep the Disney magic flowing!! We got pal Mickey and thought he was cute and fun, but honestly found ourselves kind of forgetting about him during all the excitement. He is too big to carry around conveniently, IMHO. He ended up in the back of the stroller. It is hard to hear him unless you are really listening so if your kids have him forget about it being helpful. Also he runs out of batteries quickly so bring extra. We never got around to replacing ours while in the parks. So I would say he is cute and fun and could be helpful if you don't mind carrying him, keeping extra batteries handy, and listening up.
    2017 WDW All Star Music/Universal RP
    2016 :(
    2015 Universal-Royal Pacific
    2014 :(
    2013 Fall: Wilderness Lodge
    2011-12 :(
    2010 French Quarter
    2009 Pop & AKL
    2008 Polynesian
    2007 ASM & BCR
    2006 AKL

Post Thanks / Like

I admit, he is a bit bulky to carry about. Hubby just used the clip to clip him to his belt or pocket of his shorts. If I had a baby carriage it would be really easy to wheel him around, but I agree that without him really close at hand you will miss some of his "giggles" which let you know when he wants to tell you something.

If you don't plan to use Mickey at home, I highly recommend giving him away at the end of your trip. It made us both want to cry with joy, it was that fun.

Post Thanks / Like

I LOVE my pal mickey! I'm a 29 year old "adult" and both my husband and I get such a kick out him. I don't think he's that hard to cart around the parks, I bought a carrabeaner (sp?), clip, which is much more secure than the one that he comes with, and I clip him to the strap of my backpack. I love all the info he tells me, esp about the world showcase and at AK. I also think its fun when he says things like, "Today has been a great day because I spent it with you", its like self esteem in stuffed animal form! I also like to play the games when I'm waiting in line. Of course they're pretty chessey, but they're a fun way to get through a long wait. I'd totally suggest Pal Mickey! If you don't want to pay park prices, I'd check on Ebay. Lots of people buy him at the parks, and then realize that they're not going back and put him up for auction. You can get the newest version for around $50, which is a pretty good deal.
    First Trip- Oct 1978 (9 months old)
    Last Trip- Everett's Summer Vacation June '10
    Next Trip- Everett's 1st Food and Wine Oct '10
    Oct 4-6
    58 trips in between

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmm, I may have to check it out on Ebay myself before we go. My fiancee (wife then) wants one when we get down there and silly me never thought of it! LOL
    Scotty Bear

Dec 1989 - Offsite (Kissimmee)
    Dec 1992 - Offsite (LBV)
    Dec 1993 - Offsite (LBV)
    Dec 1995 - Offsite (LBV)
    Dec 1996 - Offsite (LBV)
    Dec 1999 - Offsite (Orlando) / School Trip - Candlelight Processional
    Oct 2007 - All Star Movies / Honeymoon!

Post Thanks / Like

For our trip 9/8 - 9/15, I got a Pal Mickey. I've wanted one for our last four trips. Finally, my husband surprised me with a purchase of one on our first day.

He's cute and often told neat information. He ended up being a hassle for me. My kids are 4 and 2. I had Pal Mickey around my neck and I was constantly bending over to help my kids with various things and Mickey was always in the way. I had this great fear of Pal Mickey dropping in the toilet while helping DD4 by covering the sensor for the auto flush toilets in WDW.

If my kids were bigger and had been able to carry it around themselves, I think it would have been better. I would have also enjoyed carrying him around if I hadn't had toddlers and toddler gear in tow.

Post Thanks / Like

We didn't find him helpful because he was impossible for us to here! I know he's a "mouse" but his voice was so high and squeaky that we really had to strain to hear what he was saying. And with our family of 5 someone is always talking so we're not walking around quietly waiting for the mouse to tell us something. We have him at home now, and he can still tell jokes and play games, but no one ever uses him! Maybe we'll bring him along on our next trip and try him again.
    Lisa
    Multiple visits over Multiple years
    30 plus stays at Disney's Polynesian resort

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mouseketeer mom View Post
    We didn't find him helpful because he was impossible for us to here! I know he's a "mouse" but his voice was so high and squeaky that we really had to strain to hear what he was saying.
    Is yours the 1, 2, or 3rd gen? Or 1st gen is hard to hear. The 3rd gen was much easier for us.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BigRedDad View Post
    It all depends on what you are looking for it to do. From what I have read, it gets loaded with info about parades, shows, ride wait times, and other things. It also has a few games it can play with kids while in the lines. I have not looked at the technology it uses, but it has to be some form of RFID. Some people get annoyed by it after some time, some people truly love them.
    I agree. If you frequent WDW then you probably already know everything. I bought ours the first year they were out and while I don't take him in the parks much now, I always take him with us. He's just become part of our trips and I'm very really glad I got him. Now they even have clothes you can get for them, but they don't work on the original ones. I think it's a pretty cool creation.

Post Thanks / Like

From the Disney website:

Experience the enchantment of Walt Disney Worldź Resort with the ultimate Disney expert, Pal Mickey. This huggable, interactive Mickey Mouse plush will let you in on insider park tips, give you parade and showtime reminders, tell you when your favorite characters are nearby, and let you know about short waits at your favorite attractions. Pal Mickey will entertain kids of all ages with his jokes, interactive games and fun facts that will make your visit to the Walt Disney World Resort truly magical.

Delight in over 700 fun facts and Theme Park tips.
    Innovative technology ensures that Pal Mickey knows where he is while exploring the four Theme Parks, and he will share information with you at just the right time and place.
    The entertainment continues outside of the Walt Disney Worldź Resort and even back home, where he will share his jokes and play three interactive games.

Magic Kingdomź Park
    Epcotź Park
    Disney-MGM Studios
    Disney's Animal Kingdomź Theme Park

Magic Kingdomź Park

Pal Mickey is available for purchase at the following locations throughout the Magic Kingdomź Park:

Main Street Cinema
    Newsstand
    Emporium
    Mickey's Star Traders
    County Bounty
    Frontierland Trading Post

Pal Mickey has something to tell you about each of the following Magic Kingdomź Park attractions:

Walt Disney World Railroad
    Space Mountainź
    Stitch's Great Escape
    Astro Orbiter
    Buzz Lightyear
    Mad Tea Party
    Goofy's Barnstormer
    Cinderella Castle
    The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
    Snow White's Scary Adventures
    Mickey's PhilharMagic
    Cinderella's Golden Carousel
    Peter Pan's Flight
    Haunted Mansion
    Diamond Horseshoe
    Liberty Square Riverboat
    Country Bear Jamboree
    Tom Sawyer Island
    Splash Mountainź
    Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
    Pirates of the Caribbean
    Jungle Cruise
    Swiss Family Treehouse

Hear Pal Mickey's tips about the following Magic Kingdomź Park events:

Adventureland character greetings
    Cinderella's Surprise Celebration
    Share a Dream Come True Parade
    Toontown character greetings

Pal Mickey will tell you about short wait times at the following attractions:

Space Mountain
    Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin
    The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh

Epcotź Park
    Pal Mickey is available for purchase at the following locations throughout Epcotź:

Camera Center
    MouseGear
    Port of Entry
    International Gateway World Traveler

Pal Mickey has something to tell you about each of the following Epcotź attractions:

Spaceship Earth
    Innoventions
    Test Track
    World Showcase
    Future World
    Mission: SPACE
    Fountain of Nations
    Land Pavilion
    Journey into Imagination with Figment
    Honey, I Shrunk the Audience
    Universe of Energy
    Mexico Pavilion
    Norway Pavilion
    Maelstrom
    China Pavilion
    Germany Pavilion
    Italy Pavilion
    American Adventure
    Japan Pavilion
    Morocco Pavilion
    France Pavilion
    United Kingdom Pavilion
    Canada Pavilion

Hear Pal Mickey's tips about the following Epcotź events:

IllumiNations
    Dolphin and Cuttlefish at the Living Seas
    World Showcase character greetings
    World Showcase entertainment offerings

Disney-MGM Studios
    Pal Mickey is available for purchase at the following locations throughout the Disney-MGM Studios:

Darkroom
    Once Upon a Time
    Mickey's of Hollywood
    Sorcerer's Hat Shop
    Golden Age Souvenirs
    Movieland Memorabilia

Pal Mickey has something to tell you about each of the following Disney-MGM Studios attractions:

Crossroads
    Sunset Boulevard
    Animation Studio
    Great Movie Ride
    Sorcerer's Hat
    The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror™
    Rock 'n' Roller Coaster
    Sounds Dangerous
    Gertie the Dinosaur
    Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular
    Star Tours
    Muppet Vision 3-D™
    Al's Toy Barn
    New York Street
    Catastrophe Canyon
    Honey, I Shrunk the Kids Movie Set Adventure
    Playhouse Disney
    Voyage of the Little Mermaid
    One Man's Dream
    Who Wants to be a Millionaire
    Backlot Tour

Hear Pal Mickey's tips about the following Disney-MGM Studios events:

Beauty and the Beast stage show
    Sorcerer's Hat character greetings
    Fantasmic
    Mickey Avenue character greetings
    Stars and Motor Cars Parade

Pal Mickey will tell you about short wait times at the following attractions:

The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror™
    Rock 'n' Roller Coaster

Disney's Animal Kingdomź Theme Park
    Pal Mickey is available for purchase at the following locations throughout Disney's Animal Kingdomź Theme Park:

Outpost
    Disney Outfitters
    Island Mercantile
    Mombasa Marketplace
    Chester and Hester's Dinosaur Treasures

Pal Mickey has something to tell you about each of the following Disney's Animal Kingdom Theme Park attractions:

Harambe Village
    Pangani Trail
    Rafiki's Planet Watch
    Kilimanjaro Safarisź Expedition
    Dinoland U.S.A.ź
    Boneyard
    DINOSAUR
    Primeval Whirlź
    Dino-rama
    Discovery Islandź
    It's Tough to be a Bug!ź
    Tree of Life
    Maharajah Jungle Trek
    Kali River Rapidsź
    Flights of Wonder

Hear Pal Mickey's tips about the following Disney's Animal Kingdom Theme Park events:

Island Mercantile character greetings
    Mickey's Jammin' Jungle Parade
    Character Landing character greetings
    Off Site-- All Star Movies-- Pop Century-- Coronado Springs-- Port Orleans French Quarter
    Walt Disney-"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Clotho View Post
    Is yours the 1, 2, or 3rd gen? Or 1st gen is hard to hear. The 3rd gen was much easier for us.
    Ours is first generation. They got better? Ours was expensive if I remember. Like $65.00! What was I thinking?
    Lisa
    Multiple visits over Multiple years
    30 plus stays at Disney's Polynesian resort

Post Thanks / Like

Are they still over priced? Is there a place online on where you can purchase the current Pal Mickey at a discount?
    **WDW: December 8th-19th 2007~Celebrating our 4yr Anniversey~Pop Century Resort**

WDW: November 9-15th 2003 **HoneyMoon***
    ~All-Star Music Resort ~Broadway~

Disneyland Resort September 5th-9th
    (Please note I've been to DLR countless times. Just posting recent trips.)

Post Thanks / Like

They are the same price now. But the second and third generation Pal's are louder. We have used both, and the 3rd gen was much easier to hear than our first gen!

Post Thanks / Like

Default pal mickey

I love to hear Pal Mickey talk about my favorite attraction Spaceship Earth !
    Like a grand and miraculous spaceship, our planet has sailed through the universe of time. And for a brief moment, we have been among its many passengers. From the very beginning, we have always sought to reach out to one another...to bridge the gaps between us...to communicate.

Post Thanks / Like

My middle DD loves her pal mickey. She even got clothes for him. I've lent him out to co workers going to wdw as well. She can't wait until we go to wdw again in Februaury to bring mickey "home". My family and I got a kick out of him, the kids would play his game when we were waiting for things. He was very mean and told us when we were leaving EPCOT that there was no wait for test track. We are still mad at Mickey for that
    I did end up carrying hima bit for DD, but over all we enjoyed him.
    Tracy șOș

1995 Grand Floridian for honeymoon
    2004 Polynesian LVC (three kids later)
    2005 Beach Club
    2006 Polynesian, Tonga!!
    2008 Polynesian
    figured out the secret...
    2008 DVC member AKV

2009 Saratoga Springs/ Boardwalk Villa
    2009 VWL/ AKV... 2 trips in 1 year..love my DVC!!!

Post Thanks / Like

We have a 2nd gen Pal Mickey. We love him and we're glad we have him! My kids were 16, 13, and 9 when we bought him and my dd's actually fight over who carries him! We use the lanyard strap, it works for pin trading too! We always bring along a 2 gallon ziploc bag for Splash Mountain and Kali River Rapids...he's afraid of the water for a reason !

What I thought was great is how he updates himself! He said MANY different things this year than last year!

I can see how he'd be a pain for toddlers, but for school aged kids, and kids that truly get into the spirit of Disney...or kids that never grew up, like me having Pal Mickey is the next best thing to having Mickey for a tour guide!

We LOVE his Safari Outfit too!
    Next visit - January 2018 OKW
    Mar 2015 Offsite
    Jan 2011,12,13&14 CSR
    Sept 2009 CSR & MNSSHP
    Sept 2007 CSR
    Sept 2006 POR & NOJ
    2005 Offsite
    2003 ASM & MVMCP
    2002 Doubletree onsite & MVMCP/1st DQ
    Sept 1999 POFQ / WL & NOJ
    May 1999 CSR/BC
    Dec 1997 & 1998 CBR & MVMCP
    April 1997 CBR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LoriMistress View Post
    Are they still over priced? Is there a place online on where you can purchase the current Pal Mickey at a discount?
    There are several folks on e-bay selling Pal Mickey (all three generations). Some are still new in the box and some are used. We bought a sorcerer Mickey (newest generation) out of the box, but represented as being new. It was slightly less than $50, including shipping, and the seller included a couple of "freebies" with him.

We haven't tried him at the park yet (only 3 more days ), but he seems to be ok at home. One word of warning, if it doesn't seem to be working right, unzip him and detach the cables and reattach them. Ours was not working right at first and this "reboot" took care of the problem.
    I'm no fool, no siree, I'm going to live to be 103. I play safe for you and me, cause I'm no fool."

POP - 09/07
    POP - 09/08
    SSR - 09/09

Next Trip
    Breaking the pattern this year and doing AllStar Movies Dec 11-18, 2010

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: