Quantcast Disney Prepares to Ramp-Up Magical Express Service

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Disney Prepares to Ramp-Up Magical Express Service

Disney Prepares to Ramp Up Its Popular Airport-Shuttle Service

Jason Garcia | Staff Writer
    Orlando Sentinel
    September 1, 2007

A little more than two years after its launch, Walt Disney World's first-of-its-kind, free airport shuttle has proved wildly popular with customers, ferrying 150,000 tourists a month between Orlando International Airport and hotels within the sprawling resort.

But fewer than half of those riders check their bags with Disney before leaving the resort for their flight home, a practice Disney executives want to boost in hopes of freeing up customers to spend more time -- and money -- on company property.

"That's something we're focused on growing," said Michelle Bentubo, director of Disney's Magical Express.

Disney expects to carry about 1.8 million riders on its Magical Express buses during the company's current fiscal year, which ends Sept. 30. But only about 800,000 of those passengers will also have made use of the airline-check-in option, which allows them to obtain boarding passes and drop off their bags while still at their hotel. The next time those customers see their bags is when they pick them up at their home airport.

The check-in service should get a boost next week, when US Airways, the fifth-busiest carrier at OIA, joins the ranks of airlines that allow their passengers to use it. The Arizona-based airline says it plans to do so beginning Wednesday.

With US Airways on board, the number of airlines participating in Disney's remote baggage check in will have doubled since the company launched Magical Express in May 2005. It will also include eight of the top nine carriers at OIA.

But no airline is as important as the one that still isn't among them: Southwest Airlines carried nearly one-fifth of all the travelers who passed through OIA in 2006, making it Orlando's leading carrier.

Representatives for Disney and the company it contracts with to run its check-in service, Orlando-based Bags Inc., say they are still working on an agreement with Texas-based Southwest. An airline spokeswoman said it hopes to join by early 2008.

Southwest spokesman Chris Mainz said much of the holdup stems from difficulties in ensuring that the two companies' reservation systems are compatible. "We just haven't had the technology in place . . . for our system to talk to Disney's," Mainz said.

Signing up airlines isn't the only hurdle Disney's baggage option faces. For one, the check-in service isn't available yet to international travelers, who account for 6 percent to 9 percent of Magical Express riders, Disney's Bentubo said.

Craig Mateer, president of Bags Inc., said his company has been granted approval from the U.S. Transportation Security Administration to begin processing travelers on international flights. Now it's a matter of working through security details and other logistics with the airlines.

The goal, Mateer said, is to begin offering the service to at least some international travelers before the end of the year. "It should be coming out shortly," Mateer said.

Disney's contract with the airport also requires it to drop Magical Express passengers off at least two hours, on average, before their departures. So the resort only offers the remote check-in option to passengers whose flights take off at 8 a.m. or later.

That cuts out almost 15 percent of travelers, Bentubo said. The company is studying whether it can open its registration desks earlier or check in early-morning passengers the night before their flights.

Disney hotel guests arriving in Orlando can have their luggage shipped directly to the resort, regardless of airline, because the check-in procedures at their home airports aren't affected.

And guests who can't, or don't want to, use Disney's remote check in when heading home are still permitted to ride Magical Express -- each bus has space to stow baggage.

But getting more customers to take advantage of the baggage-check-in option is good business for Disney.

Travelers on a late-afternoon flight, for instance, are more likely to spend their final morning in a Disney theme park if they don't have to worry about storing their luggage for the day or getting to the airport early enough to trudge through check-in lines in the terminal.

The baggage option also allows Disney to control more of their customers' vacations.

"That's so big with them, to have [guests] . . . under Disney's care the whole way," said Jerry Aldrich, president of Orlando-based Amusement Industry Consulting. "Because they feel their care is better. And if you get a better experience, your chances are better of coming back."

Disney officials acknowledge the baggage service's boost to their bottom line. But they point out that the airport also benefits when more people use the service, because it means fewer people standing in line at ticket counters and less luggage clogging conveyor belts in OIA's main terminal.

Even now, Disney is handling about 5,000 bags a day. That's luggage that gets processed inside a hangar that Disney subleases from Delta Air Lines, instead of inside the main terminal.

As Disney handles more of its own luggage, it will free up more terminal capacity for non-Disney travelers, said Chris Schmidt, a deputy executive director at OIA.

"We're as anxious as Disney is to increase that," he said.
    Figment! aka Jason ºoº
    INTERCOT STAFF
    News, Rumours & Imagineering
    Dining
    Vacations Beyond Disney

~It’s what us storytellers do; we restore order with imagination, we instill hope again and again~

~We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things~

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the update Jason! I'm glad to hear that they're working on having SW join.
    Kathy ºoº

LET'S GO BUCS!

Next trip - June '14

Past trips:
    6/13, 4/13, 7/12, 7/11, 1/11, 8/10, 7/09, 3/09, 8/08, 8/07, 12/06, 9/05, 7/03, 7/98, 5/96, 8/93, '70's X 2

Post Thanks / Like

I'm really glad to hear that they are trying to get SW on board also!!!

The ONLY thing I could wish for now is that Disney and SOG would get some agreement in place that they could drop off and pick up there too.......then I would not have to rent a car every time!!

Thanks for the updates!
    *May '92 Day trip fr. Daytona
    *Aug '94/July 01 offsite
    *July 01 Offsite
    *2005, 06, 06, 07, 08, 09, 11SOG
    *Sept 05 AKL
    *Sept/Oct 06 POFQ
    *Dec 08 AKL
    *Oct/Nov 12 Wyndham BC
    *Oct 13 CBR
    *July 14- weekend trips from Daytona
    *July 15- day trips from Daytona
    *Oct 15 CST

Post Thanks / Like

i used ME for the first time in May but flew SW. flying SW again in a few wks.
    good deal for it. i dont mind carrying my bag ...
    thanks for the update
    BC 2
    WL CL 1
    AKL 4
    SOG 3
    POFQ 3
    POR 2
    CSR 4
    CBR 2
    Asp 3
    AS m 2
    POP 7
    12-13 WL CSR ASM
    3-14 POR, AS s Dolphin
    6-14 Us CSR
    1-14 Unv
    6-15 WL, SSR.
    11- 15. AOA, OKw
    7 16..CSR, FW, AKL, POR
    7 17..ASM, CSR, WL AKL club POP
    8 18 As sports, Pop
    DL 9-19
    DVC WL, CSR and idk 10-20

Post Thanks / Like

Another SW flyer here... I've used town car services since ME has been in effect...but if SW finally gets in the mix I may give it some serious thought. I definitely see more convenience in having ME take the hassle out of bringing your luggage home as opposed to having it "magically appear" in your hotel room sometimes hours after you get there.
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the update.

With US Airways being added is a great benefit for me this trip. That is the airline we are using this upcoming trip.
    Vince
    aka. Vizsla

INTERCOT Staff: Mousellaneous and Disney Vacation Club

DVC Member 10/11/04

Post Thanks / Like

I reallly hope they reach an agreement with Southwest soon! That would have been a lot less stress when we had the trouble in May.
    Heather

YC-7/99,00,8/07
    BC-8/01
    Poly-8/02,03,7/05

POR-12/03,9/11
    WL-7/04
    POFQ-12/04,8/06
    Pop-10/05,5/07,12/08,8/09,1/11,3/13
    CBR-11/07,09,10/11,5/12
    ASMo-1/09
    ASSp-1/10,8/12

Offsite-8/08,5/09
    ASMu-8/10,11/10
    CSR-8/10
    AoA-12/12, 9/13

Post Thanks / Like

I really hope they'll get SW on board soon! However, I'll have to learn to not buy so many souvenirs on that last day since I won't be able to re-pack when we are ready to leave!
    Susan °o°

You cheated.
    Pirate.

8/98 CBR; 10/00 ASM; 11/01 POR; 7/07 POR; 10/09 ASM; 10/10 Pop; 6/12 ASM; 12/13 ASM; 6/14 FWC; 7/15 FWC; 12/16 2 weeks at FWC!

Post Thanks / Like

Now if SW could fly directly to MCO from DFW... then we'll be in business. It would cost me twice as much to fly SW than American to Orlando because of the Wright Amendment we have in place here.

I don't like the comment in the article about how Disney can control more guests' vacations... that just seems a little wrong to me...
    Morgan- DVC, AP, Perfect Princess, Married at Disney
    Off-site * POFQ * ASMu * POR * FW * BWI/V * Dolphin * AKL-Jambo/Kidani * WL * ASSp * Swan * POP * CBR * OKW * CSR * ASMo * BLT * SSR * AoA * DCL-Platinum * DLParis * DLR

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone know if AirTran is among those participating? Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

DisneyDudet~

You probably know but you could fly SW from Love Field direct to Orlando...

But coming from Arlington, it would probably take a while to get to Love field, we are coming from Plano, so it is really alot closer for us to do Love than DFW....

The only thing holding me back has been the ME thing, so hopefully before I go in June 2008 SW will be signed up!

DJ
    1978-offsite
    December 2003-POR
    June 2005-POFQ
    February 2006-Off site
    June 2006-POFQ
    March 2007-POFQ
    June 6-13, 2008- POFQ

Next: Christmas-New Year's Disneyland or World...not sure yet, but I will be at one!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Camaro305 View Post
    Does anyone know if AirTran is among those participating? Thanks!
    Yes. AirTran participates.
    Dave

Dec 2009 POFQ
    Sep 2008 All Star Movies
    Aug 2007 All Star Music
    Sep 2006 All Star Music
    Sep 2005 Pop Century
    Nov 2004 Disneyland Hotel
    Oct 2003 All Star Movies
    Nov 2002 All Star Movies
    Jan 2002 All Star Movies
    Sep 2000 - All Star Movies
    Jul 1978 - Contemporary

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by magicmyway View Post
    Yes. AirTran participates.
    are you sure? they- AirTran - told me they did not in an email

Post Thanks / Like

Friends of ours used this service yesterday.

Here is a blurb from Disney's website.

Q. What is Resort Airline Check-In service?

A. Resort Airline Check-In Service is a benefit offered to you if you are staying at a select Walt Disney World® Resort hotel and departing on participating airlines from Orlando International Airport. You can check your luggage and receive your airline boarding pass right at your Resort hotel and you will not need to check in at Orlando International Airport. At this time, the service is only available if you are flying domestically on the following airlines: Alaska Airlines American Airlines
    Continental Delta Air Lines
    JetBlue Northwest
    United/Ted AirTran
    Dave

Dec 2009 POFQ
    Sep 2008 All Star Movies
    Aug 2007 All Star Music
    Sep 2006 All Star Music
    Sep 2005 Pop Century
    Nov 2004 Disneyland Hotel
    Oct 2003 All Star Movies
    Nov 2002 All Star Movies
    Jan 2002 All Star Movies
    Sep 2000 - All Star Movies
    Jul 1978 - Contemporary

Post Thanks / Like

Ted Air tran and Airtran are two different companies i believe

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AuntDJ View Post
    DisneyDudet~

You probably know but you could fly SW from Love Field direct to Orlando...

But coming from Arlington, it would probably take a while to get to Love field, we are coming from Plano, so it is really alot closer for us to do Love than DFW....DJ
    There are no non-stop flights on SWA from Love to Orlando, so you are looking at 4 1/2 to 5 hours minimum to fly on Southwest. Maybe someday, but until then American and Air Tran out of DFW airport are the only real good options for direct, non-stop flights out of the D/FW area.
    I'm no fool, no siree, I'm going to live to be 103. I play safe for you and me, cause I'm no fool."

POP - 09/07
    POP - 09/08
    SSR - 09/09

Next Trip
    Breaking the pattern this year and doing AllStar Movies Dec 11-18, 2010

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by readytogo2 View Post
    Ted Air tran and Airtran are two different companies i believe

Ted is part of United, here is what I found on the DME FAQ

. What is Resort Airline Check-In service?

A. Resort Airline Check-In Service is a benefit offered to you if you are staying at a select Walt Disney World® Resort hotel and departing on participating airlines from Orlando International Airport. You can check your luggage and receive your airline boarding pass right at your Resort hotel and you will not need to check in at Orlando International Airport. At this time, the service is only available if you are flying domestically on the following airlines:
    Alaska Airlines
    American Airlines
    Continental
    Delta Air Lines
    JetBlue
    Northwest
    United/Ted
    AirTran
    Same as listed above.
    Upcoming trips to DL Hojo's Oct 19-25 and Pop Cen Dec 30 09-Jan 06 10

Pop Cen, Wilderness L, Disney Wonder, Coronado Spr Mar 8-16 09
    Pop Cen Dec 13-19 08 Jan 12-18 08 Sept 15-22 07 Jan 15-21 07 Sept 28-Oct 5 06 Aug 5-12 05
    All St Music Jan 6-11 05

Post Thanks / Like

MickeyandTink~

Thanks sooo much, I totally thought I could fly SW nonstop out of Love! That completely will change my planning process!

You Intercotees really look out for me!

THANKS!
    DJ
    1978-offsite
    December 2003-POR
    June 2005-POFQ
    February 2006-Off site
    June 2006-POFQ
    March 2007-POFQ
    June 6-13, 2008- POFQ

Next: Christmas-New Year's Disneyland or World...not sure yet, but I will be at one!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Airlines participating in remote check in are:

Alaska Air
    American
    Continental
    JetBlue
    Air Tran
    Delta
    United/Ted
    Northwest

US Airways will be starting a testing phase tomorrow 9/5/07. It is not available at all resorts.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Thanks for the update Jason!
    ºoº David, Lisa, Aaron and Allison
    98-PO
    00-CB & ASMo
    01-Swan
    02-CS
    03-POR
    04-POP
    05-PO / CR
    07-PO / CR