Quantcast For those who went on Tower of Terror...

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default For those who went on Tower of Terror...

I need your input!

I have been planning out what possible attractions we want to do, mainly hitting ones that we weren't able to do on our last trip.

Since it is us grownups, I am getting pressured into trying a few "scary" attractions. One of those that I can't seem to get use to the idea of riding is the Tower of Terror.

I went on youtube and watched a few videos to see how bad it would be. The lighting isn't the greatest inside the shaft, so I can't get a good idea at the distance you drop on any of the videos.

SO I thought I would ask here.

1) When you went on it, how many times did you drop? You can estimate if you don't recall.

I know that drop amounts are randomly picked for every group, so the numbers vary, but it is nice to see actual numbers...like if anyone has only had two drops or if someone has had more than five.

2) When you did drop, about how far down were each of them?

Like, when you dropped was the first drop two floors, then another two floors and then brought back up and dropped the whole way down?

I can take a lot of "lil" drops, but not a handful of big drops over and over. So let it rip.

How bad are the drops? OH and just a note to show how bad I am at with rides that involve drops, I refuse to ever go back on Splash Mountain. I was miserable the whole ride!
    Aug 2006-POFQ & MWC
    Feb 2007-DL
    Jan 2008-POP/DCL
    Sept 2009-Cont
    May 2010-POP
    May 2011-Poly/YC
    Sept 2011-Cont
    April 2012-POP
    Jan 2013- AKL
    Sept 2013- BLT/Swan
    Upcoming Trips
    April 2015- Cont/BWI

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi there -- I am going to try really hard not to be biased, because ToT is one of my all time fav's! I have been on it way too many times to give you a specific number, but I do know that the ride sequence is random, and you never really know what you are going to face as far as the drops go.

It is definitely a yo-yo effect, down a little -- back up --- down a couple more. There are moments where you drop enough that your tush comes up off the seat a bit. I don't recall it ever being the full 13 story drop at once, though.

If it helps, the drop is totally smooth -- you don't feel jerked around or roughed up. Also, my mom is 61 and this is just about her favorite attraction in all of Disney World. She can not take steep drops such as you would get on a roller coaster, but she loves this.

Hope I have helped a little!
    Jen

Always ready to talk Disney
    Grand Floridian**Contemporary**Polynesian**Wilderness Lodge**Yacht Club**Dolphin**Port Orleans French Quarter**All Star Movies**All Star Music**POP Century**Disney Wonder**Disney Magic**Disney Dream**VWL**Old Key West**Animal Kingdom Lodge**Bay Lake Tower

Post Thanks / Like

I have had no less than 5 drops. It does very a lot though. I have had a lot of little drops with a large one or 2 and I have also had quite a few large drops in one ride. I hate to not be able to give you an exact count but it varies EVERY time I ride it and i have a 16yo and 9yo that take me on it over and over I think you should just roll the dice and go for it
    Jan 93 Disney Villa's
    May 96 Port Orleans
    Apr 97 Off Prop.
    Oct 98 All Star Music
    May 01 All Star Sports
    Feb 02 Animal Kingdom Lodge
    May 02 Beach Club
    Sep 02 Animal Kingdom Lodge
    Oct 02 Polynesian
    Feb 03 Polynesian
    Oct 04 Fort Wilderness Campground
    Dec 07 Wilderness Lodge

Post Thanks / Like

As Jenemmy said, its hard to give a specific number. But, in some ways it doesn't matter. This is a gentle ride and not like the typical drop rides at other parks. Its great and somehow Disney gives you the thrill without the upset. Go for it, and don't worry about the number of drops. Bet you'll be like everyone else I've ever seen get off the ride, laughing, smiling and having had a great time.
    26 years staying at the Polynesian
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday...
    Twenty six straight years staying at the Polynesian
    Next trip: October 2018

Post Thanks / Like

Every time I ride I have had at least one big drop. I haven't been on it since 2005 but the last time I had two big drops. The part that makes me the most anxious is when the car moves forward and I am seaching for the tiny slit of light that tells me that we are about to do the first drop. After the first drop, I am laughing and having tons of fun! For me, it is a different sensation than the Splash Mountain drop. I would try it once - and then you will know for sure whether it is for you. It is my favorite ride!!!
    Oct 1999 - PO (FQ)
    Nov 2000 - AS Sports
    Aug 2001 - First DD is born - no Disney Trip!
    Nov 2002 - AS Movies
    Oct 2003 - CS
    Oct 2004 - Contemporary
    Dec 2004 - Pop
    July 2005 - Twin DDs were born - no Disney Trip!
    October 2007 - All Star Music - A Trip in Memory of my BF, DisneyJ

Post Thanks / Like

ahhh.... just go for it.

Post Thanks / Like

In my opinion you should try everything once. But having said that I have to be the party pooper and say if you didn't like Splash Mountain because of the drop then you'll despise TOT. I only tell you this because although I love thrill rides I can't do spinning. To put it into perspective, I get dissoriented making a u-turn...so I definitely appreciate a warning or two.

In the same breath I was fully informed of what Mission Space was like but did it anyway. I tried it once like I recommend...but will never step foot on it again.
    "Hey! That's some destination!"

Post Thanks / Like

I would have to say that the one long drop on Splash is nothing like the drops I have experienced in my many rides of ToT. The Splash drop is longer, swoopier, and a big kind of jerking feeling at the end when you hit the water. on ToT, it is mostly little downs and ups (comparatively), and any long drops are not as long or as "swoopy" feeling as Splash. And the drops never jerk. They are pretty smooth for what you are literally experiencing with gravity.

I would always say try it once. It won't kill you. Won't even hurt you. Won't scar you for life. You do it once. You like it or hate it, and then you know...

Post Thanks / Like

i know how you feel. i can take almost anything on a ride. inversions, speed, turns, spins, anything that is, except a drop. so, the tower is not on my faves list as you might assume. the thing is, when i rode it last, it was over so fast, there wasn't any time to worry about it. the worst part is what you do to yourself thinking about it before you actually drop! take a good friend with you, and it'll be over before you know it! good luck!
    Last Ride Ridden - Test Track
    Last Eatery Visited - Tangerine Cafe

July 1984 (off WDW)
    June 1995 (off WDW)
    July 2005 (Pop Century)
    April 2008 (offsite)
    Feb 2009 (All Star Music)
    Feb 2010 (POP)
    Sept/Oct 2010 (Sports)
    Jan/Feb 2012 (ASMovies)
    Sep/Oct 2013 (offsite)
    Feb 2015 (POFQ)

Post Thanks / Like

I have never dropped more than 4 times and it seems like you get at least 1 long drop ever time you ride

Post Thanks / Like

On Splash you see the drop but on ToT you really don't. ToT is my favorite ride, we do it 3 or 4 times in a row. You should try it at least once. It's really more fun than scary

'the only thing that counts is the love of duty; when love & duty are one, then grace is in you & you will enjoy a happiness which passes all understanding.

Post Thanks / Like

I watched one of the Disney shows that they have on DiscoveryHD. They were talking with one of the Engineers for ToT. He said it is virtually impossible to have the same ride twice in a 7 day period. He said there were about 10,000 variations of the "yo-yo" effect. It varies by the number of drops, how high up, how high down, how fast, etc.
    1 Week at Wyndham Bonnet Creek 06/17/17 - 06/24/17; 1 Week at Orange Lake Resort 06/24/17 - 06/30/17; 1 week at OKW 12/03/17 - 12/10/17

Post Thanks / Like

Some drops are longer than others, but you're talking drops that take seconds differing by seconds. It can be hard to tell how far you are actually falling. The ride is very smooth, and is one of our favorites.
    Steve (aka brownie)
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations & Mousellaneous
    ASMv 4/00, 10/01, 11/03, 5/21
    ASMu 8/12, 11-12/22
    AKL 6/18
    BC 9/94
    CSR 8/14, 3-4/22
    POP 11-12/10, 3/12, 10/12, 7/17, 4/22
    POFQ 10/01
    POR 9/04, 1/16, 11/19
    WL 12/03
    Disneyland 6/07, 1/15
    Disney Dream 8/14

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by brownie View Post
    Some drops are longer than others, but you're talking drops that take seconds differing by seconds. It can be hard to tell how far you are actually falling. The ride is very smooth, and is one of our favorites.
    This is a good point.....the reason no one is really telling you how many stories you fall on a drop is because it is nearly impossible to tell!! You kind of lose that concept once you are in the shaft. There have even been moments when I couldn't tell if I was going up or down! LOL. It's always over too quick, though!
    Jen

Always ready to talk Disney
    Grand Floridian**Contemporary**Polynesian**Wilderness Lodge**Yacht Club**Dolphin**Port Orleans French Quarter**All Star Movies**All Star Music**POP Century**Disney Wonder**Disney Magic**Disney Dream**VWL**Old Key West**Animal Kingdom Lodge**Bay Lake Tower

Post Thanks / Like

I HATE! this ride. Not really, but, it did scare me. I have a fear of heights & would always wait at the bottom for my family. The photos are fun to watch......So the one time I get brave enough to ride I take a big breath & just get on. My DH told me exactly what was happening, he had to my eyes were shut tight!
    He also told me to hold on tight 'cuz we were gonna drop! He didn't lie. We dropped & I screamed the entire time! The photo is a riot, the look of terror on my face is funny. I have no idea if we dropped once or ten times, all I know is we did, and I survived. We got off the ride, I was laughing & crying (a little) but we bought the photo to prove to my family that I finally did the ride. Once is enough for me but I am glad I got to experience it.

Post Thanks / Like

I was going to say that my DS3's favourite rides are Tower of Terror and Splash Mountain, but won't

It all depends on if you like being in the dark and sudden falls and being shot up fast. Try it once, you never know. You might just like it. But since you said that you don't like Splash Mountain, I am going to say that you probably won't like Tower of Terror.
    Brian (aka CanadianWDWFan)
    INTERCOT Staff:Theme Parks, The Water Cooler & Trip Reports
    DVC-BWV, Riviera
    Next Trip:DLR

Post Thanks / Like

Default imho this is one one of disneys best

this is a complete package..theming,storyline
    awesome effects and state of the art ride vehicle.the hair on my arms is standing up right now just thinking about the ride!!
    it is very smooth,try it you'll love it,especially
    if you're an old twilight zone fan.
    i watched some youtube videos last night of the tot,thet were pretty good.
    remember.....what goes up,must come down

Post Thanks / Like

If you don't like drops, I don't think you would like this ride. Like many have said, it is smooth but you still lose your stomach repeatedly. Also, you don't know how far you will be falling each time until you stop. I say follow your gut feeling. You shouldn't have to go on a ride you don't feel comfortable with on your vacation.

BMan62 is offline Team INTERCOT Cast Member
    Post Thanks / Like

One thing you might want to take into account... On Splash Mountain, you can see the drop - you are physically slanted down the slope. On ToT you are seated perpendicular to the ground and never see what is below you.

I have found that seeing what is coming up to meet you is much more intimidating, although the first time I, a 300 lb. man, was lifted off my seat on ToT (thank goodness you have a seatbelt on!) I was surprised and a little disconcerted. Now that I've been through it once and know what to expect, I don't think it could be a problem for me again.

I think for most of the thrill rides, especially at WDW, the anticipation is what scares you the most. Once you've been through it once you get to anticipate it and enjoy it more.

Post Thanks / Like

I just went on ToT a few weeks ago during my first trip ever to WDW! My 5yr old son loved it! He cracked up the whole time as so did I and my husband. My daughter was a little more uncertain.

The drops are very smooth and your butt will leave your seat. Just try it! If you don't like it, at least you know you tried.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: