Quantcast Rumor : Ratatouille Coaster

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Rumor : Ratatouille Coaster

Hi,

On another site, I just read that "Walt Disney World management has just approved the budget to fast-track construction of a new indoor spinning roller coaster based on the film Ratatouille."

This roller coaster would be based on the same principle as Disneyland Paris' Crush'n Coaster. this means half dark ride, half spinning coaster, half indoor, half outdoor.

This coaster would of course be added to DHS, close to Toy Story Mania, in Pixar Land. The site states that construction could start in the next six months.

In disneyland Paris, the constuction started in october 05 and the attraction opened in june 07, meaning that they spent about 20 months building it. The attraction is *really* good, and if confirmed, this is really exciting news !
    -------------
    Numerous day trips to DLRP
    2007 DW - POP, AK, POFQ
    2007 DLRP - Halloween at DLRP, Newport Bay Club Hotel
    2008 : Universal And POR WDW
    2009 : Disneyland Anaheim Off Site
    2010 : Florida, Wilderness Lodge and DCL : 04/22 - 05/06

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I also read about this on another site, now this is something to get exited about! But if it is true, why not announce this when they announced the park name change?

Post Thanks / Like

Well i'm sure they only announced things that were definate at that point. If they didn't get the budget approved until now it wouldn't have been a definate reality a few weeks ago. Or its just a rumor.
    2002 - Off Property Son's 1st Trip
    2003-Off Property
    2005- Off Property Son's 1st Trip
    March 2006- Off Property
    June 2006 - POP Star Wars Weekend
    Dec 2007 - ASMu Family Suite

Dec 2009 ASMo Daughter's 1st Trip
    April 2011 Beach Club Daughter's 2nd Birthday Trip

Post Thanks / Like

Does Ratatouille really have the "staying power" to name a big time coaster after it?
    Maybe it's just me, but that wouldn't be the movie I picked to theme a major ride after.

Don't get me wrong, a new major attraction has DHS will be awesome!
    Liz
    March 2006-POP!
    September 2007-POP!

Post Thanks / Like

Indeed, it seems that the budget was just approved a few hours ago.

I agree that it could seem slightly premature to build an attraction with such a new character.

Seeing as this movie is acclaimed by critics in the US and in France, I think it is only natural to think about a ride themed around this character... I also think that Disney has the power to decide what will endure and what will not. With the proper marketing tools, they can make everybody remember who is Ratatouille as long as they want to.

The best example is Stitch. I have never seen any movie featuring Lilo and Stitch, and I don't even really know what the plot of the movie is. Still, everytime I see the character in the park, I feel a great ig surge of joy ! I love him !

The same goes with Nemo, wich never interested me until I got to see the musical in Animal Kingdom. I have since seen the movie, and found it very inferior to the show ! Go figure !

I can see that happening for Ratatouille (Remy ?) too.
    -------------
    2007 DW - POP, AK, POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fielin View Post
    Seeing as this movie is acclaimed by critics in the US and in France, I think it is only natural to think about a ride themed around this character...
    It's not the critics who need to be impressed, but the public who spends their money at the parks.

I think the movie did well enough to rate a resence in the parks, and another new ride at Disney Hollywood Studios would be welcome.
    Steve (aka brownie)
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations & Mousellaneous
    ASMv 4/00, 10/01, 11/03, 5/21
    ASMu 8/12, 11-12/22
    AKL 6/18
    BC 9/94
    CSR 8/14, 3-4/22
    POP 11-12/10, 3/12, 10/12, 7/17, 4/22
    POFQ 10/01
    POR 9/04, 1/16, 11/19
    WL 12/03
    Disneyland 6/07, 1/15
    Disney Dream 8/14

Post Thanks / Like

IF this is true, I wonder which building they're considering putting it in?
    Everybody else is thinking it, I'm just saying it. - Mr Gibbs
    ---
    2/00-OKW/BW
    9/00-YC
    7/01-BW
    12/01-Doubletree Suites (DTD)
    4/02-WL
    4/03-BW
    2/04-Mariott Horizons
    7/04-POP
    2/06-POP
    9/06-POP
    9/07-POP
    6/08-Dolphin/POP
    10/09-POP
    10/10-POP
    3/10-CSR

Post Thanks / Like

According to the article, the rollercoaster would be located in the Soundstage One area...

But of course, if this is the same principle as Crush's Coaster, there is an Indoor AND an outdoor part to the ride !
    -------------
    2007 DW - POP, AK, POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyatic View Post
    Does Ratatouille really have the "staying power" to name a big time coaster after it?
    That was my exact thought on reading this post.

Look not for nothin' ... I mean it was a cute-ish movie and all ... but of all the films Disney has that haven't been exploited from a theme park perspective yet, this would be the LAST one I'd pick.

A rat roller coaster??? Ummm no. How about Incredibles? Tarzan? Monsters, Inc.?, Heck I'd take The Jungle Book over Ratatouille!

I don't see it, but I am glad to hear they're considering something new. Hopefully the ride report is right and the theme rumor is wrong.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

There is a rumor floating around out there that DHS will be broken up into "lands". Placing a new Pixar attraction near toy Story Mania only makes sense. DHS needs something(s) to give it some life. Please Disney, do something!
    Wilderness Campgrounds ('77)
    Villas ('88)
    Off Site ('91)
    AK Lodge ('04)
    AS Sports ('05)
    AS Music (April '06)
    Pop (Sept. '06)
    OKW (Feb. '08)
    BCV/SSR (June '08)
    SSR (Nov. '08)
    AKV (Kidani Village)/BWV (June '09)

lockedoutlogic Guest

For the record...I believe MGM or whatever it is now...and AK should be the highest priorities at WDW....more than even the vaunted Vacation Club....

But....this is the complete lack of foresight again that Disney shows in its park operations....

I mean...come on....why are they always two or three years behind a movie? I know why....merchandising....but it aggrivates me to no end when they fail to keep a little bit ahead of the curve....

Any addition to MGM would be...however...a step in the right direction.

And since when is two years to build 1000 feet of track and a building to house out considered "Fast tracking"?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ratatouille Ride - Yes!

I think that Ratatouille will make a great ride. This is one of my favorite Pixar films, right after The Incredibles. It is also the best reviewed movie of the year. This film is going to be remembered years from now. I think that it's a classic on the same level as Lady and the Tramp.

Post Thanks / Like

I understand placing the new attraction in The Studios. I think that park is in even more need of help than AK right now. But I don't understand passing over attractions based on The Incredibles and Cars to go straight to Ratatouille, which just came out recently. The Incredibles especially would seem like a better fit for a coaster, but I also thought it would be a better fit for the new Toy Story Mania attraction. It seems as if they're disregarding that entire movie in the parks.
    Mike

Trips: 1983,1986,1988,1991 - Off-site
    Jan 2001 - WL
    Nov 2004 - WL

Sep 2005 - AKL
    Sep 2007 - Poly
    May 2009 - CBR
    May 2010 - Poly
    Oct 2010 - Pop
    May 2012 - BC
    Next trip May 2014 - BC

Post Thanks / Like

I think Ratatouille is a good fit for this kind of attraction.

The story could go like this... You follow the trail of the Gourmet Rat.

The first part (Dark Ride) could be a visit of Paris, that would slowly lead us into a French Restaurant. You would enter the restaurant, and slowly mak your way toward the kitchen.

Once in the kitchen, a cook sees you, and you enter the second part of the ride (coaster), trying to flee, like Ratatouille does in the movie.

I can picture this quite well, and eventhough other themes may seem more obvious, I would not say that Ratatouille doesn't work with this idea of a coaster.
    -------------
    2007 DW - POP, AK, POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post
    For the record...I believe MGM or whatever it is now...and AK should be the highest priorities at WDW....more than even the vaunted Vacation Club....
    I agree. They've been throwing money at DVC, but neglecting to really finish AK or make MGM/whatever-it's-called-now a cohesive theme park experience.

Pretty soon they'll have all these people staying on property who won't be able to find much to do in the parks!
    ~ valerie ~

* Animal Kingdom Lodge * Contemporary * Polynesian * Wilderness Lodge * Tree House Villas * Golf Resort/Disney Inn * Fort Wilderness * Port Orleans Riverside/French Quarter * Caribbean Beach * Swan * All Star Sports Music Movies * Coronado Springs * Pop Century *

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fielin View Post
    I think Ratatouille is a good fit for this kind of attraction.

The story could go like this... You follow the trail of the Gourmet Rat.

The first part (Dark Ride) could be a visit of Paris, that would slowly lead us into a French Restaurant. You would enter the restaurant, and slowly mak your way toward the kitchen.

Once in the kitchen, a cook sees you, and you enter the second part of the ride (coaster), trying to flee, like Ratatouille does in the movie.

I can picture this quite well, and eventhough other themes may seem more obvious, I would not say that Ratatouille doesn't work with this idea of a coaster.
    I agree you could make a Ratatouille theme to fit a coaster like this, but heck ... if you tried hard enough you could make a coaster out of a White House cabinet meeting. Doesn't make it a good idea.

Now I'll admit I'm biased because I personally was totally underwhelmed by Ratatouille, but I still don't see this film having anywhere near the staying power of any of the other Pixar films (or some other Disney films for that matter). It may have been well-reviewed, but let's also remember that it was far and away the worst performing Pixar film in terms of numbers.

I just think it's a bad choice all around. It's not a film that makes you think "Oooh! Excitement! Speed! Thrills and chills!", it wasn't very popular in the grand scheme of things, and I just think a rat roller coaster is ... well ... silly.

If it was the only option then fine, but with so many other much more appropriate films on the shelf to work with I think it's a ridiculous choice.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I LOVED Ratatouille. I think a coaster would be great. Besides that silly rat came up with some really tasty dishes. It'd be likely to send me into the nearest resturant for a bite afterwards.

Also...anything dealing with a large rodent seems to have "staying power" at Disney
    Have no clue 1983
    Days Inn 1992
    Value Movies 2002
    Value Music 2003
    Value Movies 2004
    DisneyLand 2005
    Value Pop July 2006
    Coronodo Springs 2008

Post Thanks / Like

Well, we already have crazy mouse coasters... what about a crazy rat ?
    -------------
    2007 DW - POP, AK, POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

If they were going to select a Pixar movie to theme a roller coaster, wouldn't Cars make the most sense....I can't believe that haven't already done anything with that! It's perfect for a ride!
    1978 - Contemporary Resort
    1989 - Contemporary Resort
    1994 - Disney Institute
    1996 - Disney Institute
    1999 - Dixie Landings
    2002 - Port Orleans Riverside
    2004 - Coronado Springs
    2008 - Port Orleans Riverside
    2010 - Disneyland

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thrillme View Post
    Also...anything dealing with a large rodent seems to have "staying power" at Disney
    Bravo!
    I have to give major props to this declaration

But I would still pick Mickey over Ratatouille anyday.
    Liz
    March 2006-POP!
    September 2007-POP!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: