Quantcast Haunted Mansion Refurbishment: The Mansion Has Re-Opened/Details of Changes - Page 3

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

I saw someones video online... It is too dark though... Couldn't appreciate it... But, from the sounds of the changes, this is going to rock... Finally the HM got some love.....
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I am so glad the HM finally got some TLC

it seems the only 2 things from early rumour mill that didn't come true were the on-ride photo and the new gift shop.
    Jeff (aka JPL)
    Former VMK alias figgiefig
    Intercot Staff
    Disney Tech - Software, Games & Web
    The Locker Room
    Disney Vacation Club

[email protected]

"Remember it all started with a Mouse"

Post Thanks / Like

This sounds like a top notch refurbishment. I can wait to see it in 10 days.

Thanks for all the great info Jason.
    '94 & '97 Off Site
    '98, '04 & '07 PO - Riverside
    '00 Polynesian I '01 Contemporary
    '02 Animal Kingdom Lodge I '03 All Star Movies
    '05, '08 & '09 Pop Century I '06 Wilderness Lodge

Next 9/18 PO - French Quarter

"Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children." ~ Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

One thing in the update caught my eye. I've never seen pop up ghouls in the graveyard before and I've been many, many times.
    I DO believe in fairies, I DO, I DO!

1977-2007 various resorts
    August 2007 CBR
    August 2009 Poly
    2010 July/August Ply
    2012 July BC & Christmas ASM
    2014 Sept BC
    2015 Sept BC Oct CS
    2016 May FQ Oct GF
    2017 Nov YC

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I just searched for 10 minutes trying to find a thread where people were talking about how they liked the "new" Haunted Mansion, and I couldn't find one. So I guess I'll post here?

That being said, I should warn:

* * * * * * * SPOILER * * * * * * *

If you don't want to hear about it until you ride it, don't read. But then, why are you reading this thread anyway?

So, first off, no more fast pass. Machines are gone. Stinks right now, but when the massive lines go away, nobody will ever notice.

Second, It's a "stand in line" queue now, all the way to the turnstiles. Chains, so, removable... but for now, it's stand-in-line. They walk you around the fountain and hearse. And the lighting at night is creepier. No howling dog when we were there? What's that about?

Third, the "Dorian Gray" portrait is refurbed. Now, instead of slides that dissolve into eachother, the change is more fluid. Very awesome.

Fourth, the new audio for the stretching room is AWESOME!!! Seriously, we freaked out it was so good. It feels like the ghost host is floating around the room, and the "stretching" sounds are thebomb.com. The scrim at the top is different, more transparent at the end, so you can see what's up there better.

Fifth, you still have to "merge" after the stretching room. No way around that, folks. Doombugys seem new to me, but then, the whole ride seems new now.

6.) The portraits that "follow" you are different. Only 3 of them, only on the right hand side. Windows with lightning effects on left. When the lightning strikes, you see a ghost image on the portraits. My friend (What up HAWK!) tells me that this is similar to DL HM.

7.) No more giant hairy spiders. Good riddance. now, it's more of an MC Escher thing, with stairs all over the place in every direction, with ghostly footprints appearing on them. At first I was like, "how in the WDW dose this fit into the HM story?" BUT, I've since realized that they are telling you that you are going upstairs in the HM.

8.) Ballroom scene is changed, ghosts are clearer, seem to be in different places, but I could be wrong. Lots of detail changes here, I think. Can't put my finger on any specific changes, but you definitely get a "Wow this looks great!" feeling.

9.) Leota room. Less ambient noise, you can hear her better. And the crystal ball is floating. Leota looks great, the "projected" look is gone. The floating instruments look better, and you don't notice the strings that they are hanging from.

10.) THE ATTIC. Woot. A brazilian times better than the old attic. No more "popping" heads. Now, several portraits of the bride with previous husbands. I think the effect was not working when we rode, as the portraits were of her (holding a hatchet) and a headless man. I think there is supposed to be more to the portrait, like a disappearing head or something. So much detail in this room to absorb.

11.) The Bride. On the left now. Animated via projection. Speaking, holding a hatchet, arm movement, very creepy. I must admit, though, I was expecting more. Remember how Leota looks real now, and no longer like something projected on a mannequin head? Well, the Bride looks like something projected against a mannequin.

11.) Grim Grinning Ghosts scene. New, more transparent scrim. New ghosts? Doing different things? Singing busts are still there. Not synchronized when we rode. Some things never change. Hidden mickey preserved.

12.) Hitchhiking ghosts/ghost ride-along. New (more transparent again) scrim in front of hitchhiking ghosts, they look great. Ride-along was busted on our ride. Bummer. Nothing like staring at your own reflection at the end of HM, sans ghost.

13.) Ooooo, creepy, only 13 points... Little bride looks great. Clearer audio, better detail on face, new clothes?

Anyhow, it rocks my socks off. The whole ride feels fresh and new. Awesome.

K, Slater!
    I take the Ferry!
    26.08 , -77.54 , 210°, 0 kn...

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks (as always), Jason!!! You are

I can't wait, this will be so perfect at Halloween time!! I am sooo glad they have less shrieking pop-ups, those are terrible especially if you have little kids and the ride stops, the attic was the worst!

Post Thanks / Like

I loved the pop up heads! The ONE thing I remember about HM from when I was six! I've ridden it so much, that I learned the little rhythm they had and it was like a beat w/ all of them around.. I LOVED it. So sad to see them gone

Loved DLR's version, especially the walk through area after the stretch room. Hopefully it looks similar.

Can't wait to ride! 18 days boys and girls!!
    Morgan- DVC, AP, Perfect Princess, Married at Disney
    Off-site * POFQ * ASMu * POR * FW * BWI/V * Dolphin * AKL-Jambo/Kidani * WL * ASSp * Swan * POP * CBR * OKW * CSR * ASMo * BLT * SSR * AoA * DCL-Platinum * DLParis * DLR

Post Thanks / Like

We're definitely bummed about the pop up heads in the attic. My boyfriend got a kick out of the fact that I could be staring right at them and know exactly when they would pop up, yet they would still make me jump. Oh well.
    And there were always pop up heads in the graveyard but they weren't as noticeable as the attic ones.
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

We loved the new changes!!

It was a 30 minute wait when we were there on the 16th and well worth it.
    DVC Members @ SSR
    19 Trips since 1996:
    Caribbean Beach Resort-2x's, Dixie Landings-2x, POFQ-2x's, POR-3x's All Star Movies-4x's, Pop-1x, Saratoga Springs-2x, BWV-1x, OKW-2x

Just got back: August 17th-22nd POR

Post Thanks / Like

Got an opportunity to ride the new HM last week and it was so much better than last year. With all of the improvements plus just the fact that everything was actually working (no cutting out audio, or ride stopages) was great.

I haven't seen anybody else mention that the ghosts in the dinner party scene and the graveyard are just more colorful; lots of accents of reds and greens on clothing and objects (ie. the glasses of wine the ghosts on the chandelier are holding).

By the middle to end of last week wait time averages were between 10-20 minutes in the morning to early afternoon, so really not that bad.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: