Quantcast Portland Maine Ideas?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Portland Maine Ideas?

DH and I are going to Portland Maine in October for our 5th wedding anniversary. (Not going too far since we are leaving our 2 yr. old with family) Are there any special restaurants that anyone can reccomend? Thank You!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I am a Maine native what kind of restaurants? Sea Food I presume There are lots! Do you like a more elegant atmosphere or are you into the "hole in the wall" type places? The Old Port is a great place to start, lots of restaurants and night life. Give me a little bit more of what you are looking for and I will give more specific suggestions.

July 2001--FW
    Christmas 2005--Offsite
    Oct 2007--GF
    May 2008--Pop
    Oct 2009--Poly
    Oct 2010--BW
    Nov 2010--CS
    Nov/Dec 2011--BW
    Feb 2012--GF
    April 2012--AS
    Sep 2012--WL
    April 2013--Fantasy (eastern carribean)
    Sep 2013-SS
    Sep 2014-Fantasy (western carribean)
    Jan 2015-CS
    May 2016-Fantasy

Post Thanks / Like

One of our favorite restaurants in Portland is DiMillo's. It it a "floating restaurant", converted from a ship. It is right on the waterfront, and it has great views of Portland Harbor. Good food too!

Another great place to visit would be Portland Head LIght (which is actually in Cape Elizabeth) but is faily easy to get to...no restaurants at the park (Fort Williams), but it's a great place for a picnic!
    Meg
    DVC Owner at AKV and BCV
    Upcoming Trips
    6/11--AKV & BCV with Kim & Gary
    8/11--Alaska on the Disney Wonder
    6/12--AKV with Jess, BCV just the two of us
    6/14--AKV & BCV just the two of us

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the advice. We are looking for at least 1 romantic night for dinner. The floating restaurant sounds nice. I don't eat much seafood (I'll eat haddock/schrod) but dh loves it so a recommendation would be great. We are also looking for any activities that may be fun. Thanks again!

Post Thanks / Like

If you don't mind spending lots and taking a little drive, The White Barn Inn in Kennebunkport is truly an amazing experience. I don't think I can put in a link, but if you google it will come up. Another great one in the Ogunquit area is Arrows. I know Portland must have a lot of great places, too, but we're not that familiar with Portland. We're happier to stay around the Ogunquit/Wells area.

If you're driving from Western MA, you'll pass through Kennebunkport/Ogunquit/Wells before you hit Portland or on the way back.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, the White Barn Inn is amazing!

For things to do in Portland, the Old Port is nice with lots of quaint boutique shops. You're about 15 minutes from LL Bean in Freeport, which also has lots of shops.
    Meg
    DVC Owner at AKV and BCV
    Upcoming Trips

Post Thanks / Like

Not into seafood? Ain't much else to eat in Maine.

I grew up in Maine but I haven't been back all that much. After High School, if I wanted to go out on a date, I often went to the Dunston School in Scarborough. It was an old school house converted into a restaurant. It's been probably 15 years (Wow. I didn't realize I was that old) since I was there and I have no idea what it is like today (is it still there?).

When I do go back to visit my family I usually hit:

1) Cap'n Newicks in Portland - Seafood and far from romantic
    2) The Clambake in Old Orchard - Same as above

I doubt you could wrong with Dimillos. As for things to do, I agree with what others have said. Freeport is nice if you're into shopping. L.L. Bean is worth a visit if you've never been. I love the Old Port. There is so much character there. I always enjoyed walking the cobblestone streets and taking in the sites. You will be there at the right time (weather permitting) for leaf peeping. You could be like the locals (I'm sure my Mother will be on the road) checking out all the colorful trees.

I'm more familiar with the Brunswick, Lewiston, Rumford areas. Sorry I'm not much help but I do hope you have a good time.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Another thing you could do is go on a Casco Bay Ferry ride. They go out to the islands in Casco Bay. I think they have a sunset cruise too (at least they did a couple of years ago). It may be a little chilly out on the water in October though, so dress warmly! They have a good website, so google Casco Bay Ferry and you should get there.

And yes, Disdude, the Dunstan School Restaurant is still there...but Cap'n Newick's is not. We just went to the Clambake for my Dad's birthday a couple of weeks ago!
    Meg
    DVC Owner at AKV and BCV
    Upcoming Trips

Post Thanks / Like

Just a note, DiMillo's serves a mean landlubber's steak. Born and raised in Maine, I hate lobstah, can you believe that??? Anywho, everyone else in my fam loves it, so whenever we go, it's steak for me. Ask to be seated by the windows. The view is spectacular.

Have a great time.
    Kristen and Ben
    Next - 8/7-15 @ OKW w/Kakn7294 & Taylor & Joline; 12/16 Disney Wonder&12/19 SSR; July '10 @ VWL w/Kakn7294 - Nursing School Graduation Party ; Aug '11 Disney Dream; F&WF '11
    DVC Owners @ SSR & AKV & BLT

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome suggestions, thanks so much!!! I am making notes of all of it.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by dolphinmickey9170 View Post
    Born and raised in Maine, I hate lobstah, can you believe that???
    In the 1800's in Maine, servants would have a special clause written into their contracts. It said that they could not be served lobster for a meal more than three times a week. Back then, lobster (in Maine) was considered a "commoner's" food!
    Meg
    DVC Owner at AKV and BCV
    Upcoming Trips

Post Thanks / Like

I heard that recently, didn't know it was a commoners food. And to think it's almost $18 a pound in Shrewbury PA. I almost died. You can get lobstah in Maine under $10 a pound, sometimes even around $6. Too funny.

Just wanted you to know that Capt Newicks closed last year. May I also suggest, via my Mom, Warren's on Route 1 in Kittery. She said their seafood is awesome. Me personally, give me that beef. Howevah, the lobstah, clams, scallops, shrimp and huge salad bah keep them coming back.

Have a great time.

Ayuh, I'm native.
    Maine, the way life should be.
    Kristen and Ben
    Next - 8/7-15 @ OKW w/Kakn7294 & Taylor & Joline; 12/16 Disney Wonder&12/19 SSR; July '10 @ VWL w/Kakn7294 - Nursing School Graduation Party ; Aug '11 Disney Dream; F&WF '11
    DVC Owners @ SSR & AKV & BLT

Post Thanks / Like

Made my first trip to Maine 3 years ago. Loved it. Most memorable experience, though, was getting lobster rolls at McDonalds. They were really good, too.

I keep waiting for the local McDonalds to get them on their menu, but it may be a long wait.
    I'm no fool, no siree, I'm going to live to be 103. I play safe for you and me, cause I'm no fool."

POP - 09/07
    POP - 09/08
    SSR - 09/09

Next Trip
    Breaking the pattern this year and doing AllStar Movies Dec 11-18, 2010

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: