Quantcast My memory may not be yours! - Page 3

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Imagineer1981;1366047
    As the parks change and grow I think we all need to be open minded to the fact that what was once our classic memory, may not be the next generations.[/QUOTE]

Very well said!

May/1999....CBR - Jamaica
    May/1995....CBR - Martinique
    May/1998....Wilderness Lodge
    June/2002...Wilderness Lodge
    June/2005...Wilderness Lodge
    Aug/2007....Wilderness Lodge
    June/2010...Wilderness Lodge CL
    July/2013 ...Wilderness Lodge CL Celebrating Our 25th Anniv.!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

The first time I ever saw SSE, it was without the wand (I had seen it in 88 & 89). It was a long another 14 years since I had seen it again and it was with the wand. Personally, I like the wand. Sad to see it go.

PS-First time my BF saw it, it was with the wand.
    1988 Family Trip as a kid (offsite)
    1989-Family Trip (First time at MGM)
    2001-Daytrip
    2003-Trip with Friends (First time AK)
    2005-Sept 25-30-POP Century
    2006-Sept 25-Oct 1- All Star Music
    2007-Sept 9-17-All Star Music
    2008-closing of PI only
    2009-May 21-22 Disneyland/DCA

Post Thanks / Like

Even though I prefer it without the wand (I grew up going to Epcot during the 80s), I understand the other point of view. I think this is an example of the situation that Disney faces on a regular basis. It's a balancing act of adding new things to entice new visitors versus keeping classic things to appease those of us who have visited WDW many times for many years. I think Disney achieves a good balance for the most part.
    I'm a dad! My daughter, Eisley, was born on December 17, 2010.

Regular WDW visitor since 1981

Post Thanks / Like

My daughter's first visit saw the castle look like a birthday cake, and my son's first saw Epcot with a wand. He's sad that it's coming down.
    1972 Offsite
    '74 Polynesian ($27/night)
    '78 Quality Inn aka Sheraton Studio City
    '80 Disneyland
    '97 Hilton
    '98, '99 All Star Music
    2000, '01, '02 All Star Movies
    '05 Animal Kingdom Lodge
    '06, '07, '08, '10, '11 Pop Century
    '07 Disneyland Paris (daytrip)
    '11 Dream cruise

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb maybe they've been letting us know all along...

Here are my thoughts in reverse order:

I don't see myself keeping my daughter (+future siblings) up to date on the latest news of WDW. She/they will decide on their own some year if they are into WDW enough to follow the happenings day to day. And by that age, I presume that the reaction to change will be different. Anything I find out I'm keeping to myself so they will be surprised by what's new. The unknown and unexpected can still be a good thing, even in our 24/7 world. For her first trip coming soon, she'll be 16 months so this is all moot at the moment.

Secondly (my first thought) ... anyone pay attention to the souvenirs and such that depict SE? Any solid objects or pictures of the wand? I can't think of any. The opening splash for Epcot on the disney website doesn't even have the wand. But if you click on the attractions link and pick epcot, a little video player window opens and shows a slideshow of scenes inside SE with an exterior shot featuring the wand an monorail yellow (I think) as the first and last shots. Anyhow, hasn't anyone ever noticed or questioned this? Interesting, no? I guess the writing was on the wall for a while. Changing the one lil' spot on the web site is the quickest and easiest thing to do. Heck, even the old transportation map that I last saw in Nov 2003 and the newer style 3d-ish maps that appear everywhere (like in the AAA catalog, the pic from disney's web site, the various ticket counters in hotel and restaurant lobbies along I-drive and maingate) show a plain SE. Double hmm...

Post Thanks / Like

Walt said that every year the parks would continue to grow and change and become more beautiful, and I think thats the main point for this discussion, not so much wand vs no wand, but that things change, and how we need to be open to it (positive or negative), because what was your classic memory may not be someone elses
    1999 -2005 Former CM at Space Mtn and Caricature artist at AK and Resorts
    Jan 06 BC/Cruise/ASM
    Sept 06 Pop
    April 07 Pop
    Dec. 07 Caribbean Beach
    Aug 09 Pop
    May 10 Pop
    Jan 12 - Dolphin - WDW Half Marathon 1:44:45
    Sept 12 - ToT run and MNSSHP - Pop

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

I've see it with and without, and so have my kids. When I told them they were taking the wand and hand off, they had a bit of a disappointed look. They said it was kind of like taking a step backwards.

Personally, I rather like the hand & wand. Nothing at all wrong without it, but I think it adds a little pizzazz.

Either way, with or without, it's not going to have a great effect on my Epcot or
    WDW experience. Whether there is a wand or no wand, or if they put a Sorcerer's hat on it, I'll still enjoy my time there. I won't be mad, I won't be angry, I won't be sick, and it won't ruin WDW, or make me want to just stay home, it'll just be something different.

You know, my classic memories of WDW do not include Disney's Animal Kingdom or Disney/MGM Studios...but I don't think they should remove them either.
    Marker from MO

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: