Quantcast WDW vs. DL... help prepare me....

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default WDW vs. DL... help prepare me....

Ok... here I am... a WDW gal, been going since I was wee high to a Mickey mouse and now I am planning a trip to Disney Land and I feel like such a Nemo out of water. SOME ONE HELP!!! What is the same? what is different?????
    Sarah k
    Sarah K.
    85-87 Campground - 89 CAbins
    91 The Tree House Villas - 2001 Nov. Lake Buena Vista Best W.
    2002 Movies - 2002 Sports
    2003 Music - 2004 Cabins
    2006 DW Movies
    2013 DisneyLand- Embassy Suites S
    2014 Disneyland-Anaheim Plaza
    2015 Disneyworld Sports
    2017 DL?

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

There is another thread that answers a lot of the questions you might have about what is the difference between the East Coast vs. The Original Disneyland. To be honest, you can't compare the two because it's like comparing apples and oranges. Read on HERE.
    Michael aka: NotaGeek

INTERCOT Insider Live Podcast Staff
    WDW 1/6/16 - 1/11/16 - BRING ON THE COWBELLS!

Please s
    upport INTERCOT Sponsors!

Post Thanks / Like

Don't compare, just enjoy!

I'm the opposite, DLR many times, WDW once. In DLR you are not immersed in disney 24/7 like staying at WDW on site. You don't need to be waiting for buses to take you from park to park. I actually found it stressful to try to do as much as possible at WDW in a week, at DLR you can just relax and take it all in.
    Last visit to Disneyland : Oct/07
    WDW: Sept/06!!

Dreaming of the next trip...

Post Thanks / Like

I've been to WDW 6 times and DLR 3 times now. Short and sweet, in my honest opinion, you have a case of QUANTITY vs. QUALITY. At WDW, you have SOOO many rides/shows to see. You can barely do ONE park in a day (with the exception of MGM). The rides are short, but they get the point across. You are basically dumped into a huge swamp area in FL with no contact OUTSIDE the gates (unless you have a car). I love WDW...it's magical and truly a place I love .

BUT...

Disneyland is special. It's completely different. You have 2 parks right next to eachother. There are less rides/shows (compared to WDW)...BUT what you can do is almost always BETTER and more fulfilling IMHO. Without getting into a LOONG explanation, consider this: Pirates is a 3min boat ride with one drop at WDW...at DL it's roughly a 12min ride with three drops. Small World is also almost 3 times as long...you can't even compare the Space Mountains as there is no comparison...DL is just way BETTER. In terms of the parks being in a city, you get used to it. My hotel was a 3 min walk outside the park...I ended up walking around 12 miles a day and LOVED IT. California Adventure park is usually quieter and has some fun rides from MGM, Epcot, and AK there. Also, there's some fun rides not around anywhere else (boardwalk area, bread/tortilla tours, Monsters Inc ride, Animation area...etc). Spend time strolling...stop in Wine Country Trattoria and people watch and have some great food...and just enjoy everything DLR has to offer!

You will get used to the changes. One thing to remember is that Disney is Disney. No matter where you are. Enjoy!
    ~Greg~
    18 trips to WDW!
    Next trip: Nov 14-18, 2013!

9 trips to Disneyland!
    Next trip: Dec 22-23, 2013

4 trips to Tokyo Disneyland!
    Next Trip: Dec 17-19, 2013

5 trips to Hong Kong Disneyland!
    Next Trip: ?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by terri.m View Post
    I actually found it stressful to try to do as much as possible at WDW in a week, at DLR you can just relax and take it all in.
    I was a bit overwhelmed when I first went to WDW after going to DLR, so I think having experienced WDW already, you will find DLR very charming. You can go at a more leisurely pace and really enjoy all there is to see and do without having to be a tight schedule to fit it all in.

My only advice would be to definitely make sure to see/do everything that isn't at WDW (i.e. Mr. Toad, Pinnochio, Monsters, Inc. ride, etc.) You will probably find that most rides are at least a little different - that is what I found the most fun when going to WDW, comparing the variations. No matter what, it will not disappoint and I'm sure you'll have a great time!
    Adults are only kids grown up...

March 2013 - Beach Club
    October 2010 - Wilderness Lodge
    September 2009 - Contemporary
    February 2009 - Yacht Club
    April 2008 - Contemporary/Grand Floridian
    October 2007 - DLR - GC -Honeymoon trip!
    March 2007 - Poly
    February 2006 - DLR - Grand Californian

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by terri.m View Post
    Don't compare, just enjoy!
    Great advice!

I can't stand when people compare and bring up the whole "oh the castle is so small" thing.

Remember, bigger doesn't necessarily make it better!

Read the link that Michael posted above. You will see that there are many attractions that are unique to Disneyland. Have a great time!
    Jane

M A S E C A !

Team Billy - "I'm OK!"

Post Thanks / Like

Three rides say it all --

Haunted Mansion, Space Mountain and Pirates of the Carribean -- to simply call the DL versions better is like saying that prime rib is better than hot dogs!
    The only life I can think of that would be worse than being a special needs mom is not being one...

Poly (04), WL (06), BC (07), AoA (20)
    DL (74, 75, 83, 87, 98, 07, 09. 10)

Magical Journeys is the ONLY way to go!

Post Thanks / Like

I grew up going to DLR and have been to WDW once. I was overwhelmed by WDW...in a good way! There was soooo much. And there was a lot more food options, far more delicious, and cheaper. So many great shows. Such variety! Completely immersive!

But none of it made me love WDW more than DLR. I love them both for different reasons. I have to say, I am constantly surprised that people from a lifetime of WDW come to DLR and are not disappointed. I imagine that I would be. But time and again people come to DLR and find the magic there that I grew to love all my life. And I love that!

Disneyland park is smaller. Much more crowded. Much less options on eating and entertainment. But much of the quality on the common rides and attractions is higher at DLR (in my opinion)--as mentioned Pirates, Space Mountain, and Haunted Mansion. And there is a...hominess...a coziness..a warmth I didn't quite get at WDW. I think BECAUSE it is more compact, it lends to a very homey feel. And I love not having to wrangle buses or do as much walking.

So there are strengths to both resorts. I will forever be a fan of both!

Post Thanks / Like

I grew up going to WDW but have sinced moved to CA and go to DLR about every other week. I used to think that I wouldn't like DLR as much because of its size and location amidst "normal" city life. But I was pleasantly surprised to love it just as much as WDW -- if just for different reasons. Knowing that Walt walked the streets is a pretty cool feeling. If you are going in the summertime however, you'll have to keep an extra open mind -- since the walkways are smaller but the crowds are not!
    It's fun to be free.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: