Quantcast Star Wars VHS Question

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Question Star Wars VHS Question

I am trying to figure out which set of "Star Wars" movies is which version. I have 3 VHS boxed sets (we also have the DVD set). We don't currently have a VCR hooked up, so I'm looking for a little help figuring out which of these is which.

One of the sets is black accented with gold, and actually says "Special Edition" on it, so I'm guessing this is the "I want to put in the scenes I didn't have the technology for" version. I have another with similar artwork on the main box, only it's black without the gold highlights. This one says "THX" on the box. The other one has scenes from the movies around the box, and says "Star Wars Trilogy" at the top of the box.

My goal is to end up with the three movies as they were originally released in theaters (I'm guessing one of the last two boxed sets described above), and one set with the special editions with the extra footage (the DVD set). Does anyone have any idea what these two sets are that don't say "Special Edition"?

Thanks,
    Tammy

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I believe the VHS version with THX was just digital remastering to enhance the picture and sound quality on all of the films.

The "Special Edition" released in 1997, had quite a bit of clean-up and restoration work done to the films. Lucas also made the changes he would have wanted to have in the original film.

Lucas has been quoted as saying all of the first versions are only "rough drafts" and the only versions of the film that really matter, and will still be remembered 100 years from now are the last DVD versions he did. He says in 30 to 40 years all of the 35 million original VHS copies will be gone. Of course those can always be transfered to DVD as well these days.
    Chris °O°
    DISNEYLAND AP - First visit 1969

WALT DISNEY WORLD - First visit 1985
    HONG KONG DISNEYLAND - First visit 2005
    SHANGHAI DISNEYLAND - First visit 2016
    DISNEY DREAM CRUISE - First Cruise March 2019
    FUTURE + WORLD SHOWCASE = EPCOT (Favorite WDW park)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alphamommy View Post
    I am trying to figure out which set of "Star Wars" movies is which version. I have 3 VHS boxed sets (we also have the DVD set). We don't currently have a VCR hooked up, so I'm looking for a little help figuring out which of these is which.

One of the sets is black accented with gold, and actually says "Special Edition" on it, so I'm guessing this is the "I want to put in the scenes I didn't have the technology for" version. I have another with similar artwork on the main box, only it's black without the gold highlights. This one says "THX" on the box. The other one has scenes from the movies around the box, and says "Star Wars Trilogy" at the top of the box.

My goal is to end up with the three movies as they were originally released in theaters (I'm guessing one of the last two boxed sets described above), and one set with the special editions with the extra footage (the DVD set). Does anyone have any idea what these two sets are that don't say "Special Edition"?

Thanks,
    Tammy

The first and third sets you described should be the Special Editions. the second one is the set that came out shortly before the special editions hit theaters. They are the original films except for the fact that they were cleaned up. The sides of the box should lok like this... STAR WARS
    Empire Strikes Back
    Return of the Jedi

just an FYI. If you buy the new DVD's individually, you get the current versions plus the originals.
    "in darkness there is power"

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info. I think I'm just going to keep all the versions I have for now.

I understand that the movies as originally released were not Lucas' dream versions, but for me, it's important to have copies of what I saw as a teenager in the theater (enhanced w/better sound is okay, but I'd like one set without the extra scenes). Those were life-altering movies for a nerd such as myself!

We moved last summer, and I was in the hospital when other family members helped my husband pack. In an effort to help cure my pack rat ways, someone decided that I had too many copies of the Star Wars movies, and all VHS versions were placed in my sell/donate pile. Since I'm just getting up and around well enough to begin sorting through stuff, I just discovered this.

Thanks again!

Post Thanks / Like

Good thing you were able to rescue them
    "in darkness there is power"

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: