Quantcast Contemporary Resort Restaurant Renovations

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Contemporary Resort Restaurant Renovations

1/24/09

The new Outer Rim lounge has opened at the site of the former Tempo Grab-and-Go.

12/21/08

The Temp Grab and Go location has been walled off behind construction walls and the location has been begun to be razed. A new Outer Rim Lounge will reportedly be constructed on this location.

11/15/08

The Contempo Cafe opened today on the Grand Concourse level. The new permanent counter service location offers Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner. The location offers the same touch-screen quick order podiums that have been utilized at Captain Cook's Snack Company. As Guests customize their entrées and sides at these ordering podiums, their choices directly effect the pricing of the meal. Due to this procedure, prices are not posted on the menu boards.

Current hours of operation are as follows:

Grab & Go Snacks: 6:00 am – 7:00 am
    Breakfast: 7:00 am – 11:00 am
    Lunch: 11:00 am – 5:00 pm
    Dinner: 5:00 pm – 10:00 pm
    Grab & Go Snacks: 10:00 pm - Midnight

Current offerings are as follows:

Breakfast offerings include items such as french toast, waffles, scrambled eggs, breakfast burritos, and assorted pastries.

Lunch offerings include item such as made-to-order salads, flatbreads, spice crusted mahi, assorted deli sandwiches, angus burgers, and assorted bagged chips.

Dinner offerings include item such as assorted pasta, made-to-order salads, pita pizza, flatbreads, spice crusted mahi, vegetable feta bake, assorted deli sandwiches, hot open-face beef sandwich, angus burgers, and assorted bagged chips.

8/4/08

According to Disney Dining Plan literature published for 2009, the name of the new quick service location will be "Contempo Cafe".

7/23/08

The Outer Rim closed for rennovations late last week. Over the weekend the entire area was engulfed by the nearby construction walls and razed. Upon the closure, Resort Cast have been instructed to direct Guests inquiring about lounge offerings to the new bar area located in The Wave restaraunt.

7/2/08

The new Contemporary Grounds location opened in the lobby of the Contemporary resort last week. The new version of this coffee bar offers coffee, cappuccinos, lattes, mochas, espressos, tea, hot chocolate, chai tea lattes, iced coffees, iced lattes, iced mochas, and iced teas in three different sizes priced $2.50 -$6.00. The location also offers flavored version of all of its beverages for a $0.50 surcharge. The location also offers a variety of pastries. muffins, and cookies for $3.00 each.

Reports are starting to circulate that the Outer Rim lounge will close for in Mid-July 2008 and re-open in a new location in Winter 2008.

6/16/08

The Wave opened to accept Dinner Seating reservations on June 7, 2008. Due to construction delays, the expected "walk-up only" period starting June 1, 2008 did not occur. The resort added additional seatings at existing dining venues to compensate for the loss of the table service option from June 1 till the evening of June 7.

Initials menus based on information from dining reservations and Guest reports have been added here.

The Wave is currently offering Breakfast 7:30 am - 11:00 am, Lunch Noon - 2:00 pm, and Dinner 5:30 pm - 10:00 pm daily. Lounge service is currently being offered daily Noon - Midnight.

5/22/08

The Wave has extended Advanced Dining Reservations to June 8, 2008 and beyond up to 180 days in advance.

The Wave has also opened Advanced Dining Reservations for June 7, 2008 for the Dinner Seating only.

The location is expected to open Early June 2008 and operate until the evening of the 7th on a walk-up basis only.

5/2/08

Walt Disney World Resort releases detailed Press Release on The Wave

4/18/08

Dining Reservations has confirmed that these items are some of the menu items the Wave plans to serve at the time of opening.

4/14/08

The Wave has opened Advanced Dining Reservations for June 30, 2008 and beyond up to 180 days in advance.

The location is expected to open Early June 2008 and operate until the 30th on a walk-up basis only.

It has been internally announced that the location will participate as a standard Table Service location in the Disney Dining Plan and the Disney Dining Experience programs for the remainder of 2008. It has also been announced that the location will accept Cast Member, Annual Passholder and Disney Vacation Club member Dining related discounts as applicable.

4/8/08

The Walt Disney World Resort has released the following details about the forthcoming The Wave restaurant:

Walt Disney World Resort Press Release
    April 2, 2008

Disney Diners Catch The Wave

This summer, The Wave debuts at Disney's Contemporary Resort, serving breakfast, lunch and dinner. Located on the first floor with a "superlounge," the upscale restaurant will offer "bold American cooking with flavors from all over the world." The seasonal menu will feature local and regional products when possible, organic beers and trendy cocktails such as the "antioxidant cosmo" with açai juice. The innovative wine list has a quirky claim to fame -- all screw caps, no corks. Cutting-edge wines from around the globe will be showcased.
    3/10/08

Resort Cast are reporting that the Concourse Steakhouse's day of operation has been delayed till May 31th, 2008. Accordingly, it has been further reported that the location is now scheduled to be closed for renovations starting June 1st, 2008. It has not been reported how this delay in closure may effect the opening of the replacing Counter Service Location. It can be assumed that it would delay the opening by ~20 days, but this has not been confirmed.

Resort Cast have also reported that construction is continuing on converting the Food & Fun Center to The Wave. The Wave is reportedly set for a "June 2008" opening date.

The following is an updated schedule regarding the restaurant renovation/replacement plans of the Contemporary Resort based on the recent update:
    • September 12, 2007 through May 2008 - The Food & Fun Center will be closed for major renovations. The location will re-open as a new table service option, "The Wave".

• June 1 through Late August 2008 -The Concourse Steak House will be closed for major renovations. The location will re-open as the new Counter Service location for the resort.

• September 12, 2007 through Late August 2008 - "Tempo Grab and Go" will be operating on the Grand Concourse level near the Outer Rim Lounge as a temporary Counter Service option.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Jason.
    Kristen and Ben
    Next - 8/7-15 @ OKW w/Kakn7294 & Taylor & Joline; 12/16 Disney Wonder&12/19 SSR; July '10 @ VWL w/Kakn7294 - Nursing School Graduation Party ; Aug '11 Disney Dream; F&WF '11
    DVC Owners @ SSR & AKV & BLT

Post Thanks / Like

Okay so if CS's previous location is being turned into a CS location where is the new Concourse going to relocate? We have ADR's there for September and are looking forward to dining there, no even more so since it will be all "new".
    "All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them." - Walt Disney

"Too many people grow up. That 's the trouble with the world, too many people grow up." - Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by KAT1811
    Okay so if CS's previous location is being turned into a CS location where is the new Concourse going to relocate?
    The Concourse Steak House is not relocating.

Quote Originally Posted by KAT1811
    We have ADR's there for September and are looking forward to dining there, no even more so since it will be all "new".
    I believe you mis-read the dates. "The Wave", a new table service option effectively replacing the Concourse Steak House, is scheduled to open April 2008. The Concourse Steak House is scheduled to close during that same time period.
    Figment! aka Jason ºoº
    INTERCOT STAFF
    News, Rumours & Imagineering
    Dining
    Vacations Beyond Disney

~It’s what us storytellers do; we restore order with imagination, we instill hope again and again~

~We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things~

Post Thanks / Like

For some reason when I read it my eyes and brain weren't communicating!!!

I'll miss Concourse Steakhouse. I'll be interested to see what The Wave will be serving.
    "All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them." - Walt Disney

"Too many people grow up. That 's the trouble with the world, too many people grow up." - Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

Default What a shame

I will really miss the Concourse Steakhouse. I have fond memories of my son going nuts everytime a monorail came by while we were eating. I guess we'll have to enjoy it one last time when we go this September. It's such a great space, a counter service seems a waste for the atmosphere.

Cheers,

Potzie

Post Thanks / Like

It will be nice to have a truly "quiet" and more adult oriented restaurant there, though, which seems like something they could use with the convention center. Sure, it took them about 40 years to figure that out, but at least they finally did.

Sounds like a mess over there for the next year or so. Glad I made it there last year before the craziness started.
    Walt Disney World:
    93, PO FQ
    94-95, Caribbean
    96, Off Site
    99, Coronado
    00, Caribbean
    03, Poly & Wilderness Lodge
    04, Pop Cent
    06, Contemp
    07, Beach Club
    07, Pop Cent
    09, Pop Cent
    10, Off Site
    11, PO FQ
    12, Coronado
    13, Off Site
    14, PO FQ
    16, PO RS

Only 1110.89 miles...

Post Thanks / Like

We only went to Concourse once but really liked it. I'm disappointed to see that it's closing. We won't get back before it's gone.
    Gawrsh

1979 - Polynesian Village
    1988 - Treehouses
    1990 - Treehouses
    1997 - Disney Institute Villas/Yacht and Beach Club
    1999 - Disney Institute Villas
    2001 - Carribean Beach
    2004 - Port Orleans Riverside
    2007 - Pop Century
    2010 - Offsite/Port Orleans Riverside
    2014 - Offsite

Harrisonburg, VA--too far from the magic!
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Contemporary Food Court

I was just wondering if anyone knew if the food court would still be open 24 hours in its temporary location during renovations? Thanks!
    ºoº Tiffany ºoº

Many trips offsite growing up
    2/08 CBR
    10/09 Pop/POFQ
    12/09-1/10 POR/CR
    10/10 POLY
    12/11 POFQ

Next Up:
    POFQ 10/14 - 11/14

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by beksy
    I was just wondering if anyone knew if the food court would still be open 24 hours in its temporary location during renovations?
    This has yet to be announced.
    Figment! aka Jason ºoº
    INTERCOT STAFF
    Dining
    Vacations Beyond Disney

~It’s what us storytellers do; we restore order with imagination, we instill hope again and again~

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Red Randal View Post
    It will be nice to have a truly "quiet" and more adult oriented restaurant there, though, which seems like something they could use with the convention center. Sure, it took them about 40 years to figure that out, but at least they finally did.
    Actually the Contemporary once had an adult oriented restaurant which was located on the
    2nd floor named the Gulf Coast Room. It was once of the few resaturants which required coats and ties for men. I believe it was closed when the convention center was added.

Post Thanks / Like

Whew, am I glad I listened to that little voice in my head. When I originally booked our trip for next December, WL did not have the room type I wanted, so we went with the Contemporary (Garden Wing). It is my in-laws first trip to the world, and it is important opportunity for my kids to make memories with their grandparents, as neither MIL or FIL are in the best of health. Try as I might, I just couldn't get excited about CR. I kept calling until we got into WL. Now that they've announced the Food and Fun Center will be closed, I"m glad we could get into WL - a temporary Grab-n-go would not have been optimal for our family.

Thanks for the heads up!
    Daytrip 2001
    HI FamilySuites (now Nick Hotel) 2003
    POR - 2005
    WL 2006, 2007

Cabins 2008
    Jan. '10 DS turns 5 - quick trip with Mommy at ASMo
    June '10 Grand Gathering at the Cabins
    Fall '11 POP last minute surprise
    Summer 2012 Beach Club and Cars Art of Animation

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by potzie View Post
    I will really miss the Concourse Steakhouse. I have fond memories of my son going nuts everytime a monorail came by while we were eating. I guess we'll have to enjoy it one last time when we go this September. It's such a great space, a counter service seems a waste for the atmosphere.
    I agree with you 100%. The Concourse Steakhouse is, soon to be was, my favorite place for dinner at WDW. I'm glad I paid a visit to the Concourse Steakhouse last November. I wish it was not my last. Oh well we must keep moving forward even if we don't like it.
    Clay
    Old Dominion University
    Class of 2001

I got bit by the Big Blue Beast and I loved it...

Post Thanks / Like

Arrow

**Update**

Post Thanks / Like

So then it wasn't all a bad dream. My favorite restaurant really is relocating away from the monorail.

WDW- '71, '74, '83, '88, '89, '97, '98, '99, '00 (x2), '01, NYE '02/'03, '03, '04, '05, '06, '07 (x2), '08, '09 (x2)
    DCL (Magic)- '99
    DL Paris- '01
    DL/ DCA- '05

Magic Music Days- '88, '98, '00, '05, '07, '09
    Festival Disney- '05, '07, '09
    DVC Member Since 2000 (Vero, BC & Saratoga)

Post Thanks / Like

When we were at the Contemporary in July there was a small arcade in a temporary location. It was on the same level as the shops. We had a really fun time there one night. Is this temporary arcade going to still be there during the Food and Fun renovations? We will be back there in February and were hoping to take the kids back to the arcade.
    ~Lisa aka Tinkermom

DVC Member since 05/01

Most Recent Trips:
    12/28/12-1/4/13 OKW to watch our son and his HS marching band on Main Street on NYE!
    7/13/12-7/17/12 Vero Beach & 7/17/12-7/23/12 WLVs

Next up: 5/28-6/12 Vero Beach (Beach Cottage!)/Fort Myers/Treehouse Villas

Post Thanks / Like

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkermom
    When we were at the Contemporary in July there was a small arcade in a temporary location.It was on the same level as the shops
    That is acutally the new arcade, now known as The Game Station, it is not a temporary location.

Part of the on-going renovations included separating the arcade from the Counter Service location of the resort.

When the renovations are complete, they will still be in proximity of each other on the Grand Concourse level, but not part of the same venue.
    Figment! aka Jason ºoº
    INTERCOT STAFF
    Dining
    Vacations Beyond Disney

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Figment! View Post
    That is acutally the new arcade, now known as The Game Station, it is not a temporary location.

Part of the on-going renovations included separating the arcade form the Counter Service location of the resort.

When the renovations are complete, they will still be in proximity of each other on the Grand Concourse level, but not part of the same venue.
    Ah, got it. We were told by one of the CM's that the arcade was in a temporary location. It is so much smaller than the old one. Oh well, at least it is still there. Thanks for the clarification!
    ~Lisa aka Tinkermom

DVC Member since 05/01

Most Recent Trips:
    12/28/12-1/4/13 OKW to watch our son and his HS marching band on Main Street on NYE!
    7/13/12-7/17/12 Vero Beach & 7/17/12-7/23/12 WLVs

Next up: 5/28-6/12 Vero Beach (Beach Cottage!)/Fort Myers/Treehouse Villas

Post Thanks / Like

Arrow

**Update**

Post Thanks / Like

I can tell you, as far as I know, the arcade will be there for the foreseeable future. I was there this evening for a few hours working the counter. The Steakhouse date around May sounds about right, also.
    AJ (A.K.A. Figaro)
    Former Walt Disney World Resort Cast Member

“I only hope that we don't lose sight of one thing - that it was all started by a mouse.” - Walt Disney

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: