Quantcast "harnesses" on young children - Page 3

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

What ever works for each parent... But don't worry about what people think of you. You are better off with dirty looks from people who may not even know you (thinking you have a child on a "leash") and having your child with you to hug you and hold you at the end of the day to tell you how much they love you
    Do what you think is right. It's the disney way.
    Coming up....BCV and BWV 2016????
    BWV July 2010, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15!!!!
    BWV and BCV July 2009
    BWV 12/2008 (Surprise trip!)
    Boardwalk Villas 08/2008
    Swan 06/2007
    Boardwalk Villas 08/2005
    Beach Club Villas 11/2004, 04/2006
    Contemporary 4/2002, 4/2004

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Just as in the last thread where this topic came up, there is no "right" or "wrong" answer--just opinions on both sides of the issue. For those who have something new to add to the discussion, that's fine. For those of us who have already responded with a viewpoint, whatever it may be, let's move on.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

I think when we go in October we are going to look into this for our own kids. Our twin girls will be 17 months. And most of the time they will be in the stroller but I can imagine sometimes they are going to want to walk and stretch their legs. And its just going to be me and my husband. So one of us will have to push the empty stroller and if we use some kind of harness one of us can hold onto it and let the girls walk around and feel like they have a little freedom. But I am sure anytime we park the stroller will just each grab a hand.
    November 2010 Disneyland
    December 2009 Disneyland
    March 2008 Disneyland
    December 2007 Disneyland
    September 2007 All Star Music
    August 2007 Disneyland
    October 2006 Offsite
    December 2003 POR
    June 2001 All Star Music

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I had twin two year olds, and while all the other mommies were confining their kiddos to strollers full time, I was letting mine walk. Those mommies were giving me dirty looks, but there was no way I could control those two and keep track of them without the harnesses. It kept them safe and they didn't emerge from their toddlerhood being too lazy to walk anywhere, which I see a lot in their classmates at school.

Why is it superior to keep little boys cooped up all the time instead of letting them walk and get some exercise? And for that matter, why do parents judge each other so much? Is th harness/stroller thing that big of a deal?

We didn't use the harnesses at WDW because we had four adults and two 4 year olds, but if I had been alone with them I would have been foolish not to use them. I have one twin who is fast and one who is slow, and confining them was the only other option -- and they HATED being in the stroller for any length of time -- I don't blame them.

OH, and I might add that my kids walked all day, every day for 7 days at WDW without complaint. I saw kids their age just dragging, not able to walk very far -- and one of my kids has spina bifida and he still insists on walking everywhere. They have always preferred walking to riding.
    The only life I can think of that would be worse than being a special needs mom is not being one...

Poly (04), WL (06), BC (07), AoA (20)
    DL (74, 75, 83, 87, 98, 07, 09. 10)

Magical Journeys is the ONLY way to go!

Post Thanks / Like

All kids are so different. Some you need harnesses for others you don't. My DS was GREAT...he stuck to me so close that I often overlooked him because he was standing right by my leg. And in the two seconds I looked OVER his head was enough to send me into PANIC (I had a LOT of friends laugh at me over this one). Myself...I was a very good child but I got "distracted" easily so my Mom had a harness for me and it didn't destroy me (in fact...my DS says I STILL need one). In a crowd kids can easily get lost. A harness just gives you a little extra security. IF I had a child like my nephew when he was little (sudden desires to suddenly start running) or another friends daughter when she was little thought the stroller was an "evil captor" I wouldn't hesitate to use a harness. At least I'd know my child would come home with me.

My DS is a lot more "focused" than I ever was and he really never wandered off.

Strollers are a blessing and a curse. They can be kind of their own little "trap". Nothing can be more annoying than a energetic child "seatbelted" and "forced" into a stroller (or into their parents arms) when they'd rather run a bit (hence the piercing screaming and crying).

Another option is a shoe beeper. These are kinda cool too. While a little less effective than a harness because the child can get a little farther away...too far and it won't beep. If the child sticks pretty close to you the beeper part ties onto the childs shoe while the parent holds the "clicker" in their hand. If you lose the child or simply want their attention...click the beeper and then locator will go off. These run about $40 at most Walmart/Target etc stores.
    Have no clue 1983
    Days Inn 1992
    Value Movies 2002
    Value Music 2003
    Value Movies 2004
    DisneyLand 2005
    Value Pop July 2006
    Coronodo Springs 2008

Russellville Arkansas...too far from the Magic!!!
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok...breath...this must be the most irritating thread yet for me...especially reading the post about people cutting the cords that keep parent and child together...that is so evil I cant put it into words...if someone did that to me and my child..I would probably end up in jail...even at WDW.

breathing again....
    Now as I see it...the harness is a means of protection. People protect thier China, baseball cards, cars, jewelry, prized possessions all protected somehow...why wouldnt you place a harness on your child to help protect tham while on vacation?

My oldest son is 6 and we used a harness on him till he was about 4, now we use the harness on our 3 year old..who actually would rather use it than the strolle...in the morning he instantly grabs it and practically puts it on so that he feels safe and can walk eagerly beside us and be a big boy.

There is so much to see at WDW and the crowds are large, some of us do not live in large cities to help familairize our children with large populations. I truly feel that I would rather tackle the dirty looks people cast than to live the rest of my life wondering if my child was alive or dead. The world is not what it was when most of us was growing up...there are some really ugly people in the world today...and yes many of them come to WDW just like we do.

This wonderful place should hold magical memories...if you feel your child might do better on a harness than all means get one and try it.... it will just ensure that you all have a great vacation
    Oct 05 ASMo Family, Food & MNSSHP
    Sept 06 CB-POP Fun & Friends trip & MNSSHP
    Oct 07 PORS Magical Gathering Exp. & MNSSHP
    September 08 PORS 6-Pack Attack Trip & MNSSHP

Post Thanks / Like

I think they are a great idea. Those who are opposed have probably never "lost" their child or had them play hide and seek on you without your knowledge.
    Kristen and Ben
    Next - 8/7-15 @ OKW w/Kakn7294 & Taylor & Joline; 12/16 Disney Wonder&12/19 SSR; July '10 @ VWL w/Kakn7294 - Nursing School Graduation Party ; Aug '11 Disney Dream; F&WF '11
    DVC Owners @ SSR & AKV & BLT

Post Thanks / Like

I don't like them at all. Even with a leash it is up to the parent to control their child. Leashes in a crowd are a safety hazard to other guests. My mom can walk, but sometimes is unsteady on her feet. A kid darting out in front of her on a leash
    could really be dangerous to her as well as the kid she is likely to fall on. We've always done fine with a stroller.
    Michelle

Where there is kindness there is goodness, and where there is goodness there is magic.

Post Thanks / Like

I never used them; however my DD was never one to run off. Even though I have always hated the look of the leashes, I can understand that safety should come first.

Side note. I once saw someone using a leash with their child and when they stopped to see which way they were going next their child bent down to pick up a dropped toy. Well, they just started walking again without paying attention to their child and pulled him right over on his backside. It made me angry that their child was treated in that way. So, if you choose to use a leash with your child, please be very careful.
    Next up - January '14 - WL

March '13 - POR; May '12 - AKL; Oct. '12 - GF; Feb '11 - SSR; Oct '10 - BC; Feb '09 - Poly; Feb '08 - WL; Feb '06 - POR; April '04 - ASM; Nov '02 - POR; Jan '00 - CSR; Feb '98 - POR; Oct '96 - CBR; Sept '94 - BC

Post Thanks / Like

I have never used them but I have no problem with them. It seems to me however, that there could be problems using them in a crowded place like WDW. I would be afraid that if someone is hurrying through the crowd to catch a show or get to a ride (and you see that all the time) and cuts between you and your child, they could easily pull your child off their feet or drag them to the ground.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Doll View Post
    I don't like them at all. Even with a leash it is up to the parent to control their child.
    It's not about control....children can become easily distracted at a place like WDW....then they can wander off a bit. I understand why people would use them. We have not -- we have children with ASD's and feel of the harness would be enough to send them over the edge! Do what is best for you and never mind everyone else. I think that the harness would provide more freedom for some children (as opposed to being tethered into a stroller -- the ultimate restraint).
    Jennifer (aka Mickey'sGirl)
    INTERCOT Staff: Guests with Special Needs, Dining and Disney Characters

Last trip: March 2016 - Fantasy
    Next trip: Aug 2017 - Aulani

I am a Galactic Hero once more!

Post Thanks / Like

To do or not to do....tis the question.

Me, myself? Nope, wouldn't do it. I started bringing my three girls when they were 1, 3, and 5. Used a stroller and we held their hands.

And yes, I have lost a child at WDW, the oldest, when she was about 8. Terrible 15 minutes but I still wouldn't use a harness / leash.

I agree with Rusty in that kids aren't pets but that is just my opinion. I don't like leashes / harnesses but it doesn't mean my opinion is the almighty.

When we had issues with the girls not wanting to hold our hands, which of course we did. It became a "battle of the wills" so to say.

Our way of handling it was....one runs off...we chase and grab. It is firmly communicated that You WILL hold my hand. If tantrum ensued it then became...okay. Lets all sit right here on this bench until you realize,

a. the family doesn't revolve around you,
    b. you're not going to win, and
    c. I WILL sit here until you realize that the world is going to keep on moving and you're doing nothing but losing precious time because you've decided you're going to test your limits today...people will continue to go on rides and you will watch, people will still by food and you will watch and by the way did you see afore mentioned "b" above??

You will not win.

Needless to say, it didn't last long. Kids want to have fun and play. All is good within my limits.

Now at the ages of 8, 10 and 13. My girls still know what their limits are and they do not push them because in the end....

b. you WILL not win...

Call it the stubborn Irish in me but I'm the parent. I get to call the shots! Some day when they're all grown up they can call them!

As much as a kid craves independence they also crave structure and limits.

If you decide you are going to use a harness / leash, as others have mentioned above please do it with caution. All too often people will put their little ones on this and not pay as much attention to them as they would if they were walking hand in hand. I've seem many a child take a heck of a digger because mom or dad wasn't paying enough attention to where they were or where they had stopped to see something. That is when it becomes a leash and not a harness.

Peace and love!
    sláinte!

Disney Trips:
    Not enough room to list them all!!

Favorite resort: Fort Wilderness

Next Trip:
    October 2015

Last Trip:
    April 2015

Post Thanks / Like

Personally, I would never use a harness on my child. I cannot imagine doing so. We have always enforced the holding of hands or riding in a stroller for our son. He understood that not doing so meant we don't go anywhere until he complied. I have a niece that still talks about being on a "leash" just like an animal. She is bitter about it. I have also seen on 2 occassions children being somewhat drug around by the parents. I have witnessed one being yanked for not listening. It was terrible. That does not mean everyone that uses these devices would do that, but that is just my expereince with them. I did recently see, and I cannot remember where right now, a device that the parent wore and one the child wore that would beep when the child wandered too far. Even a small reward at the end of the day for holding your hand or riding in the stroller would be a much better alternative. I also think that the "harness" would give some parents a false sense of security. Children can still be hurt and snatched using them.
    Next Trip: POP Century...September 16th to September 26th!

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Harness tips

I used a harness that we got from Babies r us for our last trip, my son was almost 3 at the time and actually he was more content to sit in the double stroller we rented, but when he did want to walk he did well with the harness, gave him a sense of freedom but knew his boundries.

The only thing about the harnesses that look like tha animals and are backpacks is that they are velour and I don't know about anyone else but I don't think I want to be wearing velour in Florida!

I think we also looked at one from Toys r us
    They can look intimidatinngly complicated but once you get them one the first time, they are pretty easy

I might also have a spare if you are interested.

Rachael

06/06-OKW (FIRST TIME)10/09-? (graduation present to myself)

Post Thanks / Like

Use them if you want, its not about political correctness......its about what makes your family comfortable.

We live in a mean society, where children are taken and locked in boxes and buried.I have used them and dont feel the least bit bad because at the end of the day while people are sitting mad because I "leash" my child, I can say my family had a great day and felt secure in our decision.

Bottom Line - use it if it makes you feel better, and forget the naysayers.

Post Thanks / Like

any baby outlet or the all for everything Wal-Mart....honestly I think a child leash.....(ugg)...I don't like them at all... with the crowds and a child tethered to an adult, sometimes can "trip" up a stanger. Wit a two year old, the strollers are great....they are covered, you can carry a "truck" load of stuff, the child is very safe, and whenever it's time to let the "little legs" stetch time, just find a more secluded spot and let'em go......
    STEELER SUPERBOWL CHAMPS: 1974, 1975, 1978, 1979, 2005, and 2008 !

[SIZE="1"]1978 OFF SITE CAMPING
    JUNE 2004 POR
    JULY 2005 POR
    AUGUST 2006 POR
    JUNE - JULY 2007 POR
    DEC 2008- JAN 2009 POR
    JUNE 2009 POR
    JUNE 2010 POR
    JANUARY 2011 POP CENTURY
    APRIL 2011 Planning Stages

Post Thanks / Like

Did use the "backpack" type for my 3 year old on our last trip. He enjoyed putting his fruit snacks in the pouch. He actually did very well and did not need to wear it; held hands even with it on. If he asked to take it off, we asked him, "Will you hold mommy's/daddy's hand?" Issue resolved. Some days he asked to wear it! Like other posters already stated....it's a personal issue for parents decide what is best for their child. Before leashes/harnesses/tethers came out the rest of us survived just fine!
    ---------------------------------
    DVC Member Since 04/08 Animal Kingdom Villas

CS 5/2010, SS 4/2010, AKV 11/2009, BW 5/2009,
    SS 2/2009, SS 10/2008, POR 7/2008, WC 8/2007
    POR 12/2006, POR 10/2005, POR 10/2004, FW 10/2002
    FW 10/1993, OS 12/1989

Post Thanks / Like

As a Mama of two ACTIVE and CURIOUS boys I have sympathy for both sides of this issue. I have lost each of my boys in different parks (not WDW) for a few minutes so I understand the panic and desire for something fool proof. On the other hand, I have witnessed the improper and somewhat abusive uses of the leash/harness and just cringe at the thought of using one. Some alternatives that I use: I write my cell phone number on young kids arms or sneakers in a permenant marker. My three year old also almost has my cell phone # memorized (I sing it to that phone number song). Also, every bigger kid and adult knows where we will meet up if lost. I frequently tell my kids "if lost, look for someone else's Mommy and ask her to call me." Now in addition to that I watch my kids like a hawk and often just keep my hand resting on a shoulder lightly instead of clutching his sweaty hand. But when in big crowds, I do clutch. I certainly do not judge either decision, but hope that if a "harness" or whatever is used it is used in a gentle, respectful way and not as a substitute for vigilance.
    2017 WDW All Star Music/Universal RP
    2016 :(
    2015 Universal-Royal Pacific
    2014 :(
    2013 Fall: Wilderness Lodge
    2011-12 :(
    2010 French Quarter
    2009 Pop & AKL
    2008 Polynesian
    2007 ASM & BCR
    2006 AKL

Post Thanks / Like

We got one from One Step Ahead. We got a catalog in the mail, but they also have a website you can order from. The harness is velcro, so it's easy to adjust to the size of your child. The "leash" is long enough to give your kids a little freedom, but not so long that they could run circles around you and get you tangled up in the "leash". I used to think they were cruel until I had a child of my own who loves to be on the move and it would just been even more cruel to confine her to a stroller. We used it for the first time in April when we took her to the zoo. She enjoyed it so much more being able to get a closer view than she would have in her stroller.

170 more days!!

Post Thanks / Like

The first time I saw one of these (in Epcot last summer), I honestly felt scared that our world has come to this point. I am not a parent, granted, but honestly, I don't see the problem with a common stroller, if your child walks away.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: