Quantcast CarJacking and Robbery at Downtown Disney

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default CarJacking and Robbery at Downtown Disney

The Orlando Sentinel reported that very early Sunday morning and young couple from CT were
    abducted from the Downtown Disney area and then taken to an ATM to withdraw money. They were dumped in a landfill in Osceola Co. They survived. They were approached by a couple of people who were in a car who asked them a question. When they stopped to answer, that is when the incident took place. The article also said they were WDW resort guests.

Wow. I guess you can never be too careful no matter where you are.
    1973,1978 (2x) Off Site
    1980 CONTEMPORARY
    1981 POLY
    1983 OFFSIGHT
    1990 POLY
    2000 POLY
    2001 BOARDWALK
    2002 WL
    2003 GROSVENOR DTD
    2003 WL
    2004 POFQ
    2005 POP
    2006 POP
    2007 WL
    2008 Polynesian
    2009 POFQ
    2010 AKL
    2011 AKL
    2012 CBR
    2013 CBR March & December

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I saw this in the news. This is from WNBC4 out of NYC:

Police: Conn. Couple Kidnapped At Disney World, Robbed

POSTED: 12:13 pm EDT June 10, 2007

A young Branford couple visiting Disney World narrowly escaped serious injured early Sunday morning after they were kidnapped at gunpoint and forced to withdraw money from an ATM, police said.

Police said the couple, Jessica Dellacamera and Justin Stetzer, was walking back to their hotel room after shopping at Downtown Disney just after midnight. As they were walking through the parking lot a man sitting in a Volkswagen Jetta, asked them a question, police said.

When the couple stopped to respond they were forced into the car at gunpoint, police said. The car was occupied by two other suspects, police said.

According to police, the couple was driven around for approximately 15 minutes, until they arrived at a gas station.

The male victim and one of the suspects went into the business where the victim was forced to withdraw money from an ATM.

Police said they returned to the car and drove around until making another stop at an unknown location.

The victims, still being held at gunpoint, were then driven to a remote location near a landfill in Osceola County, Fla.

Police said, once at that location, the suspects battered the couple, which began to fight back.

Police said that at some point during the fight, the male victim was struck in the head with the handgun.

The gun discharged apparently causing the suspects to panic and flee leaving the victims stranded.

Police said the couple was able to walk to a nearby home on Creekside Blvd. in Kissimmee where residents inside the home called the Osceola County Sheriff's Office.

Both victims received some bumps and bruises as a result of this incident, police said.

According to police, the suspects were able to get away with the cash taken from the ATM withdrawal and the purchases the couple had made while shopping at Downtown Disney.

Police said the primary suspect is a white or Hispanic male, 25- to 28-years-old, 6-feet tall, 180 pounds, with a short sleeved shirt.

Police said a second suspect is a skinny black male, and the third suspect is a white male, 5' 9", 160 pounds, mid 20's, wearing a white t-shirt and armed with a hand gun.
    Disney World: 10/92 Yacht Club, 11/96 Disney Institute, 12/00 Yacht Club, 6/05 Beach Club, 8/06 Shades of Green, 8/07 Caribbean Beach Resort, 10/07 Coronado Springs, 12/08 French Quarter, 3/10 All Star Sports, 4/12 Port Orleans Riverside

Disneyland: 1987, 1997, 2002, 2008, 2010, 2013

Between the Port of Indecision and Southwest of Disorder
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a tough week -another incident occured last week where a couple police officers were shot in the Epcot parking lot while trying to apprehend a couple of people vandalizing cars. I got this info from a friend who was there the week before last -not sure if it was reported by the Sentinal or not.

Post Thanks / Like

It seems to me that this would have been reported somewhere like the incident at Downtown DIsney. If there is nothing to back it up, the post should be taken down.

Post Thanks / Like

The Orlando area seems to have a lot of problems with crime lately, and most of the time it is people trying to take advantage of tourists.
    Chris
    "WDWizard"

Last Trip: Disney's Hollywood Studios/Blizzard Beach June 2008

Next Trip: Not anytime soon. Been there, seen it all, have too many t-shirts.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GAN View Post
    Sounds like a tough week -another incident occured last week where a couple police officers were shot in the Epcot parking lot while trying to apprehend a couple of people vandalizing cars. I got this info from a friend who was there the week before last -not sure if it was reported by the Sentinal or not.
    I believe the shooting you are referring to did not happen on Disney property. It was at the Caribe Royal Resort. Our Magical Express bus driver told us about it when we were on our way to Disney World a week and a half ago.

http://www.wesh.com/news/13411888/detail.html

I just heard about the Downtown Disney incident this morning on my local news. I'm glad the folks who were kidnapped are safe!
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Bad things can happen anywhere, and I feel really bad for this couple but why were they walking through the parking lot to "walk back" to their hotel? Where were they staying? I would like to see more details on this. What an awful experience for them.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SBETigg View Post
    Bad things can happen anywhere, and I feel really bad for this couple but why were they walking through the parking lot to "walk back" to their hotel? Where were they staying? I would like to see more details on this. What an awful experience for them.
    I wondered about the "walking back" bit too -- but then I remembered that of all the newspaper stories about me over the years not one of them has been completely accurate, not in quoting me or in getting the facts straight. The reporters are busily taking notes in shorthand sometimes and when they get back to the office they sometimes forget the exact context of what they wrote. Or they have a story to tell and they fudge it to make it sound better, so I treat these inconsistencies with a grain of salt.
    The only life I can think of that would be worse than being a special needs mom is not being one...

Poly (04), WL (06), BC (07), AoA (20)
    DL (74, 75, 83, 87, 98, 07, 09. 10)

Magical Journeys is the ONLY way to go!

Post Thanks / Like

Unfortunately, even at WDW people need to mindful of their surroundings and take precautions. I would never attempt to cut through the parking lots late at night to walk back to my motel. I would call a taxi from the last store or club that I was at if it was that late at night. Unfortunatley for this couple, they learned the hard way. I am just glad that they were not killed or seriously injured.
    DDuck66
    Disney Veteran

2000- Once
    2001- Twice
    2002- Three Times
    2003- Three times
    2004 Twice
    2005 Twice
    2006- October and Christmas
    2007- The year of the annual pass!!!
    2008- Concierge at the POLY!!!!
    2009- Birthdays in January and March!!!!
    2010- Lots of trips..Too many to count!!

Post Thanks / Like

What a horrible thing that couple went through!!!

I heard on the news that Orlando has had a 120% increase in crime over the past year. Sad.
    șOș șOș șOș șOș șOș șOș șOș șOș șOș șOș
    Amber

62 Miles from the Magic!!!!

Stayed at: All Stars Sports, Music and Movies; Dixie Landings; Port Orleans; Pop Century; Yacht Club

Post Thanks / Like

Default Orlando and crime

Like every growing city, crime tends to grow with it, its not surprising that DW gets it too, thought i still feel that most of the people who go to the parks have good hearts and wouldnt do anything wrong. But like society, there are always bad eggs..
    Its funny because i have a friend who's parents were in orlando 2 weeks ago and they got mugged on International drive- I told him, ' well if they were on Disney property, then
    it would never happen.... " now i see this post and i had to eat crow..
    Bryan

DVC since 02, Poly 89-90, Tokyo 98, CB 99, Swan 01, WL 06 ,08, 10, BLT 11, HHI 12, OKW 12-13, BC 03-05, 07-09, 11, 13,16 , 17
    Contemporary 05, 13, GC DLR 15, VeroBeach 16, AoA 16

"There's Blood on the saddle, and Blood all around...."Big Al-

Post Thanks / Like

They could have been on the sidewalk on the parking lot side of downtown disney - cars drive there all of the time.
    Many, many visits since 1973....

mttafire Guest

Everyone needs to read the tread in "news rumors and imagineering" concerning this subject. It turns out this couple might NOT be just innocent victimes after all.

Post Thanks / Like

its terrible what happened to this couple, and i am so sorry to hear this. i hope disney takes precautions and learns from this to toughen up security in all areas so that things like this dont continue to happen. there is no security gate at DTD's as at the other properties, so it is easier for anyone who wants to get in to do so.

its just interesting that DTD's parking lot cameras didnt publisize a photo of the car they were driving in, or its lisence plate to help find the suspects...
    Next WDW Vacation: 1st Disney Cruise w. Land and Sea adventure, Summer 2014

WDW 76x ON PROPERTY since March 1984
    Most Recent Trip: Thanksgiving/Christmas 2013

Post Thanks / Like

This is so frightening! Seriously, there are no guards out around the parking lot area? There need to be! Makes me glad we stay where the groups of people are and take the busses with everybody else. Wow. They need better security, this is just scary.
    Upcoming:
    October 2013
    8 nights at Pop Century with Free Dining to celebrate DS turning 4 years old!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

This is already under discussion in the News forum. Please go there for updates and further discussion. It's much easier to follow along when a topic is in one place. Thanks.
    šš*:•

"Here You Leave Today and Enter the World of Yesterday, Tomorrow and Fantasy!"

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: