Quantcast Am I the only person who does not like eating at the high end WDW restaurants? - Page 3

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Fine Dining

Quote Originally Posted by wire0monkey View Post
    In a way, you're right. If you can't tell the difference between good food and mall food, you shouldn't spend your money on it...
    That's just it, I can tell the difference... and I repeatedly make the decision to enjoy mall quality food at the Happiest Place on Earth... I just don't think it's necessary to get all cloud-niney about it.

Two nights ago I had a very good poached cod entree at Akershus but I was my niece's reaction at her first glimpse of Ariel that made the meal special for me.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Goes4FastPass View Post
    That's just it, I can tell the difference... and I repeatedly make the decision to enjoy mall quality food at the Happiest Place on Earth... I just don't think it's necessary to get all cloud-niney about it.

Two nights ago I had a very good poached cod entree at Akershus but I was my niece's reaction at her first glimpse of Ariel that made the meal special for me.
    Dude...I want to shop at YOUR mall!

We only have Ruby Tuesday, Red Lobster, Olive Garden, Sizzler, Lonestar and some little Italian place. Further down the road we have Don Pablo's, Panera, and about 6 miles from that we have Red Robin, Applebee's and Jack Creek......lots of chain restaurants.

.....Ummmmmm......nope, can't say they have the same quality food as Cali Grill, Narcoossee's, Flying Fish, Citricos, Jiko, etc.

Maybe you just need to order some fancier, less basic entrees? Cod isn't exactly "fine dining", but then again, neither is Akershus. It's nice, but not in the same class as some resort restaurants.
    NEXT TRIP - DCL Fantasy Oct. 2016
    Yacht Club - Oct. '14, Dec. '15
    Poly - Dec. '07, '09
    Grand Flo - Too many times to keep track!
    CBR - May '10, Oct. '10, Dec. '11
    POR - Sept & Dec '03
    AoA - Oct. '12, Dec. '13
    Pop - May '11

Post Thanks / Like

Default Food

The mall closest to our home has Morton's and McCormick and Schmidt and Ruth Chris etc.

The "signature" restuarants you list at WDW are all wonderful meals that I have happily paid for and enjoyed.

When I think of fine dining I don't usually first think of high chairs and ketchup and glow cubes - but these are all things I expect at a family resort. Actually, I once left a restaurant during a family dinner, dashed out and came back carrying a single order of ketchup from a sandwich shop down the street because a junior member of our group really wanted some ketchup. The whole party congratulated me on my "Dad skills".

I find myself right in the middle of this topic opinion-wise. When I hear someone say, "Disney means hot dogs." I say, "You haven't been to Jiko." but when a WDW fan says, "Disney dining offers the epitome of sophisticated sophistication." I think, "Somebody's been watching too many Disney advertisements."

It just doesn't make sense to me to be a snob either against Disney dining or in favor of it.

Post Thanks / Like

Our meals in Disneyworld have been some highlights of our trips! The fun at Ohanas, whooping it up at Whisperiing Canyon, rotating at the Garden Grill, My kids doing the polka at the Biergarten, Almost wetting our pants as my husband attempts to speak french to the waitress at Le Chefs de France, Tons of Characters playing with us and picture taking with us at Chef Mickeys, CRT, LTT to name a few. I could go on and on. We make it a point to have new meal experiences each trip. This time we will try Marrakesh with the Belly dancers for the first time, and California Grill too! We eat a nice dinner almost every nite during our trips, saving Breakfast and Lunch for on the fly most of the time. We have tried almost every table service at Disneyworld. We love it!
    Lisa
    Multiple visits over Multiple years
    30 plus stays at Disney's Polynesian resort

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Goes4FastPass View Post
    The mall closest to our home has Morton's and McCormick and Schmidt and Ruth Chris etc.
    So, not your typical mall.

Morton's is awesome....we've dined at one in Philadelphia, but the Palm is better (IMO). We always eat there when we go to NYC. I've heard Ruth's Chris is really good, but I never made an effort to go there when I can go to Cali Grill and Narcoossee's in WDW once or twice a year.
    NEXT TRIP - DCL Fantasy Oct. 2016
    Yacht Club - Oct. '14, Dec. '15
    Poly - Dec. '07, '09
    Grand Flo - Too many times to keep track!
    CBR - May '10, Oct. '10, Dec. '11
    POR - Sept & Dec '03
    AoA - Oct. '12, Dec. '13
    Pop - May '11

Post Thanks / Like

I am a very picky eater. I like steak, almost anything fried, french fries, plain rice, plain macaroni. I don't like veggies, sauces, soups.

We get to make our ADR's on the 25th of June for our trip to Disney during Christmas and my wife and i spent hours going through the menus for all the eating places at Disney.

It's very hard to find anything that isn't smothered in something.

I want a big juicy steak with a little seasoning on it and some fries.

It's hard to find that at Disney. All the steaks are smothered in something and the fancy eating places do not have fries.

We are going to try and do some of the buffets and Ohana's. It looks like there will be something that I will eat.

Natazu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by starflyer59 View Post
    It's hard to find that at Disney. All the steaks are smothered in something and the fancy eating places do not have fries.
    One of the benefits of eating at a fancy restaurant is you can tell them to leave all the stuff off and get a plain steak if you want one. Also, almost ALL Disney restaurants can serve fries upon request. Just tell the server what you want, no worries.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the tip.

We wanted to take advantage of the DDP this time because it is a steal. It's just a great deal for the amount of food you get and I can't get over how low the price is.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I like to try the high end restaurant, especially those with cuisines I am not that familliar with . . Jiko and Boma cases in point.

For me, dining at Disney, no matter upscale or not, is part of the adventure. A trip to Boma or Jiko's means an evening gazing at the animals in the savannah and at the incredible AKL itself.

But, a trip to Trail's End Buffet in Fort Wilderness gives me an excuse to stay for the Campfire program.

Oh . . and Pecos Bill's is great on its own merits too.
    Never underestimate the power of High School Musical!

Pop Century - Dec/2004
    Pop Century - Nov/2005
    Coronado Springs - Dec/2005
    Pop Century - Nov/2007
    Dolphin - Nov-Dec/2007
    Pop Century - Dec 2007

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Our eating schedule

Everyday for lunch we do a big meal at places like Garden Grill, Liberty Tavern, Sci-Fi, 50s Prime Time, etc. Then we eat a light dinner.

However my top 3 economical places to eat are:

Earl of Sandwhich in DTD
    Chicken Fingers at POP Century
    Bacon Cheeseburger at Pecos Bills or Cosmic Rays - MK
    "We'll make a wish and do as dreamers do; and all our wishes will come true!"
    SEPt1998 - RCC - Enchantment of the Seas
    JAN2003 - WDW - ALL STAR MOVIES
    OCT2003 - RCC - Majesty of the Seas
    OCT2004 - RCC - Voyager of the Seas
    JAN'05-SEPT'07 - 4 TRIPS to POP Century

Post Thanks / Like

Part of our vacation IS eating out at the finer restaurants. Heck, it's part of THE vacation. Even before the DDP we always budgeted for a sit down meal every night.

We always have a big breakfast in the morning (Mickey waffles, bacon etc.). We grab a snack around 1:00ish and then by the time 5:00 comes around we ARE ready to sit down an be spoiled with a fantastic meal:mickey

If you consider popcorn & ice cream a meal, enjoy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkerbellfan View Post
    . . . At home, we are less likely to go out for a $150 dinner with appetizers, main course, dessert and several cocktails . . .
    1) Of course, at home, that $150 meal is only about $80.
    2) Maybe that is the reason.
    Average Banjo Picker. Pretty-Good Sailing Master. Newly Ordained.

Post Thanks / Like

I think I see your point.

Is Disney "Fine Dining" the best I've ever had? No.

Is it pretty good? Yes.

Do they tolerate my 4 year old and 2 year old at California Grill? Yes. Thank God. I thought I was never going to eat at a restaurant with cloth napkins again in my entire life.

(I don't get out much. We don't have much in the way of family or babysitting.)

May 2002 WDW
    February 6- 11, 2006 WDW
    September 23-27, 2006 WDW
    September 1-September 9, 2007 WDW
    August 29 - September 6, 2009 WDW
    February 4, 2012 - February 12, 2012 WDW

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheRustyScupper View Post
    1) Of course, at home, that $150 meal is only about $80.
    2) Maybe that is the reason.
    Rusty, that depends on where your home is located. As I live in the Philadelphia area, I like to eat at the nicer restaurants in the Center City or Old City neighborhoods (Restaurants run by Steven Starr are my favorite). Eating at a upscale restaurant in Philadelphia or NYC could easily cost you $150 for a party of 2, when you include appetizers, entrees, desserts and several cocktails or glasses of wine or beer.
    Christine ºoº

Intercot Staff-Accommodations, Dining, Guests with Special Needs

Please support Intercot's Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

You are right Christine. Those Philly restaurants are great. We really like a little place called Matyson. But I digress. We just ate at Jiko last night. Our first time. Tremendous! The dinners are part of our vacation. We were at Rose & Crown tonight, San ANgel tomorrow and Chefs on Wed. We love the "fine" dining options at WDW. We are also trying to eat healthier, (real gae style) and have been pretty successful with staying on track here. The nicer dining locations don't hamper our Disney experience, they engane it. I think that the great thing is that whatever type of food you like and whatever type of dining experience you would like, there is an option at Disney.
    Ed aka Horizon93

"If we can dream it, then we can do it".

DVC owner as of July 07 at AKV, as of Oct 2010 at BWV

Just back from honeymoon at AKV Kidani, July 2013!

Next up...not sure yet, but going back soon! )

Post Thanks / Like

For us, eating in the nicer places is a big part of our vacation. We enjoy going to the parks for when they open, hitting the rides hard until 11:30 and grabbing lunch before the lunch crowd gets too heavy. After lunch we head back to the resort and swim or nap (kids) during the hottest part of the day. Shower up and go for a nice meal around 5:30. After dinner it's back to a park until closing. I don't know if I could do disney without a good sit down meal every night. that's half the fun.
    Planned for 2015, SSR in June, BWV in July
    14 AKL & BCV
    13 WLV & BCV & SSR
    12 AKV, BCV, POFQ
    11 Akv, BCV, SSR
    10 AKV, BCV, WLV
    09 AKV, BCV,POFQ
    08 BWV, WL & BC
    07 OKW
    06 SSR, OKW, BC, PR & DVC
    05 AKL, CBR, WL & HARDROCK
    04 CS & DISNEYLAND
    98 CS
    77, 87, 94 OFF SITE

Post Thanks / Like

as a kid w my family, we were offsite and i was perfectly fine w cheaper places.
    i went offsite w 1st wife
    then i started onsite (not every trip since but most)
    after awhile i went to some higher end places and liked them.
    but buffets were fine also.
    at home i never do fine dining..pizza etc is fine.
    but its vacation, i dont go other places.
    so ive tried Brown Derby, Artist Pt and CA Grill.
    but i cant afford those every night of my trips, some w dining plan and free dining.
    i dont like dressing up though
    BC 2
    WL CL 1
    AKL 4
    SOG 3
    POFQ 3
    POR 2
    CSR 4
    CBR 2
    Asp 3
    AS m 2
    POP 7
    12-13 WL CSR ASM
    3-14 POR, AS s Dolphin
    6-14 Us CSR
    1-14 Unv
    6-15 WL, SSR.
    11- 15. AOA, OKw
    7 16..CSR, FW, AKL, POR
    7 17..ASM, CSR, WL AKL club POP
    8 18 As sports, Pop
    DL 9-19
    DVC WL, CSR and idk 10-20

Post Thanks / Like

I think the debate as to weather or not Disney operates dining establishments worthy of the moniker "fine dining" is simply summed up by two of the crown jewels in the Disney restaurant family.

Victoria and Albert's- The most elegant restaurant at Walt Disney World Resort, with a unique menu created nightly and an award-winning wine cellar. Victoria & Albert's is a seven-year recipient of AAA's prestigious Five Diamond award, currently the only Central Florida restaurant to receive the designation.

Napa Rose, specializing in California wine country cuisine, is under the direction of one of the California’s most talented young chefs, Andrew Sutton. Executive Chef Andrew Sutton comes to the Napa Rose from the renowned Auberge du Soleil in Napa Valley. A graduate of the Culinary Institute of America with 20 years’ experience in classic French kitchens and award winning restaurants, his culinary talents have been recognized nationally and elevated the regional cuisine of Napa Rose to the forefront of contemporary dining.

Enough said. I'm not novice enough to believe that finer restaurants don't exist other places, but you can enjoy a world class experience at the WDW Resort and DL Resort.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    Rusty, that depends on where your home is located. As I live in the Philadelphia area, I like to eat at the nicer restaurants in the Center City or Old City neighborhoods (Restaurants run by Steven Starr are my favorite). Eating at a upscale restaurant in Philadelphia or NYC could easily cost you $150 for a party of 2, when you include appetizers, entrees, desserts and several cocktails or glasses of wine or beer.
    Christine,
    I couldn't agree with you more!
    In fact, I'm probably in the minority here, but I find V&A's to be an absolute bargain for what you get for the price! Try having that meal in a major metropolis... You could easily spend close to $1000 for dinner for two (yes, 2 people) for that type of experience in NYC (complete with wine).
    Frank

DVC Owner
    BWV, BCV, SSR

DisneyJunkie Guest

My wife and I are a married couple (w/o children) in our 30's. We feel that we're spending enough (if well worth it) just for our hotel and park tickets. Eating at the higher end restaurants holds absolutely no appeal whatsoever, and really only would serve to rob us of money and of time better spent in the parks. Most of the time we're content to eat at the fast places like Cosmic Ray's in the Magic Kingdom, or running over to eat at the Roaring Forks Snack stop at the Wilderness Lodge. Food at WDW, to us, serves no real purpose other than to sustain us and energize us for getting back to business.....the rides!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: