Quantcast How will Disney Respond to Universal's Harry Potter Addition? [Merged Threads]

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default How will Disney Respond to Universal's Harry Potter Addition? [Merged Threads]

Did you guys hear about the new theme park within a theme park at Universal?
    Look like Islands of Adventure at US is getting Harry Potter in 2009.

How will this affect Disney's planning? Do you think that Disney will step up bringing in the 5th gate in response?
    Or perhaps add onto MGM or AK?
    Any rumours, educated guesses or crazy theories flying around?

I predict that Disney is going to want to be competitve and I bet they will have a new park within the next 5 years.

I think that my job as a loyal Disney girl is to dream up the best disney possible so that I can take my DH here many more times without him getting bored or going nuts.

What makes the most economic sense for disney is debatable but I do know this, they want me to keep on coming as often as possible.

Some families might only ever go once and some love it so much they will go at least every year, these two groups need to both be happy.

But I'm in the middle, I fit into the category of visitor who wants to come back but can't always justify the expense or interest my hubby unless there is something new to see there, and I think keeping these people happy is the differnce between visiting once every 3 to 7 years and visiting every 1 to 2 years, which is a big difference in park sales for Disney. If Disney wants people to buy the Disney Vacation Club properties they need to do both the spiffying up of the current parks, plus adding on a new land to AK and adding new eticket ride at each park (spacing them out about 1 1/2 years apart), everytime there is a new ride I will probably come and I will bring at least 10 people with me.

Everyone here has awesome suggestions for what Disney should do to improve and Disney needs to listen to them. I don't know if a 5th park is realistic at this point in time but Disney has to think towards the future and in the future it will prob be a great idea, I mean who doesn't want a whole new exciting Disney experience? Maybe if they did do a Disney villians land they would have something my DH would love to see again and again.
    I have never been to DisneySea but is it something that could be combined w AK to save on some of the infrastructure costs and then maybe see it happen alot sooner than if it was a whole new park on its own.

As far as the staffing goes I really can understand what people are saying about it going down hill. And it is a problem but as I just learned from that Golden Dreams ride in Disneyland, every problem has a solution;-)
    I work for Westjet which people in Canada knows has a pretty good reputation for staff(Westjet care), and although Canada has the lowest unemployment rate in decades
    Westjet is getting crazy applicants like 3000 every week. Why you ask? well Disney should hire us to find out really, but I will tell you for free, GREAT corporate culture, pretty fun work environment and profit sharing! Plus they know how to hire an employee who cares and is fun to work with so other people want to work there too. There is alot of things Disney could do to make it a funner place to work, I mean they are Disney for crying out loud they should know about fun and making people happy. Maybe they need to make some dreams come true for some employees? If a Disney employee is proud to work there they will take more pride in their work.
    Last edited by Figment!; 06-01-2007 at 06:11 PM. Reason: Merged 3 posts into 1
    visits WDW-79,87,88,93,97,98,99,02,05, 06,10,11 stayed-offsite, Polynesian, Port Orleans, Wilderness Lodge
    Married at the Disney Wedding Pavilion in February 99,(and still a happy disney girl) , -Disneyland 07-
    - Next DisneyWorld JANUARY 2012

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    TiggerRPh Guest

I personally don't think it's going to do anything to Disney planning. Disney needs to spend a lot of money fixing up MK and Epcot, and getting something to do in the Studios. I think AK is okay for now.

Post Thanks / Like

I still think it's too soon to start building the 5th gate. However, planning for it is probably not a bad idea. With all of the new rooms that are slated to be built in the next 5-10 years (DVC at AK, Four Seasons, Contemporary tower, Wester way), there will be a lot more people on property, so they will need to add more capacity within the next 10 years.

Hopefully, Disney doesn't do a knee-jerk reaction to Uni's Harry Potter attraction. Although, both AK and DS could both use some new additions. If they did anything, I would like to see something done with the area at AK that was previously going to be used for the Beastly Kingdom. Not that I necessarily think they need to build it like they planned, but do something with it.

While I think the 5th gate will probably start to be built in the next 10 years, I have to wonder how it will effect how people spend their vacation. As is, a seven day trip to WDW has enough to keep you busy for the entire time, and still not see everything. With 4 parks, 2 water parks, and Downtown Disney, it's a challenge to plan and schedule everything. Most guests spend 4-7 days at WDW, which means they are at least going to visit the 4 parks in that time. But, imagine what will happen when there is a 5th park added. Guests staying less than 5 days will have a dilemma/decision to make with reagrds to which park not to visit.
    Everybody else is thinking it, I'm just saying it. - Mr Gibbs
    ---
    2/00-OKW/BW
    9/00-YC
    7/01-BW
    12/01-Doubletree Suites (DTD)
    4/02-WL
    4/03-BW
    2/04-Mariott Horizons
    7/04-POP
    2/06-POP
    9/06-POP
    9/07-POP
    6/08-Dolphin/POP
    10/09-POP
    10/10-POP
    3/10-CSR

Post Thanks / Like

It's not like Disney to do nothing after a competitor announces such a big plan. Sea World announced plans for a new water park not to long ago, now IOA is getting a whole new themed land and Disney does nothing.....doubt it! But I am sure there will be no 5th gate for at least 10 years. Disney has some tricks up there sleves like turning MGM in to Pixar land I will be happy if we can just get Space MT. updated like the one in DL.
    șoș Annual Passholders Since 2005 șoș
    Last Trip: Sept 07 POR
    WL 08 canceled because I am pregnant!
    Next trip...WL or POLY??

Post Thanks / Like

Disney really doesn't need "compete" with the Harry Potter addition. Universal needed Harry a lot more than Disney did. Disney will "respond" to this in some way and we will all be the better for it but they wouldn't suffer if they stood pat
    Next WDW Trip: July 13 - 22, 2016 Wilderness Lodge

"There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow shining at the end of every day!"

"Let's Don't be Silly..." - The Mad Hatter

Post Thanks / Like

Default Watch out!!! here comes Harry!!!

Harry Potter coming to Universal Studios...What do all you guys think of this!!
    Disneys not going out of business because of this, but do you think they should counter with something. As all of you know, Harry Potter is very popular and I think disney is going to hurt a little from this.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree that Disney doesn't need to do anything. Frankly, I think that Harry will have an initial high volume but its pretty hard to see how you can re-create the books atmosphere in Florida. Its not like people can ride broomsticks and actually play Quidditch. So I think that the initial interest won't necessarily transform into longevity, just like so much of the rest of Universal.
    26 years staying at the Polynesian
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday...
    Twenty six straight years staying at the Polynesian
    Next trip: October 2018

Post Thanks / Like

Really, the Harry Potter addition will just about bring Universal up to more competitive levels with Disney. I predict Disney will be hitting something new out in the Orlando parks in the next ten years, but they're not worried or in a rush. The fact is that though the Harry Potter addition will be popular and a reason to visit Universal, Disney still holds the edge on bringing in the crowds to stay at Disney and make their parks a priority.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Grasping...

I just think upon realizing that they will never measure up, Universal is grasping at straws to compete....not to worry. Disney will remain strong and is probably working on something bigger.
    Kathy
    [COLOR=DarkRed]

'72, '88, '91, '92, '93, '94, '95, '96, '97, '99, '00, '01, 3/03, 10/03, 1/05, 4/05, 1/06, 10/06, 1/07, 5/07, 12/07, 10/08, 5/09, 11/09, 1/10, 10/10, 12/10, 10/11, 07/12, 11/12, 10/13, 4/14, DCL6/14, 10/14, 1/15, 5/15, WL8/15 & 11/15! Finally Moved to FLORIDA 2/16!! :D

Post Thanks / Like

I do not think they would hurt. I have been to Universal for a day. I was not to impressed. They do not have alot of rides for little ones. But I would be interested to see what they come up with in this part. I think other people will probably be interested but the Disney fanatics like me will be at Disney every year.
    Walt will always be my HERO.

1973 - 1999 Disneyland twice a month
    2003 June offsite WDW
    2004 & 2006 Dec. AK
    2007 Feb. PP Disneyland
    2008 Jan. All Star Movies
    2009 Jun. DLH Disneyland

Post Thanks / Like

It will raise Universal up to more competitive levels, but it still won't make much of an impact as far as Universal cutting into Disney's crowd. People may see more reason to leave Disney parks and try Universal for a day, but that's about it. For Universal, it's a start. For Disney, it's something to watch but no major cause for concern.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Although I know that this view is a bit naive...

I do not look at the different parks being in a compitition. I think of them more as complimentary. I have been to Orlando a number of times back in the 90's (got married in 01, kid in 02).
    I have enjoyed going to universal studio's. I thought that the addition of Islands of adventure was a good thing.
    I enjoyed Sea world, and in the past have spent plenty of time minature golfing,eating out & going to water parks that were in Kissimee or orlando.
    I have always found these excursions to be fun for what they are.
    When I want the Magic- there is only one place I go. WDW and the CM's just do it right.
    I prefer to stay in the park when I am there.
    I think that the vast majority of people come to WDW for the magic.
    I think it only enhances the magic when other parks "try to compete". I hope universal studios does well with harry potter. I think JKRowlings is a very smart person & has the understanding that she needs to have 'control' over her vision. Unfortunatly with disney, the marrage would not work with harry potter.
    I would hope that disney will do more with PIXAR at Disney MGM stuidios. There are so many great stories that they have come out with that there are so many places to go (rides, etc).
    So basically I think by doing Harry Potter, Universal will be a better place. Better than the WORLD ? Absolutly not. But as the consumer it should be good.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Disney-Pixar Studios

From I've been hearing, Disney-MGM Studios will become - Disney-Pixar Studios. It may even be announced as early as this fall. As for the fifth park, try about 8 years - 2015. You don't think they're building those new hotel projects for nothing? There may also be a new water park announced next year.

Post Thanks / Like

Default It's DISNEY!

Disney is Disney, It's a MASSIVE drawcard in itself! No need to worry about that funny looking Harry Potter kid!
    Little Disney Lovers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by little disney lovers View Post
    Disney is Disney, It's a MASSIVE drawcard in itself! No need to worry about that funny looking Harry Potter kid!

I agree ...all parks are constantly bringing in new additions or updating shows/ rides .... The reason
    why people are drawn to Orlando is because of DIsney NOT Universal ..... yes people will visit this attraction when it comes out ..but only after no doubt what reviews its gets

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RAIDER View Post
    I agree ...all parks are constantly bringing in new additions or updating shows/ rides .... The reason
    why people are drawn to Orlando is because of DIsney NOT Universal ..... yes people will visit this attraction when it comes out ..but only after no doubt what reviews its gets

I really think you folks are underestimating this. Disney needs something FANTATSTIC and soon.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cetacean01 View Post
    I really think you folks are underestimating this. Disney needs something FANTATSTIC and soon.
    AK (the Disney park with the lowest attendence) had 8.91 million visitors in 2006 while IOA had 5.30 million. Disney has absolutely nothing to worry about. If anything, the Harry Potter addition might stop the dropping attendence that IOA has had over the past couple of years. And just because the books are popular does not necessarily translate into a successful area of a theme park.
    Mike

Trips: 1983,1986,1988,1991 - Off-site
    Jan 2001 - WL
    Nov 2004 - WL

Sep 2005 - AKL
    Sep 2007 - Poly
    May 2009 - CBR
    May 2010 - Poly
    Oct 2010 - Pop
    May 2012 - BC
    Next trip May 2014 - BC

Post Thanks / Like

It will be interesting to see what US does with Potter now that they have him. I can't see them (or anyone) out-Disneying Disney. That being said, competition is good. I think really cool things will come out of this at Disney in the long run.
    "There's a great big beautiful tomorrow shining at the end of every day..."

1973- Disneyland
    1981- WDW- OS
    1991- WDW- OS
    1995- WDW- CBR
    2000- WDW- DLR
    2001- WDW- ASM
    2009- WDW- POFQ
    2010 (November)-WDW POR
    2015 (December...with the grandkids)WDW ASM
    2019- WDW- POR

Post Thanks / Like

One word....PIRATES!!!

Expand on the pirates line! As popular as Harry Potter is, the box office numbers do not touch POTC!

Talk about a way to respond! I mean, they already own one of the most successful film franchises of all time! They wouldn't have to spend a dime to acquire any rights

Update Adventureland! Give us an interactive Black Pearl to climb on. Install one of the better Indiana Jones attractions! Make Adventureland adventureous again without sacrifce.

Wow...who would have guessed....they don't need ideas from other outside visionaries...Walt knew all along....
    Nick Capp
    DVC Member
    Disney's Beach Club Villas
    Up Next!: Spring Break at the Springs!

"Faith is kind, she gives to those who love."

Post Thanks / Like

I think the Harry Potter addition will more than likely be, well, stunning! There is so much they can do with this, and I agree with previous a previous poster, I think people are under-estimating what could turn out to be breathtaking. And im sure Disney is noticing this is going to be a BIG deal, or I hope they are anyway.
    Walt Disney World College Program:
    Upcoming: 08-27-07 to 01-04-08 Operations!!!

"Keep Moving Forward"-Walt Disney

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: