Quantcast Are we Out of Luck?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Are we Out of Luck?

Seeing as it's my family's first trip to WDW, we were unaware of some things....particulary about making dinner reservations well in adavance of our trip. We fly out in three days, on the 1st and are staying until the ninth.

After reading about how far in advance restaurants can be booked up, I have a few questions for those of you more experienced than me. We figure that we will have lots of trouble getting into some of the more popular restaurants, and are most likely SOL in that area.

- If you can manage to get into the restuarants on a wait time, how long is the average wait?

-Are there some places to eat that are easier to get into without a reservation that you would reccomend?

-If we were to call today, what are our chances at getting a reservation?

Just to add a ittle info, we are a famiy that isn't very picky, enjoys almost anything, and does not mind eating early or late.

Thank you so much for your help!
    1995-2008// [7 Disneyland Trips] Offsite
    June 2007// [1st Ever WDW Trip!] POR
    June 2009// [WDW #2 ]Animal Kingdom Lodge

It's kind of fun to do the impossible. -Walt Disney

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I've never tried walking up, so I can't help on the wait time. I would guess at least an hour wait at most places if they'll seat you at all. I think it will get harder to find places as your stay progresses.

Some of the WS restaurants are easier to get into, and some are the hardest tickets at WDW. Marrakesh is easier, but still not easy.

I'd call *right now*. Have a list of some places you want to try, and take what you can find. You can always cancel them later. If you get a good CM on the phone, they'll help you out a lot, too. Make sure they know that you didn't realize about ADRs and they may be more sympathetic and thus more willing to help you.
    ~~Julie~~

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

I wouldn't worry quite so much ... it's probably not as hopeless as you think ...

Quote Originally Posted by ojeilatan View Post
    - If you can manage to get into the restuarants on a wait time, how long is the average wait?
    It really depends. I've done walk-ups at restaurants that WDW Dine told me were full and gotten seated immediately. Other times I've had to wait 45 minutes to an hour. But the nice thing about WDW is that you can always wander around and do some things while you wait for your table.

-Are there some places to eat that are easier to get into without a reservation that you would reccomend?
    I would say yes. The most popular places are Alfredo's in Epcot's Italy, Chefs De France in (surprise, surprise) Epcot's France, Coral Reef (at the Living Seas pavilion in Epcot), Teppanyaki Dining (at Japan in Epcot), California Grill (at the Contemporary), and a few others. But you might have luck if you try China (Nine Dragons), or Canada (Le Cellier). I can get in there at times. You may have luck eating at some of the resort restaurants too. They fill up a little more slowly than the theme park restaurants. Exceptions being like Jiko at Citrico's and places like that.

-If we were to call today, what are our chances at getting a reservation?
    If you're flexible with your times and dates, I would say they're excellent. It's busy around this time but not crazy busy and there's no free dining, so I think you'll be able to get most of what you want. You may have to go at some less-than-ideal times, but I still think you'll be okay.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Don't wait and take a chance on getting seated without a reservation. Call now and get the best seating times you can. Your situation may be different, but i would rather know that i have a reservation at a certain place and time, than just taking my chances. Crowds are beginning to pick up now that schools are letting out. So the odds of getting table service are dwindling by the day. Call now!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Please don't worry!!!!

Hi!

I would call ASAP, you may not be able to get the times of day you prefer (dinnertime, lunchtime) but you may be able to get off times, earlier than dinner, or really late. Some restaurants may be just booked solid, and don't accept walkups.

The other thing to do is make as many ADRs as you can but when you get to the park, go to Guest Services and see if you can move things around. Castmembers there have been extremely helpful to me in the past when Le Cellier was completely booked, they offered other suggestions, even places I hadn't thought of.

You should be ok!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I promise.

Eat, drink and be with Mickey!!!
    -- Dawn

2002 ASMo
    2003 ASMo
    2005 Condo Offsite
    Jan 06 Boardwalk
    Oct 06 Orlando World Center Marriott
    Oct 07 Condo Offsite
    Jan 09 - It's my birthday!! Coronado Springs
    Nov 10 Long weekend offsite, 2 days
    Sept 2011 Port Orleans Riverside
    May 2012 BLT

Post Thanks / Like

Last year was our first trip to WDW and I was fortunate to get an awesome CM who helped me through the ADR process.
    Do you have an idea of what parks you are going to be at which days?
    If so, I would also write down the places you would like to eat and then call 1-800-wdw-dine and talk with the CM to see what is available on the days you are in certain parks.
    Being flexible on your times will really help and hopefully you will be pleasantly surprised!

I would try to make at least a few ADR's and not leave everything to the luck of walk ups when you get there.
    Liz
    March 2006-POP!
    September 2007-POP!

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Thank you!

Thank you so much everyone, you've been extremely helpful! We will be sitting down tonight and calling in to see what is available. We may try a few walk ups for lunch, but we will see what we can get for dinner. And we do have an idea of where we will be, so that should help loads. Thank you so much again! If anyone else has any more suggestions, they would be greaty appreciated

Post Thanks / Like

Keep us posted on how you make out. Good luck!
    Danielle

First Trip: April 1977
    Last Trip:- June 15-June 27 BLT and Vero Beach
    Next Trip: June 20-30 Vero Beach

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyatic View Post
    Do you have an idea of what parks you are going to be at which days?
    If so, I would also write down the places you would like to eat and then call 1-800-wdw-dine and talk with the CM to see what is available on the days you are in certain parks.
    Being flexible on your times will really help and hopefully you will be pleasantly surprised!

I would try to make at least a few ADR's and not leave everything to the luck of walk ups when you get there.
    Excellent advice. We always have a general idea on where we are going to be each day and base our meals around that park. I would call and see what you can get, try to be flexible and I'm hoping you'll get some of the places you want. If Dinners don't work try lunch and then have a snacky dinner.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by tinkerbell04 View Post
    Keep us posted on how you make out. Good luck!
    Thanks and will do! I'll have a pre-trip report up a few days before we leave!

Post Thanks / Like

Here are some places I'd bet you are likely to still get in, even as walk-ups, especially if you are willing to eat early:
    Marrakesh in Epcot
    The sit-down Chinese Restaurant in Epcot
    Grand Floridian Cafe at the GF
    Citricos at the GF
    Spoodles at the Boardwalk
    Either Gulliver's Grill or the new Italian Restaurant at the Swan
    The Dolphin Fountain at the Dolphin (no reservations).
    Bistro de Paris at Epcot (excellent, but not really suitable for kids).
    Some of these - especially the Bistro de Paris, Citricos, and Spoodles, are really very good restaurants that have never been full when I've eaten there early (such as 5:30 to 6:00 or so). Marrakesh is also a great experience - very pretty, very unusual, with belly dancers and musicians - and not bad food. Because it's cuisine is less familiar to most Americans, it can usually take last-minute or walk-up diners.
    I also encourage you to go ahead and call. I once snagged a table for two at the California Grill just a couple of days in advance!

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

thanks anneb! I'm saving this list, so that if we are closer to these restaurants when we have a reservation elsewhere, we could maybe cancel at do a walk-up at some of these. These also sound like good places to try for lunch! thanks again!

Post Thanks / Like

Even if you don't get ADRs for a lot of table service meals, there are quite a lot of good counter service meal choices. Last time we went we did a lot of CS meals but treated them more like TS in that we took our time, relaxed and people watched while we ate. We did this both at the parks and at the resorts and it was great. Good luck and enjoy your first time at WDW!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I was going to say what vamaggie said! There will be quite a few counter service restaurants at each park so you will be able to eat if the table service spots are booked. We like Columbia Harbor House in MK a lot and actually have chosen that over a table service. If you go there, sit upstairs where it may be quieter. I would take a look at your park days, look at the table service restaurants that you might enjoy, and call tonight to see if you can get an ADR. Good luck!!
    Kelly

4/98 Offsite
    11/03 Make a Wish Trip
    8/05, 4/07, 4/08, 4/09, 4/11, 4/12, 4/13, 4.14
    Sheraton Vistana Resort
    11/07 Hilton Grand Vacations Sea World

Next Trip: 04/15 Sheraton Vistana

Give the Gift of Life; Be an Organ Donor!!

Post Thanks / Like

I am assuming you are not doing the Disney Dining Plan... am I right?
    I think you will be fine. I'd try for ADR's at your first choices- for lunch or dinner. Lunch is often easier- and cheaper!
    Also consider character breakfasts- some of them are not too hard to get into last minute.

If you are striking out at the places you want to eat- go for counter service. There is a lot of excellent counter service food to be found in the parks. You will not starve! In the World Showcase- most of the countries have a CS place. Yakitori House in Japan and the Fish & Chips stand in the UK are our favorites. Also in Epcot, the Land Pavilion has an excellent CS place downstairs.
    If you are not on the Dining Plan, there's no harm in eating mostly counter service meals. You will still have a filling and enjoyable experience.

I look forward to reading your trip reports from your very first trip to WDW!
    Linda
    aka: wendy*darling

INTERCOT Staff:
    Disney & Orlando Dining/Nightlife, Shopping & Water Parks/Disney Vacation Club

DVC owners at WLV, BCV and SSR
    Next up: VWL & POFQ Dec 2009 - just adults!
    On Deck: DCL Wonder Dec 2010... but I'm sure we can come up with something before then!

Post Thanks / Like

Would you happen to be staying at a concierge-level resort? I've heard of the concierge staff making some remarkable ADR magic happen, even this late in the game...

Good luck. I bet it will work out pleasantly for you, and you'll have some teriffic dining!

cgriff

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a little late coming to this thread, but I wanted to add my 2 cents anyways.

Last year, we decided to go to WDW last minute (FOUR days before our departure date, we booked the plane tickets and hotel). I called to make some ADRs (in August) and did not have much trouble.

Are you on the dining plan? If not, you don't need to eat a TS meal every day. If you are on the DDP, you will definitely want to use those TS credits.

Call now, but also keep calling each day, as people get caught up at WDW and change plans (we canceled 2 of our 4 ADRs on last year's trip) and you may be able to get some same-day ADRs.

Good luck!
    Disney World: 10/92 Yacht Club, 11/96 Disney Institute, 12/00 Yacht Club, 6/05 Beach Club, 8/06 Shades of Green, 8/07 Caribbean Beach Resort, 10/07 Coronado Springs, 12/08 French Quarter, 3/10 All Star Sports, 4/12 Port Orleans Riverside

Disneyland: 1987, 1997, 2002, 2008, 2010, 2013

Post Thanks / Like

Ya know? Lots of times, it's just being at the right podium at the right time. We've walked up in Dec. and were seated within minutes, but this is June????

Call, and see what you can get. I've got my fingers crossed for you. Whatever happens, you'll find something wonderful to enjoy at a walk-up or resort if you miss a premier restaurant.
    REMEMBER WHO YOU ARE!!
    1998 Shades of Green
    1999, 2000,2001, Shades of Green
    2002 Contemporary - 2003 Contemporary - 2004, 2005,2006, Shades of Green
    Dec. 2007 First trip to Disneyland
    Dec. 2008 Shades of Green & JQ "meet"

Post Thanks / Like

Last year we changed our plans and went to MGM instead. Right when we got to the park we actually went to the service center to see about mailing a letter. When we were there a CM told us that he could check and see if there were any openings at any of the restaurants. We got into 50's Primetime Cafe at dinner with no problem.

Post Thanks / Like

That is something a lot of people don't know about. If you don't get in somewhere you might like to try, as soon as you get to the park in the morning go to the customer service desk and check the listing. Sometimes people are nice enough to actually call and cancel a reservation in advance if they decide not to hit the park they planned on that day. Then something may open. There are usually several chances to try and get in somewhere you will like. Good Luck and have fun.
    dm2K
    1993 - BC/Cruise; 1996 - BC; 1998 - BC; 2000 - YC; 2002 - FQ; 2004 - Campground/BC; 2005 - POR; 2007 - BWI; 2008 - AKL; Christmas 2010 - BC; 2011 - All Star Sports; 2012 - AKL & WL; 2013 - DL and CSR

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: