Quantcast Tent Camping?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Thread: Tent Camping?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tent Camping?

I see a lot of posts about RVs and pop-ups, what about tent camping? Without the benefit of a/c in the Florida heat, how many people actually tent camp? And how many people do you comfortably fit into how large a tent for how long? We are a family of 3 - adopting another so eventually 4 - with a 10 by 10 tent - doable?

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't know about camping in Florida in summer months-I get too hot camping in Michigan summers! But we have a bunk bed cot for our boys and it saves a lot of space! We got it at Cabella's. They will hold up to 300lbs. for each cot and are quite long (great for growing boys!).-They can also be set up individually, but our tent is 15 x 10, and with the cots as bunks, we have a free corner for a table/dressing area. Have a great vacation!
    All Star Sports-Hurricane Jeanne & Old Key West-2004
    All Star Movie, Old Key West, Coronado Spring-2005
    Wilderness Lodge-Club Level-2007
    All-Star Movies-November 2008
    AKL-Jambo House, Club Level - Feb 2011
    Contemporary Resort-May 2014
    Grand Floridian Resort- November 2015

Post Thanks / Like

We love to tent camp, and have done so many times at FW. We have a 17x15 Kelty tent that has all the room we need. However, that has always been in the late fall and winter months. If we camp during the summer at FW, we bring the camper with AC
    1975-2000 Family Trips, FW
    Nov 2005- FW
    June 2006- FW
    Feb 2007- FW
    Dec 2007- POFQ
    Feb 2008- POR
    July 2008- WL
    Dec 2008- FW
    Feb 2012- POFQ
    Herb
    Proud Passholder

Post Thanks / Like

We've tent camped in May and October. Not sure I would want to be tent camping in late June or July in Florida (though I've done it in Virginia in mid-summer)!

Though we didn't do this at Fort Wilderness, we've put as many as 8 plus a dog in our Coleman 10 x 12! You don't spend much time inside your tent when it's camping unless it's rainy. At Disney World, you have lots of options for rainy days outside of your tent!

I'd definitely recommend a ground tarp to sit under your tent!
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

We brought a Boy Scout troop to tent camp in late June 2001, and are doing it again just 3 weeks from today!

When we camped, it was hot, but dry. We were all able to cool off and get showered and un-sticky in the air conditioned comfort stations. At night there was always enough of a breeze to make sleeping quite comfortable.
    We camp in the group camping area- so no electricity at the sites. The regular sites do have electric, and many people bring fans, etc.
    We didn't think we missed anything by not having them though.
    Linda
    aka: wendy*darling

INTERCOT Staff:
    Disney & Orlando Dining/Nightlife, Shopping & Water Parks/Disney Vacation Club

DVC owners at WLV, BCV and SSR
    Next up: VWL & POFQ Dec 2009 - just adults!
    On Deck: DCL Wonder Dec 2010... but I'm sure we can come up with something before then!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dinahvixen View Post
    I see a lot of posts about RVs and pop-ups, what about tent camping? Without the benefit of a/c in the Florida heat, how many people actually tent camp? And how many people do you comfortably fit into how large a tent for how long? We are a family of 3 - adopting another so eventually 4 - with a 10 by 10 tent - doable?
    We tent camped at FW 3 yrs ago in May. We had a fan in the tent with us. We also had 2 tents connected by a tunnel. One strictly for sleeping and one for changing and supplies. Bring a long outdoor extension cord to bring the electricity from the pole behind your tent to the front.

Also, check out this link {link removed per Intercot's terms of service} It is supposed to cool the air and is fairly lightweight and inexpensive. Also go to walmart and search portable air conditioners.

You really don't spend much time in the tent except for sleeping. One other tip for keeping cool is to sit a fan over an open cooler and have a fan blowing over it.

Happy camping!
    Last edited by faline; 06-06-2007 at 05:19 AM. Reason: Link to external site
    mom to 6: dd19, ds16, dd11, ds7, dd6, and dd4
    next trip: Feb 1-11, 2008
    Fort Wilderness fan

Post Thanks / Like

We did this a few years back in June and loved it! Sure, it was hot...but we rigged a fan in the tent and we were there only to sleep at night. The temperature dropped to tolerable overnight and we really enjoyed it. It was the FIRST time I had ever tent camped and I would do it again in a heartbeat! We flew down and it really helped to have rented a Dodge Caravan van. We kept our clothes in the van and used the tent just for sleeping. We ate all our meals out.
    Anyone can cook!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: