Quantcast More Monrails

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: More Monrails

Post Thanks / Like

Default More Monrails

While talking with a fellow employee and Disney enthusiast today she told me that the one thing the Disney folks hear more than anything that people want on the Florida propert is more monorails.

But at over $1M per mile and with zero revenue generation it isn't likely to happen.

She also mentioned that the two darkened areas on the Dolphin and the Swan were originally intended for a monorail to pass through.

I am not doubting her, but rather am intrigued. Does anyone else know more on any of these facts? I can believe that Disney woudn't want to invest more in monorails if they aren't getting any hard returns.

We too enjoy riding the monorail and try to do it at least once between Epcot and the Magic Kingdom per trip. It is great way to get a different perspective on the property and the kids always enjoy it.

Lastly, where, within reason, would you suggest Disney biuld another monorail? TTC to DTD? TTC to AK? It might take away from the aesthetics of the park, but it would be neat to be able to see the Savannah from above.
    Beth & David

09/82 Treehouse Villas, 06/86 BVP, 10/95 CBR, 10/99 DI, 08/03 PORS, 10/05 POP, 11/06 AKL, 09/09 POLY, 10/10 Wonder, 05/11 Dream/PORS, 08/13 POLY, 11/13 GF, 04/15 POLY, 11/15 BLT, 11/16 Aulani, 03/17 BLT, 08/18 BLT, 07/19 AKL, 06/21 BLT

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by baldburke View Post

But at over $1M per mile and with zero revenue generation it isn't likely to happen.

That was in 1971 dollars so it is actually much more today. And only for the trackl they would still have to purchase more trains and build stations. Unfortunately buses are much cheaper

She also mentioned that the two darkened areas on the Dolphin and the Swan were originally intended for a monorail to pass through
    This is definitely not true. There is no way Disney would have a monorail go through hotels that they do not operate.

While it would be great to see morew monorails it is not cost effective and I would rather see the money spent on new attractions and improving the parks
    Jeff (aka JPL)
    Former VMK alias figgiefig
    Intercot Staff
    Disney Tech - Software, Games & Web
    The Locker Room
    Disney Vacation Club

[email protected]

"Remember it all started with a Mouse"

Post Thanks / Like

Wink

The monorails are cool, but they belong where they are...
    However, a new high speed transport system does not need to be something as old as 1970 tech. A light rail system, linking all the remaining resorts & AK & MGM would be something to dream about...

also it could be a 'green' energy train...

Post Thanks / Like

Peoplemover, or a TTA type ride would be alot more better cost wise...
    ŴĐŴ∫âňăŧĭć aka David șoș

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WDWfanatic742 View Post
    Peoplemover, or a TTA type ride would be alot more better cost wise...
    and a whole lot cooler, too!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by baldburke View Post
    She also mentioned that the two darkened areas on the Dolphin and the Swan were originally intended for a monorail to pass through.

Lastly, where, within reason, would you suggest Disney biuld another monorail? TTC to DTD? TTC to AK? It might take away from the aesthetics of the park, but it would be neat to be able to see the Savannah from above.
    I read an article on this at another website. If you Google Swan and Dolphin, it comes up. It is not true. The darkened areas were designed there for visual effect only. The monorail running through idea is only a rumor that has cropped up through the years.

The idea is that the Swan and Dolphin are actually mountains rising from the landscape (which is somehow supposed to explain the banana leaves painted on the exterior?). The darkened areas are to simulate the peak of the mountain. I don't really see that the architect pulled off what he was going for at that rate, but the article on the design and building of the Dolphin and Swan made for fascinating reading.

A monorail link(or similar but updated system) to AK from the TTC would be amazing! Not going to happen, probably, but how neat that would be.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

I don't know that you'll ever see an expansion of the existing monorail system, but if Disney can ever come up with a cost effective alternative to the busses they would probably implement it.

I remember reading an article awhile back about a TTA-type of system they were considering using. I think there is a company out there somewhere that builds them for cities that Disney was talking to for awhile. Not sure where that ever went, though.

I don't think Disney is a huge fan of their bus system, really. It's reasonably expensive to run, it pollutes a lot (for which they catch a lot of heat since they're supposed to be so into "environmentality"), and I don't think most guests feel like they're very magical. I know I don't.
    Ian șOș
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! ș0ș

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=JPL;1294682]

This is definitely not true. There is no way Disney would have a monorail go through hotels that they do not operate.

Actually I was told by the boat captain while doing a fireworks cruise that this was true. He said they had originally planned to run the monorail through them.
    Tinkerfreak
    oct./nov. 2002-AKL
    oct./nov. 2003-WL
    nov. 2004-AKL
    oct./nov. 2005-AKL
    Dec. 2006 BC
    April 2007 AKL
    oct./nov. 2007 AKL/Poly
    oct./nov. 2008 POFQ/AKL
    Nov. 2009 CBR
    May 2010 BW

Post Thanks / Like

[quote=Tinkerfreak;1295105]
    Quote Originally Posted by JPL View Post

Actually I was told by the boat captain while doing a fireworks cruise that this was true. He said they had originally planned to run the monorail through them.
    I too was told this was true by a CM. By a monorail pilot no less. However, it has been mentioned here many times that CMs have been known to perpetuate rumors and myths.

Post Thanks / Like

This question came up while we were on the Backstage Magic Tour last month. The tour guide echoed what has been mentioned above that the cost of adding more monorail track was just too prohibitive.

He also said, as was stated previously, that Disney would love to replace at least some of the busses, but hasn't come up with a viable alternative.

Jeff
    Disney Vacation Club Member

The Beach Club
    Remember the Magic!

Post Thanks / Like

Back in 2000, I took a Disney survey. It was on the second floor of the Land, and they paid me $50.00 in vouchers, which we used to pay for dinner.

It was all about if I would be willing to pay more $$$$$ for hotel and park passes if they were to extend the monorail to the AK.

Apparently, it is well hidden, but there are already transportation charges in both your hotel stay and your park pass.

I consistently responded that I would be willing to pay "moderate" increases to be able to take a monorail to the AK.

Unfortunately - 9/11 occurred and most park improvements were put on hold. And maybe, most people said that they wouldn't agree to pay more........

I wish they could add more monorail tracks - its such a pleasant ride compared to the buses.
    SSR & BC DVC Member
    Coming up - BWV July '18
    BWI '98, BWV '05, '08-16
    BLT - '15, '17
    Beach Club '96, BCV - '04, '06, 09
    Swan '07
    Contemporary - '91, '94, '02, '04
    Wilderness Lodge '00, VWL, 08
    Off Site - '80's

Post Thanks / Like

I know I have brought it up before, just google Maglev. You may have to put some other keywords such as Powder Springs, GA as well. This system is a little more cost effective than the current monorail system and there have been some RUMORS... they are only rumors at this point, but I would love to see it down there.
    ~Tripp West
    Dream CMO Top 3!

1977, 1983, 1986, 1989, 1993, 1996, 2000, 2005, 2006,
    DVC Trips
    12/2006(SSR), 2/2007(OKW),9/2007(OKW),12/07 (ASM-Got a great AP Discount),3/08 (BWV)

Post Thanks / Like

Well ,it could be cost effective over time ,when considering all the probabilities. If a monorail line was added between the Epcot resorts ,Animal Kingdom , and Downtown Disney it would be extremely expensive ,but you would have to take the following scenarios in to account . The reduced usage of busses , the reduced travel time for guests , which translates to more time spent at the parks and the spending of more money. Also , the increased customer base that might be more willing to stay at Disney with more efficient transportation. Likewise ,it would be cheaper to operate monorails ,once established , and as someone said ,less polluting. I don't know if the current monorail stations are ready-capable for this now , but it seems possible that they could add an extra car on to each monorail train to increase capacity by around 20 %. All those factors ,over time , could make it cost efficient. You also have to realize that Disney would add the price tag to future ticket ,concession , and lodging pricing , anyway.

" Everybody's got a laughin' place "

Steve

Trips to Walt Disney World : many !

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zippy_D_DooDah View Post
    I know I have brought it up before, just google Maglev. You may have to put some other keywords such as Powder Springs, GA as well. This system is a little more cost effective than the current monorail system and there have been some RUMORS... they are only rumors at this point, but I would love to see it down there.
    Thanks for the information. I just read about Maglev, and it really looks incredible. I don't know if Disney would need all of the speed I was reading about, but I'm sure it would one day be a better option than the busses. I thought it was interesting that maglev comes from superconducting magnetically levitated vehicle. It seems like economic feasability is still an issue with maglev, but it looks like it has possibilities for the future. I'd put the source up, but I don't want to break posting rules. As the above poster said, just google maglev, and you'll get there.

Jeff
    Disney Vacation Club Member

The Beach Club
    Remember the Magic!

Post Thanks / Like

As WDW grew, the biggest issue that gave busses an edge over monorails is flexibility. The original monorail loop was easy. Adding a second line to Epcot was easy. Now, with so many destinations - hotels, theme parks, water parks, DTD - what points would you connect? Busses allow them to adjust the routes as often as they want.

Now, alternative fuel busses ...
    WDW Visitor since 1973, DVC member since 2000

lockedoutlogic Guest

Two things:

1. First...I worked on a project where a Michael Graves architect was involved...and casually asked if he could find out about the monorail thing after a meeting....a few months later he told me after another meeting that the structure of the building was built to support a station platform in the center....

For $50...figure out how Michael Graves was involved and why they would be an "authority" on the matter

Remember that the Swan and Dolphin were not simply an experiment...Eisner believed at the time that was how all future WDW resorts would be operated. It was only after massive disagreements with the builders and operators that they decided to build Disney resorts such as Wilderness, All Star, Coronado, Boardwalk and others.....
    That would be a very different perspective on whether or not they intended to "allow" an outside run hotel to have the monorail pass through it.

2. Disney's bus system is now almost entirely run off natural gas....which is about six times more efficient and 1/3 as polluting as unleaded gasoline...
    ...the cabs at WDW generate more pollution and consume far more fuel than their buses.
    Natural Gas buses due run about 300K each to purchase though

Post Thanks / Like

While I would also love to see the monorail system expanded, I also don't see Disney (at least now) expanding it, especially given what lockedout mentioned about natural gas.

Even though those cost about 300k, it's still cheaper than the expansion.

One can still dream, though, eh?
    May '14 -- OKW 1 bdrm
    Dec '13 -- OKW + Off site
    Mar '13 -- Saratoga Springs
    Apr '12 -- Disney Fantasy 7Nt EC
    June '11 --BLT for SWW, July '11 -- OKW
    Dec '10 -- Disney Magic 7 Nt EC/5 nights POFQ
    DVC @ BLT Dec 2010 Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post
    Two things:

1. First...I worked on a project where a Michael Graves architect was involved...and casually asked if he could find out about the monorail thing after a meeting....a few months later he told me after another meeting that the structure of the building was built to support a station platform in the center....
    As I said earlier in the thread, another site features an article on the Swan and Dolphin in which the author has spoken to the Michael Graves Design Group, and they make clear that the intention was absolutely never to run a monorail through these buildings, and that the dark areas were visual peaks. And if you look at the Michael Graves Designs body of work, the dark square area is a technique they have employed in other buildings(Humana Building in Louisville, the Portland Public Service Building) that obviously never intended a monorail platform, so I tend to believe that it was never the intention at all but merely a myth perpetuated and repeated in rumor through the years.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think you'll ever see a monorail going to DTD, even if they did expand the rails.

Since parking is free and open to anyone at anytime, it would create too easy access to the parks. Not to mention that it would probably be overrun with the local teens who hang out at Westside.
    ~ valerie ~

* Animal Kingdom Lodge * Contemporary * Polynesian * Wilderness Lodge * Tree House Villas * Golf Resort/Disney Inn * Fort Wilderness * Port Orleans Riverside/French Quarter * Caribbean Beach * Swan * All Star Sports Music Movies * Coronado Springs * Pop Century *

Post Thanks / Like

I think its possible that when the Swan and Dolphin were being designed, a monorail station may have been discussed and perhaps even drawn into the plans, but was later tabled for whatever reason. Either before or very early in the construction. As for the black sections on the buildings, I don't believe they are black because of some last minute design change to remove a monorail station. It just too easy to paint those sections to match the color of the rest of the building. There isn't any reason to paint those sections black other than for aesthetics.

I think what really perpetuates this rumor is the appearance of the Dolphin. Its A-frame shape looks very similar to the ends of the Contemporary. The dark section looking a lot like the Contemporary's monorail pass-thru.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: