Quantcast Trying to find a good route to Williamsburg, VA...

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Trying to find a good route to Williamsburg, VA...

This summer, my mother, sister, and I are thinking about going on vacation somewhere, and one of the places that came up was Busch Gardens in Williamsburg. We were there once before, three years ago, and we all loved it. What wasn't so lovable, however, was the drive down. The traffic around much of Maryland and Washington on the way to Williamsburg was absolutely horrendous. I believe we were on I-95, though I don't remember 100% since it was my late father who did most of the driving. Anyway, it's exactly the reason why I have not been back down there for three years now.

So, I decided to ask anyone here who may know this area better than I do...Are there any possible alternate routes for people trying to get to Williamsburg that aren't quite as congested? I'd appreciate any information anyone may have, thank you.
    Greetings Programs!
    1986- Polynesian Resort
    1990- Village Resort
    1995- Swan Resort
    1999- Contemporary Resort
    2005- All Star Music Resort

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Less Congested? Yes, there are less congested routes. But would any of them save time? No, because you'd be traveling many more miles.

Alternative one is to take Route 13 through Delaware, down the Delmarva Peninsula, and take the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel (In 1964, One of the 7 Engineering Wonders of the Modern World) to the Virginia Beach Area. But that adds many miles on highways that have traffic lights. It's a neat ride though.

Alternative two would be to take I-81 all the way to I-64. Once again many miles, but you could stop at Monticello or take Skyline Drive on the way there or back.

And if your question is "are there any secret ways for navigating the DC area" the answer is no. Traffic isn't bad here because we are all too stupid to find alternate routes. It's bad because there are so many people living in the suburbs and not enough public transportation or roads.

Post Thanks / Like

We drove to Willaimsburg from NY last summer. We took I-95 going there and 13 coming back. We enjoyed going back much more and it took the same time. It's a more direct route and there aren't that many lights on 13. It moves pretty well.
    Plus it was nice to be able to stop at a gas station, supermarket or restaurant whenever we wanted to. Going over the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel was amazing !

I would try both and see which one you like better.

Post Thanks / Like

If you do take 13, make sure you cross the bridge tunnel to Virginia Beach before 2:00 or after 6:30 on a work day. After you get to VA Beach, you have to get on 64 west and go through another tunnel to get onto the peninsula. That tunnel can back up forever at rush hour (which can start early here because of the military bases in that area.) And there is always rush hour traffic through Hampton and Newport News on the penisula before you get to Wburg. 13 is not a bad drive. I take it all the time when I go to PA or NJ.
    G

"Stay away from those they ain't nothin' but trouble"

1981 - Poly
    2004 - Beach Club
    2006 - Beach Club
    2007 - DLR - Grand Californian
    2008 - Beach Club
    Nov. 2009 - Poly

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: