Quantcast Revisiting the "tipping the mousekeeper" debate - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grim Grinning Marathon Runner View Post
    A few years ago, I learned that I was supposed to be tipping the mousekeepers at the Disney resorts. This was a new concept to me, as I have traveled for business before, and have never tipped a housekeeper.
    So, I don't think I'll be tipping the mousekeepers anymore...
    Let me just add that it is considered good form to tip housekeepers at all hotels. This isn't a Disney rule. I'm really surprised that you didn't know this and were not doing it previously. To my experience, smart business travelers are usually among the best tippers because they know the power of the dollar to get things done (and being on expense account never hurts either.)
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crazeedizneefinatic View Post
    Being the origianl poster about tipping I can see I not only opened a can of worms but an entire worm farm!
    I don't think Grim Grinning opened a can of worms with his post. You're correct that there is no right or wrong with tipping. As shown by many of the responses, everyone does what they feel comfortable with, regardless of whether or not a company views a position as tipped or not.
    Tammi, Team INTERCOT Moderator
    Disney Cruise Line & Accomodations

Please visit our Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

Disney castmembers (I guess except for waitresses and waiters) technically aren't supposed to accept tips

I have heard that too...in fact I had a cousin in the College Program who has worked at deluxe hotels for two seperate terms and he said they are not allowed to accept tips as bell hops or mousekeeping...not that they won't but they are not allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by NJDad View Post
    On a side note, I used to not throw my garbage on the ground. But then I noticed Disney creates the experience of colorfully garbed workers cheerfully cleaning up. Rather than ruin that experience, I now toss my used Coke cups and napkins wherever I happen to be at the time.
    A bit harsh, out-of-line, and not really talking about the same thing here don't ya think?

Quote Originally Posted by kakn7294 View Post
    For example, I work as a nurse - I clean up plenty myself but the housekeepers in our facility clean the floors and bathrooms in each patient room daily and wash the beds and furniture between patients and clean up some pretty disgusting messes on a frequent basis yet none of us are allowed to accept a tip or gift. It's no different except that because of my college education, I make a better salary than a Disney mousekeeper but the hospital housekeepers don't. Why do we tip housekeepers in a hotel but not in a hospital?
    Good point, Kathy!

Quote Originally Posted by TammiMcMan View Post
    Tipping is never a requirement, it's a personal choice. You shouldn't feel obligated.

I tip housekeeping whenever and wherever we travel. As a mom, I'm just happy it's not me making the beds, emptying the trash, cleaning the bathroom, washing towels, etc .

I know we have a few Disney CM's here, so hopefully they can come on and clarify the official policy. To the best of my knowledge, what you've posted is not correct. There are a few other Disney positions that can accept tips, bell services and valet are two more that come to mind. Disney isn't Vegas, so you can't try to tip the hostess for a better table or quicker seating, just like you can't tip the check-in CM for a better view. I thought that was more the reasoning why they are so clear on who can accept tips and who can't.

If it's your personal opinion not to tip, then that's fine. Many countries find it insulting to leave a tip. There's no right or wrong here folks, everyone has to feel comfortable with their decision.
    I agree with most of this except that I have been told the same info about those positions being a non-tipping position. That does not mean you cannot leave a tip or offer, but the Official Disney (as I have been told) policy is that Mousekeeping, Bell Service, and Valet Service workers are not to accept tips from guests. It does not mean they won't but it does mean that if they were to get caught by someone who wanted to be mean they could get reprimanded for it.

We do not tip Mousekeeping but we do tip Valet and Bell Services if we use them...donno why, just what we do.
    Sherry

10 earlier times...
    1-08 ASMo ( MOM AND KIDS FOR 13 DAYS!!!)
    11-08 POP (Mom and Kids for 14 days!!!)
    4-21-10 thru 4-28-10 Pop Century (WE'RE GOING BACK!!!!!)
    8-13 thru 8-19-11 ASMo & 8-19 thru 8-28-11 CBR

Post Thanks / Like

Here's the bottom line for me.

I spend several thousand dollars on a Disney vacation. It ain't going to kill me to give an additional $5 per day to mousekeeping. It's really nothing to me. I spend that much on one snack. I want the mousekeepers to like their jobs as much as I like being at Disney. I also want them to feel favorably inclined towards me, if I need something extra.

May 2002 WDW
    February 6- 11, 2006 WDW
    September 23-27, 2006 WDW
    September 1-September 9, 2007 WDW
    August 29 - September 6, 2009 WDW
    February 4, 2012 - February 12, 2012 WDW

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tyandskyesmom View Post
    I agree with most of this except that I have been told the same info about those positions being a non-tipping position. That does not mean you cannot leave a tip or offer, but the Official Disney (as I have been told) policy is that Mousekeeping, Bell Service, and Valet Service workers are not to accept tips from guests. It does not mean they won't but it does mean that if they were to get caught by someone who wanted to be mean they could get reprimanded for it.
    This is where our information seems to differ. I know that concierge staff, front desk CM's and others do risk their jobs if they are caught pocketing a tip. We have been told that outright. I've never heard that response from someone in bell services though. Whether it's a union issue or management simply turning a blind eye in regards to the other service positions, I don't know. Hopefully a CM will be able to respond with factual information on how it's viewed. Irregardless though, it wouldn't change my way of tipping.

We do not tip Mousekeeping but we do tip Valet and Bell Services if we use them...donno why, just what we do.
    Hmmm, I'd be curious to know why you differentiate between them. I guess bell services really sticks out. You can get a valet who turns on your AC, runs in the rain to get your car, etc., housekeeping can leave extra towels or clean an especially dirty room, but how many ways can you improve on delivering luggage to your room ?
    Tammi, Team INTERCOT Moderator
    Disney Cruise Line & Accomodations

Please visit our Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TammiMcMan View Post
    Hmmm, I'd be curious to know why you differentiate between them.
    So would I?????
    Sherry

10 earlier times...
    1-08 ASMo ( MOM AND KIDS FOR 13 DAYS!!!)
    11-08 POP (Mom and Kids for 14 days!!!)
    4-21-10 thru 4-28-10 Pop Century (WE'RE GOING BACK!!!!!)
    8-13 thru 8-19-11 ASMo & 8-19 thru 8-28-11 CBR

Post Thanks / Like

If mousekeeping takes the tip and they are caught, what happens to them? I'm slightly confused.

Post Thanks / Like

I will be honest and say that I had never thought about tipping housekeeping when staying in a hotel but when I read about it here on Intercot, it does make sense and we will be tipping on our upcoming trip.
    DH laughs at me all the time because I over tip, I even tip the car hops at Sonic $1 every time we go there, even if just for drinks.....so I see no harm in tipping mousekeeping.
    Hopefully a towel animal will pop up sometime over the week! DD wil be very excited because she was always wondering how other people got them on our last trip!
    Also, I feel that tipping is a simple way to teach DD about being generous.
    Liz
    March 2006-POP!
    September 2007-POP!

Post Thanks / Like

"Hopefully a towel animal will pop up sometime over the week!"
    Don't count on any towel animals because of tipping. We have been there several times, tip every day, and have never gotten a towel animal. As for tipping in general, I have always found tipping to be a somewhat strange concept. Strange in how it is determined who does and does not get tipped, and even the amount of the tip. For example, why do we have to tip the guy at the airport who checks our bags in at the curb? If we don't, will he not put them on the correct plane? And if tipping is based on superior service, how can he treat your baggage better than the next guy? And what about fairness in tipping? Why does a waiter/waitress deserve 15 - 20% gratuity based on the cost of the meal? Why should a waiter at a nice restaurant get a $20 tip on a $100 meal while a waiter at the local mom and pop only gets a couple bucks because the meal is so much cheaper? Did the person at the mom and pop do any less work? Probably, they did more. And if a waiter/waitress gets 15-20% of the cost of the meal, why doesn't a housekeeper get 15 - 20% of the cost of the room? That housekeeper certainly does more thru the course of your stay than the waiter did at your meal.

I guess I have just always found it a little strange to tip people simply for doing their job. Sure, it is OK if you get exceptional service - no matter what it is, but, how often do you end up tipping just because it is customary rather than because the service was exceptional? I know I usually tip because I feel like I'm suppose to, not because I feel I have been given great service. Now, I certainly tip more generously if somebody goes out of their way to do something above and beyond, but that is usually the exception rather than the norm.

I guess what I am trying to say is that for those of you who tip everybody, great! And for those of you who never tip, or are selective in tipping, that's great, too. I don't think there is a wrong or right here. Just my I will get off my soap box now!

Post Thanks / Like

What exactly is considered exceptional service? Certainly not making beds, leaving new towels and scrubbing toilets. Just wondering since we always tip, what should I actually be tipping for?
    Offsite...(12/97 & 10/99)
    DL...(10/02 & 5/05)
    CBR/Disney Wonder 2004, AllStar Music 2004, AKL 2006, POP 2006, POP 2007, Poly 2007, BWI 2007, WL 2008, CSR 2009, Poly 2009, CBR 2010, AKL 2011...

mttafire Guest

Here is my opinion...The mousekeepers are doing a job that MOST folks would not do. That is why alot of immigrants do it."Not all but alot". They are doing a job and paying taxes. There is an awful lot of folks in the country that REFUSE to work and is on the gravy train. Those folks that clean our rooms are WORKING. So, YES i tip. Its the least i can do to try and better thier lives. They could easily be on the "system" but instead they are working trying to make a better life for themselves. We usually tip 3 bucks a day. I respect anyone that works and tries to better themselves.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by disneyfan369 View Post
    If mousekeeping takes the tip and they are caught, what happens to them? I'm slightly confused.
    Me too. And if they don't take them where do all the tips go?
    ~ Christine

Post Thanks / Like

I figure if I can pay the price they charge for bottled water or pop at the parks how many times a day? leaving a couple bucks every morning does not hurt in the least and only helps some hard working peoples day a little better. $14 dollars ($2 a day) for my wife and I for 1 week is nothing compared to the few thousand it can cost us to take a Disney vacation.

It's just weird how different we are with who we tip. I have never tipped someone for cutting my hair but my wife does all the time. Every coffee shop has tip jars out but I have never put money in them. We even have a little candy store and ice cream shop where I live that have a tip jars.
    Off Site-- All Star Movies-- Pop Century-- Coronado Springs-- Port Orleans French Quarter
    Walt Disney-"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."

Post Thanks / Like

Default How much?

I am more interested in hearing how much people tip and how they decide on the figure. I have read an opinion on this site which is $1 pp per day. Why not 15% of the daily rate? Restaurant servers expect a minimum 15%. Why not 7%, 10%, $5.00 a day, etc for the mousekeepers?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by primax View Post
    I am more interested in hearing how much people tip and how they decide on the figure. I have read an opinion on this site which is $1 pp per day. Why not 15% of the daily rate? Restaurant servers expect a minimum 15%. Why not 7%, 10%, $5.00 a day, etc for the mousekeepers?
    I don't know where it came from, but I have always heard the average was $1 per day per person in the room for all hotels.

I imagine it's not 15% of the room rate because a clean room should be included with the rate you are paying. Also, mousekeeping gets paid more then min. wage which is not the case with wait staff where tips are actually built into their taxable income despite their hourly wage.
    ~ Christine

Post Thanks / Like

Disney castmembers...technically aren't supposed to accept tips, because that puts them on the same level as the guest...
    That was the part that got me. Wasn't sure who was supposed to be on the higher level and who's meant for the lower level.

Sorry to all those offended by the sarcasm.
    1972 Offsite
    '74 Polynesian ($27/night)
    '78 Quality Inn aka Sheraton Studio City
    '80 Disneyland
    '97 Hilton
    '98, '99 All Star Music
    2000, '01, '02 All Star Movies
    '05 Animal Kingdom Lodge
    '06, '07, '08, '10, '11 Pop Century
    '07 Disneyland Paris (daytrip)
    '11 Dream cruise

Post Thanks / Like

I would be embarrassed not to tip mousekeeping. We leave $5.00 each AM on the bathroom vanity with a Thank you scribbled on a napkin or something so they know its for them. Then if we come back to clean up before dinner, I'll leave something for turn down staff, like 2 bucks or so, only if we come back before turn down. If not, theres no tips for them. When we stayed at a 2 BR WLvilla in Feb. the service was EXCEPTIONAL. Our mousekeeping cleaned the huge place every day until it sparkled. It was like cleaning a small house, the villa was huge. She left me whatever I asked, laundry det. every day for example! I left her a $5.00 tip every day, but at the end of the week, seeing it was the same person, we left her a $20.00 and a note for doing such a super job for us. It was really appreciated. We used all the space in the villa and she was amazing.
    Lisa
    Multiple visits over Multiple years
    30 plus stays at Disney's Polynesian resort

Post Thanks / Like

I always leave a tip but this post had me thinking. Why is it that "gratuity" is added the the price of the DDP and often when your party is a larger size?

Why don't they just pay waitstaff a decent wage and eliminate the tipping thing?

If a waiter or waiter gives bad service shouldn't they just lose their job?

That being said... WDW is not the only place that I leave a tip for housekeeping.

Plus we always get the towel animals. Maybe it is because we always stay in moderates and values where mousekeeping just has to clean the rooms and not deal with a lot of extra deluxe things like turn down service.

I also tip mousekeeping because it makes me feel like I am spreading the magic. I also bring special cards that I make at home.
    Too many trips to count!
    Disneyland!
    DisneyWorld!
    Disneyland Paris!
    Coming soon Tokyo!
    [SIZE=4][/SIZE

I have stayed at: All Star Movies, All Star Music, Pop Century, Art of Animation, Port Orleans Riverside, Caribbean Beach Resort, Saratoga Springs Resort

Post Thanks / Like

Most people who work or have worked in the service industry know that these jobs are low paying. I.E. waitresses here only make about $2.55 per hour while the minimum wage is $6.75 per hour. These wages are set differently because the government knows that people tip and we can't have waiters and waitresses making too much money I have not noticed a difference in service whether I tip daily or at the end of the week. A Tip isn't required but is expected for good service.
    In this day and age it is getting harder and harder to get good service.

So IF leaving a few dollars a day helps out someone who is busting their behinds while I enjoy myself, I'm gonna leave the money!
    This August I'll be going down with 3 TEENAGE BOYS. I will not have to clean up after them SO I will pay someone else to do it with great pleasure!
    Dolphin & POFQ 2010

POFQ 2008

ALL STAR MUSIC August 2007

POP August 2006

Coronado Springs 2005

DCL trip December 2005

WDW DOLPHIN July 2004

WDW DOLPHIN JUNE 2002

WDW DOLPHIN March 1998

WDW OFF PROPERTY March 1994

DL Honeymoon 1987

Post Thanks / Like

Tipping... First off, I'd like to clarify something in the original post (reiterating what has already been stated). It is common practice to tip housekeeping services when you travel - not just in Disney. I'm surprised that more people don't know about this.

We tip just about everyone!! We bring about $100 in singles for each trip. Let's see...
    Airport parking valet service (Avistar Parking out of NY), baggage check at airport, bartender in airpot (if we stop in), Car Service driver or ME driver, bell services - both at the curb and in the room, all bartenders, waitstaff, golf staff members (when we play), taxi drivers (shuttles to/from golf), and of course, Mousekeeping!!!

One thing that always has gotten me:
    Have you ever noticed that people who serve adult drinks outside cannot be tipped, but those serving inside, can be? Get yourself a beer at the R&C Pub and they'll gladly accept your tip. Get the same beer (for a slightly higher price) outside at the kiosk, and they can't take it. Same holds true around the WS and other "outdoor" locations. I always found this an odd policy.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: