Quantcast VATech Shootings [Merged Threads]

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default VATech Shootings [Merged Threads]

May I ask that you all send pixie dust and prayers for all involved in this tragedy. I have several friends who have children that attend Va Tech and I am worried. Two of my co-workers at this school have a child and a stepchild there right now. I am so upset.
    Poly: 00, 03 x 2, 04, 05, 07 x 2, 09 x 2, 10, 11
    CR: 01, 02 x 2, 04, 06 x 2, 10, 11, 12
    GF: 01, 04
    F.W. Cabin: 07
    S/D: 01, 02 x 2, 03, 06, 07, 08, 09
    WL: 16
    POR: 14, 15
    DLR: 08, 13

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

My thoughts and prayers are with all affected by this tragedy.

While those I know have been accounted for, I still ache for those who are lost.

This Hokie is shedding a tear for all.
    1970-1990 Disneyland - 4 Day Trips
    1980-2001 WDW - 6 Day Trips
    2007 Polynesian (First Resort Stay!)
    2008 Polynesian - planning

GO HOKIES!

All my thoughts and prayers...
    Rest in Peace fellow Hokies
    04-16-2007

Post Thanks / Like

Default crazy

Insane... my heart aches for those victims and their families. For those who don't know the story, here it is...

Gunman Kills 21 at Virginia Tech
    Email this Story

Apr 16, 12:31 PM (ET)

By SUE LINDSEY

(AP) Shootings at a dorm and classroom on the Virginia Tech campus Monday, April 16, 2007, left at least...
    Full Image

BLACKSBURG, Va. (AP) - A gunman opened fire in a dorm and classroom at Virginia Tech on Monday, killing 21 people and wounding another 21 before he was killed, police said.

On the Web site, Tech reported the shootings at opposite sides of the 2,600-acre campus at West Ambler Johnston, a co-ed residence hall that houses 895 people, and said there were "multiple victims" at Norris Hall, an engineering building.

All entrances to the campus were closed and classes canceled through Tuesday.

"There's just a lot of commotion. It's hard to tell exactly what's going on," said student Jason Anthony Smith, 19, who lives in the dorm where shooting took place.

Aimee Kanode, a freshman from Martinsville, said the shooting happened on the 4th floor of West Ambler Johnston dormitory, one floor above her room. Kanode's resident assistant knocked on her door about 8 a.m. to notify students to stay put.

"They had us under lockdown," Kanode said. "They temporarily lifted the lockdown, the gunman shot again."

"We're all locked in our dorms surfing the Internet trying to figure out what's going on," Kanode said.

Madison Van Duyne, a student who was interviewed by telephone on CNN, said, "We are all in lockdown. Most of the students are sitting on the floors away from the windows just trying to be as safe as possible."

It was second time in less than a year that the campus was closed because of a shooting.

In August 2006, the opening day of classes was canceled and the campus closed when an escaped jail inmate allegedly killed a hospital guard off campus and fled to the Tech area. A sheriff's deputy involved in the manhunt was killed on a trail just off campus.

The accused gunman, William Morva, faces capital murder charges.
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

This is truly horrible. Pixie dust and prayers for those invloved.
    Trips: Too Many to Count! Last Trips: April 2013 CSR; July 2013 Aloha Aulani, The Sequel, Hawaii. Multiple trips to WDW, DL, DCL!

Coming up: September 2013 "Scary September" at Disneyland/DCA/Universal Hollywood.

Proud DVC Members since 2004!

Post Thanks / Like

As soon as I saw this I stopped and immediately said a prayer. Prayers going out to everyone involved in this horrible event.
    Up Next
    15 Disney Hilton Head Jul 5 - Jul 7
    15 Disney Dream Jul 1 - Jul 5
    15 Beach Club Jun 27- Jul 1
    14 Dolphin Resort Jun 12-16
    13 Fort Wilderness Christmas Dec 20- Dec 26

Post Thanks / Like

Current reports list it as 22 dead, 28 wounded.

Hopefully, this tragedy does not get any worse.

BTW, Thank you Intercotees, I am here as a refuge today. (Fighting tears). I greatly need the distraction today. I keep finding my way back to all of the news about my beloved Alma Mater, but it is nice to have a safe haven, planning and talking Disney, atleast for a little while.

GO HOKIES!

04-16-2007

pogo Guest

I feel so bad for all involved. Prayers and to all. This is indeed a very sad day.

Post Thanks / Like

What a very sad incident. My prayers go out to everyone there at VA Tech, and the families of all involved.
    Jeri Lynn

Fantasy 9/18 Dream 5/16 Fantasy 9/15 Wonder 10/14 Dream BCV ~ 12/09, BC ~9/18, 12/17 10/15 10/12 11/11 10/10 10/08, 11/07, 9/07, 11/06, 9/06, 12/05, 12/04, 9/04, 9/03, 9/02, 9/01, 12/2000, 9/99
    YC 9/16
    AKL 12/05, 9/05, 11/13
    DXL 9/98
    CBR 9/96
    DXL 5/93
    Off-site 1984, 1908

Post Thanks / Like

This is terrible. DS is a freshman at U of Kentucky but has lots of friends who attend VA Tech as we lived in VA for the past 6 years. He is devastated by this news and is trying to find out if his friends are OK. He already lost a classmate last year right before graduation due to a senseless car accident (speeding and not wearing a seatbelt). I'm not too sure he could deal with another loss at such a young age.
    TRACEY
    ºOº

Disneyland as a kid
    11/02-POFQ * 07/04-Disneyland PPH * 11/05-AKL * 10/08-CBR * 12/10-WL * 11/11-AKL * 11/12-AKL * 11/13-GF * 11/14-AKL * 06/15-Poly * 12/15-YC * 5/16-BWI * 12/16-BC * 5/17-Poly * 10/17-GF * 12/18-POFQ * 12/19-YC * 12/20-CSR * 12/21-BC * 3/22-CSR

Next: 9/22*BWI

Post Thanks / Like

Latest report on the radio now has the toll at 29 dead and at least as many injured!!

As a parent I can't begin to imagine how horrible it would be to have a student at that school and then hearing this kind of news on the media. The radio also said they were asking for people not to call the campus because phone lines are overwhelmed with calls. Not being able to get through to your child would just make the situation even more horrible for the parents.

My prayers are with everyone involved in this tragedy.

Post Thanks / Like

They are at 32 dead now apparently and expecting the number to rise. Shooter is among the dead. Sad sad sad sad. I cannot imagine how anything could go back to normal at the school anytime soon. So many innocent lives, gone in a senseless act. Tons of prayers and pixie dust *~*~*
    ... i don't even want to put the pixie icon because somehow a smiling face with a party hat doesn't seen appropriate right now...
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

Reports I've read now say 32 dead and 21 wounded... tragic. My thoughts and prayers go out to the Virginia Tech community.
    Diane

Dec '06 - All Star Movie
    Nov. 2007 - Disneyland @ Disneyland Hotel
    Nov. 9 -15, 2008, Pop Century
    Oct. 19-23, 2011, Disneyland @ Paradise Pier

Post Thanks / Like

What a senseless, terrible tragedy. My heart goes out to all the victims, their families, and friends. Prayers and pixie dust for all.
    Scott
    2 visits as a child
    6/97, 6/01, 6/04: All-Star Sports
    12/05, 6/08: Pop Century
    May-June/10: Animal Kingdom Lodge
    5/11: All-Star Sports 1 night Epcot Flower & Garden
    May 2013 POFQ (25th anniversary!)

Post Thanks / Like

My brain can't (or won't) understand something like this, and my heart just bleeds for all the families that lost someone they loved today.
    Donna
    Intercot Staff

My father's name was Ferdinand, my mama's name was Liza, they didn't know what to call me so they called me Ferdiliza!
    Billy Hill and the Hillbillies - "I'm OK!"

Please support INTERCOT'S wonderful sponsers!

Post Thanks / Like

I just heard the latest number as being 32 also and one reporter said that she was told by a school official that the toll could be nearly double that before it is over because many of the injured are in very critical condition. The news reporter also said that they have pulled emergency workers in from nearly a 100 mile radius and they could still use more!!

Probably the freakiest thing they had on the radio was a recording that someone made of the shooting with their cell phone camera. Since I heard this on the radio I obviously didn't see the audio, but it was just so weird to hear the guns firing and knowing that I was hearing the sound of innocent young people dieing!!

The same person who took the cell phone video also said that the gunman opened fire in an engineering classroom and before it was over everyone in that room was dead!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jasper View Post
    Probably the freakiest thing they had on the radio was a recording that someone made of the shooting with their cell phone camera. Since I heard this on the radio I obviously didn't see the audio, but it was just so weird to hear the guns firing and knowing that I was hearing the sound of innocent young people dieing!!
    Having seen the cell video several times, it is extremely surreal. I am on a constant live feed of WSLS TV (Local VT feed from Raonoke VA), and the photage is in thier video loop now. It basically shows what amounts to the "end" of the shooting with police converging on a single spot after rapid gunfire.

You can audibly count at least 13 gun shots.

Absolutely terrible.

For those of you who wish, and Mods, please on this instance allow the link, the one of the major community message boards for Virginia Tech is located at Techsideline.com (via what was formerly the "Lounge" message board). It is a sports related sight, but it also the most popular site amongst Virginia Tech Hokies.

[Sorry, link removed since we cannot control the content and cannot guarantee to our members that it is family-friendly.]
    Last edited by ChipDale; 04-16-2007 at 03:57 PM. Reason: Link removed.

GO HOKIES!

04-16-2007

Post Thanks / Like

My stepsister is a grad student at VA Tech, and luckily I've been able to find out that she's safe in her apartment. Here in Colorado, we're all too aware of how horrible school shootings are for the entire community, not just the students and their families. My thoughts are with all those affected.
    12/99-All-Star Sports * 5/01-POR * 4/02-AKL * 5/03-DL * 5/04-POFQ * 2/05-POR * 5/05-offsite * 10/05-WL * 12/05-DL * 2/06-offsite * 12/06-POP * 4/07-Coronado Springs * 10/07-WL * 4/08-POFQ * 5/10-POFQ * 7/12-DL * 2/14-DL * 6/15-YC

Next Trip ???

Post Thanks / Like

I am so very sorry to hear about everything going on at the VaTech campus today. It is heartwrenching to see and hear a college campus made into the scene of a such a tragedy. My prayers are with the victims and those left behind to carry on.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

What a tragic story..my prayers are with them today and in the days to follow.
    Natalie
    Feb 2001 off site Jan 2002 All star movies Dec 2002 All star sports jan-04 Poly Nov 2004 pofq Nov 2005 Pors Mar 06 at PORS CBR Dec 2006 POR sept 21-30 2007 oct 2008 poly and akl, dec 2008 pop and VWL

Post Thanks / Like

My husband is a VA Tech alumni. This is so completely senseless. My heart and my prayers go out for all of the victims and their families as well as the students and faculty of VA Tech. It will be a long road to recovery.
    ~Lisa aka Tinkermom

DVC Member since 05/01

Most Recent Trips:
    12/28/12-1/4/13 OKW to watch our son and his HS marching band on Main Street on NYE!
    7/13/12-7/17/12 Vero Beach & 7/17/12-7/23/12 WLVs

Next up: 5/28-6/12 Vero Beach (Beach Cottage!)/Fort Myers/Treehouse Villas

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: