Quantcast Does anyone else find it crazy that Disney considers a 10 year old an adult?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Does anyone else find it crazy that Disney considers a 10 year old an adult?

I could not believe it! Now I could even accept the adult rate for the parks but for food? Most 10 year olds don't eat anywhere near what an adult eats. I can not believe that they consider my 10 year old daughter an adult. Am I off base here? What does everyone else think?

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I totally agree with you. I also think a child of 3should get in free. Most 3yos are still in a stroller part of the time. And while we're griping, wouldn't it be nice if you got some kind of credit for being a "regular" resort guest? Maybe a free night here and there? I don't want to have to pay a fee to join a club that offers these perks. I'd like some regognition for going so often and spending my $ there. They know everything about me and everyone I have ever gone with. Even if they sent me a email or card offering anything! I don't get that stuff. I know it's frustrating, but we still go back...again...and again...

Post Thanks / Like

I totally agree.

I don't believe it is only about money. I mean it is, but the larger problem which lead to this thinking in the first place is the encouragement by society of our children to grow up fast and furious.

Hence the whole marketing of "tween". A 9, 10, 11, or 12 year old isn't a "tween" They are still a child. ThirTEEN is a right of passage, and rightfully called a TEENager. The tween thing irks me to no end. And I think Disney's policy of adult pricing for this demographic reflects that.

Rant finished.
    "People can be only divided into good or bad; their race, religion, nationality don't matter." Irena Krzyzanowska

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, it bugs me too. Our son will be 10 in August, we go in September and our daughter has turned 3 since our last trip so we will have a lot of added money this trip.

I don't have an issue with Taylor since she does all of the rides we do that do not have a height restriction.

Sean is still a child (don't let him hear that!! ) to me. I know he goes on all the rides we do etc, but so does his 7 year old brother. I just think 10 is young to be considered an adult. Especially for the DP, my oldest eats the least of all the kids.

So, I feel your pain.
    DVC Members @ SSR
    19 Trips since 1996:
    Caribbean Beach Resort-2x's, Dixie Landings-2x, POFQ-2x's, POR-3x's All Star Movies-4x's, Pop-1x, Saratoga Springs-2x, BWV-1x, OKW-2x

Just got back: August 17th-22nd POR

Post Thanks / Like

I would suggest directing your complaints/suggestions to Disney directly. If there are enough complaints, they might consider changing the chart.
    **WDW: December 8th-19th 2007~Celebrating our 4yr Anniversey~Pop Century Resort**

WDW: November 9-15th 2003 **HoneyMoon***
    ~All-Star Music Resort ~Broadway~

Disneyland Resort September 5th-9th
    (Please note I've been to DLR countless times. Just posting recent trips.)

Post Thanks / Like

It's been that way as long as I can remember! Have they lowered the drinking age in Florida too?
    first visIt: November 1973
    next planned visit: October, 2013 with friends
    resident Fairy Godmother

hearts are warmed when friends meet

see ya real soon

~*~*~*disneydeb*~*~*~

Post Thanks / Like

I think the first time I went to WDW I was a "junior" for the 11-17 category or something like that. Does anyone else remember this?
    Disney World: 10/92 Yacht Club, 11/96 Disney Institute, 12/00 Yacht Club, 6/05 Beach Club, 8/06 Shades of Green, 8/07 Caribbean Beach Resort, 10/07 Coronado Springs, 12/08 French Quarter, 3/10 All Star Sports, 4/12 Port Orleans Riverside

Disneyland: 1987, 1997, 2002, 2008, 2010, 2013

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, as usual I have to be the odd man out here. While it is true that not all 10 year olds eat as much as adults there are also a lot who do. It is this disparity between different 10 year olds that creates the problem. At some point Disney has to draw the line and start charging adult rates. So if they don't do it at 10, then where do they do it?

Don't get me wrong, Disney is very good at doing everything possible to seperate you from your money. In their effort to take your money from you they certainly will push the age down as low as they feel they can get away with. However, because of the vast differences from one child to another, there are certainly more than a few 10 year olds who are eating adult amounts.

Please, I know my comments will open a can of worms about childhood obesity and all that, but while that is certainly a serious problem in our country, that is not what we are talking about here.

Post Thanks / Like

I think the park ticket as an adult at age 10 is fair - most 10 yo are tall enough to ride everything - whether they want to is a separate issue and not necesarily related to age. However, I agree wholeheartedly agree with the food issue. I would love to see a junior distinction with a junior menu for the TS restaurants - larger servings (but not adult sized servings) on basic selections from both the kids and adult menus. It would cost more than the kids menu but not be the adult prices. My DD likes that she can order from the adult menu but some places don't have anything she will eat. BTW, there still is a junior distinction for ages 11 - 17 but it doesn't mean anything except that they don't get charged as an adult in the room. I guess we should be thankful for that!
    Kathy ºoº

LET'S GO BUCS!

Next trip - June '14

Past trips:
    6/13, 4/13, 7/12, 7/11, 1/11, 8/10, 7/09, 3/09, 8/08, 8/07, 12/06, 9/05, 7/03, 7/98, 5/96, 8/93, '70's X 2

Post Thanks / Like

Let me be the first to welcome Gatormouse 50

WELCOME TO INTERCOT
    REMEMBER WHO YOU ARE!!
    1998 Shades of Green
    1999, 2000,2001, Shades of Green
    2002 Contemporary - 2003 Contemporary - 2004, 2005,2006, Shades of Green
    Dec. 2007 First trip to Disneyland
    Dec. 2008 Shades of Green & JQ "meet"

Post Thanks / Like

Question

I don't know how they decide where to cut off the age between child / adult, but they decide.

I've seen children that can out-eat any adult at that age, and some that still consider a french fry and one chicken strip dinner.

Now, what about us little old Sr. citizens that go for the early bird special and share?
    REMEMBER WHO YOU ARE!!
    1998 Shades of Green
    1999, 2000,2001, Shades of Green
    2002 Contemporary - 2003 Contemporary - 2004, 2005,2006, Shades of Green
    Dec. 2007 First trip to Disneyland
    Dec. 2008 Shades of Green & JQ "meet"

Post Thanks / Like

Remember it's the plate they are charging for. How many times have you seen ppl say their child wants the items on the adult menu. They don't serve you less it's the same amount- a plate is a plate. Now if a 12yr old wanted to order a child's plate and pay that price, I don't see anything wrong with that (I'm not suggesting cheat the system I'm saying I see room for flexibility-- yes some eat very little but by the time if a 10 year old orders a filet mignon then it's time for the adult price regardless of whether or not they eat it.
    The age for tickets has been that way for a long time. I remember the junior ticket but 3 year olds pay. How many 3 yr old's stand in line for Mickey? I know it's young and I felt the same way when mine were young but again 4 is getting older and it's probably more difficult to judge a 4 from a 5 yr old.
    Enjoy it now.
    I agree that a senior citizen discount would be nice. My parents don't ride a fraction of the rides that we do. I think they did HM and HoP @ MK the rest of the time they just enjoyed the scenery and had lunch.
    Next
    DD, DS @ AKV Dec 12 SSR 12-16

AKV Savannah 8/08
    ASMu my BD 4/08 w/ Angel & MrsSgtT
    SSR 10/07 BWV-12/06
    Pop-05 04 03 1st Nighters
    OKW-97 96 Poly- 89 87 86 CR:72
    Offsite:8xs FW:83 82 82 DL 67,68,71

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with the fact that if my 10 year old was charged less that she would have to pick from the children's menu. She does that all the time when we go to a resturant. My problem is that we don't get that choice. I would be that we will end up paying for a adult meal and she will pick from the child's menu.

I also have a 3 year old and if she even eats at all it is a plus! So I can definitely understand the concerns of other mom's with toddlers and preschoolers.

Oh well I know that this won't change and they have us as a captive audience so there isn't much of a choice.

I'm all for senior's getting a break too! Especially on park tickets.

Oh well I guess we can all dream. I love WDW and I am so looking forward to going but it would be nice if there was more flexibility.

Thank you everyone for your input! No matter what side you were on it was interesting hearing all your view points!

TiggerRPh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by BronxTigger View Post
    I think the first time I went to WDW I was a "junior" for the 11-17 category or something like that. Does anyone else remember this?

Yes...they used to have that ticket/dining category, but I believe that they stopped that about 10 years ago or maybe more.

It's the main reason we don't do the dining plan when we go. I have an 11 year old that doesn't eat a lot. He just doesn't justify the cost.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TiggerRPh View Post
    It's the main reason we don't do the dining plan when we go. I have an 11 year old that doesn't eat a lot. He just doesn't justify the cost.
    I think you hit the nail on the head . Everyone must decide if the dining plan is a good value for their family. We've never once purchased it, because it just doesn't make sense for the way we eat. Sometimes packages can be a great convenience, but if you do your homework, your best financial option may be to go a la carte instead.
    Tammi, Team INTERCOT Moderator
    Disney Cruise Line & Accomodations

Please visit our Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

1) First, let's look at the 10-yr admission.
    . . . it is an age kids can ride everything
    . . . it is an age that naps are usually not taken
    . . . it is an age they can ride all day-night
    . . . they ride just like an adult
    . . . they use up the same ride seat capacity
    . . . therefore, they ARE and adult to a park

2) Next, let's check out the 10-yr for food
    . . . it is an age when they start to grow a lot
    . . . it is an age they start to eat a lot
    . . . it an age that is the same as admission rule

3) But, with any analysis, the fact is - it is a rule.
    4) As a supplier, WDW can name their terms.
    5) You have a choice to adhere or not.
    Average Banjo Picker. Pretty-Good Sailing Master. Newly Ordained.

Post Thanks / Like

I also have no problem with buying a 10 year old adult admission media.

As far as food goes, I am disappointed that they moved the adult age to 10 (if I remember correctly, the change to 10 for tickets was many years ago, but for food it was in the last 2-3 years). The one plus is that I believe Disney does allow you (and I think anyone) to order off the child's menu no matter what the age (please correct me if I'm wrong).

The buffet is where it gets difficult. I learned my lesson by taking an 11 year old to Boma and she had a $24 plate of mac and cheese.

Post Thanks / Like

What would be nice is have 2 menus with the same food on it one is the regular size with regular prices, then for those who don't eat much (ie my wife) have a menu that has smaller portions with a lower cost.

Maybe not 2 meus but have 2 different portion sizes with different prices.
    Off Site-- All Star Movies-- Pop Century-- Coronado Springs-- Port Orleans French Quarter
    Walt Disney-"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."

Post Thanks / Like

I think you are caught between a rock and hard place. When it comes to WDW, any 10 yo is going to do just as much as an adult. See the same shows, ride the same rides, enjoy the same entertainment and not have to go back to take naps. So, although I wish it was less expensive, I can see where Disney is coming from and understand why they would charge equal.

As far as food, again, a lot of kids that age are going to eat about as much as an adult and not want to eat from a kids meal. I know when I was a teen (or right before), I could pack it away. I think it's unreasonable to expect a 10 yo to only eat kids meals. (At least in my family, where we can EAT!) So your choice, basically, is to not do the DDP if you feel your older child will eat less and eat from the kids menu or accept that it's more expensive. That makes sense to me.

However, let me state that I think it would be great if Disney would do something for the not-quite-kids, not-yet adult demographic to make it less expensive for parents. It will potentially prevent us from making very frequent return trips in the future when our kids are older. However, I won't hold my breath waiting for them to change it.
    Gawrsh

1979 - Polynesian Village
    1988 - Treehouses
    1990 - Treehouses
    1997 - Disney Institute Villas/Yacht and Beach Club
    1999 - Disney Institute Villas
    2001 - Carribean Beach
    2004 - Port Orleans Riverside
    2007 - Pop Century
    2010 - Offsite/Port Orleans Riverside
    2014 - Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

I totally agree with 10 yr olds paying adult price to get in, there is nothing they can't ride there.

The DDP though, i wish there was a different category or at least a choice of jr sizing or adult at that age. My kids just don't eat enough to justify paying adult prices.
    Last visit to Disneyland : Oct/07
    WDW: Sept/06!!

Dreaming of the next trip...

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: