Quantcast A little Disappointed

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy A little Disappointed

I love WDW and am by no means seriously disgruntled but...I wish DVCers would also be allowed to have the free dining. We did pay up front for future stays and we do pay annual dues. Would it really be so bad if we were able to take part in the free dining? I realize that they are trying to fill rooms. I would even be willing to points at a hotel if that was the requirement. Ok my rant is over just my thoughts
    Amanda, Mom of 4

ASMo Mar 2005
    Pop Sep 2006, Jan 2014, Jan 2016
    SSR Dec 2006
    Disney Magic Jan 2008, Mar 2009, Apr 2011
    OKW Jan 2009, June 2012, December 2017
    POFQ Jan 2012
    VWL Oct 2012
    AKV Jan 2013, June 2013, Aug 2015
    AOA July 2014
    All Star Sports Jan 2015

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Personally, I do understand why we should not be among the participants of "free" dining. We are not in the demographic that WDW is trying to attract. They already have us- we are committed!

I was very disappointed when the Dining Plan was introduced that DVC members were not even allowed to purchase it. I did not see the reasoning there. In time, they have allowed us to participate- without a ticket requirement- and for that, I am very glad.
    What I am waiting for now is to be able to purchase the DDP when I am using points at any WDW resort- not just a DVC resort.
    That isn't happening yet.

But I certainly don't expect us to be able to get it for free.
    Linda
    aka: wendy*darling

INTERCOT Staff:
    Disney & Orlando Dining/Nightlife, Shopping & Water Parks/Disney Vacation Club

DVC owners at WLV, BCV and SSR
    Next up: VWL & POFQ Dec 2009 - just adults!
    On Deck: DCL Wonder Dec 2010... but I'm sure we can come up with something before then!

Post Thanks / Like

It's really not free. They are paying rack rate for a room.

You get a villa. If you had to pay rack rate for that you could pay for a lot of dining.

I'll take a villa at a deluxe resort with points any day.
    ¨¨*:•

"Here You Leave Today and Enter the World of Yesterday, Tomorrow and Fantasy!"

Post Thanks / Like

I posted this on another board, and will post it here too:

I look at it like this... 5 nights in a studio at OKW would be 40 pts. My approx. cost per pt is $7/pt (taking my buy-in cost divided by 35 yrs divided by the # of points I get per year).

$7x40 = $280. DVC AP for 2 adults is $710. 5x$78 ($39/adult) for dining plan is $390. Total cost: $1380.

OKW studio, 5 night package, w/ 6-day PH pass and free dining: $2097.
    Moderate room/std view, 5 night package, 6-day PH, free dining: $1344.

So I basically pay the same amount that I would for a moderate room w/ free dining and a 6 day pass but I get an annual pass, dining, and a deluxe room with queen beds and a balcony. I think I will take the latter.
    Kat
    DVC Member, home resort BWV
    1985, 1991, 1993 Off-site
    September 2006 Coronado Springs
    October 2006 POFQ/CSR
    January 2007 CBR/OKW
    May 2007 CSR/VWL
    Sept 2007 CSR/BCV/BWV

Post Thanks / Like

I agree I would take what I have now over having the DDP for free. It would be nice if the did offer a discount on the DDP to DVC'ers just like we have on the AP. May entice more of us into using it!
    Bazz
    81 - Offsite, 97,98 - Dixie Landings
    99 - BWV - DVC Member
    00 - BWV/DCL-Wonder
    01 - BWV,OKW, 02, 03 - OKW
    04 - OKW, SSR
    05 - SSR - May, OKW-Aug, BCV-OCT
    06 - SSR - May, SSR - Aug, VWL-OCT
    07 - SSR - Jan, OKW - Jul, SSR,BCV -Oct
    08 - SSR - May, SSR - Jul, SSR - Sep

Post Thanks / Like

I guess I just look at things differently... I think that allowing DVCers to purchase the DDP is a discount in itself.

The DDP is really an incentive to have you buy a "package" (room at rack rate + tickets) from Disney. Of course, it has the added benefit of filling their restaurants and keeping you onsite and buying their merchandise, rather than going to offsite restaurants, the U-word, etc.

They offer it for free during Sept to try and boost occupancy for the WDW hotels and restaurants, and also to "hook" more people into wanting to come again, and pay for it next time.

Those of us who bought DVC are likely much more inclined to already do the above, as you are probably already into Disney to have bought DVC in the first place, and you will certainly either show up next year or someone will in your place.
    Kat
    DVC Member, home resort BWV
    1985, 1991, 1993 Off-site
    September 2006 Coronado Springs
    October 2006 POFQ/CSR
    January 2007 CBR/OKW
    May 2007 CSR/VWL
    Sept 2007 CSR/BCV/BWV

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wendy*darling View Post
    Personally, I do understand why we should not be among the participants of "free" dining. We are not in the demographic that WDW is trying to attract. They already have us- we are committed!
    I understand as well...
    I'm not happy about the "free plan" as we'll be in WDW for that last week of August this year. Although I have to admit, I was secretly hoping they'd give me a free dining plan for my 10 day stay!
    But I do agree, we've committed to Disney until 2042 or 2054... Why would Disney give us free food to boot?

lockedoutlogic Guest

I think the important points were covered here:

1. Disney's entire operation at WDW is based on repeat business.....so there is no need to entice timeshare owners to come....only to invest in more points.

2. The entire concept of "free" dining is disney using their snakeoil on the public to lure them there during the slowest month of the season. September is the absolute best time to avoid crowds...as there are none to speak of at any point.
    And while you may pay more for your package in July without free dining than you would with the promotion.....
    You're not really getting that great of a deal. They charge full price for the tickets (as always)...but also full rack rates for the rooms (which is where the value was in the past and why that the dining inclusive packages are actually probably not different from a value standpoint than packages before DDP).

The lowest rack rate for a moderate is 149+ 12% a night....that's 179 dollars a night. That is highway robbery for Caribbean Beach...in any scenario....

IF the free dining plan is utilized with POP or AS...then it can be a good value....any other resort makes the savings negligable at best

Post Thanks / Like

If I had bought into DVC, I would have an AP and purchased the DDE card for the 20% off dining. That is a better deal than a free dining package with a rack rate room!
    Poly: 00, 03 x 2, 04, 05, 07 x 2, 09 x 2, 10, 11
    CR: 01, 02 x 2, 04, 06 x 2, 10, 11, 12
    GF: 01, 04
    F.W. Cabin: 07
    S/D: 01, 02 x 2, 03, 06, 07, 08, 09
    WL: 16
    POR: 14, 15
    DLR: 08, 13

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by J.C.&ALI'SMOM View Post
    If I had bought into DVC, I would have an AP and purchased the DDE card for the 20% off dining. That is a better deal than a free dining package with a rack rate room!
    That is exactly what we are doing.
    DVC Members @ SSR
    19 Trips since 1996:
    Caribbean Beach Resort-2x's, Dixie Landings-2x, POFQ-2x's, POR-3x's All Star Movies-4x's, Pop-1x, Saratoga Springs-2x, BWV-1x, OKW-2x

Just got back: August 17th-22nd POR

Post Thanks / Like

I would personally LOVE free dining to boot. We aren't DVCers but we trade in through Interval. I would love my cake and eat it too (for free)!! I do have to admit though I would rather not be there during free dining due to resturant capacity. I have seen the servers treated with more disrespect but it could be due to more folks. But thats a whole other discussion.
    April 29-May 3- Coronado springs! Engage celeb
    Feb 21-March 1- DCL Bahamas/PORS Royal guest
    November 15th-22nd Marriott's Grande Villas
    May 2-5th Wilderness Lodge surprise engagement!
    Nov 27th-Dec 4rd 2012- Art Of Animation
    March 7-13th 2012 Fort Wilderness cabin
    100+ since 1977

Post Thanks / Like

I heard on a pod-cast the other day that last year DVC owners were buying one day park passes, even if they owned APs. You still get free dining for the length of your stay.

If this is true, think about how it might be worth it. A family of 4 (2 ad, 2 kids) would drop, what, $220 for one day passes, but eat free for a week or more. Check it out, because if this is truly a loophole, it is worth considering.
    Wilderness Campgrounds ('77)
    Villas ('88)
    Off Site ('91)
    AK Lodge ('04)
    AS Sports ('05)
    AS Music (April '06)
    Pop (Sept. '06)
    OKW (Feb. '08)
    BCV/SSR (June '08)
    SSR (Nov. '08)
    AKV (Kidani Village)/BWV (June '09)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rsumrall View Post
    I heard on a pod-cast the other day that last year DVC owners were buying one day park passes, even if they owned APs. You still get free dining for the length of your stay.
    Anyone with an annual pass can do that. However, they also have to book the Magic Your Way Base package which also includes a resort room. You then get the dining option added in 'free'.

It doesn't work that way for folks using their points - since they don't book a package.
    ¨¨*:•

"Here You Leave Today and Enter the World of Yesterday, Tomorrow and Fantasy!"

lockedoutlogic Guest

Quote Originally Posted by rsumrall View Post

If this is true, think about how it might be worth it. A family of 4 (2 ad, 2 kids) would drop, what, $220 for one day passes, but eat free for a week or more. Check it out, because if this is truly a loophole, it is worth considering.

That was done before the DDP was offered to vacation club....it doesn't make sense to do this anymore.

If you own DVC, then you can purchase the DDP outright for your stay...there is no ticket requirement...and therefore...no need for additional expense.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: