Quantcast Shhh...it's a SECRET! :) Need input!

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Shhh...it's a SECRET! :) Need input!

I booked our first Disney cruise for February of '08! We are keeping it a secret from our kids, DS 12, DS 10, and DD 5. Man, this is going to be difficult to keep quiet about for 10 months. The kids have been wanting to do a cruise so bad. I have been telling them that "someday" we would do that, not any time soon as the cruise is expensive and such.

So, I have some ideas of ways to tell them the big surprise:

-Give it to them at Christmas - I was thinking of having them open "one last gift" that would be for the 3 of them. Maybe wrap up a toy boat with a card inside telling them about the cruise. If we did this they could have the last 6 weeks or so before the cruise to help plan and get excited about it.

-Don't say anything until it is time to board the Disney Cruise Line Bus - We are staying at WDW for 3 or 4 nights prior to the cruise. As it is time to leave the resort we would be waiting for the Magical Express bus to go back to the airport. This is always a sad time for all of us. But, of course we would actually be waiting for the Disney Cruise bus! Wouldn't they be surprised as that bus pulls up and we stand up to board and say "Oh, did I forget to mention... we are going on a DISNEY CRUISE!

-Tell them during dinner our last night at WDW - I was thinking of doing a character meal (Chef Mickey's perhaps?) on our last night at WDW. I was wondering if we could get Mickey to bring a card over to the table for the kids. I would have this poem inside:
    "Here at Disneyworld we hope you've had fun,
    but really the fun has just begun.
    Look at Mom and Dad for the big news..."
    Then as they look up I would hold up a big sign that says - "WE'RE GOING ON A DISNEY CRUISE!" and DH can have his camera ready to catch their little faces!

So, what do you think? Which way is the best way to surprise them? Please let me know if you have any other ideas! But remember...
    It's a SECRET!
    ~Lisa aka Tinkermom

DVC Member since 05/01

Most Recent Trips:
    12/28/12-1/4/13 OKW to watch our son and his HS marching band on Main Street on NYE!
    7/13/12-7/17/12 Vero Beach & 7/17/12-7/23/12 WLVs

Next up: 5/28-6/12 Vero Beach (Beach Cottage!)/Fort Myers/Treehouse Villas

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Although probably the hardest choice - I go with;

Don't say anything until it is time to board the Disney Cruise Line Bus.
    ¨¨*:•

"Here You Leave Today and Enter the World of Yesterday, Tomorrow and Fantasy!"

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats, you guys are going to love it! We've done the cruise (3 day) twice.

I would also go with not telling them until they are about to board the cruise line bus! It will be hard but it will be so worth it! Disney surprises are the best!
    Trips: Too Many to Count! Last Trips: April 2013 CSR; July 2013 Aloha Aulani, The Sequel, Hawaii. Multiple trips to WDW, DL, DCL!

Coming up: September 2013 "Scary September" at Disneyland/DCA/Universal Hollywood.

Proud DVC Members since 2004!

Post Thanks / Like

I would go with waiting till the last minute and before you board the bus. That would be cool
    10/08 SSR
    05/06 POFQ
    10/02 CBR
    3/00 DxL
    98 DxL
    96 Offsite
    95 ??
    Not sure of the rest

Post Thanks / Like

I'd tell them at Christmas. Planning/looking forward to the trip is half the fun. Plus, it will give them something to look forward to in the middle of winter!
    Jane

M A S E C A !

Team Billy - "I'm OK!"

Post Thanks / Like

I like the last dinner idea - what about getting one of the divers at Coral Reef to come into the tank and hold up the sign that announces where they are going next.

We are surprising our kids with a trip to Schlitterbahn waterpark in Texas this summer. The kids think we are going to San Diego and we don't plan to tell them anything until we land in San Antonio and even then I am hoping they won't have a clue until we pull into Schlitterbahn. Our oldest may figure it out but I don't think our youngest will.

It is soooo hard keeping it a secret and not spilling the beans.

Have fun, what a great secret!
    MamaCatNV
    Married 19 yrs Mom to:
    DS 17 & DD 8

POFQ-1/1-1/9/07- No More NYE for Awhile
    ASMu-Dec 05/Jan 06 - NYE
    ASSp-Dec 99/Jan 00 - NYE/Turn of the Century
    DL lived near too many visits to count

Jacksboro, Texas (Northwest of Dallas Fort Worth)
    Post Thanks / Like

WOW !! How exciting
    i would have to go with the cruise bus also..
    it will be a hard to keep it that long
    but it will be worth it ....congrats !!
    First trip 1981

Married at Disney's wedding pavillion 12-22-04
    DVC owners @ SSR Dec 2005
    OKW-DEC-2004-Wedding
    VERO BEACH-DEC-2004-(honeymoon)
    ASM-DEC-2005
    SSR-OCT-2006
    SSR-DEC-2007
    AKV owners Jul 08
    SSR Dec 08
    SSR June 09
    New Baby Boy arrived Aug 3 2009 !! (our first)

Post Thanks / Like

Waiting until the bus would be hard...especially with a 12 year old son, who will probably be wondering why you're packing so many clothes for a three day trip. So what about this:

Tell the 12 year old (maybe around Christmas), so they can help plan the whole thing, but keep it a secret from the 10 and 5 year olds. That way, your oldest can kind of feel a bit more grown up.

Don't get me wrong...waiting until the bus sounds like a blast...and the dinner poem is very cute (although, it is difficult to get Disney Characters to deliver items to the table, since there is a liability issue...but maybe not a problem with just a piece of paper). I just know that there is no way I could hold a secret for that long...but having the 12 year old in on it may make it easier.

Either way...CONGRATS! And have fun!
    Steve

Ohana means family....
    Schultzy means crazy family!

Last Trip: November 2015 At POP

Next Trip: May 2017 at POP...again. Unless the FP+ thing isn't worked out. Then we'll go to Dollywood. Or just stay home and look at pictures.

Post Thanks / Like

I too would want to wait until the bus but BrerShultzy is right, any of the kids might might figure out something is up with so much clothing and luggage for a just a few days at WDW - even many 5 yo are that observant. They also are going to figure it out when they will have to plan for missing school for that long. Because of that, I'd probably opt for the Christmas idea. Good luck on keeping the secret. I know I couldn't!
    Kathy ºoº

LET'S GO BUCS!

Next trip - June '14

Past trips:
    6/13, 4/13, 7/12, 7/11, 1/11, 8/10, 7/09, 3/09, 8/08, 8/07, 12/06, 9/05, 7/03, 7/98, 5/96, 8/93, '70's X 2

Post Thanks / Like

Hurray, Lisa! I'm so excited for you that you are going on this trip after having to cancel the last one!!!

I would wait until boarding the bus to the cruise. Blame the extra luggage on the variations in temperature common in February.

Congratulations!

Amy
    "I shall call him Squishy and he shall be mine. And he shall be my Squishy."

"Just keep swimming...just keep swimming...just keep swimming, swimming, swimming...What do we do, we...swim...swim"

Previous trips: Dolphin/ASMo, CBR, AKL, Pop, WL
    Upcoming trip: Spring Break at Pop

British Columbia, Canada (3408 miles from WDW!)
    Post Thanks / Like

I think I would go with telling them when you are at dinner on the last evening at WDW.

I know how hard it is to keep it a secret. I have booked the Mexican Riviera Cruise for June 2008. My boys turn 13 two weeks before we go and I am giving it to them as a Birthday present. But I have to wait for 14 more months and try to keep it a secret...so hard to do! But what fun it will be to see their faces.

Good luck, and however you decide to tell them...it will be such a wonderful surprise!
    ~Lynne~

On deck, you scabrous dogs! Man the braces! Let down and haul to run free. Now...bring me that horizon

DCL 2008 Mexico, 2011 Alaska, 2013 Caribbean
    WDW 2000, 2003, 2005, 2007, 2010, 2013, 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019
    Disneyland 2015, 2004,1993,1992, 1991,1973

Post Thanks / Like

Kids are very intuitive these days and could possibly suspect something is up with the extra luggage.

Personally, I'd opt with a special Christmas gift. The build-up to a trip is half the fun - you could all plan on what y'all wanna do every day instead of being 'shell shocked' at the last moment.
    Disney is life......the rest is just details!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mousefever View Post
    Hurray, Lisa! I'm so excited for you that you are going on this trip after having to cancel the last one!!!

I would wait until boarding the bus to the cruise. Blame the extra luggage on the variations in temperature common in February.

Congratulations!

Amy
    Thanks Amy! I was just thinking of you. While at WDW last month, we had sent some of the same "magic" to someone from Intercot that needed it that you had sent for us last year. My kids and I talked about you and how God had given us the chance to "pay it forward". Hope all is well with you!
    ~Lisa aka Tinkermom

DVC Member since 05/01

Most Recent Trips:
    12/28/12-1/4/13 OKW to watch our son and his HS marching band on Main Street on NYE!

Post Thanks / Like

OH! How wonderful! I love surprises! I you for being able to keep a secret for so long!

Anywho, I like the boarding of the bus idea...but I think giving them atleast a few more hours of excitement might be nice.

Have you given any thought to having a "package" delivered to your hotel room from "Mickey" letting them know about the surprise?

That way, when you come back from dinner, there it is. That is what I would do anyways...that and during dinner keep bringing up the fact we are going home soon and everyone needs to pack tonight.

I like to bring them down, so I can build them up.
    Aug 2006-POFQ & MWC
    Feb 2007-DL
    Jan 2008-POP/DCL
    Sept 2009-Cont
    May 2010-POP
    May 2011-Poly/YC
    Sept 2011-Cont
    April 2012-POP
    Jan 2013- AKL
    Sept 2013- BLT/Swan
    Upcoming Trips
    April 2015- Cont/BWI

Post Thanks / Like

I'd keep it a surprise, that's what we did for our trip last April, we didn't tell the kids until we got to the airport!! It was a great surprise!! Our next trip next April is a land sea vacation, but not a surprise this time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marlyn View Post
    I think I would go with telling them when you are at dinner on the last evening at WDW.

I know how hard it is to keep it a secret. I have booked the Mexican Riviera Cruise for June 2008. My boys turn 13 two weeks before we go and I am giving it to them as a Birthday present. But I have to wait for 14 more months and try to keep it a secret...so hard to do! But what fun it will be to see their faces.

Good luck, and however you decide to tell them...it will be such a wonderful surprise!
    How cool Lynne! Are you finding yourself starting to say something about the cruise and then stopping yourself last minute? LOL! We went out to dinner last night and our server was not so good, I almost said something about the awesome servers on the cruise that I have read about. Yikes! I am sure I will get to a point where the cruise is not top on my mind. We are going to WDW and the beach this summer so I really need to get planning that trip!
    ~Lisa aka Tinkermom

DVC Member since 05/01

Most Recent Trips:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkermom View Post
    Thanks Amy! I was just thinking of you. While at WDW last month, we had sent some of the same "magic" to someone from Intercot that needed it that you had sent for us last year. My kids and I talked about you and how God had given us the chance to "pay it forward". Hope all is well with you!
    Well, I'm glad you were able to go last month too! I'm happy that you and your kids were able to help someone else out. It's good for the kiddos to know how that feels. (Knowing how kind you are, I'm sure the kids have been able to learn this lesson far before now.)

We are planning our next trip for January 2008. There's a good chance for an Oct. trip to the KC conference too.

Amy

"I shall call him Squishy and he shall be mine. And he shall be my Squishy."

"Just keep swimming...just keep swimming...just keep swimming, swimming, swimming...What do we do, we...swim...swim"

Previous trips: Dolphin/ASMo, CBR, AKL, Pop, WL
    Upcoming trip: Spring Break at Pop

Post Thanks / Like

Default They're All Fabulous!

I love all your ideas. My only concern with the last-minute surprise is that sometimes the younger ones don't take to it too well. We surprised our then 5 and 3-year old children with a WDW trip. We had told them we were going to Hersheypark in PA. When we said we tricked them and were really going to Disney World, my 5-year old smiled but my 3-year old cried all the way to the airport that she wanted to go to Hersheypark!
    " But you see, I have the other slipper! "

1987 - Off Site
    1995 - Off Site
    2001 - All-Star Sports
    2005 - All-Star Music
    Next Trip - September 2009 - Port Orleans - Riverside

British Columbia, Canada (3408 miles from WDW!)
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkermom View Post
    How cool Lynne! Are you finding yourself starting to say something about the cruise and then stopping yourself last minute? LOL! We went out to dinner last night and our server was not so good, I almost said something about the awesome servers on the cruise that I have read about. Yikes! I am sure I will get to a point where the cruise is not top on my mind. We are going to WDW and the beach this summer so I really need to get planning that trip!
    It is very hard not to say something. I live on Vancouver island and all summer long the cruise ships to Alaska sail by my house and my boys always ask me "Mom, when can we go on a Cruise?". It will be so hard to not tell them!

Whatever you decide to do, it will ba magical! Happy Planning!
    ~Lynne~

On deck, you scabrous dogs! Man the braces! Let down and haul to run free. Now...bring me that horizon

DCL 2008 Mexico, 2011 Alaska, 2013 Caribbean
    WDW 2000, 2003, 2005, 2007, 2010, 2013, 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019
    Disneyland 2015, 2004,1993,1992, 1991,1973

Post Thanks / Like

I like the idea when the bus comes too

'the only thing that counts is the love of duty; when love & duty are one, then grace is in you & you will enjoy a happiness which passes all understanding.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: