Quantcast Disney Hosts Program To Hitch Gay Couples - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Very well said, Bill.
    ~Rhi~

Former Disneyland CM - 1997-1998
    All Star Sports - April 2002
    POFQ Disneymoon - July 2005

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Howell, MI (Detroit) - 1176 miles from the Wilderness Lodge
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    However; don’t limit your thinking to disallow two people who love each other and want to spend their lives together from standing before their family and friends and proclaim their love for each other and before whatever god they choose.
    My hope is that in time, everyone will open their minds and come to the understanding that everyone is different, and everyone deserves a chance to spend their lives in a way that makes them happy. After all, is that not the principle of what this country was founded on
    I think you're simplifying the issue a bit. Are we not also excluding many other types of relationships where those individuals also want to be 'happy'?
    Up Next:
    1/2016 - VGC - Disneyland

1996 - Off Site
    1998 - Off Site
    1999 - FW Cabins
    2000 - ASM
    2000 - FW Cabins
    2001 - ASM
    2002 - Wilderness Lodge & Fairy Tale Wedding
    2004 - ASMu
    2006 - VWL
    2007 - CSR
    2008 - SSR
    2009 - VWL
    2011 - POR & BWV
    2013 - AKL - Kidani
    2015 - Disneyland

Post Thanks / Like

i dont usually post, but i have to say, Bill, that was amazing. i completely 100% agree with you.

To everyone else...
    If gay marriage/civil union (whatever you want to call it), does ot effect you in any way, what does it matter to you? is it hurting you? no. so let people do what they want. I applaud Disney for allowing same sex couples have a ceremony at WDW. i think this is one great step in the right direction!

-mallory

mttafire Guest

I decided to completely change my post..Although my feelings on this issue have not changed, I cant stand to see this thread go in the direction that it did.,, Shawn

Post Thanks / Like

The point I make is that Disney once again (like in the 90's when it granted domestic partner benefits) has recognized a valuable part of our society, and opened their doors even wider to that part of our society. It shows remarkable courage to do this. They choose not to buy into the idea that gay people will be the downfall of western civilization. And they choose to confront the ensuing backlash head-on (dont tell me you dont think that southern baptist conference is not planning something for this).

Post Thanks / Like

I am a conservative christian who happens to love WDW. I really feel Disney tries to be fair to everyone. There is the Night of Joy for Christian music. It is still called Mickey's Very Merry CHRISTMAS Party (not holiday party). While I do not support gay marriage I really don't care if someone wants to have a ceremony as long as I don't have to participate. Walt Disney World is not a church or religious organization. Though I am not going to celebrate this recent decision, I am also not going to worry about it.
    Walt Disney World Trips:
    April '91, '93 Magic Kingdom with HS Band
    November '93, '03, '04, '06, '10
    January '08, December '08
    Fall '11 New Central Florida Resident
    February '10: Disney Wonder Cruise
    November '12: Disney Dream Cruise
    DVC Member since 2006
    Annual Pass Holder

Post Thanks / Like

Its a ceremony, not a marriage. Now anyone who wants a ceremony can. This can range from people who want a special ceremony for their relationship, to marriage, to renewing of vows.

I think that its great, and allows for everyone to enjoy the great service Disney provides.

Gay Days is not sponsored by Disney, but they cannot keep them from buying group tickets. If any large group is wanting to rent the park out after hours and has the money, I'm sure they allow them such. They do have Night of Joy, so why can't a large group of gay people buy group tickets?

There may be a lot of controversy over this, but it doesn't personally affect me in any way, shape, or form. All people have a right to be happy. If a group wants to publicly share a uniting ceremony with their family and friends at a special place at Disney, its great, why should that only be allowed to certain people?

Note that this rule isn't specifically for same sex marriage. It just allows a ceremony for them, and anyone else wanting to have one without a marriage license.
    Morgan- DVC, AP, Perfect Princess, Married at Disney
    Off-site * POFQ * ASMu * POR * FW * BWI/V * Dolphin * AKL-Jambo/Kidani * WL * ASSp * Swan * POP * CBR * OKW * CSR * ASMo * BLT * SSR * AoA * DCL-Platinum * DLParis * DLR

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

A few points I'd like to make ...

First and foremost, anyone who thinks Disney did this out of some philanthropical desire to be more progressive and inclusive is fooling themselves. Disney's a corporation and they made the decision with the same motive every corporation makes every decision ... the bottom line.

In this case, it was two fold ... they were probably afraid of being sued and they now have a new customer base for their ceremonies.

My second point is this ... I'm actually very surprised that Disney previously excluded gay and lesbian couples from their ceremonies. They're a public company and it's against the law for them to discriminate against anyone who is a member of a protected class.

At least I think it is? Can someone who's an attorney tell me if that's right or wrong? I honestly don't remember if it applies to employers and customers or only to employers and employees.

Anyway, I think Disney is just making a smart business decision. I highly doubt they had any altruistic motivations behind it.
    Ian șOș
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! ș0ș

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

MODERATOR NOTE!

Okay ... I've had to edit no less than three posts in this thread for violating our terms of service.

DO NOT, in any way shape or form, post responses to this thread that are personal in nature or potentially inflammatory.

That includes calling out other people and being directly critical of their points of view.

Play nice or we'll shut this thread down.
    Ian șOș
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! ș0ș

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WDWacky View Post
    My second point is this ... I'm actually very surprised that Disney previously excluded gay and lesbian couples from their ceremonies. They're a public company and it's against the law for them to discriminate against anyone who is a member of a protected class.
    I'm leaving personal views out of this. Just to respond, there would have been no grounds for a suit because Disney wasn't discriminating based upon sexual orientation. The policy was they only did ceremonies for those "with a valid marriage license." So, the only reason gays/lesbians were excluded is because they are not able to obtain a valid marriage license. Disney saw the potential dollar signs for waiving that clause and did so. I totally agree that it has nothing to do with making a cultural statement. It's all about the almighty green. This is not just about gays/lesbians, though. It's becoming increasingly popular in this culture to do "commitment" ceremonies for those who do not wish to be legally married but want to make some sort of public profession to each other. Just one more revenue source.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

Post Thanks / Like

This will probably be a hot topic for Disney for a while but in a year or maybe even less no one will give it a second thought.
    Off Site-- All Star Movies-- Pop Century-- Coronado Springs-- Port Orleans French Quarter
    Walt Disney-"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."

Post Thanks / Like

I just want to add that I seriously doubt Disney is doing this to show that they're in favor of 'gay marriage' - it's just another way for them to make money.
    See You Real Soon!

Post Thanks / Like

I say bravo! I am gay, out and proud and also a moderator here on INTERCOT. Although I would never in my life have a DL or WDW commitment ceremony, I think it's great that some other people will have that option. And since LOTS of Gays and Lesbians have a huge disposable income I say bring on the money! Disney is a company, not a non-profit organization, anything they can do to drive up their stock helps ALL Disney fans... more money means more rides, cleaner parks, better paid CMs -- everyone wins.
    Michael aka: NotaGeek

INTERCOT Insider Live Podcast Staff
    WDW 1/6/16 - 1/11/16 - BRING ON THE COWBELLS!

Please s
    upport INTERCOT Sponsors!

Post Thanks / Like

I wish I could afford a wedding ceremony there!!
    01-93 off sight
    03-04 POP
    08-04 POP
    03-05 POP
    11-05 POP
    06-06 POR
    05-07 CSR
    01-08 POP
    07-08 POR
    03-09 ASMU
    08-09 POP
    08-10 POP
    02-11 POP

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Donald A View Post
    I am a conservative christian who happens to love WDW. I really feel Disney tries to be fair to everyone. There is the Night of Joy for Christian music. It is still called Mickey's Very Merry CHRISTMAS Party (not holiday party). While I do not support gay marriage I really don't care if someone wants to have a ceremony as long as I don't have to participate. Walt Disney World is not a church or religious organization. Though I am not going to celebrate this recent decision, I am also not going to worry about it.
    Right, right, right!
    1972 Offsite
    '74 Polynesian ($27/night)
    '78 Quality Inn aka Sheraton Studio City
    '80 Disneyland
    '97 Hilton
    '98, '99 All Star Music
    2000, '01, '02 All Star Movies
    '05 Animal Kingdom Lodge
    '06, '07, '08, '10, '11 Pop Century
    '07 Disneyland Paris (daytrip)
    '11 Dream cruise

Post Thanks / Like

Personally (I consider myself on the Christian Left, FYI), while I doubt it was something Walt would have done (from what I read he was quite conservative), I am glad that Disney is doing this. Personally, I think that the terms in which Disney is doing this (needing it to be a legit marriage with a license) are well thought out should make most people satisfied. Everything that Bill said is exactly what I think... I would vote for you if you were in my area

Although mjaclyn might have a decent point.

Also, we'll probably be seeing another ABA-like "boycott" of Disney.

Post Thanks / Like

To each his/her own, live and let live, etc.! Kudos to Disney for taking this step into the 20th century.
    The world is ever changing and you just have to roll with the tide or drive yourself absolutely crazy fighting against it.
    șOș KATHY, addicted since 1989 șOș

Laughter is Timeless * Imagination has no age * Dreams are forever

Next Up.....
    Nov. '09 @ Pop

September '89, offsite **October '98, offsite** April '06, Pop Century ** December '07, Pop Century ** Nov. '08, Caribbean Beach

Post Thanks / Like

For some reason I already thought they were doing these, seeing as how they had anniversary ceremonies, and conventions and any other profitable venture they could do.

Post Thanks / Like

To the original poster: thanks for the post, but does anyone have the actual Disney release? I hate reading the third party interpretation of the Disney press release. One problem is with the statement about “Gay” couples now being allowed to participate in the “Fairly Tale Wedding” program. My understanding is gay couples have always been allowed to participate in this. A gay man and a lesbian could get married and participate in this ceremony. I think it is same sex couples that are now being permitted to take part.
    Last edited by Figment!; 04-08-2007 at 09:09 PM. Reason: Off-Topic Comments Removed

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by caryrae View Post
    This will probably be a hot topic for Disney for a while but in a year or maybe even less no one will give it a second thought.
    Maybe not for most people, but it really saddens me...I'll probably be taking a closer look at the "Vacation Planning Beyond Disney" forum. I don't believe that making a profit is a justifiable reason to do what they're doing. I won't go any further...I'd probably get edited.
    Wrong will be right, when Aslan comes in sight,
    At the sound of his roar, sorrows will be no more,
    When he bares his teeth, winter meets its death,
    And when he shakes his mane, we shall have spring again.

Micki

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: